Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish teenager is 'being beaten to hell' in a Cairo prison

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

bumper234 wrote: »
    Yawn.

Are you tired from harboring all that contempt? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Boombastic wrote: »
    Are you tired from harboring all that contempt? :(

Tired of listening to your lies and long winded rhetoric.

Tired of listening to your lies and long winded rhetoric.

Turn off the 'text to speech' feature on your computer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

See my response to this but while we are on the subject of unanswered questions(.........)anything to do with Muslims

I already dealt with that bit of smoke, mirrors and bull.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86110800&postcount=275

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86111310&postcount=280

Now - have you ever attended a bank bail out protest or a protest on an irish issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

To all the Islamist defenders on this thread-bury your head in the sand and you're in line for one helluva kick in the ass.
    YEAH!!!
    BRING IT ON, BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111asgfjhn;l'lgf

You're not going to be kicking anyone.
    Let's be realistic here. You're never going to lay a hand on anyone because of their religious beliefs. Stop pretending that you are.
    Nodin wrote: »
    So have you ever attended a bank bail out protest or a protest on an irish issue?
    Hi, Nodin.
    Long time no see. Or read or something.
    I've been to a few protests. Even if I never went to one, I still think this kid is a ****ing idiot for going to Egypt to support an Islamist regime, and I've no problem saying it here.

He holds Irish citizenship, so I don't see why I can't criticise him here on an Irish website.

My main concern is for the people in Gaza.
    Those poor ****ers now have no escape from Israeli tyranny.

what's with the sudden emergence of a Dutch sub-community of posters on this topic?
    Islamic extremism is a large problem in The Netherlands.
    Would you like a cartoon of Mohammed with this post?
    Ask a Dutchman.

• Advertisement

Terry wrote: »

Hi, Nodin.
    Long time no see. Or read or something.
    I've been to a few protests. Even if I never went to one, I still think this kid is a ****ing idiot for going to Egypt to support an Islamist regime, and I've no problem saying it here.

He holds Irish citizenship, so I don't see why I can't criticise him here on an Irish website.

My main concern is for the people in Gaza.
    Those poor ****ers now have no escape from Israeli tyranny.

...unfortunately the OP was a lot more loaded than the simple question of whether or not that lad was being a gobshite.

I already dealt with that bit of smoke, mirrors and bull.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86110800&postcount=275

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86111310&postcount=280

Now - have you ever attended a bank bail out protest or a protest on an irish issue?

I said the phrase 'radical element' you responded with 'muslim' and 'Islam'. Why do you equate these things? You say
    It's clear by implication.

and
    Blatantly obvious what you were at from the get go.
    It don't know why would you relate the two things I never mentioned muslims or Islam this is the post you brought it up in and you still haven't been able to back up your claims
    O look, obtuse nonsense. Never would I have expected such from somebody whose posts can be boiled down to either 'what are the sneaky muslims upto?' or 'waah muslims are upto something', all handily devoid of facts...........

Terry wrote: »

Islamic extremism is a large problem in The Netherlands.
    Would you like a cartoon of Mohammed with this post?
    Ask a Dutchman.

Hi Terry! Would you be so kind to declare your ancestral home? :pac:

I said the phrase 'radical element' you responded with 'muslim' and 'Islam'. Why do you equate these things? You say

It's perfectly clear that's what you meant from the examples I gave. In addition, when questioned about implying he went there to fight, you referred to an individual who had gone to fight in Syria.

Have you ever attended a bank bail out protest or a protest on an irish issue?

It's perfectly clear that's what you meant from the examples I gave. In addition, when questioned about implying he went there to fight, you referred to an individual who had gone to fight in Syria.

No it's not clear, can you break it down for me?

.... And we have defined fight, lets not traipse over that old ground because I have shown my use was correct and it's is meaning perfectly fine for this situation to describe this young boy out fighting in a foreign country for a cause

...and the guy in Bolivia, where does he fit in? because he was another example of an Irish citizen who got involved in fighting a foreign government, yet you seem determined to make this a religious issue for some reason...is there a reason?

Would you be so kind to declare your ancestral home?

CTRL+V questions

• Advertisement

No it's not clear, can you break it down for me??

...its perfectly clear. You're being obtuse.

...and the guy in Bolivia, where does he fit in?

....you gave him as an example of somebody who received no sympathy.

Would you be so kind to declare your ancestral home?

Why?

....you gave him as an example of somebody who received no sympathy.

You qualified your sexist remark with 'context', so at least afford me the same

Lets see:

Originally Posted by Leftist
    If they were white, irish born citizens who were arrested in a foreign state for participating in a peaceful process, they would be receiving a far different perspective from the same people who are suggesting they 'knew what they are getting into'

The difference in perspective is judged by these people entirely on ethnicity and race.

Originally Posted by Boombastic
    Michael Dwyer (24) from Tipperary, Bolivia's liberator didn't get much sympathy

http://www.herald.ie/news/plea-for-j...-28005296.html
    [/QUOTE]

Responding to the bolded,

Now why did you jump the conclusion that 'radical element' means 'muslim'?

I'm no angle:mad:
    It's funny being called obtuse by some one has insists on asking the same questions over and over

and over :) but we come this far

do you think it is something a good parent would do?
    Why do you think this is about Muslims?
    Why do you think that all radicals are Islamists?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

BeerWolf wrote:
    Fools been told not to go there...
    They should NOT HAVE BEEN TREATED LIKE THIS though!

Very sad and unexcusable behaviour :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

How many times have you repeated this question? Good God, just put it in your signature or something because it's getting tedious reading it and i'm sure you're getting sick of repeating it.

His guardian (one or all of his sisters on the day) should be charged with child endangerment when the get back to Ireland

I suppose if he was still missing he'd be our Madeline McCann

His guardian (one or all of his sisters on the day) should be charged with child endangerment when the get back to Ireland

I suppose if he was still missing he'd be our Madeline McCann

And a big sneer.

It's been clear you've been implying its all to do with muslims since the OP. I've already shown this, and you're ignoring the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

It's perfectly clear that's what you meant from the examples I gave.[/SIZE]

This is hilarious. How can you write that and not feel foolish??

Boombastic has already stated that he protests- that is a fact as he is doing it right here, right now, in this very thread!- against taxpayers money being wasted on DFA missions to rescue people when they ignore their warnings abroad. This is an Irish issue. The Halawa family obviously feel strongly about things to protest, as is their right, so it would stand to reason that the plight of Irish people would warrant their protest as much as the plight of Egyptians. If not more, because they were born Egyptian, but they chose to become Irish :).

I don't mind a good debate/ discussion on any topic, I don't have to agree with what anyone says, I have even learned a thing or two from the rebuttals here! However it's a sorry state of affairs when mine or anyone else's argument becomes so threatening to the ideals of another person that they turn to putting words in someone's mouth, assumption/ supposition and, ironically given the nature of this thread and accusations of islamophobia and racism, even xenophobia.

Can we stop now? I'd like to get back to a bit of friendly banter and actually learning something from this discussion rather than "Look at me, I can multiquote and copy text".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

And a big sneer.

It's been clear you've been implying its all to do with muslims since the OP. I've already shown this, and you're ignoring the answer.

The same ol strawman. I have attended such a protest, it was a struggle to avoid marching behind an SWP banner, so I marched with and got talking to a group from kilkenny and marched with them behind their banner.

When the protest reached the convention center I listened as, by speach three, the speakers were all shell to sea protesters banging on about drilling for oil off the coast, and I wondered to myself, what the hell does this have to do with the property tax?
    Eventually I left in disgust, because the entire affair has been hijacked by Eirigi and SWP extremists pushing their own micro agenda's and p[olitical ambitions, and I sure as hell wasn't going to storm the convention center and by association ally myself with those scumbags, because at the end of the day, you're judged by the company you keep.

PS. I didn't see any guns or petrol bombs in the crowd either, and had I, I'd have been long gone from such a protest.

This is hilarious. How can you write that and not feel foolish??

Boombastic has already stated that he protests- that is a fact as he is doing it right here, right now, in this very thread!- against taxpayers money being wasted on DFA missions to rescue people when they ignore their warnings abroad. This is an Irish issue. The Halawa family obviously feel strongly about things to protest, as is their right, so it would stand to reason that the plight of Irish people would warrant their protest as much as the plight of Egyptians. If not more, because they were born Egyptian, but they chose to become Irish :).

I don't mind a good debate/ discussion on any topic, I don't have to agree with what anyone says, I have even learned a thing or two from the rebuttals here! However it's a sorry state of affairs when mine or anyone else's argument becomes so threatening to the ideals of another person that they turn to putting words in someone's mouth, assumption/ supposition and, ironically given the nature of this thread and accusations of islamophobia and racism, even xenophobia.

Can we stop now? I'd like to get back to a bit of friendly banter and actually learning something from this discussion rather than "Look at me, I can multiquote and copy text".

When the first line of your post is wrong it's hard to read take the rest of it seriously as you have just shown that you have not been following the thread.

Boom was asked (many times) if he has ever felt strongly enough about ANYTHING to protest. He replied with this made up protest that only he was at:rolleyes:
    I protested for the Irish Consulate to stop helping people who willfully disobeyed their guidelines on travelling to an area and get imprisoned or shot

I told you I organised protests for the Irish consulate and embassies to stop wasting their time, money and endangering their lives for idiots who willing get mixed trouble abroad.

But hey if you think he is being serious and deserves to be listened to as a reasonable poster (who will ask MANY questions but will refuse to answer one) then that's your choice. Me? As i told him last night from now on he will be treated with the ridicule and contempt that he has earned.

Boombastic has already stated that he protests- that is a fact as he is doing it right here, right now, in this very thread!- against taxpayers money being wasted on DFA missions to rescue people when they ignore their warnings abroad.

Even if I have not followed the whole thread, you didn't even follow my whole post which you have quoted from. This is the first line of my post, not just the part that you bolded!
    what's with the sudden emergence of a Dutch sub-community of posters on this topic?

This is the type of poster that has earned ridicule and contempt. You might not like the answers that you have got but the questions have been answered multiple times. I'm not going to presume what you want him to say, but he has provided answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I think it is reasonable to expect that if you travel overseas and take part in a protest in a country in turmoil that it may not turn out ok.

Even if I have not followed the whole thread, you didn't even follow my whole post which you have quoted from. This is the first line of my post, not just the part that you bolded!

But he is not protesting he is trolling BIG difference!
    This is the type of poster that has earned ridicule and contempt. You might not like the answers that you have got but the questions have been answered multiple times. I'm not going to presume what you want him to say, but he has provided answers.

Apple monkey snotrag....That's what his "answers" equate to.

He was saying that in answer to this...not you
    I'm eligible to vote in Ireland as I am a Citizen. I exercise* my right to vote.
    I holiday in Holland every year. I don't interfere in Dutch Politics or attend protests there as I am not eligible to vote there. I don't holiday in countries with unstable governments on the verge of meltdown. I don't send my children on holidays in to near war zones. I would ask my relations from the unstable region to holiday in Ireland, as I would not want to see the shot and it's the year of the gathering and all

* I don't go down to the polling booth and start doing sit-ups and other exercises :pac:
    You holiday in Holland? Are you from there? Do you have family there?
    They obviously follow politics passionately enough to go protesting, just wondering if they felt so passionate about any issue in their country of citizenship to take to the streets.

Yes, and...?

He was saying that in answer to this...not you

Again, supposition.

The post was a page after Boom's post, the poster had posted numerous times since that and it was directly after my post. They haven't posted since. I don't know how someone making it clear that they holiday in NL and are not from there would equate to a "Dutch subculture".

To be honest, I'm pretty sure that the OP was basically in relation to the sensationalist headline. I don't want to get drawn into making inflammatory comments to shock people into siding with me.

My stance, again, is that this family were in fact holidaying with their extended family in Egypt, as they have been for years. However, they have also been protesting in favour of an undemocratic political group when on holiday in Egypt, for years. Yet they choose to reside in and enjoy the nationality of a democratic country??

The family that are in Ireland pleading for the help of the consulate have deliberately misled the media, consulate and DFA into assisting them, even though the truth would just as well have warranted the DFA to act- I believe that the role of the DFA is to assist anyone in distress in a foreign country, no matter what the case. I would like to know why their family are doing this, and why we should have any more sympathy for them than the girls in Peru, some young lad who tried to assasinate a president in Bolivia or a girl who is on trial for murdering a baby in Boston. In fact, their political leanings would threaten the democratic society that I enjoy and am proud to live in! That and they have willingly put a minor in mortal danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

. I would like to know why their family are doing this, and why we should have any more sympathy for them than the girls in Peru, some young lad who tried to assasinate a president in Bolivia or a girl who is on trial for murdering a baby in Boston. In fact, their political leanings would threaten the democratic society that I enjoy and am proud to live in! That and they have willingly put a minor in mortal danger.

muslims protesting is the same as killing babies? think your mask has slipped.

threaten democracy in ireland :D

Leftist wrote: »
    muslims protesting is the same as killing babies? think your mask has slipped.

It is an accusation, she has not been convicted- innocent until proven guilty. We haven't even got any solid proof that the Cairo 4 have been accused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Joe10000 wrote: »
    I think it is reasonable to expect that if you travel overseas and take part in a protest in a country in turmoil that it may not turn out ok.

Agreed
    Would you walk with a banner in Zimbabwe calling for the removal of Mugabe and not expect a rifle butt in the jaw !?!?

I'm eligible to vote in Ireland as I am a Citizen. I exercise* my right to vote.
    I holiday in Holland every year. I don't interfere in Dutch Politics or attend protests there as I am not eligible to vote there. I don't holiday in countries with unstable governments on the verge of meltdown. I don't send my children on holidays in to near war zones. I would ask my relations from the unstable region to holiday in Ireland, as I would not want to see the shot and it's the year of the gathering and all

* I don't go down to the polling booth and start doing sit-ups and other exercises :pac:
    Again, supposition.

The post was a page after Boom's post, the poster had posted numerous times since that and it was directly after my post. They haven't posted since. I don't know how someone making it clear that they holiday in NL and are not from there would equate to a "Dutch subculture".

To be honest, I'm pretty sure that the OP was basically in relation to the sensationalist headline. I don't want to get drawn into making inflammatory comments to shock people into siding with me.

My stance, again, is that this family were in fact holidaying with their extended family in Egypt, as they have been for years. However, they have also been protesting in favour of an undemocratic political group when on holiday in Egypt, for years. Yet they choose to reside in and enjoy the nationality of a democratic country??

The family that are in Ireland pleading for the help of the consulate have deliberately misled the media, consulate and DFA into assisting them, even though the truth would just as well have warranted the DFA to act- I believe that the role of the DFA is to assist anyone in distress in a foreign country, no matter what the case. I would like to know why their family are doing this, and why we should have any more sympathy for them than the girls in Peru, some young lad who tried to assasinate a president in Bolivia or a girl who is on trial for murdering a baby in Boston. In fact, their political leanings would threaten the democratic society that I enjoy and am proud to live in! That and they have willingly put a minor in mortal danger.

Again thank you for clarifying that you don't read posts correctly. I will post this once more for you to see where you went wrong and then i will put you in the same contempt box as boom. Good luck screaming at the clouds you both seem to enjoy it.
    You holiday in Holland? Are you from there? Do you have family there?

They obviously follow politics passionately enough to go protesting, just wondering if they felt so passionate about any issue in their country of citizenship to take to the streets.

Yes, and...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

I have heard their sister (who is safe here in Ireland) slating the Egyptian Army, the Egyptian Government and it's supporters., now if any of my family was being held in a foreign prison, I hope I would have the cop on not to piss off their captors.

I hve agreed with you before that Boom's posts are sometimes ambiguous. He did clarify a good 40 minutes before Cody's heinous post that he is not Dutch, and that he only holidays there.

Boombastic's post clarified his nationality here in 440:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86127356&postcount=440

and Cody's post was 465:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86129622&postcount=465

But this is all completely off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

ruthloss wrote: »
    I have heard their sister (who is safe here in Ireland) slating the Egyptian Army, the Egyptian Government and it's supporters., now if any of my family was being held in a foreign prison, I hope I would have the cop on not to piss off their captors.

Oh dear might be a lot of Nodins dragging themselves away ,heads bowed.
    Time will tell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement