Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where will we finish ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I would have put my life savings on Lecister dropping points there. They'll more then likely win their next game too. If they pull 8 away at any point then they'll do it. I wouldn't begrudge them for a single second if they do. What a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Keep the faith a while longer lads although time is running out. We simply must beat Bournemouth on Sunday. All our rivals and potential rivals have tough fixtures: Leicester away to Crystal Palace (OK, not that tough), Arsenal away to Everton, West Ham away to Chelsea, Liverpool (2 games in hand even if 14 pts back)) away to Southampton and City at home to Utd. If we win, we will consolidate a CL spot, we are out of the EL and there are only 7 matches remaining to concentrate on after Bournemouth.

We are then away to Liverpool which is the real crunch. I think we will definitely beat Man U the following week (that would be a crazy statement any other year but not this). All our other games are winnable including Chelsea who won't have much to play for and could be distracted. We owe Liverpool one and at least they will try to play which will leave gaps where they are weakest, defensively.

After that we are looking for a Leicester slip up. They have won three of their last 4 by 1-0. You can either say they are successfully grinding out the results or that they are riding their luck (Watford should have got at least one and Morgan clearly handled Sissokho's volley last night). I don't think they can keep it up but with 5 points in hand and only 8 games left they can afford to lose 2 and draw 2 (14/24 pts) and Spurs would still need 6 wins and 1 draw (19/24 pts) to win on goal difference. Barring a Leicester collapse it is looking like we are in a battle for 2nd spot (no mean achievement either, if it happens).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭Glebee

Cant see Leicester slip at this stage. 3rd place finish for Spurs:(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I still think if we come out of the United game 5 points behind we have half a chance. Have to beat Bournemouth and match their result when we play pool. If we can't beat that united team at home then frankly Lecister deserve the league and as soon as we are mathematically out of it I'll cheer for them more then anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Glebee wrote: »
    Cant see Leicester slip at this stage. 3rd place finish for Spurs:(

liverpool were 5pts clear with 3 games to go the season they went close... it aint over yet.
    coys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,709 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Any other season and the neutrals would be cheering us on. If we win it now, we will seen as the bad guys. Bizarre season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

liverpool were 5pts clear with 3 games to go the season they went close... it aint over yet.
    coys

True to your name. Love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Any other season and the neutrals would be cheering us on. If we win it now, we will seen as the bad guys. Bizarre season.

I think people will be almost as happy if Spurs done it. Need to get out of the next two games with minimum 4 points before we start wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭larry1

We will win on Goal Difference from Leicester, put me on the board!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

We need 4 points in the next two games to have any chance of winning imo. Leicester shouldn't drop points until the last 3 games of the season, where they play Everton, Utd and Chelsea. We need to be within 6 points to have any hope of catching them. Would be amazing if it came down to the last game of the season, with Chelsea vs Leicester and us vs Newcastle.

Saying that, i don't think we'll do it. I just don't see Leicester slipping up enough for us to gain the 5 points on them. They have been very solid the last few games, and never really looked like they were going to slip up.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    Leicester shouldn't drop points until the last 3 games of the season, where they play Everton, Utd and Chelsea.

I don't think it's that predictable. Leicester beat City comfortable away and then scraped through games against Norwich, West Brom and Newcastle. Palace could have knicked a point this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Kiith wrote: »
    We need 4 points in the next two games to have any chance of winning imo. Leicester shouldn't drop points until the last 3 games of the season, where they play Everton, Utd and Chelsea. We need to be within 6 points to have any hope of catching them. Would be amazing if it came down to the last game of the season, with Chelsea vs Leicester and us vs Newcastle.

Saying that, i don't think we'll do it. I just don't see Leicester slipping up enough for us to gain the 5 points on them. They have been very solid the last few games, and never really looked like they were going to slip up.

Leicester have Southampton next. They have won 7 and drawn 2 of their last 11 matches and have put themselves into an outside shot at the 4th CL spot. Then Leicester are away to Sunderland who are desperate for points and have only lost 1 of their last 6 (4 draws and a win over MU). Their third match is West Ham who are flying. Leicester have one handy game at home to Swansea before the three you mentioned to finish.

This one isn't over yet!!! We need Kane and Alli back from international duty fully fit and hopefully catch Liverpool focussing on the EL. Harry, minus the face mask to do the biz again!!

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Leicester have Southampton next. They have won 7 and drawn 2 of their last 11 matches and have put themselves into an outside shot at the 4th CL spot. Then Leicester are away to Sunderland who are desperate for points and have only lost 1 of their last 6 (4 draws and a win over MU). Their third match is West Ham who are flying. Leicester have one handy game at home to Swansea before the three you mentioned to finish.

Completely agree. Plus, we only have United who have anything to play for (Top 4 place) left to play. Assuming the relegation battle is sorted out by the final day.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I didn't even think of Southampton to be honest, and i'd forgotten about West Ham. If we can get a minimum of 4 points from the next two games, we may very well be in with a shot.

Latest bull**** article from sky sports says Leicester will be crowned champions on April 24th as Spurs will win only 1 in their last 7 matches.

Their logic is because these were the results in the reverse fixtures earlier in the season.

Give me a break.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

irishmover wrote: »
    Latest bull**** article from sky sports says Leicester will be crowned champions on April 24th as Spurs will win only 1 in their last 7 matches.

Their logic is because these were the results in the reverse fixtures earlier in the season.

Give me a break.

But isn't that how every game goes :P

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Funny thing is...

from our 7 games left.....from a previous 21 points available.....

We only picked up 7 points against that lot...

Im thinking we'll pick up 17 appox in our remainng 7 games.

Lots of revenge matches.

Funny thing is...

from our 7 games left.....from a previous 21 points available.....

We only picked up 7 points against that lot...

Im thinking we'll pick up 17 appox in our remainng 7 games.

Lots of revenge matches.

I think that's the point I'm making. Sky Sports made a click bait article using poor logic.

It's a pity we play Liverpool when we do, they have EIGHT fixtures in April (compared to our four) it would have been good to play them in the middle of that fixture congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

It's a pity we play Liverpool when we do, they have EIGHT fixtures in April (compared to our four) it would have been good to play them in the middle of that fixture congestion.

Between a bad loss and preparing for dortmund should hopefully help us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

if we wanna win leagues we should be able to beat the likes of liverpool. They're no great shakes to be honest... likewise utd. My concerns are chelsea away and stoke away. I reckon we could drop points in both of those fixtures, prob lose one. We should get at least 4 from the utd liverpool fixtures if we are to stand a chance of leapfrogging 'the foxes'.
    coys

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spursman11

Alot better than Lawrenson and Merson predictions to all our games all season,we will run Leicester close by 2 pts.need them to drop pts but they are determined bunch,been written off for a long time.I feel top 2 is a must.COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭u2me

If Leicester win six of their final seven games, or win five and draw two, they win :(.

But looking at the fixtures, you could see Leicester giving up enough that Spurs can catch them.

Say Leicester only manage 10 points with wins at Southampton, Swansea and Sunderland, draw at Everton and lose to West Ham, chelsea and man utd

Spurs would “only” need to win four and draw three. So Spurs could win at Anfield, west brom, southhampton and newcastle and draw chelsea, stoke and man utd.

Think you are looking at approx 70% / 30% split - in favor of leicester for title at moment.

Spurs also have a bad record at Anfield and Stamford Bridge.

On a positive we have a great goal difference

Also I think the mental pressure of the run in will play a big factor - but I believe Poch has instilled a belief and optimism in the squad that I have not seen before - which may get us across the line.

COYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭condor26

I like this thread a lot guys!
    I was trying to get a grip on where we could realistically finish, I can see us 2nd by 7 points unfortunately :( I just can't see Leicester dropping much-

Spurs fixtures
    Liverpool (A) 1pt
    United (H) 1pt
    Stoke (A) 3pt
    West Brom (H) 3pt
    Chelsea (A) 1pt
    Southampton (H) 3pt
    Newcastle (A) 1pt
    (13pts)

Leicester fixtures
    Southampton (H) 3pt
    Sunderland (A) 3pt
    West Ham (H) 1pt
    Swansea (H) 3pt
    Man Utd (A) 1pt
    Everton (H) 3pt
    Chelsea (A) 1pt
    (15pts)

Forgot to say though - if we beat United and Liverpool, I think we will win the league.. I think that would shake Leicester just enough...

condor26 wrote: »
    I like this thread a lot guys!
    I was trying to get a grip on where we could realistically finish, I can see us 2nd by 7 points unfortunately :( I just can't see Leicester dropping much-

Spurs fixtures
    Liverpool (A) 1pt
    United (H) 1pt
    Stoke (A) 3pt
    West Brom (H) 3pt
    Chelsea (A) 1pt
    Southampton (H) 3pt
    Newcastle (A) 1pt
    (13pts)

Leicester fixtures
    Southampton (H) 3pt
    Sunderland (A) 3pt
    West Ham (H) 1pt
    Swansea (H) 3pt
    Man Utd (A) 1pt
    Everton (H) 3pt
    Chelsea (A) 1pt
    (15pts)

You dont think either team will lose?

Also as a general statement, can't rule out Arsenal. Not until they mathematically can't finish ahead of us. They've got the most experience out of the three. It's strange enough that both Leicester and spurs occupy top two spots. Anything can happen.

I guess there is both optimism & pessimism in my spurs predictions, but I don't think Leicester will lose.
    I know I'm not on my own here, but I've made a point of watching as many Leicester games as possible (I didn't think I'd ever be searching for a stream for a Leicester -v- Palace of a Tuesday night!), and they are just so dominant and exciting.

condor26 wrote: »
    I guess there is both optimism & pessimism in my spurs predictions, but I don't think Leicester will lose.
    I know I'm not on my own here, but I've made a point of watching as many Leicester games as possible (I didn't think I'd ever be searching for a stream for a Leicester -v- Palace of a Tuesday night!), and they are just so dominant and exciting.

They have not been good for a few games IMO. The international break could be good for them though.

Their next three games are against teams with a purpose and all performing above expectations. If they come away from these three games without any defeat then they deserve to win the league but I feel a defeat coming for them. Let's not forget Southampton hammered Arsenal and are fighting for a top 5 spot, West Ham have been on fire for a few months and are aiming for 4th and Sunderland haven't lost in 6 I believe and are fighting for their lives.

Whether we can capitalise or not is another thing.

irishmover wrote: »
    They have not been good for a few games IMO. The international break could be good for them though.

Their next three games are against teams with a purpose and all performing above expectations. If they come away from these three games without any defeat then they deserve to win the league but I feel a defeat coming for them. Let's not forget Southampton hammered Arsenal and are fighting for a top 5 spot, West Ham have been on fire for a few months and are aiming for 4th and Sunderland haven't lost in 6 I believe and are fighting for their lives.

Whether we can capitalise or not is another thing.

There's a lot to consider! Very exciting stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭u2me

I'm staying positive can see Leicester losing to southhampton that will put the ****s up em, draw against sunderland and lose to westham panic will set in and they will collapse altogether ;).

Spurs should beat Liverpool and if we do it at Anfield it will be a big boost, who knows which utd will turn up, stoke could be sticky.

the next three games will tell a lot for both teams

Advertisement