Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy Hockey 2013-2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

7 teams currently in the league, with 4 pending invites. So if anyone else wants an invite, let me know.

I'm good with Daily-Today for the roster changes. Any objections to that?

Happy enough to change the draft time/date to something more suitable for everyone. I think it'll have to be evening to suit most people, and preferably the week starting the 23rd. These are the evenings that suit me, could everyone else give their preference?

Mon 23rd - Any time
    Tue 24th - Any time
    Wed 25th - Any time
    Thu 26th - After 10pm
    Fri 27th - Any time
    Sat 28th - Preferably not, but possibly after 10pm
    Sun 29th - After 8pm
    Mon 30th - Not good for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    7 teams currently in the league, with 4 pending invites. So if anyone else wants an invite, let me know.

I'm good with Daily-Today for the roster changes. Any objections to that?

Happy enough to change the draft time/date to something more suitable for everyone. I think it'll have to be evening to suit most people, and preferably the week starting the 23rd. These are the evenings that suit me, could everyone else give their preference?

Mon 23rd - Any time
    Tue 24th - Any time
    Wed 25th - Any time
    Thu 26th - After 10pm
    Fri 27th - Any time
    Sat 28th - Preferably not, but possibly after 10pm
    Sun 29th - After 8pm
    Mon 30th - Not good for me

Of those dates I can do any time after 9pm on 23rd, 24th, 25th, 26th, 29th & 30th.

I just noticed that Blocks and SHPs are not stat categories in the player list. Are we dropping these this season?

Coeus wrote: »
    Of those dates I can do any time after 9pm on 23rd, 24th, 25th, 26th, 29th & 30th.

I just noticed that Blocks and SHPs are not stat categories in the player list. Are we dropping these this season?

I just went with the default options for scoring. Happy to include blocks and SHP's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

I just went with the default options for scoring. Happy to include blocks and SHP's.

Was just going to post about SHG's/SHP's and blocks. Think they should be in.

COYW wrote: »
    Was just going to post about SHG's/SHP's and blocks. Think they should be in.

I think leaving it at SHP's and PPP's should be ok? They'll already be getting points for the goals and assists, so no real need to "treble" up, so to speak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Just signed up again. Would love if we can change the date of the draft too. I'm away from Thursday 26 - Monday 30 so anytime before or after that would be great. Wouldn't feel the same if my team was auto drafted but would probably do better this year.

10 teams in already, great stuff. How does Wednesday 25th at 9.30pm sound for a draft? Is there anyone who can't make that?

10 teams in already, great stuff. How does Wednesday 25th at 9.30pm sound for a draft? Is there anyone who can't make that?

Sounds good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭alanmcl12

Does after 10 work?

Also I agree that we should consider including blocks and SHP's as scoring categories

alanmcl12 wrote: »
    Does after 10 work?

Also I agree that we should consider including blocks and SHP's as scoring categories

I've added blocks and SHP's. 10pm on the 25th? 10.30pm might be pushing it, since it could last up to 90 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Not sure on when I'd be able to make. I'd guess that I wouldn't be around the Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Yeah that's good for me.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

For the sake of clarity...

BeechwoodSnowBadgers smackbunnybaby
    Strombone's Stick sketchpad
    The GAG Line COYW
    Original 6's aaronm13
    Ice-O-Topes MaskedMan
    Izy's Stealers Izy
    Dicken's Cider alanmcl12
    Revolution Therapy Fiery mutant
    Pier 6 brawlers Coeus
    Board Street Bullies MrJoeSoap

Think that's right?

Just back to the meeting up for beers for some of the outdoor and early games. In Dublin the only place I know that shows the NHL is the Czech Inn. They always have a Czech feed and the games they show is usually Jagr's team. The Woolshed used to show games but they stopped about 3 seasons ago. Can't see them giving up a TV on a Saturday night especially if there's a rugby or La Liga game on.

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Just back to the meeting up for beers for some of the outdoor and early games. In Dublin the only place I know that shows the NHL is the Czech Inn. They always have a Czech feed and the games they show is usually Jagr's team. The Woolshed used to show games but they stopped about 3 seasons ago. Can't see them giving up a TV on a Saturday night especially if there's a rugby or La Liga game on.

For the Winter Classic a couple of years back a few of us met up in the Living Room where we had reserved a big screen with the game on it. Wasn't the greatest though, as they didn't give us sound despite there being more of us than any other group there.

For the Winter Classic a couple of years back a few of us met up in the Living Room where we had reserved a big screen with the game on it. Wasn't the greatest though, as they didn't give us sound despite there being more of us than any other group there.

Czech inn is actually a good spot to watch games, just can't understand the cimmentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭cena

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Czech inn is actually a good spot to watch games, just can't understand the cimmentary.

We would need it in English and sound

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

I'm - 8 so middle of the day on a weekdays not great for me, but I can choose auto draft coz I haven't a clue what I'll be at anyway!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I'm in! Any day should be fine with me for the draft!

And there we have 12, great stuff. If there is more interest (it will have to be an even number, can end up with an odd number) then we'll consider it and how it might impact the league. But otherwise, we're good to go once the draft time suits the majority of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

24 or 26 from 9pm onwards would be my preferred times as I'm busy other evenings. If doesn't suit the majority I will just have to believe in my GM skills for trading around :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

I won't be around for the draft at all tbh no matter what day or night. I'll be in the states on holdiays for 2 weeks and there's very little chance the missus will let me do a "make believe hockey team" draft around lunch time :-)

But the draft rankings will be well thought through!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

I'm in, got a link for sign up?
    Itching for the new season puck drop!!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭sketchpad

Quick question re draft rankings for automatic selection if one cant take part in the draft. Is it possible to have it select by position eg. pick your 2 top ranked centres first, followed by your 2 top ranked D, then LWs, RWs, D?

sketchpad wrote: »
    Quick question re draft rankings for automatic selection if one cant take part in the draft. Is it possible to have it select by position eg. pick your 2 top ranked centres first, followed by your 2 top ranked D, then LWs, RWs, D?

Not really. It's one large list from what I recall, so you'd need to evaluate which positions/players you see as more valuable than others.

I'm in, got a link for sign up?
    Itching for the new season puck drop!!

We're going to have to try and get a 14th person, because there needs to be an even number and there are 12 there already. I'll also have to look into how that might affect the schedule, as playing 13 teams twice would take up more than the full 25 weeks of the season. (Playoffs need to be either 2 or 3 weeks long, between Wk22 and Wk25)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭cena

I'll sign up if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

We're going to have to try and get a 14th person, because there needs to be an even number and there are 12 there already. I'll also have to look into how that might affect the schedule, as playing 13 teams twice would take up more than the full 25 weeks of the season. (Playoffs need to be either 2 or 3 weeks long, between Wk22 and Wk25)
    I think the league will be grand with 14 or even 16. Just a bit tougher at the end of the draft and to find players on the wire during the season. I think as long as everyone plays each other once nobody should have to unfair a schedule.

One thing I would recommend is the 3 week play-off if the league is to be 14 or 16. Top 2 seeds get a bye the first week while 3rd through 6th playoff for places in the semis. Its a great way to keep more people active/interested!

Coeus wrote: »
    I think the league will be grand with 14 or even 16. Just a bit tougher at the end of the draft and to find players on the wire during the season. I think as long as everyone plays each other once nobody should have to unfair a schedule.

One thing I would recommend is the 3 week play-off if the league is to be 14 or 16. Top 2 seeds get a bye the first week while 3rd through 6th playoff for places in the semis. Its a great way to keep more people active/interested!

The problem with 14/16 teams is that you'll have to play some teams once, and some twice. The Fantasy season needs to be either 21, 22 or 23 weeks long.

If there are 14 teams, you've 13 opponents to play (16 teams = 15 opponents). That could make it quite unfair if you have to play some strong teams twice and weaker teams only once.

One possible solution would be to split it into two divisions of 8, and only play the teams from your division during the regular season, meaning a 21 game regular season (playing 7 teams 3 times). But that also means that the divisions could be one-sided, with a strong division and a weak division.

12 is the perfect number as it allows for a 22 week season where you play each other team twice, and a 3 week playoff.

• Advertisement

Anyone have any opinions as to whether 12/14/16 teams would be best, based on the above? And if 14/16 teams, how we would work the league?

Advertisement