Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a fan of the John Creedon show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Where’s Lally.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Not hardcore dylan by any means but am liking the new record. A lot!

That version of Dreams johns been playing the last few nights though? Very mediocre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

In the car earlier and I loudly listened to Carlos Santana :cool:

The new Bob Dylan album.

tenor.gif

Ah here. Murder Most Foul is up there with The Lonesome Death of Hattie Caroll, back in 1964. I hope Creedon played it (Murder), but it's terribly long. Listen again. In parts of the song, he's almost growling, and in a voice as languid as a blackbird, he goes, "Blew off his head while he was still in the car". Sublime. I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,654 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

‘Like Kids’ by Suede played before...good call :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Haven't heard 'Country House' in a while, sure why not! I was half hoping he would play 'Roll With It' straight after as a nod to the 'Battle of Britpop'.

Nearly 25 years ago now, how time flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

my god this Bob dylan tune is wrist slitting inducing :(

fryup wrote: »

Don’t let Lally hear you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

'The Crystal Ship' and 'Roadhouse Blues' back-to-back. Good stuff there, John.

fryup wrote: »

Delete your account.

• Advertisement

DuhJerk wrote: »
    Anyone know the song playing behind the advert for his show? Sounded like a nice tune

Just heard the ad today. If it's the same one the tune is an old John Martyn track called Fairy Tale Lullaby from the album London Conversation. And yes, it is rather great.

Ah here. Murder Most Foul is up there with The Lonesome Death of Hattie Caroll, back in 1964. I hope Creedon played it (Murder), but it's terribly long. Listen again. In parts of the song, he's almost growling, and in a voice as languid as a blackbird, he goes, "Blew off his head while he was still in the car". Sublime. I love it.

John’s playing it right now!

Can’t listen to this song without thinking of this... :D

Kris Kristofferson. Always welcome.

Pugwash. Also always welcome. :)

2200 always welcome

Seriously, if you don’t like ‘Midnight Train To Georgia’, you are dead inside.

61617734.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

61617734.jpg
    That was my request! :D

(Which I missed, due to watching the amazing Courage / Other Voices set being broadcast from Genveagh - Neil Hannon, Cathy Davey and Eve Belle, all fantastic voices, couldn't recommend it highly enough! Avl on YouTube)

But my request for John Creedon was consolation for him not being able to help me with a bloody song that's going around in my head for the last while, and I CANNOT FIND IT!

I am almost convinced thats it's an Everly Brothers song (but I might be wrong) - it's a country-ish, sort of stompy kind of rhythm, very tuneful, and there's an uilleann pipes accompaniment throughout, and a solo "verse" of the pipes..... I've heard it on the odd occasion on Radio 1 (maybe John Creedon, maybe Ronan Collins, can't remember, but that kind of programme).

It's driving me completely bonkers trying to identify it - I've googled every search variation I can think of, to no avail...... anyone able to help me out here???

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

(Which I missed, due to watching the amazing Courage / Other Voices set being broadcast from Genveagh - Neil Hannon, Cathy Davey and Eve Belle, all fantastic voices, couldn't recommend it highly enough! Avl on YouTube)

But my request for John Creedon was consolation for him not being able to help me with a bloody song that's going around in my head for the last while, and I CANNOT FIND IT!

I am almost convinced thats it's an Everly Brothers song (but I might be wrong) - it's a country-ish, sort of stompy kind of rhythm, very tuneful, and there's an uilleann pipes accompaniment throughout, and a solo "verse" of the pipes..... I've heard it on the odd occasion on Radio 1 (maybe John Creedon, maybe Ronan Collins, can't remember, but that kind of programme).

It's driving me completely bonkers trying to identify it - I've googled every search variation I can think of, to no avail...... anyone able to help me out here???

There's a solo pipes verse in Everly Brothers version of Rose Connolly though not sure about the stompy rhythm bit so probably not it.

There's a solo pipes verse in Everly Brothers version of Rose Connolly though not sure about the stompy rhythm bit so probably not it.
    Noooo, that's nothing like it..... the one I'm thinking of is much more pop-y and lively..... it's so hard to describe in words! I can hear the tune in my head, but have no idea of any of the words, so very difficult to search.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway!

Noooo, that's nothing like it..... the one I'm thinking of is much more pop-y and lively..... it's so hard to describe in words! I can hear the tune in my head, but have no idea of any of the words, so very difficult to search.

Argh, that's so frustrating. I had that for weeks with a song once (Pumped up Kicks, Foster the People), it would drive you mad trying to remember it. Let us know when it comes back to you... it will, eventually.

‘Old And Wise’ - good call :)

I sometimes forget how good Dusty Springfield was. Lovely voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭cozar

“Murder most foul” bob dylan on the show tonight. Some song. It’s 16 mins long. Never heard it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭prodsc

cozar wrote: »
    “Murder most foul” bob dylan on the show tonight. Some song. It’s 16 mins long. Never heard it before.

great song to finish with..he can be home before the show finishes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Search shows Liam O' Flynn of Planxty on uileann pipes recorded with the Everly brothers if that might help. As a session musician apparently so could be a number of songs with him playing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liam_O%27Flynn

Planxty broke up in '83 which is when O'Flynn began working with other artists. So Everly Brothers albums around then and after would be a place to start.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_Yesterday_(album)

Liam credited with pipe playing on this album on Abandoned Love.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

That the one Heidi ?

• Advertisement

Heckler wrote: »
    That the one Heidi ?

Oh my god, you complete GENIUS!!!!

Thank you!!

(At last now I know I'm not raving!)

Advertisement