Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a fan of the John Creedon show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

And "The Soul of Carmen Miranda" by John Cale from an album mostly consisting of Dylan Thomas poems.Can't get the song out of my head today. Fortunately I dug out a cassette copy this afternoon and will listen to it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Dan Dare wrote: »
    And "The Soul of Carmen Miranda" by John Cale from an album mostly consisting of Dylan Thomas poems.Can't get the song out of my head today. Fortunately I dug out a cassette copy this afternoon and will listen to it later.

Cassette....luv it...:D

Still have a twin cassette Waldham 3 in 1....4 amp speakers...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 72,127 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Ian Dury...sorely missed misfit genius :)

Take your mum to Paris
    Lighting up the chalice
    Wee Willy Harris

Bantu Stephen Biko
    Listening to Rico
    Harpo, Groucho, Chico

Cheddar cheese and pickle
    The Vincent motorsickle
    Slap and tickle

Ian Dury...sorely missed misfit genius :)

Take your mum to Paris
    Lighting up the chalice
    Wee Willy Harris

Bantu Stephen Biko
    Listening to Rico
    Harpo, Groucho, Chico

Cheddar cheese and pickle
    The Vincent motorsickle
    Slap and tickle

Yeah...there ain't aff been sum clever basterds....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

The story behind the cassette player is that four or five years ago I pulled out a box of 300 cassette tapes and went through them. There was some great stuff there that I hadn't heard in years. I retrieved from the garden shed a four shelf unit made especially for tapes and put the unit on the sitting room wall, and dusted down the tapes and placed them (alphabetically) on said unit.

A week or so later I was walking through a flea market in Cork, and I saw a Phillips record player with twin cassette and radio for sale for a 100 euro. I bought it and it was the best money I ever sent. I also had about 70 vinyl records to which my son has added a few Floyd classics, Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and Animals! Happy Days.

• Advertisement

Dan Dare wrote: »
    The story behind the cassette player is that four or five years ago I pulled out a box of 300 cassette tapes and went through them. There was some great stuff there that I hadn't heard in years. I retrieved from the garden shed a four shelf unit made especially for tapes and put the unit on the sitting room wall, and dusted down the tapes and placed them (alphabetically) on said unit.

A week or so later I was walking through a flea market in Cork, and I saw a Phillips record player with twin cassette and radio for sale for a 100 euro. I bought it and it was the best money I ever sent. I also had about 70 vinyl records to which my son has added a few Floyd classics, Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and Animals! Happy Days.

Result....was that" Happy Days" album......Heyyyyy...K-tel.......:P
    VARIOUS_ARTISTS_HAPPY%2BDAYS-568646.jpg

Whilst my love of John’s radio show knows no bounds (as you can probably tell), I starting to get a fierce bang of Alan Partridge from his TV show ‘Creedon’s Road Less Travelled’!

The type of idea that sounds as if it could be pitched to Tony Hayers.

If RTÉ don’t do it, Sky will :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

On a late pickup from Terminal 1 tonight and it was the first time I tuned in to John. Such a beautiful mix of tunes and a lovely laid-back show, will certainly be making it my business to listen more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Noveight wrote: »
    On a late pickup from Terminal 1 tonight and it was the first time I tuned in to John. Such a beautiful mix of tunes and a lovely laid-back show, will certainly be making it my business to listen more often.

Welcome to a gem of a show!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,144 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As the OP, wondering what other shows fans of JC listen to on radio, just in case I'm missing another great show out there?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

NIMAN wrote: »
    As the OP, wondering what other shows fans of JC listen to on radio, just in case I'm missing another great show out there?

Paul McLoone

Pat James on Nova digital , he was on FM until recently, then Hayes took over nova and as he hates Pat shoved him onto digital...out of the way...;)..bit more rock/blues orientated show,...;)

For the more folk/trad/roots side, ‘Celtic Heartbeat’ with Mike Hennessey on BBC Radio Wales (Sunday evening, 7 to 9pm).

Thanks folks, folk/trad/roots not usually my scene, so might give that a by-ball.

But like the sound of the Pat James show.....must check it out.

Do listen to McLoone the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

For the more folk/trad/roots side, ‘Celtic Heartbeat’ with Mike Hennessey on BBC Radio Wales (Sunday evening, 7 to 9pm).

Cheers WM. I'll set a reminder for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

John talking on Ray radio show

He loves his "two in a row" does John...wonder if he has bladder issues....sorry John..:P

Very upbeat (soz) show tonight i thought...

Torn...John or the BBC folk proms. ...:o

Two from Billy idol...:(...see you in 10..

Nice few end tracks, John Holt always makes me think of Horace Andy...similar sounding, both excellent..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,977 ✭✭✭thesandeman

You'll only get it on d'internet unless you're in the Connemara area, but Pete Ball who does the 7-9pm slot every second Saturday on Connemara FM is absolutely brilliant (the lad who does the alternate Saturdays isn't too bad either).
    You should be able to find some of his back shows on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

You'll only get it on d'internet unless you're in the Connemara area, but Pete Ball who does the 7-9pm slot every second Saturday on Connemara FM is absolutely brilliant (the lad who does the alternate Saturdays isn't too bad either).

Is tha Connemara Community Radio? That's coming up with a search on Tune In.
    What's the name of the show?

• Advertisement

Yep, same one. Show is called 'Listen Here'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Genghis

You might enjoy a few of the shows on BBC 6Music. I try to make Liz Kershaw each Saturday 1-3 either live or listen back on BBC radio iPlayer (available in ROI as well as UK), Radcliffe & Maconie are great weekdays from 1-4 and I'm a fan of Shaun Keaveney breakfast show each morning. Plenty of other shows too e.g Freak zone, Tom Ravenscroft, Craig Charles Funk Show etc

What a great recommendation....I just listened to the latest one and it was fantastic.

A great range of music, some brilliant songs I had never heard before. Most were old, from 60/70s....with only a few from the last decade .. but it was a great 2hrs of listening.

Will be checking him out again...and he had a nice presenting style too.

If anyone else wants to check it out:
    https://www.connemarafm.com/Audio/listen-here-XL.mp3

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Genghis wrote: »
    You might enjoy a few of the shows on BBC 6Music. I try to make Liz Kershaw each Saturday 1-3 either live or listen back on BBC radio iPlayer (available in ROI as well as UK), Radcliffe & Maconie are great weekdays from 1-4 and I'm a fan of Shaun Keaveney breakfast show each morning. Plenty of other shows too e.g Freak zone, Tom Ravenscroft, Craig Charles Funk Show etc

Funnily enough I had BBC 6 on this morning, Huey from the FLC with a rap/soul/funk show that would blow most hipster wannabes out of their gluten free elderberry mocha :)

Ya, Hughie good too. Iggy Pop if you need anything else ;).

Genghis wrote: »
    Ya, Hughie good too. Iggy Pop if you need anything else ;).

Iggy always sounds like he's either on something or needs to be on something...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Is his show available on podcasts in iPhone? Can’t find it under creedon.

Looking for good quality music. Will give this a shot.

What a great recommendation....I just listened to the latest one and it was fantastic.

A great range of music, some brilliant songs I had never heard before. Most were old, from 60/70s....with only a few from the last decade .. but it was a great 2hrs of listening.

Will be checking him out again...and he had a nice presenting style too.

If anyone else wants to check it out:
    https://www.connemarafm.com/Audio/listen-here-XL.mp3

I never thought to check before 'cos I usually listen live but some of his archive going back 4 years is on Mixcloud. That's a couple of days entertainment for me sorted out.

Thanks for this recommendation! Have listened to 2 shows tonight, top stuff and plenty still to dive into on mixcloud.

• Advertisement

If I hear only one US hip-hop song that samples the Welsh cartoon ‘Superted’ tonight, I’m glad it’s this one :D

Advertisement