Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a fan of the John Creedon show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,120 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Great Bob Dylan tracks. BTW Liam Clancy taught the poet how to play the guitar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The Black Eyed Peas! :O

Say it ain’t so, John :(

It was requested, and he played it. Catchy contemporary tune. Thought the show tonight was excellent, even by the standards listeners are used to. My radio listening is sporadic these days, but tuning into this is always a pleasure. A gem of a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,120 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If I'm home alone I flick the TV to Creedon, then on Tues get the bonus of switching across to Jools Holland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Water John wrote: »
    If I'm home alone I flick the TV to Creedon, then on Tues get the bonus of switching across to Jools Holland.

These days its not a bonus....more like a lottery..imo..some awful stuff on there for the last few years...

• Registered Users Posts: 71,669 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Looking forward to hearing the RTÉ Folk Awards tomorrow night :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

These days its not a bonus....more like a lottery..imo..some awful stuff on there for the last few years...

I agree ... plenty of bands not playing live ... a lot of backing tracks going on. It should be put out its misery, considering how good it was years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Good man Fiachna. “Carlow Town” by Séamus Fogarty just played there.

Wow. Heard it for the first time when he was covering for JC a few weeks back. I still can’t work out whether it is a work of pure genius or complete sh1te.

I’m tending towards genius....

Folk me gently :)

Who’s up for a ‘presidential erection’? :D

ooh-matron-kenneth-williams-carry-on-bouvier-des-flandres-puppies-for-sale-uk.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Rosetta Tharpe - Didn't It Rain

Great stuff.

• Advertisement

Two of the best from Talking Heads. :)

Almost compensation for not getting to see David Byrne live. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

On Hyndford Street. Take me way way back...

Yes Van! Truly haunting, one of his very best imo.

Good stuff so far tonight...

‘Rock Lobster’, and now The Go-Betweens!

Go with the flow :)

Really don’t understand the appeal of Scala & Kolacny Brothers - they had nothing to the original songs, not making them any better.

And they chickened out of singing the explicit version of ‘Creep’ :D

Never heard that Elvis Costello song before (Baby Plays Around) - great stuff :)

And a decent tribute there to Mícheál Ó Súilleabháin (RIP).

Really don’t understand the appeal of Scala & Kolacny Brothers - they had nothing to the original songs, not making them any better.

And they chickened out of singing the explicit version of ‘Creep’ :D

Ahh I like them. Went to see them recently in the Gaiety. Beautiful, sweet, melodic, - but yeah! definitely nothing explicit about them :). I love their radiohead covers tho.

Two from The Dan, including ‘Haitian Divorce’! :D

*attempts to make talk-box guitar noises in public and not caring*

:cool:

Two from the High Llamas...good call :)

‘She Chose Me’ by Randy Newman.

Mmf. Darn dust in my eye. :(

Loving that Kate Rusby song :)

A Colliery brass band trying to recreate John Williams ‘Superman’ theme, with lyrics about putting the kettle on for a cuppa - what’s not to like? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Sweet Jesus H Chr1st but isn’t the Michael Franti And Spearhead choon “Yell Fire” only a-may-zing. He played it earlier in the week. Some sound. Instantly in love with it. Yessssss...

LEGALISE IT......

• Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You do hear some gems with John at the helm!

Loving that Kate Rusby song :)

A Colliery brass band trying to recreate John Williams ‘Superman’ theme, with lyrics about putting the kettle on for a cuppa - what’s not to like? :D

It has a really cute video on youtube

As much as I am a fan of JC, I'm always on the lookout for other DJs worth listening to, who play a different range of music.

Tonight I heard Neil Doherty's Saturday Sounds on RTe1 for the 1st time...really enjoyed his style and his music selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,918 ✭✭✭thesandeman

The lad on Connemara FM did a brilliant show this week. A lot of Australian stuff I'd never heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,972 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

NIMAN wrote: »
    As much as I am a fan of JC, I'm always on the lookout for other DJs worth listening to, who play a different range of music.

Tonight I heard Neil Doherty's Saturday Sounds on RTe1 for the 1st time...really enjoyed his style and his music selection.

I've enjoyed his show as well anytime I've listened in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I've enjoyed his show as well anytime I've listened in.

Heard it for the second time yesterday and thought it was a repeat as he played a similar playlist to the only other occasion I happened to be listening - George Ezra, Abba & Kylie. His programme is perfectly timed imo. He also comes across as a very pleasant presenter

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭jimmymack

The Friday edition of An Meangadh Mór (The Big Smile) on Raidió na Life usually has a good mix of music, somewhat different to what JC plays but definitely not chart stuff. I normally stick it on if I'm in the car at that time.

honeybear wrote: »
    Heard it for the second time yesterday and thought it was a repeat as he played a similar playlist to the only other occasion I happened to be listening - George Ezra, Abba & Kylie. His programme is perfectly timed imo. He also comes across as a very pleasant presenter

To be honest, I think this is what appeals to me these days, and obviously a good choice in music as well.

I think Creedon and this Doherty fella have a great presenting style, very relaxed, no airs or graces about them. Lillian Smith I would also have plenty of time for.

When you compare how they deliver their programme to the tubes during the morning and daytime slots, its makes you appreciate how professional they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is it even possible to listen to Sally Maclennane without tapping out that snare drum riff on the nearest table or steering wheel or whatever?

Advertisement