Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy Hockey 2013-2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Anyone have any opinions as to whether 12/14/16 teams would be best, based on the above? And if 14/16 teams, how we would work the league?

I see what you are saying about fairness but I would go with two groups of 8, if we have the numbers. Otherwise, leave it at 12, which is the optimal number, as you said.

I think 14 is the most unfair of all, and should be avoided. Trying to get a balance in the fixtures would be very difficult. It would be very unfair if P5 in the table has to play P1 & P2 for the second time in the last two week before the play offs, and P6 has to play P7 & P8 for the second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

COYW wrote: »
    I see what you are saying about fairness but I would go with two groups of 8, if we have the numbers. Otherwise, leave it at 12, which is the optimal number, as you said.

I think 14 is the most unfair of all, and should be avoided. Trying to get a balance in the fixtures would be very difficult. It would be very unfair if P5 in the table has to play P1 & P2 for the second time in the last two week before the play offs, and P6 has to play P7 & P8 for the second time.

I agree with the above. Has to be either 12 or two groups of 8 but then comes the problem of how to divide the groups fairly.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

i dont think it should matter. the more the better. makes it more interesting to prove yourself. what we need is people who wont just leave after 2 months.

everyone not picking 1st will be unhappy to not have The Kid ( you have to be a real hater not to pick him first ).

its not like you hear GM's complaining that their division is harder than others...

make it 32 if we can :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭sketchpad

I'm new to this league so I'll go with the majority on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

I'm with izy, I don't mind what format the league takes as long as I get to participate and right now I'm on the outside looking in.. I don't even mind if i come last, the league is one of my only outlets besides the message board to be involved in hockey-fandom. Surely including everyone should be more important than league technicalities.
    I don't leave after a couple of months, I just make piss poor draft and trade decisions.. But I'm not without my fair share of decent runs either, or good picks just perhaps don't have the consistency..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

I'd side with letting as many into the league as possible. If there's enough interest ya could have two leagues, don't know if we'd 20+ though.

Have to say I've never really noticed any problems with strength of schedule in fantasy. Maybe I just missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Masked Man wrote: »
    Have to say I've never really noticed any problems with strength of schedule in fantasy. Maybe I just missed it.
    Having played in the football and baseball fantasy leagues here I agree and those leagues never match the number of teams with game-weeks available. In football leagues there are some teams that don't play each other at all.

For me the best teams (through draft, lineup selections and free agent pickups) should consistently do better in week-to-week match-ups and be towards the top of the rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Happy to go with the majority on this, and we'll let as many into the league as we can get so (still has to be an even number, mind you). The only two stipulations that everyone needs understand is that (a) They understand fantasy sports and (b) They realise that the daily roster changes are a relatively big deal, and a lot of commitment. Other than that, it's just a bit of craic!

I'll send PM's to a few more guys from former seasons and contributors to the board, to see if we can get it towards 16. If we're not going with 12 then 16 or 22/24 would be ideal.

do we have a draft day yet???

Izy wrote: »
    do we have a draft day yet???

Does the 25th not suit you, Izy? At the moment it's down for the 25th at 10pm, but not set in stone by any means.

• Advertisement

Does the 25th not suit you, Izy? At the moment it's down for the 25th at 10pm, but not set in stone by any means.

i wont get home till 10.45 from work...

Izy wrote: »
    i wont get home till 10.45 from work...

When we have a few more members I'll send PM's around and we'll go with the time that suits the most people.

PM's have been sent to 15 regular / semi-regular posters on the forum who haven't posted in this thread. Hopefully there'll be a few more interested parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

22/24 would result in a ridiculously deep draft?

Would stretch the sqauds to the limit!

22/24 would result in a ridiculously deep draft?

Would stretch the sqauds to the limit!

No replies to my PM, so we're still at 13. I wouldn't worry too much about 22/24....

Do we have a draft day/time yet?

Can everyone reply with what suits and we'll finalise a draft time? Still need one more team, also, if anyone has any ideas.

Monday 23 - After 11.
    Tuesday 24 - After 9.
    Wednesday 25 - After 9.
    Thursday 26 - After 9.30
    Friday 27 - After 9.
    Saturday 28 - After 9.
    Sunday 29 - After 9.

Can everyone reply with what suits and we'll finalise a draft time? Still need one more team, also, if anyone has any ideas.

Monday 23 - After 11.
    Tuesday 24 - After 9.
    Wednesday 25 - After 9.
    Thursday 26 - After 9.30
    Friday 27 - After 9.
    Saturday 28 - After 9.
    Sunday 29 - After 9.

Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday for me. Will be away from Thursday till the following Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Any of those times are good for me JoeSoap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Any of them is good for me.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

I'm good with any day after 9 but I prefer to do the draft on a school night :)

Did the guys who expressed interest on the previous page join the league?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭alanmcl12

Monday, Tuesday or Thursday are good for me, Sunday could possibly work as well

monday or tuesday

Tuesday suits everyone so. 9.30pm?

Still need one more team...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

yup that time is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Tuesday is probably the best day for me.

Perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Grand for me.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Do we have a limit on certain positions?

I will be on autodraft and just wondering the possibility of me getting 8 D-men or 6 GTs?

A fella I know autodrafted 3 kickers in NFL one time :-)

• Advertisement

Is this a keeper league this year or are we keeping it as re-draft?

Advertisement