Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Open 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Fair play to Hewitt

Not the most talented player to grace a tennis court but serious warrior.

He won't go any further but he won't let himself down v Djoko.

Delighted for him, first USO quarter since 06

EDIT- still on? Was told he won :o haha

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Gerry91 wrote: »
    Fair play to Hewitt

Not the most talented player to grace a tennis court but serious warrior.

He won't go any further but he won't let himself down v Djoko.

Delighted for him, first USO quarter since 06

EDIT- still on? Was told he won :o haha

Yep, he just choked while serving for it.

Yep, he just choked while serving for it.

Really?

Only has himself to blame so if Youzhny takes it!

Like Tipsarevic yesterday.

Don't like Tips but this Ferrer quarter final run is sickening me, can't stand his game :o

Really?

Only has himself to blame so if Youzhny takes it!

Like Tipsarevic yesterday.

Don't like Tips but this Ferrer quarter final run is sickening me, can't stand his game :o

Ferrer gets praised for the exact type of game that Wozniacki gets crucified for.

Yozhny to serve for the match now.

Ferrer gets praised for the exact type of game that Wozniacki gets crucified for.

Yozhny to serve for the match now.

That's mad someone on my twitter said Hewitt was through

Gave him kiss of death ;)

Nole will annihilate Youzhny; Hewitt would have given a bit of resistance

Nadal is surely guy to beat, though Murray v him in a final would be interesting.

• Advertisement

Delighted for Misha. Hate Hewitt with a passion. He choked that match away in the 4th and the 5th set.

Got Djokovic at -22 games earlier. Must bagel him in this final set to come off. Am Confident haha

• Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

how drunk would Rafa have to be to lose to either Robredo, Gasquet or Ferrer?:confused:

Rjd2 wrote: »
    how drunk would Rafa have to be to lose to either Robredo, Gasquet or Ferrer?:confused:

He'll cruise into final. Will drop 5/6 games to Robredo and maybe less to Ferrer

Djoko will cruise into semi. Could all work out decently for Murray. Could end up playing a completely untested Novak in semi and Rafa in final!

Got Djokovic at -22 games earlier. Must bagel him in this final set to come off. Am Confident haha

He's done it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

He'll cruise into final. Will drop 5/6 games to Robredo and maybe less to Ferrer

Djoko will cruise into semi. Could all work out decently for Murray. Could end up playing a completely untested Novak in semi and Rafa in final!

Was just going to make this point, Nadal cantering his way through to the final with no resistance whatsoever won't work in his favour.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

On an off-topic note, does anybody else feel a little disappointed with the open this year? It's felt a little flat for me, I don't think there's been that many great matches :o

On an off-topic note, does anybody else feel a little disappointed with the open this year? It's felt a little flat for me, I don't there's been that many great matches :o

It's been rubbish. I thought Wimbledon with it's upsets was bad this year but this has been a disaster.

It's been rubbish. I thought Wimbledon with it's upsets was bad this year but this has been a disaster.

I liked the upsets at Wimbledon, nice for the little guy to cause some shocks now and then, some good matches in the knock out stages as well.

French was the pits to be fair, so so boring on both sides and topped off with the worst Slam Final in years. :(

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I liked the upsets at Wimbledon, nice for the little guy to cause some shocks now and then, some good matches in the knock out stages as well.

French was the pits to be fair, so so boring on both sides and topped off with the worst Slam Final in years. :(

Wimbledon women was poor then again I rarely follow women's tennis

Mens was class I thought. Two best players in final, Delpo back to his best, a good run from Janowicz. Nadal is always vulnerable week one when grass is grass and this result, like last year, was coming. Federer is finished anyway so while losing to Stavkohsky was a shock he wouldn't have gotten much further anyway

French was a horror show. Can't think of one consistent good match. Last two sets of Djoko/Nadal were class but one set was a non-event and first was cagey

Worst slam final I have seen and will ever see

Serena having target practice against Suarez-Navarro.

Serena having target practice against Suarez-Navarro.

And it was CSN's birthday today too :(

There were 15 consecutive games won by the higher ranked player on Ashe today. From 3-3 in the 1st set of Djokovic's match up until Istomin held serve. Waste of money buying tickets for Ashe this year.

Gasquet playing a blinder!

Will be over the moon if Ferrer goes out. Gasquet is so talented, just mentally terrible.

Looking good for his second slam semi. Prob in for a pasting by Nadal though!

Gasquet playing a blinder!

Looking good for his second slam semi. Prob in for a pasting by Nadal though!

Shhhhhhhhhh!!

Would be worried for Gasquet longer it goes, Ferrer mentally so much stronger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

Come on Gasquet!! If this goes into a fifth set Ferrer will definitely win it... I really hope I'm wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Hope it's a nadal vs djokovic final. You want the two best players battling it out. Their finals in 2010 and 2011 were superb quality.

Have to fancy nadal with his draw but wouldn't rule out djokovic claiming his 7th grand slam. Hope he wins the French next year to complete the career slam. Deserves it I feel.

I wonder if wawrinka might bring Murray to the edge. Murray will be delighted he avoided berdych who has a great record against him

I want to see Nadal and Murray in the final!
    We've had so many Djokovic/Nadal matches, and even though they are nearly always brilliant battles, I'd rather a bit of a change! It possibly wouldn't be the most exciting match ever, but they haven't ever played a slam final against each other and also haven't played each other for nearly 2 years and Murray has come so far since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

I agree, a Nadal-Murray final would be a nice change. As you said they haven't played in years and their games have changed since them. I think it could be good!

The problem is nadal owns Murray. 13-5 head to head and even on hard courts (murrays best surface and nadals worst) nadal even leads that category.

I agree things have changed a bit but Novak is the only player that seems to have a game that hurts nadal. Even in 2011 when djokovic was pummelling nadal, Murray played nadal in 3 slam semis that year and nadal comfortably beat Murray on all surfaces. I don't think murrays game can really hurt nadal, too defensive.

I do see what you mean and to be honest I'm still not even convinced that Murray could take Rafa to 5 sets (especially given his recent form) but I'd still like to see what would actually happen :)

Also if they were both in the final I wouldn't be too fussed who won seeing as I like both of them, whereas with Djokovic v Nadal its Nadal all the way for me. There's just something about Djokovic that I dislike but I don't know what it is :o

What is not to like about Novak. Plays an attacking style and competes on all surfaces including clay. Phenomenal talent and a great personality. Handles defeat better than any player I have seen.

All the while he likes to have a bit of fun on court unlike most of the others. I find him great to watch and although I like nadal too, djokovic is the only one who can go toe to toe with him on all four surfaces. Huge respect for the guy !

Gasquet gets the break. Can he hold on to win? I have no idea. None. Anything could happen here.

I have huge respect for him and I know that he is a phenomenal tennis player, I just can't seem to warm to him! I have grown to like him more recently but I'd still support Federer/ Nadal/ Murray/ Delpo/ Tsonga over him!

Gasquet serving for the match!!

• Advertisement

What is not to like about Novak. Plays an attacking style and competes on all surfaces including clay. Phenomenal talent and a great personality. Handles defeat better than any player I have seen.

All the while he likes to have a bit of fun on court unlike most of the others. I find him great to watch and although I like nadal too, djokovic is the only one who can go toe to toe with him on all four surfaces. Huge respect for the guy !

Not sure that's entirely true. I think he plays an attacking style against lower ranked/less tough opponents to finish them off quickly. However he plays a much more defensive game against tougher opponents in an effort to lengthen the rallies and wear them out, hence why slam finals he plays tend to be so long.

His game does nothing for me anyway.

Advertisement