Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community - Season 5 [US] **Spoilers!!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Yep enjoyed that, Shirley's joke about not getting enough focus was brilliant. I think we need a group about the full episode, they haven't done one since Troy left, instead splitting the group up into different threads.

Yeh I also enjoyed the Chang storyline, and the Dean/Dunan exchange at the end was hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

That was a brilliant episode for everyone, even Annie and Shirley for what little we saw of them. (I think next week's episode is a Shirley episode too for all you fans out there ;))There were a ton of great gags and some great emotional moments, particularly with Abed and prof. Hickey.

The old timey photo gag was my favourite I think, I was almost in tears from laughing at it. The end tag with the Dean and Duncan was hilarious as well, they work really well together.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah Community would stop, 7 great episodes out of 7? C'mon, give us something to grumble about! Yeah that was a highly enjoyable episode and really hit some solid character beats mixed among the laughs; the banter between Jeff and Duncan was great, I loved the Chang sections - never thought I'd say that! - and the credits gag with Duncan & Dean was a hoot.

Britta and Abed really needed some fleshing out, and while it was inevitable Abed would deal with the fallout over the departure of Troy, it was good to see the empty shell that was Britta finally get addressed and given some better focus and direction. Perhaps this is the first step in going back to the season 1 Britta rather than the maniacal punchline she became. What was equally smart was that in many respects this was an episode about Duncan & Hickey as it was about Britta & Abed, but they paired off and the new characters got a chance to stretch their legs and gain their own sense of direction. There's no doubt they're great additions to the cast; Pearce who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

It's interesting, cause I'm seeing a good bit of dislike of this episode on other sites. Personally, I really liked it. Hickey and Duncan both had fantastic episodes, and I like how Abed's character has changed ever so slightly since Troy has left. It seems like Danny Pudi has changed his vocal mannerisms for Abed slightly or something? It makes Abed much more interesting for me anyway, as I feel like he had stalled quite a bit in the last few seasons. I was getting pretty bored of him tbh. Happy to see an episode with not much Annie in it. I've realised that I'm really not a fan of her.

Also, I totes ship Britta and Duncan now xx<33333xx

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Seren_ wrote: »
    Happy to see an episode with not much Annie in it. I've realised that I'm really not a fan of her.

[IMG]http://ed_wp-content_v2.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/britta-surprised.gif[/IMG]

• Advertisement

I'll have to watch it again, was only half paying attention and from the reactions here I'm guessing I missed a good bit :P

Seren_ wrote: »
    It's interesting, cause I'm seeing a good bit of dislike of this episode on other sites. Personally, I really liked it. Hickey and Duncan both had fantastic episodes, and I like how Abed's character has changed ever so slightly since Troy has left. It seems like Danny Pudi has changed his vocal mannerisms for Abed slightly or something? It makes Abed much more interesting for me anyway, as I feel like he had stalled quite a bit in the last few seasons. I was getting pretty bored of him tbh. Happy to see an episode with not much Annie in it. I've realised that I'm really not a fan of her.

Also, I totes ship Britta and Duncan now xx<33333xx

Completely agree with everything except the shipping thing. Jeff and Britta fo lyf xoxoxo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Jeff thing with Britta was weird, seemed to come out of nowhere: I had thought he was well over her and it was Annie who occupied his suppressed romantic thoughts?

I think it was more to do with Jeff just being shallow, he suddenly liked Britta again because everyone else did.

phasers wrote: »
    I think it was more to do with Jeff just being shallow, he suddenly liked Britta again because everyone else did.

"I hated Reese's Pieces before ET ate them"

• Advertisement

Going to stockpile a few episodes of this to watch toward the end of this series. Really enjoyed the first 5 episodes and if the quality keeps up I can really see a future for the show.

Quite surprised that Richard Dower hasn't been in here under his new alias spouting crap about the show. Must be killing him that the show is doing so well considering that he spent 4 years saying that the show wouldn't get renewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I did come out of the first Hickey/Abed bit thinking, in the words of Jim, "What the hell?".
    (Speaking of which: http://jimtheduck.tumblr.com/)

Wasn't really sure it was working. But overall, solid episode. The whole Chang thing was fantastic.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

phasers wrote: »

There is also the fact that they may be making Britta back into a character of substance like she was in S1. Nobody would have been attracted to her for long since then (the bizarre Troy relationship aside) as she had no personality to be attracted to.

iguana wrote: »
    There is also the fact that they may be making Britta back into a character of substance like she was in S1. Nobody would have been attracted to her for long since then (the bizarre Troy relationship aside) as she had no personality to be attracted to.

I actually think think they gave her a personality as she went on, it turned out she wasn't just a boring cliché anarchist. They explored what that meant and how she struggled to fit the perception she wanted people to have of her. I think the best of example of this was the mocumentary in hospital when Pierce gave her the blank cheque. I think Britta and Jeff are actually quite similar in that they do things in order to gain validation from others, they're both majorly insecure.

I recently acquired season 1 haven't watched it in a while so I'm going to have fun watching and seeing how the characters have/haven't changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hate the way every Abed scene has to be a cheesy emotional journey now, they've ruined one of the best characters, he hasn't done anything funny this season. Also the forensics professor bits were terrible, they just didnt work. The whole character doesn't work, he was in Breaking Bad, whoop de doo, you can tell they'd already hired him for that to try and grab some of the BB legions of fans before they even had a character in mind and now he seems shoehorned in whenever he appears.

Pity because everything else has been great, needs more Dean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Thargor wrote: »
    Hate the way every Abed scene has to be a cheesy emotional journey now, they've ruined one of the best characters, he hasn't done anything funny this season. Also the forensics professor bits were terrible, they just didnt work. The whole character doesn't work, he was in Breaking Bad, whoop de doo, you can tell they'd already hired him for that to try and grab some of the BB legions of fans before they even had a character in mind and now he seems shoehorned in whenever he appears.

Pfft. H6uLUSz.gif

And Hickey is one of the best characters this season. Definitely works.

[...]The whole character doesn't work, he was in Breaking Bad, whoop de doo, you can tell they'd already hired him for that to try and grab some of the BB legions of fans before they even had a character in mind and now he seems shoehorned in whenever he appears.[..]

How can you tell? I wasn't aware there was a huge Community / Breaking Bad crossover of fans, and don't get the sense it's stunt casting at all tbh; admittedly I haven't watched BB from when Jonathan Banks joins so maybe it's more obvious to fans, but to me Hickey has been a good addition with his no nonsense pragmatism - it has been a needed dose of reality in comparison with the rest of the group - but at no point have I thought 'hey, is this a BB thing?' ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

You seem to be talking out of your hat there, Thargor

in the words of Jim the duck: what the hell?

Abed's emotional journey makes total sense, he's lost Troy and is regressing to his season 1 self. He's always had emotional problems and it would be totally ridiculous if he were just completely fine after losing Troy.

Johnathan Banks is just amazing, full stop. And I've never watched Breaking Bad (yet)

I have to agree that Banks has been an excellent addition to cast, a great replacement Pierce without being a complete rehash of the same character. There's a sadness to him, as seen in his efforts with Jim and his post credit phone calls, that really works with the craziness of Greendale. You don't a minor part in Airplane! without having some comedic attributes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Also the forensics professor bits were terrible, they just didnt work. The whole character doesn't work, he was in Breaking Bad, whoop de doo, you can tell they'd already hired him for that to try and grab some of the BB legions of fans before they even had a character in mind and now he seems shoehorned in whenever he appears..

Nonsense! They definitely hired him to rope in the Wiseguy fans

You seem to be talking out of your hat there, Thargor

Off Topic, but I have been curious - guessing your username change was inspired by Mr. Burton's recent return cameo in Community? ;) Love it either way though :)

pixelburp wrote: »
    Off Topic, but I have been curious - guessing your username change was inspired by Mr. Burton's recent return cameo in Community? ;) Love it either way though :)

I decided on the change during a marathon of Next Generation, but yes the Community cameo did add to my desire to have it be my username.
    Have a look at my Location underneath my avatar - just a little easter egg I added for my Community peeps... ;)

Ratings dropped again. I'm getting nervous.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Ratings dropped again. I'm getting nervous.

I wouldn't be too nervous. After the Olympics break you need to give it a week or so, lot of people wouldn't realise that the show was back on.

Rewatched Season 1 - Advanced Criminal Law last night and I had completely forgotten that Duncan has had an interest in Brittaa since season 1. Also for the pub quizzers, it features the first appearance of Leonard, and Troy and Abed's handshake.

Also, the lyrics to 'The Way It Is (Greendale)'

Standing in a bookstore line
    Waiting for the bell to chime
    So you can go to class
    Dancing in your underwear
    Taking air conditioner repair
    So you can get a job

Genius.

I rate that episode 5 Meow Meow Beanz or 1 Meow Meow Beanz, whichever means it was really good... No Meow Meow Beanz?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Oh god I actually didnt see that turn of events into the 70's sci fi setting.

Really love that kind of setting so I'm incredibly bias :D

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Koogler was a great character, hopefully he will be back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

That was the greatest thing I have ever seen.

Advertisement