Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a fan of the John Creedon show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71,943 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

And now ‘The Long Shot’ by Megson - superb :)

My god, I was clean shaven when this Bob Dylan song started.

I now have a five o’clock shadow.

Great show this evening, a real antidote to the Clifden 81 great-bunch-of-lads. Pink Floyd and, to end the evening and the week, Led Zeppelin are climbing that Stairway to Heaven. Thanks John

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Has he ever played Hawkwind before on the show, have requested Silver Machine twice now and have not heard it, he has played heavier stuff before on the show, going off tuning into him now.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Great cover of Ode To Billie Joe by our own Sinead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Has he ever played Hawkwind before on the show, have requested Silver Machine twice now and have not heard it, he has played heavier stuff before on the show, going off tuning into him now.

I’m fairly sure that he has played it a few times. Certainly he regularly gives their bastard son Mötorhead a dust off once every so often.

Amazing song from The Unthanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭whatever76

Amazing song from The Unthanks.

which one he play - seen them a few times in Dublin and they put on a great show ! Amazing voices ..

whatever76 wrote: »
    which one he play - seen them a few times in Dublin and they put on a great show ! Amazing voices ..

‘The King Of Rome’, with The Brighouse and Rastrick Brass Band.

Epic and beautiful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Bus Boy

Anyone watching Shine on RTE 1? Creedo repeating on Radio tomorrow. Very impressive and a lot of Irish acts he supports too.

• Advertisement

Caught the show earlier, was a good listen. Especially liked the Cormac Begley bit, just love the sound he gets out of that bass concertina.

‘On Hyndford Street’ :)

Happy Birthday, Van!

I remember him singing this live on his 70th. Feels like only last week!! Utterly haunting.

Japan’s version of ‘I Second That Emotion’!

Ah yeah :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Coffee, Cigarettes and Tears by The Larks.

Well played, John. Well played.

Off to a cracking start.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Off to a cracking start.

And it's continuing. Excellent show tonight

Hello x 5 by Something Happens! :)

And now ‘Celebrate’ by An Emotional Fish :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Hello x 5 by Something Happens! :)

And now ‘Celebrate’ by An Emotional Fish :D

Nothing exciting there. Good songs, but can be heard any day of the week on Irish FM radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Nothing exciting there. Good songs, but can be heard any day of the week on Irish FM radio.

That’s what I can’t understand Fiesta, a lad would think aul Turnip Head had the only key to the gold vault of good music.

As you say can be heard any day of the week.

Has me flummoxed,so it has.

John is a nice lad though, no argument there.

• Advertisement

Part of its attraction from my point of view is the wide ranging and eclectic mix of genres, periods of time, moods, etc that’s on the show. Of course you can find most of the tracks somewhere online or on different shows, but the amalgam of heavy rock, traditional, folk, blues, you name it, in one show are what makes it stand out.

And he is a likeable man, which always helps.

For me it's the music, but it's not just the music too. Its the chat, the warmth, the general goofiness he carries off that never feels forced or strained, as with some presenters. Solemn or silly, blunt or convivial, he has a way about him that i think is unrivalled in his field. Philip King is ok too though i think he does ham it up a little bit on saturday nights.

Last week, for example, john told us that, contrary to popular myth, pigs can actually swim, though in the main, they mostly prefer not to. There are some breeds of pig with smaller trotters that can get in the way of their jowels when they swim and it can leave an awful mess. I mean, you wouldn't even get that on Attenborough for pitys sake!

And then he played a song which i cant recall. Something by Toots and the Maytals if memory serves. Killer track.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭bamayang

Is there a way of listening back? Have Radio 1 app, but dont see his show on it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

bamayang wrote: »
    Is there a way of listening back? Have Radio 1 app, but dont see his show on it?

I don't know about the app, but lots of shows accessible from the show's page on the main RTE site. Back months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

bamayang wrote: »

You can get the older shows on here :)

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/john-creedon/

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Listrydude

Part of its attraction from my point of view is the wide ranging and eclectic mix of genres, periods of time, moods, etc that’s on the show. Of course you can find most of the tracks somewhere online or on different shows, but the amalgam of heavy rock, traditional, folk, blues, you name it, in one show are what makes it stand out.

And he is a likeable man, which always helps.
      you have it in 1 right there! A rarity to listen to a show where you can be guaranteed to hear an amazing song of some kind of other probably for the first time. John's show keeps my Shazam busy!!

John’s story there about Mama’s Boys in a pizzeria put me in mind of Creme Brulee’s Les McQueen from ‘The League Of Gentlemen’...

“Everyone knew me round here...I'd walk in a urinal and heads would turn.”

:D

Ryland....yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I love Creedo's show, but Springsteen's show on Nova on Thursday nights is giving him a run for his money - great music choices, Dylan, the Stones, Strummer with the Mescaleros and some cheese (D-I-V-O-R-C-E, Centrefold).

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Bus Boy

And now a bit of Carole... Good work tonight John.

Advertisement