Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Still think Murrays 3 sons are the pick of the crop. Reckon they will go down, in house fighting with a newly promoted team is a recipe for relegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

Story is that about 15 years ago Cappoquin hurling was on its knees, a group of men started at U6 and built the underage structures to start producing some fine young hurlers and camogie players,
    Fintan Murray spent God knows how many hours down in the pitch with the bulk of this years intermediates since they first caught a Hurley, his own sons the pick of the bunch.
    For the first time this year the guys putting in the sterling work underage got a shot at the intermediate team and they won it, and the Munster, they went senior in both hurling and camogie... No club deserved it more for the work that went in underage.
    Shortly after they lost the all Ireland semi final Fintan was told he couldn't name his own selectors or run the team the way he wanted, some of the selectors he wanted were Cappoquin men who turned the club around 15 years ago, but no that's not good enough for the crowd who hung around and destroyed the intermediate team for years and never did a tap underage.
    Fintan should have got at least one more year on his terms for all he has done for the club and the success he had this year... But no instead he was shafted and Cappoquin lose there two best players in god knows how long in finan and Conor murray as well as a lot of guys doing the work underage...

So you work tirelessly for 15 years, win something for the first time in 40 years, win a Munster, and you are sacked and they bring in guys from midelton, fourmilewater and lismore instead of you...
    Real forward thinking there by the club, absolutely disgusting... The surrounding clubs are having some laugh off this

By all accounts Conor Murray ( listed as a Cappoquin player ) played well for the u21s last night against Abbeyside. Eoghan Murray is on the minor county panel as well, so would they not need to be playing for their club to be considered for the county teams. The transfer deadline is gone and to get a transfer outside of the county requires proof of residence within that county, so I would imagine, that Cappoquin are their only choices at this stage.
    Going by your username you are obviously closer to the scene than I am, but I am told that Conor and Eoghan will be playing with Cappoquin this year ( did not hear anything about Finan).
    Where does the great Magoo, who must have been involved with every underage Cappoquin team of the last 20 years, stand on all this? Is he not related to Fintan Murray?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 hurlinbanter

Story is that about 15 years ago Cappoquin hurling was on its knees, a group of men started at U6 and built the underage structures to start producing some fine young hurlers and camogie players,
    Fintan Murray spent God knows how many hours down in the pitch with the bulk of this years intermediates since they first caught a Hurley, his own sons the pick of the bunch.
    For the first time this year the guys putting in the sterling work underage got a shot at the intermediate team and they won it, and the Munster, they went senior in both hurling and camogie... No club deserved it more for the work that went in underage.
    Shortly after they lost the all Ireland semi final Fintan was told he couldn't name his own selectors or run the team the way he wanted, some of the selectors he wanted were Cappoquin men who turned the club around 15 years ago, but no that's not good enough for the crowd who hung around and destroyed the intermediate team for years and never did a tap underage.
    Fintan should have got at least one more year on his terms for all he has done for the club and the success he had this year... But no instead he was shafted and Cappoquin lose there two best players in god knows how long in finan and Conor murray as well as a lot of guys doing the work underage...

So you work tirelessly for 15 years, win something for the first time in 40 years, win a Munster, and you are sacked and they bring in guys from midelton, fourmilewater and lismore instead of you...
    Real forward thinking there by the club, absolutely disgusting... The surrounding clubs are having some laugh off this

Def not how the larger scale of people are seeing things. no one denies fintan done his fair share for the club but a club cant be held to ransom just because you have players that will walk away in protest if you dont get your own way. And on the note of them being the 2 best hulers paul murray the loobys on the backline were outstanding and may I add they have never thrown the rattlers from the cot and there father has also done a tremendous amount for the club. Fintan was asked to stays and point blank refuses unless it is all his own way which is very childish .like I said before there is more to any club then one players. Plus I would say his younger son would def have struggled to make the team this year

Def not how the larger scale of people are seeing things. no one denies fintan done his fair share for the club but a club cant be held to ransom just because you have players that will walk away in protest if you dont get your own way. And on the note of them being the 2 best hulers paul murray the loobys on the backline were outstanding and may I add they have never thrown the rattlers from the cot and there father has also done a tremendous amount for the club. Fintan was asked to stays and point blank refuses unless it is all his own way which is very childish .like I said before there is more to any club then one players. Plus I would say his younger son would def have struggled to make the team this year.fintan o connor from fourmilewater was fantastic for the team throughout the year and players had great respect for him but he did have his work cut out for him and had many a row on the sideline over certain players positions. As far as im aware this is why the committee needed to have 2 neutral parties on board so there would be no clouded views any reasonable manager would want the same. I firmly believe it can be very difficult to be manager and have sons playing judgement can be dented.maybe fintan should just enjoy watching his boys play and support them in that respect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Glenshelane

Def not how the larger scale of people are seeing things. no one denies fintan done his fair share for the club but a club cant be held to ransom just because you have players that will walk away in protest if you dont get your own way. And on the note of them being the 2 best hulers paul murray the loobys on the backline were outstanding and may I add they have never thrown the rattlers from the cot and there father has also done a tremendous amount for the club. Fintan was asked to stays and point blank refuses unless it is all his own way which is very childish .like I said before there is more to any club then one players. Plus I would say his younger son would def have struggled to make the team this year.fintan o connor from fourmilewater was fantastic for the team throughout the year and players had great respect for him but he did have his work cut out for him and had many a row on the sideline over certain players positions. As far as im aware this is why the committee needed to have 2 neutral parties on board so there would be no clouded views any reasonable manager would want the same. I firmly believe it can be very difficult to be manager and have sons playing judgement can be dented.maybe fintan should just enjoy watching his boys play and support them in that respect

Doesn't matter how the vast majority of peopl see it I know what's right.
    Fintan picked 5 selectors, the club wanted 6, the were afraid he had too much power, now they either should have given him the job on his terms or not at all, he wouldn't be the first to walk in those circumstances... They wanted an extra body in there to over rule him?
    Why? I guess he was taking off the guys with the wrong surname.
    I would call certain players calling a meeting behind his back to get rid of him as throwing out the rattlers to be honest.
    He should have been allowed the job on his terms, he wasn't asking for anything crazy, he is too honest for some people, doesn't care who you are when picking the team... A great club man lost and the people who only show up to committee meetings and intermediates games get their way... The real work happens down the field Lads and ye just lost someone who did the bulk of it.., ye will reap what ye sow eventually

• Advertisement

Fintan picked 2 and the committee wanted 2 more more as the original 2 wouldnt be very outspoken which of course was part of the plan on fintans part ..it def matters how the majority of people feel all these people contribute to the club in every way possible and to say they dont matter is a joke...it was very reasonable of the committee to request 2 more on board ...like I said before fintan walked again a while back and finan followed again...the players cant have this threat hanging over them constantly that if things dont work out for fintan that they will loose valuable players..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Glenshelane

Fintan picked 2 and the committee wanted 2 more more as the original 2 wouldnt be very outspoken which of course was part of the plan on fintans part ..it def matters how the majority of people feel all these people contribute to the club in every way possible and to say they dont matter is a joke...it was very reasonable of the committee to request 2 more on board ...like I said before fintan walked again a while back and finan followed again...the players cant have this threat hanging over them constantly that if things dont work out for fintan that they will loose valuable players..

Oh right so you are basically saying that the guys Fintan picked were only yes men? Nice to see the underage work they put in is appreciated if that is the opinion of them... As you said yourself those lads contributed to the club every way possible and to call them yes men is a joke and untrue.

Committees don't worry about picking teams buddy, that's the managers job, you are basically saying the committee wanted their men on the line to pick the team, who would stand for that? You honestly don't see what id wrong with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Hurling man

No one said anything about yes men but lets look at it realistically why would they not want to continue on with lads from last year. Cappoquin have got rid of every trainer they had for the last 7 years and from what I heard if Fintan o connor hadn't joined Waterford they wanted rid of him aswell. No club that changes trainers or managers continuously will ever achieve anything in the long term. Also this famous underage structure ur on about was set up by the great Mcgoo by all accounts and from what I hear he wanted set up to stay the same aswell. Anyway we can argue about this forever but if it's not sorted soon it will do no one any good the two younger murrays won't be able to play with county teams and cappoquin will be without three good hurlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

No one said anything about yes men but lets look at it realistically why would they not want to continue on with lads from last year. Cappoquin have got rid of every trainer they had for the last 7 years and from what I heard if Fintan o connor hadn't joined Waterford they wanted rid of him aswell. No club that changes trainers or managers continuously will ever achieve anything in the long term. Also this famous underage structure ur on about was set up by the great Mcgoo by all accounts and from what I hear he wanted set up to stay the same aswell. Anyway we can argue about this forever but if it's not sorted soon it will do no one any good the two younger murrays won't be able to play with county teams and cappoquin will be without three good hurlers.

When a new manager is appointed he normally assembles his backroom team. When this happened in Cappoquin then why did the committee want further selectors added to the existing management team, not one but two. Looking from the outside in it looks like controlling behavior by the committee. Surely a man that has rolled up his sleeves helping to bring through good underage talent in the club deserves to assemble his management team when giving the role as manager of the adult club team. It seems some in Cappoquin are intent on holding the club back.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Hurling man

When a new manager is appointed he normally assembles his backroom team. When this happened in Cappoquin then why did the committee want further selectors added to the existing management team, not one but two. Looking from the outside in it looks like controlling behavior by the committee. Surely a man that has rolled up his sleeves helping to bring through good underage talent in the club deserves to assemble his management team when giving the role as manager of the adult club team. It seems some in Cappoquin are intent on holding the club back.
    He was manager last year he was not being appointed as new manager at all why get rid of lads that he worked with already it makes no sense at all and as far as I know most clubs would have to ratify management teams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 MoPeer

There and their thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

MoPeer wrote: »

you forgot they're

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Pretty handy rule of thumb - here and (t)here, heir and (t)heir.

One is for position, the other is for possession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

Jamsie o Connor on newstalk said he thinks waterford will be a force again this year. I think he is right, I am hugely encouraged by the start of the season.

Some great performances by young players they will grow into the jersey in 1B

Anyone who underestimates us will be doing so at THEIR peril

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

That's. Sorry now

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

Have the three brothers left? Or is it usual Gaa idle Threat?

Best of luck to all the waterford lads in fitzgibbon action today. Is there a possibility the 2 bennett brothers could end up marking eack other in the ul v lit game? Thatd be the flaking!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Best of luck to all the waterford lads in fitzgibbon action today. Is there a possibility the 2 bennett brothers could end up marking eack other in the ul v lit game? Thatd be the flaking!!!

Stephen would destroy him. He'll probably be full forward though.

Take it uve never had kieran bennett mark u....

Take it uve never had kieran bennett mark u....

Touché

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Fitzgibbon semi between WIT and CIT now gone to extra time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Gleeson and Mahony going well for WIT, 5 points up in ET

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Gleeson with 1.06 including 1 from a sideline cut. Some talent.

cul beag wrote: »
    Gleeson with 1.06 including 1 from a sideline cut. Some talent.

Ya unreal.. Big workload on these lads this week

Kieran a fine hurler, presumably on the U21? Worth looking at for the seniors eventually too

Touché

it wasnt the first pop youve had at him on this board

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Deise189

Kieran a fine hurler, presumably on the U21? Worth looking at for the seniors eventually too

He`s a tidy hurler and has plenty of talent but at the moment and for the next few years I think he will remain down the pecking order unless he improves a lot.

Any one know/hear how Stephen Bennett got on with UL? Was he moving a bit more freely or still stretching his hips?

Sounded like all the Waterford lads had a good game for WIT especially Gleeson with 1-5 from play and another point from a sideline! Although part of me was hoping they lost so as to reduce the playing time for the likes of Gleeson, Mahony and Dillon! It's a real shame that these college fixtures clash so much with the league. No wonder burnout is such an issue these days.

Deise189 wrote: »
    He`s a tidy hurler and has plenty of talent but at the moment and for the next few years I think he will remain down the pecking order unless he improves a lot.

Any one know/hear how Stephen Bennett got on with UL? Was he moving a bit more freely or still stretching his hips?

Sounded like all the Waterford lads had a good game for WIT especially Gleeson with 1-5 from play and another point from a sideline! Although part of me was hoping they lost so as to reduce the playing time for the likes of Gleeson, Mahony and Dillon! It's a real shame that these college fixtures clash so much with the league. No wonder burnout is such an issue these days.

I disagree i think fitzgibbon will bring these lads on no end. Yes theres a lot of games in one week but it is only one week of the year after all. I dont think any other county has as many seniors panelists involved this year as waterford do so it is a bit of a headache for derek mcgrath but ultimately it is a positive to have so many players competing at this level.

As for the final itself i think ul will be favourites as wit have had 2 games this week. But still wouldnt write off wit pulling it off again. Under bonner they have a great record in finals

it wasnt the first pop youve had at him on this board

Show me the other. Stephen is the best underage prospect we've had that I've seen (I wouldn't have seen Ken or Flynn or those lads at that age).

Kieran might be his brother, doesn't mean hes as good. And if Stephen is alot better (which he is) that's no disgrace to him either. The lad is unbelievably talented.

• Advertisement

Show me the other

I remember recently it might have been waterford v lit, waterford crystal game. paudie mahony racked up a big score but you said something along the lines that he was only marking kieran bennett so it was to be expected

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement