Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

PTH2009 wrote: »
    id be concerned over the offaly game now with the fitzgibbon replay likely to be on next tuesday or wednesday and the offaly match being on next saturday

we could be missing Pauric Mahony, Austin Gleeson, Martin O Neill and possibly more for the offaly game
    You have to be a troll, it's impossible for someone to be that negative. If we were playing the kerry u11 development squad you'd have concerns ''aaah well their parents promised them to go to Mcdonalds if they won, I'm not sure we are focused or determined as much as them, think they'll shade it by 3 points''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    You have to be a troll, it's impossible for someone to be that negative. If we were playing the kerry u11 development squad you'd have concerns ''aaah well their parents promised them to go to Mcdonalds if they won, I'm not sure we are focused or determined as much as them, think they'll shade it by 3 points''

Does he not have a point? Missing some of our best players and it's an away game. I would not say we are going to lose but I don't think we will run away with it...

O Riain wrote: »
    Does he not have a point? Missing some of our best players and it's an away game. I would not say we are going to lose but I don't think we will run away with it...
    have you ever seen him post a message here where he is positive about a game? I'm talking about his general comments, he put laois down to beat us in the last game, fair enough paudie and aussie could be missing, even if they were 100% he'd still say something pessimistic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Offaly are very poor and even being away I'd still be expecting a win, with or without Aussie and Paudie. They scraped a win over Laois (the same Laois team we battered by 18pts a week later) and Wexford beat them comfortably the last day in Tullamore. I don't expect a runaway victory but we should come out with a few points to spare.

The biggest game of the weekend in the group will be Limerick v Wexford. Hard one to call with Wx at home. By 4pm Sunday evening we'll know a lot more about our prospects of topping the group. A draw would be a good result for us I suppose but our fate is in our own hands so the aim will be to go out and beat Offaly, Antrim and Wexford.

Edit: Aussie and Paudie will be available I'd imagine, the Fitz replay on Weds 11th after the Offaly game. Antrim will be a wrk later so it'll be potentially 3 games in a week for the lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Deise_2012 wrote: »

Bingo. Stop feeding it. All he wants is a reaction and he gets plenty of it on here. At least the brickey fellah thinks hes interesting. This chap gets his kicks out of irritating the f##k out of people

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Cake Man wrote: »
    Offaly are very poor and even being away I'd still be expecting a win, with or without Aussie and Paudie. They scraped a win over Laois (the same Laois team we battered by 18pts a week later) and Wexford beat them comfortably the last day in Tullamore. I don't expect a runaway victory but we should come out with a few points to spare.

The biggest game of the weekend in the group will be Limerick v Wexford. Hard one to call with Wx at home. By 4pm Sunday evening we'll know a lot more about our prospects of topping the group. A draw would be a good result for us I suppose but our fate is in our own hands so the aim will be to go out and beat Offaly, Antrim and Wexford.

Edit: Aussie and Paudie will be available I'd imagine, the Fitz replay on Weds 11th after the Offaly game. Antrim will be a wrk later so it'll be potentially 3 games in a week for the lads.

Id say they should get the Antrim game off, wed want to be beating them regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Any update on the transfer saga in Cappoquin? Surely it will have a huge bearing on their year ahead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

Q1. How many All Irelands have Offaly won since 1959 ? Q.2. How many All Ireland club championships have Offaly teams won since the competition was formed ? Answer to both, much more than Waterford have.

Not saying Offaly are going to beat W'ford but judging by some comments, this is just a steering job for W'ford ; not so, even if W'ford beat a very inept Laois team more comprehensively than Offaly did but to quote Brian Cody, each game takes on a life of its own ; also, Wexford had an extra man for most of the second half in their recent victory against Offaly and anyone in O'Connor park for the 2013 qualifier knows the score (and I don't think their paths have diverged that much in the interim).

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Anyone name the players who are U21 on the senior hurling panel?

I'm not sure if a senior hurling panel has been named (it certainly hasn't been announced) but the following under 21s have all been involved with the senior hurling team this year:

Tadhg de Búrca
    Austin Gleeson
    Shane Bennett
    Stephen Bennett
    Mike Kearney
    Michael Harney
    Colin Dunford
    Ryan Donnelly
    Tom Devine
    Shane McNulty
    Mark O'Brien
    DJ Foran
    Cormac Curran

Presumably Patrick Curran would have been on the senior panel if he wanted to, and I understand he is available for Under 21.

Two Under 21 players who, in my opinion, should be on the senior panel are Seanie Barry and Kieran Power.

There are also a some Under 21s who played Fitzgibbon Cup this year: Kieran Bennett, Cathal Curran, Christy Breathnach.

Other Under 21s who might be in contention include Kevin Daly, Barry O'Sullivan, Conor Gleeson, Colm Roche, Jason Roche, Tom Tobin, Cian Leamy, Adam O'Sullivan, William Hahessy. Also there may some others who will show up from the current series of games between the Under 21s and the county's senior clubs (anybody got the score from the game with Ballygunner last Friday?).

So clearly there is plenty of talent available. How about the following for a possible starting team against Cork (presuming Shane Bennett, who will be doing the Leaving Cert, will be available):
    Seanie Barry
    Kieran Bennett, Kevin Daly, Conor Gleeson
    Shane McNulty, Kieran Power, Tadhg de Búrca
    Michael Harney, Tom Devine
    Shane Bennett, Austin Gleeson, DJ Foran
    Colin Dunford, Stephen Bennett, Patrick Curran

Subs: Mike Kearney, Cormac Curran, Ryan Donnelly, Mark O'Brien, Cathal Curran, Cian Leamy, Barry O'Sullivan

Have I missed anyone out?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

Giveitfong wrote: »
    I'm not sure if a senior hurling panel has been named (it certainly hasn't been announced) but the following under 21s have all been involved with the senior hurling team this year:

Tadhg de Búrca
    Austin Gleeson
    Shane Bennett
    Stephen Bennett
    Mike Kearney
    Michael Harney
    Colin Dunford
    Ryan Donnelly
    Tom Devine
    Shane McNulty
    Mark O'Brien
    DJ Foran
    Cormac Curran

Presumably Patrick Curran would have been on the senior panel if he wanted to, and I understand he is available for Under 21.

Two Under 21 players who, in my opinion, should be on the senior panel are Seanie Barry and Kieran Power.

There are also a some Under 21s who played Fitzgibbon Cup this year: Kieran Bennett, Cathal Curran, Christy Breathnach.

Other Under 21s who might be in contention include Kevin Daly, Barry O'Sullivan, Conor Gleeson, Colm Roche, Jason Roche, Tom Tobin, Cian Leamy, Adam O'Sullivan, William Hahessy. Also there may some others who will show up from the current series of games between the Under 21s and the county's senior clubs (anybody got the score from the game with Ballygunner last Friday?).

So clearly there is plenty of talent available. How about the following for a possible starting team against Cork (presuming Shane Bennett, who will be doing the Leaving Cert, will be available):
    Seanie Barry

Subs: Mike Kearney, Cormac Curran, Ryan Donnelly, Mark O'Brien, Cathal Curran, Cian Leamy, Barry O'Sullivan

Kevin Daly out for the year. So things would need to be swapped about

• Advertisement

Tadhg de Búrca
    Austin Gleeson
    Shane Bennett
    Stephen Bennett
    Mike Kearney
    Michael Harney
    Colin Dunford
    Ryan Donnelly
    Tom Devine
    Shane McNulty
    Mark O'Brien
    DJ Foran
    Cormac Curran

Seanie Barry

gleeson corner back?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Tadhg de Búrca
    Austin Gleeson
    Shane Bennett
    Stephen Bennett
    Mike Kearney
    Michael Harney
    Colin Dunford
    Ryan Donnelly
    Tom Devine
    Shane McNulty
    Mark O'Brien
    DJ Foran
    Cormac Curran

Seanie Barry

What about martin o Neill, Jamie Barron and donie brathnach. ? Are they all over 21?

Q1. How many All Irelands have Offaly won since 1959 ? Q.2. How many All Ireland club championships have Offaly teams won since the competition was formed ? Answer to both, much more than Waterford have.

Not saying Offaly are going to beat W'ford but judging by some comments, this is just a steering job for W'ford ; not so, even if W'ford beat a very inept Laois team more comprehensively than Offaly did but to quote Brian Cody, each game takes on a life of its own ; also, Wexford had an extra man for most of the second half in their recent victory against Offaly and anyone in O'Connor park for the 2013 qualifier knows the score (and I don't think their paths have diverged that much in the interim).

There will be no Waterford players going up to offaly thinking this will be an easy game that's for sure. We only put up a good score against laois after the sending off.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Kevin Daly out for the year. So things would need to be swapped about

Kevin was caught out in the U21 game last year against Cork, he was really shown up in that match with his lack of pace in full back i wouldn't think he's intercounty standard

What about martin o Neill, Jamie Barron and donie brathnach. ? Are they all over 21?

All over age unfortunately.

Tadhg de Búrca
    Austin Gleeson
    Shane Bennett
    Stephen Bennett
    Mike Kearney
    Michael Harney
    Colin Dunford
    Ryan Donnelly
    Tom Devine
    Shane McNulty
    Mark O'Brien
    DJ Foran
    Cormac Curran

Seanie Barry

Serious squad of players there. Some options in the forward line aswell. I would think Dunford might go to midfield with Kieran Power? Conor Murray from Cappoquin apparently has been showing up well in a few of these games against the senior clubs so he might be another option for the panel. Could be in trouble for a fullback,Daly hasn't the pace at this level and was caught out badly last year in Walsh Park against Cork. Hayden from Ballygunner has been impressive enough in that position but I would like to see him tested there against better opposition. But how many years have we thought we had great teams in this grade only to see ourselves getting severe hidings so its hard to be over enthusiastic but hopefully Mullane and Browne will bring something new and different to inspire this talented bunch.

cul beag wrote: »
    Serious squad of players there. Some options in the forward line aswell. I would think Dunford might go to midfield with Kieran Power? Conor Murray from Cappoquin apparently has been showing up well in a few of these games against the senior clubs so he might be another option for the panel. Could be in trouble for a fullback,Daly hasn't the pace at this level and was caught out badly last year in Walsh Park against Cork. Hayden from Ballygunner has been impressive enough in that position but I would like to see him tested there against better opposition. But how many years have we thought we had great teams in this grade only to see ourselves getting severe hidings so its hard to be over enthusiastic but hopefully Mullane and Browne will bring something new and different to inspire this talented bunch.

We were unlucky against clare twice U21 could have beaten them and they went on to beat everyone else comfortably to win all Ireland. What is it with Waterford teams we have center backs in abundance but can never find an out and out full back like Brian lohan (half as good as B. Lohan will do)

Tadhg de Búrca
    Austin Gleeson
    Shane Bennett
    Stephen Bennett
    Mike Kearney
    Michael Harney
    Colin Dunford
    Ryan Donnelly
    Tom Devine
    Shane McNulty
    Mark O'Brien
    DJ Foran
    Cormac Curran

Seanie Barry

Cheers for the info man

We were unlucky against clare twice U21 could have beaten them and they went on to beat everyone else comfortably to win all Ireland. What is it with Waterford teams we have center backs in abundance but can never find an out and out full back like Brian lohan (half as good as B. Lohan will do)

Yes and we went up to Ennis under Fergal Hartley's command with a"strong" team and got blown away and we won't mention last year's debacle against a poor Cork team in our own back yard. It certainly will not be easy this year with the draw so lets not start getting too confident just see how the whole regime takes shape. But,and its only a but,if they do click this team could be serious contenders for silverware.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Shane Roche, Jason Roche and more so Conor Murray have all had some game time with the Seniors during the extensive series of trial matches pre season. In fairness one player that has played more than most has been Tommy Waring.

There seems to be an open door policy between the Senior and U21 panels (for now anyway) where some players are moving between both panels - Murray, Foran. Cormac Curran, Harney, MOB, Barry and a couple of others. I think the U21 panel will be finalised in April after the series of challenges so maybe the senior one will be April too when all injuries are cleared.

For info Ballygunner 3-11 Waterford 0-10 from the other night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Q1. How many of the current offaly side would get into the great teams of the 80s and 90s?

Its all well and good to talk about history and tradition but offaly havent been at the races for at least 10 years now. They produce the odd good performance here and there and everyone likes to talk about how you can never write off the faithful but the truth is they are a team that counties expect to beat. Not necessarily easily, but its as a game waterford should be winning nonetheless. There is no great history of rivalry between waterford and offaly, as the great offaly team of the 90s was on the wane while the waterford Renaissance was taking off. So theres no history of a fear factor there as far as waterford are concerned. Considering where offaly ended up last year basically avoiding division 2 relegation by default i think its reasonable that we should be exoectibg nothing other than a win on saturday

More on the Tipp challenge last week. Looks like they'll have enough Mahers, Meaghars and O Mearas to field a team soon

http://www.nationalist.ie/sport/bill-maher-puts-in-big-display-as-old-rivals-end-level-1-6612731

Should we play our strongest 15 against offaly or should we be concerned about player welfare and rest all players playing in fitzgibbon cup final?
    Should this team beat offaly away:

S o k
    Fives. Coughlan. Connors
    Bourke. Philip Mahoney. Prendergast
    Barron. Moran
    Brathnach. Connors Shane Bennett
    Halloran. Brick. Ware/kearney

U21 Result

fm tomasmcc twiter
    Waterford 4-20 DLS 2-23

Maurice Shan came on 2nd half got 0-6
    Goals DJ Foran, Sam O Neill, Brendan Phelan, Jason Gleeson

• Registered Users Posts: 37,988 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

3ships wrote: »
    U21 Result

fm tomasmcc twiter
    Waterford 4-20 DLS 2-23

Maurice Shan came on 2nd half got 0-6
    Goals DJ Foran, Sam O Neill, Brendan Phelan, Jason Gleeson
    Maurice Shan is still under 21 or was he playing just to get match fit??

Really hope this under 21 team are successful

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Maurice Shan is still under 21 or was he playing just to get match fit??

Really hope this under 21 team are successful

Maurice just getting a run out seems - positive from both management teams to allow this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Any team named tonight for Saturday?

Cake Man wrote: »
    Any team named tonight for Saturday?

Not that I could find. Probably named tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Who are the S Dalton and M Shanahan from Waterford who played for the University of Limerick in the Freshers League final yesterday? UL beat UCC in extra time. Patrick Curran was listed at right half forward for UCC and scored 1-7, 1-6 from frees. Conor Gleeson came on as a sub.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement