Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Open 2013

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Terrible loss for Nishikori

Evans played well though and was so unbelievably calm serving out the sets but Nishikori was just awful. Wonder is he injured or just tanking.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Eurosport coverage a lot better than last year, they're showing matches from Ashe.
    (Posted that in the wrong thread earlier, for the second time today :o )

^ I think they only have Ashe though? They were showing last years final earlier between matches on Ashe.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Ah well, Ashe is a lot better than the ****fests they were stuck with the last couple of years anyway!

Gutting defeat for Minella there

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

James Blake announced his retirement at a presser this morning in New York. US Open to be his last tournament.

Sad news indeed, but it was a long time coming.

Arguably the best player ever to watch when he was on form. One of the great shotmakers. Him running around the court blasting lasers will never be forgotten.

Hope he gets a couple rounds in this year.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Federer about to equal Ferreira's record of 56 consecutive Grand Slams, an incredible achievement when you consider he's got to the latter stages of nearly all of 'em!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,883 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Feck the squirrel!! Lisicki actually WON!!!:o:pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

RosyLily wrote: »

But the squirrel won our hearts T_T

I have zero expectations, but I really hope we get to see a Lisikci/Radwanska rematch in R4.

• Advertisement

Kvitova taken to three sets by Misaki Doi... I think they said on Sky that this was her 30th three setter of the year :eek:

Kvitova taken to three sets by Misaki Doi... I think they said on Sky that this was her 30th three setter of the year :eek:

She posted something on her facebook the other day about "3 sets again but at least I won." She knows herself :)

Yeah, I seen that too. I wonder how many 3 setters she can accumulate by the end of the year. I see Dimitrov and Janowicz are gone already; was expecting those two to go deep in the draw.

Hingis and Hantuchova are playing the No.1 seeds Errani and Vinci in the first round of doubles tomorrow.

Kinda ridiculous that the first round won't be finished til tomorrow.

Kinda ridiculous that the first round won't be finished til tomorrow.

US Open scheduling is beyond stupid. Night sessions and 3 day R1's don't work when there will inevitably be rain delays. Look at last night with their stupid opening ceremony and then Federer's match gets pushed to today.

They've officially moved the final to a Monday now even though they ended up having it on a Monday anyway but haven't changed anything else about their stupid schedules. I hope the final ends up on Tuesday.

^Completely agree! You'd think the USTA would learn from past weather occurances and doctor the schedule accordingly. How stupid can you be?! Why do they even need an opening ceremony? They have Murray, the defending champion, on Wednesday night session. Ridiculous!

I hope the final is on a Tuesday as well! Get the players worked up over it and maybe they might rethink things for future US Opens.

Whatever about having Murray on Wednesday, putting him on the night session? Ridiculous.

Victoria Duval playing pretty well against Stosur!

And Donald Young wins! His first grand slam win since Melbourne last year. Happy for him :)

Scheduling is a right shambles!

Fantastic win for Duval!! She played so well and deserved it. Her first Grand Slam win, I think. Hard luck for Stosur; maybe she should think of getting Dave Taylor back.:pac:

Scheduling is a right shambles!

Fantastic win for Duval!! She played so well and deserved it. Her first Grand Slam win, I think. Hard luck for Stosur; maybe she should think of getting Dave Taylor back.:pac:

It was only something like her 5th WTA level match. She's been playing ITF's mostly up until now. Amazing. Watch the US press over hype her and then crush her.

Pavlyuchenkova through to the 3rd round of a slam for the first time since RG last year. Will play Radwanska... Pavs could be very dangerous for Aga if her shots are landing in. Not holding my breath though :pac:

Laura Robson on soon... Caroline Garcia has the potential to be dangerous.

Rusedski raging about the schedule. Has he been reading the thread???

<_< >_> <_<

• Advertisement

Has it ever happened that a first round match has been pushed to Thursday I wonder?

Rusedski raging about the schedule. Has he been reading the thread???

<_< >_> <_<

They're all raging about Murray though, like he's the only player scheduled for his R1 today. I understand the annoyance because the whole schedule is dumb but they're pretty much whinging because Murray isn't given preferential treatment. They're even annoyed he's the night match. If they'd scheduled the defending champion for a day match they'd have been whinging about that too.

Many, many matches cancelled because of the rain. Majority of men's singles will go ahead later. Some of the cancellations: Serena-Voskoboeva, Kerber-Bouchard, Errani/Vinci-Hingis-Hantuchova, Ormaechea-Lisicki, Nara-Cirstea, Makarova-Mattek Sands, Jankovic-Kleybanova, Kanepi-Schmiedlova, Shvedova-Mayr.

Revised schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭larry1

Don't think they've said which half of the draw plays on which day yet. The men's final is on Monday this year, isn't it? So there might not be any QF's on the 3rd. Not sure though.

Greats seats purchased for the Quarter Finals evening session in the Arthur Ashe on Wednesday 4th. Thanks to all on here who offered advice. :)

So jealous!! Visiting the U.S. Open is on my to-do list. Hope you have a great time!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

Garcia-Lopez just took the second set against Del Potro!
    it's now at one set each.

I have to say, I do love Del Potro and I don't want to see him lose but I am loving this!! Some really fantastic tennis being played here!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Venus V Zheng game is a cracker. Venus was 4-1 and 5-3 down in the deciding set. She's much more error prone these days but her fighting spirit is still fantastic. 5-5 now with Zheng serving. Crowd going nuts. Zheng looks lost at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

This Zheng-Venus match is captivating - such a high quality third set.

Delpo looking good. Garcia-Lopez is still proving to be a tough opponent to break even after that MTO. Delpo having to work hard for this.

Delighted that Robson is through as well. Hopefully she can replicate her performance from last year against Li Na in R3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Pighead wrote: »
    Venus V Zheng game is a cracker. Venus was 4-1 and 5-3 down in the deciding set. She's much more error prone these days but her fighting spirit is still fantastic. 5-5 now with Zheng serving. Crowd going nuts. Zheng looks lost at the moment.

It's fantastic. Two resilient players who know how to dig deep and fight for every point. I would love to see Venus get through. 6-6 final set now. Hopefully the rain holds off. :)

Delpo takes the 3rd set. Come on and wrap it up in 4.

Murray still playing the waiting game. I do sympathise with him. The defending champion should never have to wait until the final session of R1 matches to play. 8:15 local time now. He won't get on until at least 9:15 due to the crowd change.

• Advertisement

Venus :( I wonder how long before she packs it all in? Surely one more season max.

Delpo down a break in 4th set!

Advertisement