Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish teenager is 'being beaten to hell' in a Cairo prison

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

bumper234 wrote: »
    If you saw your home country going to the dogs, if you saw the army killing your country men/women/children if you had family in danger and you were there would you not stand shoulder to shoulder in protest and say no more? Or would you hide under the bed and let others do it for you?

I wouldn't send my teenage child on holidays there

I wouldn't bring my teenage brother to a protest, no matter how peaceful

Would you?
    It's the father's home country, not this boy who was born and has lived all his life in Ireland. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the father speaking from Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Boombastic wrote: »

Would you?

What if he was ALREADY there. And i asked would YOU do anything not your son.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Hadn't seen that. Terrible turn of events. I hope that it's a minor injury and that he's getting the correct medical attention.

I hope his parents and sisters are now regretting their encouragement that he engage in dangerous activities. They are the adults in all of this.

Would you?

Pro lifers bring babies in prams to protests i don't see you knocking on their door telling them they are wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

They obviously follow politics passionately enough to go protesting, just wondering if they felt so passionate about any issue in their country of citizenship to take to the streets.

So have you ever attended a bank bail out protest or a protest on an irish issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dees99

They left Ireland to go and protest in support of a radical Muslim president who was elected because at the time he promised the opposite to the current regime when democracy fevour was still sweeping the country.
    In the days before he was disposed Morssi elected a new man as govener of luxor. This same man was a member of the Islamist group who killed 55 foreigners in Luxor in the 80s. Along with many more locals.

Why as a Democratic country should we reach out to help people who support such a regime? Leave them there I say, who wants extreme thrash like that in our country?

Nodin wrote: »
    So have you ever attended a bank bail out protest or a protest on an irish issue?

This is completely irrelevant, as you well know. Boombastic may not be a person who is interested in politics or issues at all, in Ireland or anywhere else. The Halawas clearly are, so it would be a reasonable assumption to make that if they valued the way of life in Ireland as much as they value the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, then they would protest on behalf of Irish people.

Pro lifers bring babies in prams to protests i don't see you knocking on their door telling them they are wrong.

:confused:
    You don't know the half of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

dees99 wrote: »
    They left Ireland to go and protest in support of a radical Muslim president
    One of the sisters who is not in Egypt said the family routinely go there during the annual Summer holidays.
    who was elected because at the time he promised the opposite to the current regime when democracy fevour was still sweeping the country.
    In the days before he was disposed Morssi elected a new man as govener of luxor. This same man was a member of the Islamist group who killed 55 foreigners in Luxor in the 80s. Along with many more locals.
    and these siblings were protesting an illegal regime who killed 900+ people in 7 days, so this...
    Why as a Democratic country should we reach out to help people who support such a regime?
    ...is nonsense.

:confused:
    You don't know the half of it!

I know because you seem to have issues with answering questions when asked. Hard to have a debate when one side refuses to answer questions. You're worse than a politician on the campaign trail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

This is completely irrelevant, as you well know. Boombastic may not be a person who is interested in politics or issues at all, ..........

...if that's the case, then its a bit much he's questioning others then. We shall see if we get an answer.

I know because you seem to have issues with answering questions when asked. Hard to have a debate when one side refuses to answer questions. You're worse than a politician on the campaign trail.

I asked you the following questions a few posts ago and I will just point out they remain unsanswered after I answered both your questions but carry on. can you highlight the questions I have issues avoiding, because it seems to me that it is your good self avoiding providing answers.

Would you?
    It's the father's home country, not this boy who was born and has lived all his life in Ireland. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the father speaking from Dublin?

I think he just feels he can say ambiguous things and you guys will jump to conclusions- ie "Fightgate". You might even jump to the right one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

what's with the sudden emergence of a Dutch sub-community of posters on this topic?

what's with the sudden emergence of a Dutch sub-community of posters on this topic?

Conspiracy theories forum >>>

I asked you the following questions a few posts ago and I will just point out they remain unsanswered after I answered both your questions but carry on. can you highlight the questions I have issues avoiding, because it seems to me that it is your good self avoiding providing answers.

If my teenage son was there and he felt his family (sisters/aunts/grandparents) were in danger then yes i would expect him to protest. Not because i wanted him to but because he is a strong willed individual who was bought up to stand up to bullies.

Questions you avoided? One i asked is have you ever demonstrated about anything ever?

Erm, I'm Irish, not that it makes a difference. Is it boards.you'renotallowedtopostifyou'refromanothercountry.ie?

I'm sorry that my differing opinion incites xenophobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I am an Irish Citizen. How is me attending an Irish Protest comparable to an Irish Citizen (17 years old) attending a protest in a foreign country?
    he has dual citizenship

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

If my teenage son was there and he felt his family (sisters/aunts/grandparents) were in danger then yes i would expect him to protest. Not because i wanted him to but because he is a strong willed individual who was bought up to stand up to bullies.

Questions you avoided? One i asked is have you ever demonstrated about anything ever?

Wow, that's were we differ. I would have a major problem with my 17 year old son if he was out protesting and got shot in a foreign country, protesting against a foreign government, the same week his offers for University came out. I would have a bigger problem if he willingly got involved.

Questions I have not avoided 'have you ever demonstrated about anything ever?' I'll refer you to

and

Just so there is no confusion for any xenophobes, I'm Irish too, I've clearly stated that many times.

Wow, that's were we differ. I would have a major problem with my 17 year old son if he was out protesting and got shot in a foreign country, protesting against a foreign government, the same week his offers for University came out. I would have a bigger problem if he willingly got involved.

Questions I have not avoided 'have you ever demonstrated about anything ever?' I'll refer you to

and

Just so there is no confusion for any xenophobes, I'm Irish too, I've clearly stated that many times.

Yeah i was actually looking for real answers to the question not some made up ****e but it's ok i expected you to do that and am happy for you to prove my point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

dees99 wrote: »
    They left Ireland to go and protest in support of a radical Muslim president who was elected because at the time he promised the opposite to the current regime when democracy fevour was still sweeping the country.

Why as a Democratic country should we reach out to help people who support such a regime? Leave them there I say, who wants extreme thrash like that in our country?
    because their irish citizens (dual citizenship) the muslam brotherhood were democratically elected, now i'm sure their not the type of people we'd like ruling us but they were elected by the people, and now the military have removed them and now are butchering egyptian citizens in the street, wouldn't like them ruling us either

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

he has dual citizenship

This is also speculation, it has been widely reported that they are Irish citizens and Irish passport holders but it has not been reported that they have dual citizenship.

Nodin wrote: »
    ...still can't answer a simple question....

Have you ever attended a bank bail out protest or a protest on an irish issue? You seem to think this family has to answer to it, so its only fair you do yourself.

See my response to this but while we are on the subject of unanswered questions

Here are some that were buried unanswered in the thread

do you think it is something a good parent would do?

Why do you think this is about Muslims?
    Why do you think that all radicals are Islamists?

Edit: Just to clarify the above questions for anyone just starting to read the thread, these questions where raise earlier due to conclusions Nodin jumped to, It's way back << I can't be finding the posts :)I am not suggesting all radicals are Islamist or that this thread is even vaguely anything to do with Muslims

See my response to this but while we are on the subject of unanswered questions

Here are some that were buried unanswered in the thread

Oh no.....you 1st.......i insist :D

Yeah i was actually looking for real answers to the question not some made up ****e but it's ok i expected you to do that and am happy for you to prove my point.
    Oh no.....you 1st.......i insist :D

I though you were happy with the answer I gave as it proved your point and had moved on from there :confused:

The questions you quoted were directed at Nodin but by all means feel free to contribute your own thoughts on them :)

I'm disappointed* after I was good enough to answer the 'fight' question

*disappointed but hopeful that you are taking the time,giving thought and consideration to the questions before replying :)

Edit: :D:D:D

I though you were happy with the answer I gave as it proved your point and had moved on from there :confused:

The questions you quoted were directed at Nodin but by all means feel free to contribute your own thoughts on them :)

I'm disappointed* after I was good enough to answer the 'fight' question

*disappointed but hopeful that you are taking the time,giving thought and consideration to the questions before replying :)

Na am just gonna treat you with the contempt you deserve from here on in.

Na am just gonna treat you with the contempt you deserve from here on in.

:D Why do I deserve contempt? for trying to find how a 17 year old ended up as part of a protest in a foreign country and as we now know got shot. We differ on opinion if that deserves contempt, but you are free to have your opinion and I respect that

I was good enough to disclose my ancestral home :), it would be could if it was reciprocated :)

:D Why do I deserve contempt? for trying to find how a 17 year old ended up as part of a protest in a foreign country and as we now know got shot. We differ on opinion if that deserves contempt, but you are free to have your opinion and I respect that

I was good enough to disclose my heritage, it would be could if it was reciprocated :)

You are worthy of only contempt at this stage.

You are worthy of only contempt at this stage.

:( that makes me sad that you feel that way

• Advertisement

:( that makes me sad that you feel that way

Yawn.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement