Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milkround Offers 2013/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 unknown1990

Hi guys, does anyone know if it's ok to physically go in to Deloitte with your letter of acceptance? I know I'm leaving this very late. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭April O Neill II

xiongnu wrote: »
    Maybe you should apply for some UK positions.

Trolololol.

And if not, good luck to you in your accounting career if you find it this hard to process information...

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭spillit67

I got an offer from one of the Big 4 in the past couple of days. They would have been my first choice but the fact it took them 6 weeks to get back to me means I'm out on them as I accepted one of the other ones. Nothing to do with feeling aggrieved that I clearly wasn't first choice for them, just the fact that it took them so long to get back to me. When they say in an interview they'll let you know in the next week then I'd appreciate feedback within a week. If I'm on a shortlist I'd prefer to be told.

spillit67 wrote: »
    I got an offer from one of the Big 4 in the past couple of days. They would have been my first choice but the fact it took them 6 weeks to get back to me means I'm out on them as I accepted one of the other ones. Nothing to do with feeling aggrieved that I clearly wasn't first choice for them, just the fact that it took them so long to get back to me. When they say in an interview they'll let you know in the next week then I'd appreciate feedback within a week. If I'm on a shortlist I'd prefer to be told.

Why didn't you enquire sooner about the outcome of your interview? Can't understand why people don't do this.

Why didn't you enquire sooner about the outcome of your interview? Can't understand why people don't do this.

Just like yourself with London, not everybody has to do that.

My attitude is simply that if they have an interest in you then they should get back to you like they say they would in the interview. If not it's all for yourself and wanting to get some feedback.

• Advertisement

Just like yourself with London, not everybody has to do that.

My attitude is simply that if they have an interest in you then they should get back to you like they say they would in the interview. If not it's all for yourself and wanting to get some feedback.

They've probably got some offer rejections back at this stage and probably couldn't promise you anything until they knew where they stood, so IMO the onus, like any interview, is on you to get feedback for yourself. I found out myself in the week after my KPMG that I was in the 'Yes' pile for if places become available, and saved myself a lot of wondering. Do what you wanna do, I just don't really get it.

They've probably got some offer rejections back at this stage and probably couldn't promise you anything until they knew where they stood, so IMO the onus, like any interview, is on you to get feedback for yourself. I found out myself in the week after my KPMG that I was in the 'Yes' pile for if places become available, and saved myself a lot of wondering. Do what you wanna do, I just don't really get it.

I'm well aware of that hence my OP:rolleyes:. However, when they say they will get back to you ASAP you appreciate it if they keep their word.

I'm well aware of that hence my OP:rolleyes:. However, when they say they will get back to you ASAP you appreciate it if they keep their word.

I agree, but it's an employer's market right now, so they don't really care if they piss potential employees off. Plenty more where that came from!

I agree, but it's an employer's market right now, so they don't really care if they piss potential employees off. Plenty more where that came from!

The Big 4 and the ones just behind them are still in competition.

The Big 4 and the ones just behind them are still in competition.

They still have a huge choice of excellent candidates, way more than their combined available places. A far cry from the boom years. They really were competing seriously with each other then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 country slicker999

Anyone accept KPMG audit offer in Dub???

So, out of interest, did anyone hear back from Grant Thornton re: tax?

Or hear anything at all from RBK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

Anyone accept KPMG audit offer in Dub???

Yeah, me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Accounting89

So, out of interest, did anyone hear back from Grant Thornton re: tax?

Or hear anything at all from RBK?

Hey, I got an email from Grant Thorton acknowleging my application there a while back but heard nothing since.
    I also did an interview with RBK but did not get a position.

So far my outcomes have been;
    KPMG; Interview Unsuccessful
    Deloitte; Interview Unsuccessful
    PWC; Interview Unsuccessful
    EY; PFO straight up - my dislike of them must have been evident in my application
    BDO; Interview Unsuccessful
    Mazars: PFO Straight up - again half hearted application
    RBK; Interview Unsuccessful
    Baker Tilly; Interview Unsuccessful
    Grant Thorton; Application Acknowledged
    RSM FGS; Application Acknowledged
    Moore Stephans; no word
    Crowehorwath; no word

Like you, I have applied for tax in each firm although I'm beginning to think my personality stinks, I don't think it would be as bad if I didn't get as many interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cat_xx

Hey, I got an email from Grant Thorton acknowleging my application there a while back but heard nothing since.

So far my outcomes have been;
    KPMG; Interview Unsuccessful
    Deloitte; Interview Unsuccessful
    PWC; Interview Unsuccessful
    EY; PFO straight up - my dislike of them must have been evident in my application
    BDO; Interview Unsuccessful
    Mazars: PFO Straight up - again half hearted application
    RBK; Interview Unsuccessful
    Baker Tilly; Interview Unsuccessful
    Grant Thorton; Application Acknowledged
    RSM FGS; Application Acknowledged
    Moore Stephans; no word
    Crowehorwath; no word

Like you, I have applied for tax in each firm although I'm beginning to think my personality stinks, I don't think it would be as bad if I didn't get as many interviews.

You are getting interviews so you are doing something right! If you are still in college I suggest you go to career services and talk to them about doing a mock interview? Because most of these interviews are competency based and they are looking for you to follow a format for answering questions!

Yeah I think I will do that if I get any more.
    I think my problem is I was too fortcoming and honest about personnal circumstances that have put me at a disadvantage. I probably should have kept my mouth shut but I thought honesty was the best policy, (I still do, it just dosn't always work).
    Thanks though!

I didn't hear anything for RBK, didn't even get a PFO. :D So take heart.

You got a LOT of interviews, actually! I only got the one and was unsuccessful.

I think my problem is I was too fortcoming and honest about personnal circumstances that have put me at a disadvantage. I probably should have kept my mouth shut but I thought honesty was the best policy, (I still do, it just dosn't always work).
    Thanks though!

Definitely do! I did it and I found it very beneficial. Also I do think personal circumstances can be off putting depending on what they are. I know from my own experience that saying it didn't work in my favor!

BDO called me earlier and offered me a job! Can't believe it!

cat_xx wrote: »
    BDO called me earlier and offered me a job! Can't believe it!

Wow! Someone must have turned down their offer.

• Advertisement

Wow! Someone must have turned down their offer.

No a new position opened up to start in january!

No a new position opened up to start in january!

Ooh, yes, I saw that advertised. Well done! Are you finished college?

Ooh, yes, I saw that advertised. Well done! Are you finished college?

Yep finished last may! Only decided to go down the tax route recently!

Yep finished last may! Only decided to go down the tax route recently!

It's great to not have to wait until next Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 freema

what department was the job in?

Thanks though!

Accounting89, did you ever look for feedback?

You got loads of interview, so clearly you give good application.

You just need to get better at selling yourself. I had difficult personal circumstances a few years back which lengthened my degree and seriously effected my grades for a number of years (a serious long-term illness) but I found that honestly was the best policy for me (within reason, I'm not going to bore them with my life story). I got a very good graduate job. (different discipline, I'm changing careers)

It's likely you were shortlisted for some of the positions. Find out! And places come up later in the year too.

Accounting89, did you ever look for feedback?

You got loads of interview, so clearly you give good application.

You just need to get better at selling yourself. I had difficult personal circumstances a few years back which lengthened my degree and seriously effected my grades for a number of years (a serious long-term illness) but I found that honestly was the best policy for me (within reason, I'm not going to bore them with my life story). I got a very good graduate job. (different discipline, I'm changing careers)

It's likely you were shortlisted for some of the positions. Find out! And places come up later in the year too.

Hey, yeah I sought feedback from them all but only recieved it from a few firms.
    My feedback was very vaugue and generic but at the time of my interviews my daughter was only 8 weeks old, so I cant help but feel that that had a major weighting in their judgement, esp considering the lack of detail in my feedback.
    I have since been told by a lecturer and careers advisor, (both off the record) to leave all personal details outside the interview room so to speak but I naively thought honesty was the best policy.

I don't follow, what's wrong with you having a young daughter? Maybe sometimes it's good to leave out personal details, but disclosing relevant personal always worked in my favour, because I turned it into a positive ie. getting a very good degree against the odds.

That's actually exactly what I tried to do, I attempted to emphasise my determination to succeed through that fact that I'm back in college and keeping my average up dispite everything.
    I'm not accusing any firm of discrimination but I guess it's reasonably to have a natural preference for candidates with less restrictions or at least I'm assuming so.
    I will meet with the careers advisor before any further interviews for advice but I think I will still be honest in my interviews, at least I'll have a clear conscience and whatever happens happens

• Advertisement

freema wrote: »
    what department was the job in?

Tax.

Advertisement