Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish teenager is 'being beaten to hell' in a Cairo prison

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Nodin wrote: »
    There's evidence that they were at a demonstration and took shelter, none thus far for anything else. I haven't said they were charged with murder, weren't at the demonstration or anything else. The majority of my posts have been refutations of some of the wilder nonsense that's been thrown about.

There's evidence that they were demonstrating and were taken out of a mosque- they had broken a curfew and were involved in public disorder. These are reasons for arrest in any country, so it's not just as simple and innocent as sheltering really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Young men generally don't look for trouble in the company of their sisters. That's a fact.............

Ever heard of Wayne Dundon who shot the guy in the bar for not letting his underage sister in?

Brother and sister, looking for trouble. Your 'facts' don't hold water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Boombastic wrote: »
    Explain to me how this example of another Irish Lad I used, ..........

You used him as an example of somebody who didn't get much sympathy.

When originally questioned this was your answer.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86080737&postcount=6

...why you think this constant dishonesty is going to work in a medium which has a preserved record of what you stated is beyond me, I have to say.

Have you ever attended a bank bail out protest or a protest on an irish issue?

You implied that the young man in Egypt was there to 'fight'. Why did you do that?

You stated this young lad might be radicalised in Egypt or Ireland. Who did you think would be responsible?

There's evidence that they were demonstrating and were taken out of a mosque- they had broken a curfew and were involved in public disorder. These are reasons for arrest in any country, so it's not just as simple and innocent as sheltering really.

They were at a demonstration, theres no evidence they were involved in disorder.

Ever heard of Wayne Dundon who shot the guy in the bar for not letting his underage sister in?

On what basis do you make this comparison?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭justanotherone

While some call this taking refuge, the Guardian, who had a reporter there who referred to it " one of the last major remnants of the Brotherhood's sit-ins ".

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/17/egypt-cairo-mosque-muslim-brotherhood

I deplore the sickening bloodshed.

Why did these people place themselves in a position where they were " forced to take refuge ". They had already been at an occupation / sit in, where 600 people had apparently been killed. Indeed they photographed some of dead victims and put them on facebook.

I don't think it was a simple case of " taking refuge ". The incident was more complicated than that.

They could have gone down to the Egyptian Embassy in Dublin to protest with Muslim Youth Of Ireland to peacefully protest to their hearts content. They have gone and put themselves in these situations. Repeatedly. They are lucky they were not killed. And if they were, would the family be complaining that the Irish government did not protect them ?

And as for "protesting", as though "protesting" is an inherently honorable and nice thing. I don't agree at all with what is going on in Egypt, but one of the things some of these people to be protesting against is the interuption of the imposition of Sharia Law on Egypt. That's what the Muslim Brotherhood were working towards. Sharia Law is not democratic.

You used him as an example of somebody who didn't get much sympathy.

When originally questioned this was your answer.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86080737&postcount=6

...why you think this constant dishonesty is going to work in a medium which has a preserved record of what you stated is beyond me, I have to say.

You implied that the young man in Egypt was there to 'fight'. Why did you do that?

You stated this young lad might be radicalised in Egypt or Ireland. Who did you think would be responsible?

No. I'm not sure you are reading my posts but anyway

That young guy was another young Irish citizen who went to a foreign country to interfere with government that didn't turn out well

Was he not fighting Nodin, fighting for a cause he believed in? Was he just having a picnic? fight definition: To strive vigorously and resolutely: fought against graft; fighting for her rights.
    Who and what were you referring to when you stated

...who would be doing the radicalising?

I'm convinced now you really have not being reading my posts

Who was I referring to? the young child, the Irish Citizen in Egypt

Who would be doing the radicalising? That is what I asked in the OP. If he was radicalised, if I knew why, would I be asking?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I don't agree with his imprisonment. That said, he was there to support a fundamentalist theocratic regime, so **** him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

So did the 9/11 hijackers. And their principles had a great deal in common with the MB and their supporters.
    As I have already explained, I don't think they deserve credit imply for standing up for 'anything'; I have already explained why their right to protest has legitimacy... you know, in light of the coup and the wholesale slaughter of protesters like...

It's typical of a very persistent social attitude in this country. The media frets over a foolish drug mule and extends hostile coverage to what seem to be a group of bright young people who maintain their right to protest a violation of international law and the murder of innocents. Perspective....

I'm beginning to think you're some kind of bot that Ryanair would block on their website :pac:

If I could take a liberty and answer some of the above.

Whether or not I have attended any protest is irrelevant. If the Halawa family are prepared to stand up for persecution of their people, surely a protest on the bank bailout or austerity measures would also be high on their agenda?

I have not said that anyone is fighting, but throwing around words like "Jihad" and "Martyr" doesn't strike me as the most peaceful of things to do.

If they have become radicalised, then it really is contrary to them begging for the help of Irish, Catholic politicians to aid them in their time of need
    They were at a demonstration, theres no evidence they were involved in disorder.

There was a curfew, which they were breaking. This amounts to disorder.

• Advertisement

I edited this in to my last post but I think so much of the word has been made throughout the thread, not looking at anyone in particular ;P) it deserves to be defined (and I have time on my hands now!!)

fight :
    To strive vigorously and resolutely: fought against graft; fighting for her rights.
    To try to prevent the development or success of.
    A struggle to achieve an objective

:)

I'm beginning to think you're some kind of bot that Ryanair would block on their website :pac:

If I could take a liberty and answer some of the above.

...........rder.

None of them relate to you. They are directed at another poster, based on posts hes made.

None of them relate to you. They are directed at another poster, based on posts hes made.

It's all resolved now anyway Nodin, Hasn't it? :D

No. I'm not sur To strive vigorously and resolutely: .................fought against graft; fighting for her rights.
    :

Your implication that he was involved in direct physical action like the lad in Syria.
    Who was I referring to? the young child, the Irish Citizen in Egypt

Who would be doing the radicalising? That is what I asked in the OP. If he was radicalised, if I knew why, would I be asking?:pac:

It was clear what you were implying. Why you lack the courage to say it outright is less clear.

I know, I've been following :D

I was just wondering if you would stop pressing CTRL V if I rudely answered on said poster's behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

Their family needs to be asked inconvenient questions, such as why they were acting as human shields and useful idiots for an Islamic terrorist organization and what they think about the Sharia law.

I know, I've been following :D

I was just wondering if you would stop pressing CTRL V if I rudely answered on said poster's behalf.

If you mean pressing for answers - no, no chance at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

To all the Islamist defenders on this thread-bury your head in the sand and you're in line for one helluva kick in the ass.

Your implication that he was involved in direct physical action like the lad in Syria.

It was clear what you were implying. Why you lack the courage to say it outright is less clear.

I'm eligible to vote in Ireland as I am a Citizen. I exercise* my right to vote.
    I holiday in Holland every year. I don't interfere in Dutch Politics or attend protests there as I am not eligible to vote there. I don't holiday in countries with unstable governments on the verge of meltdown. I don't send my children on holidays in to near war zones. I would ask my relations from the unstable region to holiday in Ireland, as I would not want to see the shot and it's the year of the gathering and all

* I don't go down to the polling booth and start doing sit-ups and other exercises :pac:

I holiday in Holland every year. I don't interfere in Dutch Politics or attend protests there as I am not eligible to vote there.

They should have gone to Germany to protest, they would have had a very warm welcome there. Tea, sandwiches, music, they love a good protest!

In fact, let's all go to Germany!

• Advertisement

They should have gone to Germany to protest, they would have had a very warm welcome there. Tea, sandwiches, music, they love a good protest!

In fact, let's all go to Germany!

I'll go if there's a marching band...I love marching bands!

Icepick wrote: »
    Their family needs to be asked inconvenient questions
    Their son has been shot in the arm, and he and his sisters are imprisoned by a regime which has killed almost 1,000 human beings in the past week.

I don't think they need to be asked your "inconvenient questions" at all.

Maybe you need to reflect on whether, if this was happening in Ireland, you would be protesting? Expecting international protests, even?

I'm eligible to vote in Ireland as I am a Citizen. I exercise* my right to vote.
    I holiday in Holland every year. I don't interfere in Dutch Politics or attend protests there as I am not eligible to vote there. I don't holiday in countries with unstable governments on the verge of meltdown. I don't send my children on holidays in to near war zones. I would ask my relations from the unstable region to holiday in Ireland, as I would not want to see the shot and it's the year of the gathering and all

* I don't go down to the polling booth and start doing sit-ups and other exercises :pac:

...still can't answer a simple question....

Have you ever attended a bank bail out protest or a protest on an irish issue? You seem to think this family has to answer to it, so its only fair you do yourself.

...still can't answer a simple question....

Have you ever attended a bank bail out protest or a protest on an irish issue? You seem to think this family has to answer to it, so its only fair you do yourself.

can you explain the relevance of the answer to this thread? I am an Irish Citizen. How is me attending an Irish Protest comparable to an Irish Citizen (17 years old) attending a protest in a foreign country?

can you explain the relevance of the answer to this thread? I am an Irish Citizen. How is me attending an Irish Protest comparable to an Irish Citizen (17 years old) attending a protest in a foreign country?

Because you asked in your op
    Did the parents not move to Ireland for a better life, were they out
    protesting at the bank bail outs or any other Irish issue?

Their son has been shot in the arm

Where has this been reported??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

You holiday in Holland? Are you from there? Do you have family there?

Because you asked in your op

They obviously follow politics passionately enough to go protesting, just wondering if they felt so passionate about any issue in their country of citizenship to take to the streets.
    bumper234 wrote: »
    You holiday in Holland? Are you from there? Do you have family there?
    Yes, and...?

Where has this been reported??
    On the radio... in the Irish Times...

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/africa/irish-in-cairo-reportedly-jailed-as-charges-investigated-1.1499862
    The Halawa sisters appeared in good health but Ibrahim Halawa had a bandaged hand. He told the visiting diplomat that the injury was a result of a gunshot wound sustained during the mosque siege.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

They obviously follow politics passionately enough to go protesting, just wondering if they felt so passionate about any issue in their country of citizenship to take to the streets.

Yes, and...?

If you saw your home country going to the dogs, if you saw the army killing your country men/women/children if you had family in danger and you were there would you not stand shoulder to shoulder in protest and say no more? Or would you hide under the bed and let others do it for you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement