Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The Offaly match has been moved to sat 7th match

I'd say the Offaly county board done that so that our fitzgibbon cup lads will still be tired, not sure Offaly have any players in the fitz semi finals

Surely they couldn't do that just to suit themselves? Must be another reason

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

The Cappoquin situation is some farce.. How they could f*ck it up so quickly is a more stunning achievement then anything they did on the field last year.
    Their best players the Murrays have left (one on senior panel although that panel may not be finalised yet) but the club are trying to block the transfers. Messy
    The other senior clubs will be delighted as they will go straight back down, they spent most of the last 50 years intermediate and that's where they will be staying
    The good hurling men up there would want to make a stand for their club - they will be a laughing stock facing lismore.

Bit of a mess up there alright. It is a shame,and there in never a good time for a fall out in a club but for it to happen up there now does make there cause alot harder if the transfers do go through. Wouldn't imagine Lismore will be laughing at them as they're not blessed with a world beating team either and given that its a local derby it just might be what Cappoquin need to bond them together. They certainly will be underdogs and will have nothing to lose so I wouldn't be writing them off just yet. Haven't they added a former u21 Wexford player to there squad aswell so maybe he will fill Conor Murray's position at centre back. I think if they do lose this game they will struggle through the rest of the rounds as its hard to see them picking up points from any of the other teams. One thing is certain it definitely will have left a lasting scare up there as everyone seems to be discussing it around west Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

If that's true what's on the GAAs website, and its 3pm on a Saturday that is some f*ck up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

1 John Gartland Ardmore
    2 Eddie Hayden Ballygunner
    3 David Walsh Ballygunner
    4 Billy O Keeffe Ballygunner
    5 Cormac Curran Brickey Rangers
    6 Conor Murray Cappoquin
    7 Willie Hahessey Clonea
    8 Jason Gleeson Clonea
    9 Tom Moran De La Salle
    10 Kieran Power Dungarvan
    11 Gavin Power Dungarvan
    12 Sam O Neil Erins Own
    13 Dermot Ryan Fourmilewater
    14 Seanie Barry Lismore
    15 Jason Roche Passage
    16 Jack Walshe Portlaw
    17 Paul O Toole Roanmore
    18 Craig Burke Tramore

U21s v Abbeyside

archieknox wrote: »
    Bit of a mess up there alright. It is a shame,and there in never a good time for a fall out in a club but for it to happen up there now does make there cause alot harder if the transfers do go through. Wouldn't imagine Lismore will be laughing at them as they're not blessed with a world beating team either and given that its a local derby it just might be what Cappoquin need to bond them together. They certainly will be underdogs and will have nothing to lose so I wouldn't be writing them off just yet. Haven't they added a former u21 Wexford player to there squad aswell so maybe he will fill Conor Murray's position at centre back. I think if they do lose this game they will struggle through the rest of the rounds as its hard to see them picking up points from any of the other teams. One thing is certain it definitely will have left a lasting scare up there as everyone seems to be discussing it around west Waterford.

Sad fact is that this probably happens every year up there but only hearing about it this year cause they were successful

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Sad fact is that this probably happens every year up there but only hearing about it this year cause they were successful

Yea they were at it again a couple years ago when finan murray left the panel for a season. Pure nonsense. The GAA at its very worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

It's mad the way things turned to Shyte for ballysaggart and Cappoquin after their all-Ireland club runs... Maybe the disappointment is too much to take...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Slobbery wrote: »
    It's mad the way things turned to Shyte for ballysaggart and Cappoquin after their all-Ireland club runs... Maybe the disappointment is too much to take...

Ballysaggart would never turn on each other like that. No one person is bigger than that club. They were just let down by one mouthpiece who couldn,t keep his emotions in check. Cappoquin on the otherhand are a victim of their own high opinions of themselves. Thats been their issue with years

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Such a pity if the situation in Cappoquin is as described. Really good young hurling team with a good underage structure.. Really though they could stay up senior this year and push on in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Ballysaggart would never turn on each other like that. No one person is bigger than that club. They were just let down by one mouthpiece who couldn,t keep his emotions in check. Cappoquin on the otherhand are a victim of their own high opinions of themselves. Thats been their issue with years

I never said ballysaggart turned on each other - just meant the outcomes for both clubs,, though totally different circumstances left a lot to be desired

• Advertisement

Alot going on up there by the sounds of things. Was at the u21 challenge tonight and Conor Murray was very good for them. A shame really if he doesn't get to play senior this year because he has a lot to offer. Kieran Power and Seanie Barry were probably the others to stand out along with Sam O Neill at full forward. He scored 1-3 but he still seems to be carrying a few extra pounds so he could have something to offer if he got in shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Blaboy

Same old story in Cappoquin, The more people do for this club the less thanks they get and this has been the trend down through the years. It isn't who you are in the club but who you know.. If you aren't related or connected someway within the town/ club you don't have a chance. This goes on when they are winning and also when they are losing!! Saying that it's not just the GAA in the town, every other sporting club there is the same - Rowing Club, Snooker Club, Soccer Clubs etc, they all split. The powers that be in all these are the downfall of their own success..!! Such a shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Deise189

1 John Gartland Ardmore
    2 Eddie Hayden Ballygunner
    3 David Walsh Ballygunner
    4 Billy O Keeffe Ballygunner
    5 Cormac Curran Brickey Rangers
    6 Conor Murray Cappoquin
    7 Willie Hahessey Clonea
    8 Jason Gleeson Clonea
    9 Tom Moran De La Salle
    10 Kieran Power Dungarvan
    11 Gavin Power Dungarvan
    12 Sam O Neil Erins Own
    13 Dermot Ryan Fourmilewater
    14 Seanie Barry Lismore
    15 Jason Roche Passage
    16 Jack Walshe Portlaw
    17 Paul O Toole Roanmore
    18 Craig Burke Tramore

U21s v Abbeyside

Not the first time in these challenges I`ve seen Seanie Barry named outfield. Does he start there and is he focusing on becoming an outfield player or does anyone know why this is?

Where did Cormac Curran play? Seems to be named a different position every match. I don`t mind if it's changing between forward positions or defense if he is consistently played as a back or forward but would rather players with potential like him stays in one area. Can`t help but think it hinders their development a bit such as Jamie Barron playing corner back underage.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

I would think that's just a list of names now in fairness.. Shows your knowledge.. Cause there is no way some of these lads are playing in those positions.

Also what exactly is going on in Cappoquin.. A brief synopsis will be fine..

• Registered Users Posts: 29 hurlinbanter

Blaboy wrote: »
    Same old story in Cappoquin, The more people do for this club the less thanks they get and this has been the trend down through the years. It isn't who you are in the club but who you know.. If you aren't related or connected someway within the town/ club you don't have a chance. This goes on when they are winning and also when they are losing!! Saying that it's not just the GAA in the town, every other sporting club there is the same - Rowing Club, Snooker Club, Soccer Clubs etc, they all split. The powers that be in all these are the downfall of their own success..!! Such a shame!
    to be fair I didnt hear the rowing club and snooker clubs were split and the soccer clubs have been that way for years due to the 2 different leagues...as for the gaa you cant please everyone and the cappoquin club would love to see the boys hurling for there club but unfortunately 1 person cant run a club and do as they see fit it has to be agreed by a committee ...cappoquin club are very united regardless of what is happening and I can only imagine that they will do their best and look forward to the year ahead whatever the outcome

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Deise189 wrote: »
    Not the first time in these challenges I`ve seen Seanie Barry named outfield. Does he start there and is he focusing on becoming an outfield player or does anyone know why this is?

Where did Cormac Curran play? Seems to be named a different position every match. I don`t mind if it's changing between forward positions or defense if he is consistently played as a back or forward but would rather players with potential like him stays in one area. Can`t help but think it hinders their development a bit such as Jamie Barron playing corner back underage.

from tomasmcc twitter
    Waterford U 21 v Abbeyside: Barry Ryan Hayden Hahessey Moran Roche O Keeffe Murray Power O Toole C Curran Gartland Gleeson O Neill Burke

Park Hotel U 21 Challenge Full Time Waterford 1-13 Abbeyside 0-15 Sam O Neill shot 1-3 Conor Murray & Kieran Power also stood out

Deise189 wrote: »

Barry was in goal and Curran played centre forward and was substituted at halftime. It was a poor enough affair,Abbeyside were short Podge Hurney and Richie Foley why looby and prunty were substituted at halftime aswell. They don't seem to have too much hurling done yet which is to be expected at this time of year but I'm sure Seanie O Brien will get that sorted as the year goes on.
    Hayden from Ballygunner at fullback for the u21 wasn't bad and its a position that is up for grabs in that team as I don't think we have any natural fullbacks to come into that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

If something isn't resolved in Cappoquin they could follow in the footsteps of Ballyduff Lower a few years ago and their could be a mass exodus of players. Would be sad to see as they have one of the best underage structures in the county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

shoddy14 wrote: »
    If something isn't resolved in Cappoquin they could follow in the footsteps of Ballyduff Lower a few years ago and their could be a mass exodus of players. Would be sad to see as they have one of the best underage structures in the county.

whats after happening up there....ive not been fully following it??

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

From what I can gather there seems to be a huge split between last yrs manager and the committee and his sons now have decided to transfer elsewhere.

• Advertisement

shoddy14 wrote: »

Would you think it is that serious there? I couldn't imagine many more leaving over it but then I don't know the full story either so you could be right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

cul beag wrote: »
    From what I can gather there seems to be a huge split between last yrs manager and the committee and his sons now have decided to transfer elsewhere.

why did thety get rid of last years manager/what wascthe general cause of the rift....I taught they were going wrell

why did thety get rid of last years manager/what wascthe general cause of the rift....I taught they were going wrell

Think the committee wanted to add 2 new selectors to his management team and he wouldn't agree. Again that's only the story I heard so I'm sure there are better posters on here better equipped to tell the full story.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 hurlinbanter

cul beag wrote: »
    Think the committee wanted to add 2 new selectors to his management team and he wouldn't agree. Again that's only the story I heard so I'm sure there are better posters on here better equipped to tell the full story.

as far as I know that is the jist of it but I also heard he had resigned earlier in the year and came back again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Glenshelane

Story is that about 15 years ago Cappoquin hurling was on its knees, a group of men started at U6 and built the underage structures to start producing some fine young hurlers and camogie players,
    Fintan Murray spent God knows how many hours down in the pitch with the bulk of this years intermediates since they first caught a Hurley, his own sons the pick of the bunch.
    For the first time this year the guys putting in the sterling work underage got a shot at the intermediate team and they won it, and the Munster, they went senior in both hurling and camogie... No club deserved it more for the work that went in underage.
    Shortly after they lost the all Ireland semi final Fintan was told he couldn't name his own selectors or run the team the way he wanted, some of the selectors he wanted were Cappoquin men who turned the club around 15 years ago, but no that's not good enough for the crowd who hung around and destroyed the intermediate team for years and never did a tap underage.
    Fintan should have got at least one more year on his terms for all he has done for the club and the success he had this year... But no instead he was shafted and Cappoquin lose there two best players in god knows how long in finan and Conor murray as well as a lot of guys doing the work underage...

So you work tirelessly for 15 years, win something for the first time in 40 years, win a Munster, and you are sacked and they bring in guys from midelton, fourmilewater and lismore instead of you...
    Real forward thinking there by the club, absolutely disgusting... The surrounding clubs are having some laugh off this

• Registered Users Posts: 27 SkipFC

I heard there was a meeting called by the chairman between himself and six Cappoquin players where they decided to get Fintan Murray out, Fintan O'Connor was already leaving to join the Waterford setup and they didn't want Murray in charge on his own.

Cappoquin had a challenge game tonight against St Mollerans abandoned with 10 minutes to go because of a massive brawl

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Hurling man

Cappoquin club committee wanted to have a say in what was happening in the club. Last years manager wanted to get in new selectors and get rid of lads that were there last year. Committee wouldn't agree and although they wanted manager to stay on he walked away. His sons are now looking to leave aswell. It's a massive shame this as happened because from what I am hearing this row was taking place before all Ireland semi final too.

However no team can be run by one individual and I know they had success last year but leaving a father be manager with two sons on the team is asking for trouble in my opinion. As far as I know his third son is eligible to play this year but is leaving now as well.

I know many people have said on here that they are cappoquins best hurlers too but from seen a few of there games I actually thought Paul Murray was nearly best player ( not related I think) followed closely by county minors arron o Sullivan and andy molumby. Shane o Rourke done most of the scoring

If the boys want everything there own way there is no place for them in any team. And I can't see too many clubs wanting to take them either no matter how good they are.

I hope Cappiquin draw a line under it and get on with playing senior hurling with or without the lads

SkipFC wrote: »
    I heard there was a meeting called by the chairman between himself and six Cappoquin players where they decided to get Fintan Murray out, Fintan O'Connor was already leaving to join the Waterford setup and they didn't want Murray in charge on his own.

Cappoquin had a challenge game tonight against St Mollerans abandoned with 10 minutes to go because of a massive brawl

Sounds like their frustrations were let out so tonight!

Cappoquin club committee wanted to have a say in what was happening in the club. Last years manager wanted to get in new selectors and get rid of lads that were there last year. Committee wouldn't agree and although they wanted manager to stay on he walked away. His sons are now looking to leave aswell. It's a massive shame this as happened because from what I am hearing this row was taking place before all Ireland semi final too.

However no team can be run by one individual and I know they had success last year but leaving a father be manager with two sons on the team is asking for trouble in my opinion. As far as I know his third son is eligible to play this year but is leaving now as well.

I know many people have said on here that they are cappoquins best hurlers too but from seen a few of there games I actually thought Paul Murray was nearly best player ( not related I think) followed closely by county minors arron o Sullivan and andy molumby. Shane o Rourke done most of the scoring

If the boys want everything there own way there is no place for them in any team. And I can't see too many clubs wanting to take them either no matter how good they are.

I hope Cappiquin draw a line under it and get on with playing senior hurling with or without the lads

You do realise this is a local GAA club we are talking about? Not having a father as manager must be a rarity..
    St Thomas won an all Ireland club with 6 sons on the team and the father as a manager.
    Cappoquin have a lot of talent actually I had forgotten about the guys you named above, I'd say they will do alright but will still go down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Hurling man

You do realise this is a local GAA club we are talking about? Not having a father as manager must be a rarity..
    St Thomas won an all Ireland club with 6 sons on the team and the father as a manager.
    Cappoquin have a lot of talent actually I had forgotten about the guys you named above, I'd say they will do alright but will still go down

Fair point about st tomasas but I just think if it can be avoided ur better off. I know at underage level parents are bound to be involved but at adult grade I don't think it works. Some parents are too hard on their own lads some thinks sun shines out of their arse not sure if this is cause of what happened in Cappoqinn but it can't help now just because manager goes they are down three players. All teams change managers if they have sons on the team changing manager can be a disaster as we r seeing now in cappoquin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement