Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Jesus this game is gone fair tactical, it was like all the managers of every team met over the Christmas and decided how they could Possibly make it far less interesting to watch hurling, this was coming, as we have been seeing it on and off now for about 2/3 years, but now it seems to be the blue print on how to win games, defend deep, put numbers behind the ball, pack half back lines and pack even full back lines, create space and overlaps and accurate shooting win games, i wish it wouldn't though, and before anyone says otherwise everybody is at it, just some teams make it look more straight jacketed,Laois had it so much that there plan A,B,C,AND D is defend and shoot from distance, and up to the sending off we did the same at home to Laois [no disrespect intended as blah, blah blah,hurling county,doing their best with what they have type ****e], and we were three points up when Laois had a player sent off[deserved it, but could have gone for a foul 5 min before actual sending off], This is how the game is now so get on with it, don't have to like it though.
    The system we played in the first half, it had a few glitches , one Soky has to hit the corner back in the chest everytime with puck outs or your immediatly under pressure which results in Barry coughlan taking a ball standing and having to break cover with no build up and with that ref he'll blow for over carrying just for attention, this results in the ball being fonged into the full forward line as happened to often with no direction it made Kearney and devine look lazy and either too light[kearney], or too slow [devine], it has no room for the type of individualism that mark either the greats or the not good enoughs, and at the moment at 19 years of age ,Austin gleeson has to make a decision does he utilise all the god given ability and talent and physique , at his disposal or does he turn into a side show, and he has to do it now as he is now dancing with the big boys and not playing U18 b for Mount sion where everybody is rubbing his balls, now don't get me wrong he did well, but in a tight game when every score matters his three runs[and lost the ball in the opposing half forward line ], and the trying to hit 6 points a game and score two, if he laid off two balls out of three and put two balls don the line rather than 4 wides we'd be saying, Did anyone see that display ?, he is top top drawer, and i believe he'll do it, and also stop over reacting to stuff that should not bother you, we've seen that before and it just screams look at me arn't i the dogs**** ?, this lad has amazing and i mean amazing potential , but he needs to become a man now and do it, and cut out the silly stuff, don't want to be talking about it in 5 years time, when he is still at the same level doing the same things.
    Brick is some man,Enough said, Moran had a 10 Min spell where he lucked hungry and decided he had enough, de burca is one serious ,quality ,wonderfull ability , really brave and committed strong excellent hurler and has good feet too, he is going to have some year, he broke a wing forward after 20 min with a fair shoulder, and his hurling and striking are a joy, had a pot shot or two himself, but most of his deliveries were into space or guided into waterford hands, he is up there already as one of our top guys, and a half back line of him , fives as a centre back[he would be out Seanie McMahon if he could get a run going ] and gleeson would be the envy of any county, i Would have the very competent Phillip Mahony at midfield with brick , and i would not change it for the year, there is a five that would compete with the best.
    Laois are a physical side , but will never beat anyone away as, they lack quality scoring forwards , 18 wides the week before, 8/9/10 prior to half time last sat night, never looked like getting a goal, but were still there at half time, and we can talk about late in the game and ,opening up defences tiring ect, but it was not going to happen, we would have won but by about 4/5 points, when we should be winning by 10, were lucky in terms of our scoring avarage, but hard to watch and i don't know does it have to be as rigid.
    On wards now to offaly , antrim and wexford, and bar wexford[who i still think we should be beating], we will be there or there about, i am really looking forward to having a full panal, as i don't believe we will be too far away, with a bit of luck this year could be very good, and i am with alot on here i really believe donnolly has something to offer , and daniels has been out so long i think everybody has forgotton how good he was two years ago, our panel is rounding out, and with the exception of molumphy and maybe , maybe Jamie nagle, you could not argue with the personelle, [i don't think jamie would get game time now], so we are really fit, have a few injuries [always coming back ], have found two new forwards in the two bennetts[i know one is injured, but is top drawer], Shane has a style that will frustrate and delight , mostly delight , so we are going in the right direction Derek has bought himself some serious time now as he looks to be in control, could not say that last year, but am beginning to see it, C'mon Waterford, We have what we have and its furthur along than i thought, i think if we get a run, we could do ok.

Unjustified and undeserved criticism of Gleeson. Firstly on each of his surges forward not one waterford player gave him an option of a pass and secondly about the over reacting, I saw none of that, actually when he shook his markers hand at the start he got a shoulder which he didnt react to and after a run forward in the second half he got 3 fairly hefty shoulders after the move to which again he didnt react.
    One more thing, on Sat night De Burca hit at least 4 very aimeless wides when he had plenty of time to put good ball in front of the forwards also on 2 occasions he made a crazy one hand overhead swipe at the sliotar which could have easily resulted in a yellow an a free. So maybe a bit of balance in your comments. before i'm accused of it I've no connection with Gleeson or his club ( or indeed any club in waterford)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 brickeyvalley

I see the Brickies were beaten in
    their first match in the Minor B
    Football by St. Oliver's. Must have been missing 7 or 8 players playing for the county.

Only saw it now, missed Maurice Daly (county player), Mark Mulvhill (would be starting county if not injured) and Mark Whelan. Cathal Curran played midfield with stiches in his leg, three fourteen year olds started instead at corner back, wing forward and corner forward. Paul Whelan (county) won about 6-8 clean ball catches from midfield, and Carthach Barry (county) ran the game at centre back keeping another county minor Michael Culloo to no score. Missed three big players, one to rugby and two to injury. Lost by three points and lacked three players. Although Darragh O'Grady (county) destroyed Mikey Phelan (county) at Full back. They'll still win the league out.

Also trashed Killrossanty yesterday with half a team out and little training 5-13 to 1-1 and lacked starting players like Maurice Daly (county minor), Paul Whelan (county minor), Carthach Barry (county minor), Jack O' Donnell (county u21), Martin and Lar Houlihan (former county minor and senior players), no Mark Mulvhill or Mark Whelan either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Is calling Austin Gleeson 'Aussie' a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

re Carter 10 - i've read your posts i said i would for balance , and you have a few , so i'll take it and not going to get into an argument over it, just my opinion, time will tell, we'll see, Maybe i Hold Austin Gleeson to a higher account, based on his ability, but i do feel he has everything , and his career will only be hampered by his ability to ingratiate himself into a team structure,and how he applies himself, Eoin Kelly at 19 springs to mind, and i would hate to be looking back in 10/15 years time and say he had all the ability in the world , he could have been a true great , But ......... .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

deiseach wrote: »
    Is calling Austin Gleeson 'Aussie' a thing?

'Aussie Rules' is a thing going by the young mt Sion lads I was sitting near versus cork last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

carter10 wrote: »
    Unjustified and undeserved criticism of Gleeson. Firstly on each of his surges forward not one waterford player gave him an option of a pass and secondly about the over reacting, I saw none of that, actually when he shook his markers hand at the start he got a shoulder which he didnt react to and after a run forward in the second half he got 3 fairly hefty shoulders after the move to which again he didnt react.
    One more thing, on Sat night De Burca hit at least 4 very aimeless wides when he had plenty of time to put good ball in front of the forwards also on 2 occasions he made a crazy one hand overhead swipe at the sliotar which could have easily resulted in a yellow an a free. So maybe a bit of balance in your comments. before i'm accused of it I've no connection with Gleeson or his club ( or indeed any club in waterford)

Disagree when he ran with the ball his head never left his feet.. he didn't look once either side of him to lay off the pass.. On the 3rd occasion he lost it Brick did a child like tantrum stamping his feet that he didn't see him.. On another occasion he had Paudie on his right shoulder.. These are things that need to be ironed out of his game (and de Burca if he is starting to get in on the act) if Waterford are to progress.. You will see it now if he is wing back and start going on a run the clever sides will shift numbers over to his area and will also target that space when he loses it like on Saturday night.. Its just laois didn't have the ability to do it.. Some of his pot shots and De Burca were ridiculous.. But in Waterford we play up to this type of gallery stuff and if you question a lad over it its seen as 'unjust and unfair'

Jamesie o Connor said on numerous occasions after re-watching it saying he has areas he needs to tidy up on.. its as clear as day he does and people defending him over it will do him no good long term.. Hear he is a great lad so it isn't an attack just something he needs to learn.. I hope Derek is in his ear night and day till he gets it even take him off in a few games if he isn't getting the message just to prove a point... it will all be worth it.. A bit like Fergie with Ronaldo in his day when he showboated too much sat his ass on the bench till he learned..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Worth bearing in mind that Jake Dillon set up 1-2 when he came on and didn't look fully right to me even at that.

Brick needs to sharpen his execution but setup 2 goals, got a point and was very involved through out. Would definitely leave him where he is for now.

Paudi Mahony is a superb hurler, and hopefully he stays injury free as you could see a marked improvement last year having gotten the run he didn't get the year before and seems to be continuing on in the same vain.

Thought Noel Connors had a great game, though aided in no small part by having the hand on the back every time the ball came down his wing and I wonder would another ref pull him for it?

Agree on the comments on Gleeson, though I don't mind him having a few shots as he took two incredible scores Saturday night. Can't be going on those solo runs though, the ball travels much faster than him and won't leave us exposed if he's dispossessed. He's got great distribution too, no reason he can't make full use of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Waterford playing Tipp in a challenge next Sunday @1 p.m. in Clonmel sportsfield

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Jesus this game is gone fair tactical, it was like all the managers of every team met over the Christmas and decided how they could Possibly make it far less interesting to watch hurling, this was coming, as we have been seeing it on and off now for about 2/3 years, but now it seems to be the blue print on how to win games, defend deep, put numbers behind the ball, pack half back lines and pack even full back lines, create space and overlaps and accurate shooting win games, i wish it wouldn't though, and before anyone says otherwise everybody is at it, just some teams make it look more straight jacketed,Laois had it so much that there plan A,B,C,AND D is defend and shoot from distance, and up to the sending off we did the same at home to Laois [no disrespect intended as blah, blah blah,hurling county,doing their best with what they have type ****e], and we were three points up when Laois had a player sent off[deserved it, but could have gone for a foul 5 min before actual sending off], This is how the game is now so get on with it, don't have to like it though.
    The system we played in the first half, it had a few glitches , one Soky has to hit the corner back in the chest everytime with puck outs or your immediatly under pressure which results in Barry coughlan taking a ball standing and having to break cover with no build up and with that ref he'll blow for over carrying just for attention, this results in the ball being fonged into the full forward line as happened to often with no direction it made Kearney and devine look lazy and either too light[kearney], or too slow [devine], it has no room for the type of individualism that mark either the greats or the not good enoughs, and at the moment at 19 years of age ,Austin gleeson has to make a decision does he utilise all the god given ability and talent and physique , at his disposal or does he turn into a side show, and he has to do it now as he is now dancing with the big boys and not playing U18 b for Mount sion where everybody is rubbing his balls, now don't get me wrong he did well, but in a tight game when every score matters his three runs[and lost the ball in the opposing half forward line ], and the trying to hit 6 points a game and score two, if he laid off two balls out of three and put two balls don the line rather than 4 wides we'd be saying, Did anyone see that display ?, he is top top drawer, and i believe he'll do it, and also stop over reacting to stuff that should not bother you, we've seen that before and it just screams look at me arn't i the dogs**** ?, this lad has amazing and i mean amazing potential , but he needs to become a man now and do it, and cut out the silly stuff, don't want to be talking about it in 5 years time, when he is still at the same level doing the same things.
    Brick is some man,Enough said, Moran had a 10 Min spell where he lucked hungry and decided he had enough, de burca is one serious ,quality ,wonderfull ability , really brave and committed strong excellent hurler and has good feet too, he is going to have some year, he broke a wing forward after 20 min with a fair shoulder, and his hurling and striking are a joy, had a pot shot or two himself, but most of his deliveries were into space or guided into waterford hands, he is up there already as one of our top guys, and a half back line of him , fives as a centre back[he would be out Seanie McMahon if he could get a run going ] and gleeson would be the envy of any county, i Would have the very competent Phillip Mahony at midfield with brick , and i would not change it for the year, there is a five that would compete with the best.
    Laois are a physical side , but will never beat anyone away as, they lack quality scoring forwards , 18 wides the week before, 8/9/10 prior to half time last sat night, never looked like getting a goal, but were still there at half time, and we can talk about late in the game and ,opening up defences tiring ect, but it was not going to happen, we would have won but by about 4/5 points, when we should be winning by 10, were lucky in terms of our scoring avarage, but hard to watch and i don't know does it have to be as rigid.
    On wards now to offaly , antrim and wexford, and bar wexford[who i still think we should be beating], we will be there or there about, i am really looking forward to having a full panal, as i don't believe we will be too far away, with a bit of luck this year could be very good, and i am with alot on here i really believe donnolly has something to offer , and daniels has been out so long i think everybody has forgotton how good he was two years ago, our panel is rounding out, and with the exception of molumphy and maybe , maybe Jamie nagle, you could not argue with the personelle, [i don't think jamie would get game time now], so we are really fit, have a few injuries [always coming back ], have found two new forwards in the two bennetts[i know one is injured, but is top drawer], Shane has a style that will frustrate and delight , mostly delight , so we are going in the right direction Derek has bought himself some serious time now as he looks to be in control, could not say that last year, but am beginning to see it, C'mon Waterford, We have what we have and its furthur along than i thought, i think if we get a run, we could do ok.

Great post. Unfortunately Donnelly got injured again playing the u21 challenge on sat last so we're not sure how long that sets him back. Agree about Daniels but my fear is he's been out for so long its not going to happen for him over night so he'll need alot of game time to rediscover his best form. What is the story with Brian O Sullivan? Has he taken time out of the panel? Jamie Nagle still has something to offer but maybe we have enough of cover at the back and midfield. Up front i still think we are light,Kearney and Devine don't seem to be showing well at the moment so maybe Dj Foran might be worth a look at? Reports of the u21 game against Passage said he showed up well. Was management too hasty with Ray Barry? Could he offer something up front? Could Padraig Prendergast slot in at wing back and push Aussie up to wing forward? Eddie Barrett is another player due back from injury. Hopefully Darragh Fives get the hamstring sorted once and for all because he opens up several options when fully fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I know its an if but should WIT qualify for the Fitzgibbon final they will play 3 games in 5 days, and the likes of Austin Gleeson and Mahony will have played 4 games in 8 days.

Not sure if he played for Wexford for the weekend, but if so, Harry Kehoe could 4 games in 7 days. An WIT are in no way implicated by the controversy with Mary I and Carlow IT. Absolutely scandalous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Carlow IT beaten after all that. Did see Dunford named on the bench so can't be far off. Harney started CF for them as well

archieknox wrote: »
    Great post. Unfortunately Donnelly got injured again playing the u21 challenge on sat last so we're not sure how long that sets him back. Agree about Daniels but my fear is he's been out for so long its not going to happen for him over night so he'll need alot of game time to rediscover his best form. What is the story with Brian O Sullivan? Has he taken time out of the panel? Jamie Nagle still has something to offer but maybe we have enough of cover at the back and midfield. Up front i still think we are light,Kearney and Devine don't seem to be showing well at the moment so maybe Dj Foran might be worth a look at? Reports of the u21 game against Passage said he showed up well. Was management too hasty with Ray Barry? Could he offer something up front? Could Padraig Prendergast slot in at wing back and push Aussie up to wing forward? Eddie Barrett is another player due back from injury. Hopefully Darragh Fives get the hamstring sorted once and for all because he opens up several options when fully fit.

Shame about Donnelly, stretchered off as well, hope he's alright. BOS travelling this year, ironic that he seems to be the one to opt out. Ray Barry I would like to see there rangey player accurate shot, ideal for the modren tactics. It'll be interesting to see who gets a run against tipp Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I know its an if but should WIT qualify for the Fitzgibbon final they will play 3 games in 5 days, and the likes of Austin Gleeson and Mahony will have played 4 games in 8 days.

Not sure if he played for Wexford for the weekend, but if so, Harry Kehoe could 4 games in 7 days. An WIT are in no way implicated by the controversy with Mary I and Carlow IT. Absolutely scandalous.

It's madness in the first place having the semi-final and final played on the same weekend; it's bound to decrease the quality of the game. It's hard enough playing in shítty conditions without being wrecked as well. Why not play some of the games before Christmas?

I will say that it can be a slight disadvantage to some players on the fringe of county squads to be playing Fitzgibbon during the league, this is often their chance to break in, but don't get the chance.

How did the 21's get on against Roanmore?

Believe U21s won handy - thats all

Reported team:

Gavin Power (Dg)
    Eddie Hayden (Bg)
    Christy Breathnach (Ring)
    Jamie Barron (Ring)
    Jack Mullaney (Sb)
    Keiran Power (Dg)
    MOB (Fb)
    Cathal Curran (Dg)
    Tom Moran (DLS)
    Conor Sheehan (Bg/ also Mary I in ref to a previous post)
    David Walsh (Bg)
    Tommy waring (EO)
    Tim O Sullivan (Bg)
    Cormac curran (BR)
    Adam Farrell (DLS)

Subs
    Seanie Barry (Lm)
    Michael Kiely (Dg)
    Paul O Connor (Cm)
    Jack Walsh (Pl)
    Stephen Dalton (DLS)
    Colm Roche (Sr)

Great to see lads 18-21 given a platform, also a nod to the next year or 2 as well.

Next up Abbeyside Wed, Ballygunner Sat

• Registered Users Posts: 39,538 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

WIT ahead 1-7 to 1-4 at HT

1-13 1-6 now 45 min

1-18 1-7 full time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

3ships wrote: »
    Carlow IT beaten after all that. Did see Dunford named on the bench so can't be far off. Harney started CF for them as well

Yea dunford came on in the second half. Kieran bennett having a good tournament with LIT aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Shame about Donnelly, stretchered off as well, hope he's alright. BOS travelling this year, ironic that he seems to be the one to opt out. Ray Barry I would like to see there rangey player accurate shot, ideal for the modren tactics. It'll be interesting to see who gets a run against tipp Sunday

Ray Barry indicated that he would be heading off aswell thats why he wasnt considered

Ray Barry indicated that he would be heading off aswell thats why he wasnt considered

Thats grand. It's been widely reported he was dropped, then again I've been reading recently that Patrick Curran is on the panel since last year.
    Source: Colm Keys of the Indo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,072 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Are we guranteed a league Quarter final spot or can we still be caught ???

pity we wont be on tv til at least the wexford game (highlights on the following monday night)

Wonder how well the Waterford vs Antrim double bill will do (12.45 NHL, 14.30 NFL) in Walsh Park on the 15 march

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Thats grand. It's been widely reported he was dropped, then again I've been reading recently that Patrick Curran is on the panel since last year.
    Source: Colm Keys of the Indo

Paddy I think isn't making himself available for the seniors he's concentrating on the club and u21 along with the ucc freshers. With the workload involved these days its hard to blame these fellas for making certain decisions about what teams to play for. It is getting more common now of players getting burnout at an early age.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Any update on Wayne Hutchinson has he left Ballygunner? Dean Twomey supposed to be going to Canada has anyone heard that? Hard to keep up with all the goings on! The turmoil in Cappoquin doesn't seem to be anyway near a conclusion by all accounts. Pity after having such a successful year.

cul beag wrote: »
    Any update on Wayne Hutchinson has he left Ballygunner? Dean Twomey supposed to be going to Canada has anyone heard that? Hard to keep up with all the goings on! The turmoil in Cappoquin doesn't seem to be anyway near a conclusion by all accounts. Pity after having such a successful year.

Hutchinson gone to St Judes Dublin. Twomey is off to Canada. Cappoquin no idea

archieknox wrote: »
    Paddy I think isn't making himself available for the seniors he's concentrating on the club and u21 along with the ucc freshers. With the workload involved these days its hard to blame these fellas for making certain decisions about what teams to play for. It is getting more common now of players getting burnout at an early age.

Sound. Might a keep an eye on the Freshers matches so. As for Burnout, hopefully the WIT lads and Stephen Bennett get thru this week ok!!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Fireball07 wrote: »
    It's madness in the first place having the semi-final and final played on the same weekend; it's bound to decrease the quality of the game. It's hard enough playing in shítty conditions without being wrecked as well. Why not play some of the games before Christmas?

It wasn't that long ago that the entire Fitzgibbon Cup tournament was played off over a single weekend (quarter finals on Friday, semis on Saturday and final on Sunday). The exchanges in some of these games could be pretty vicious, with referees inclined to leave them at it. It was only a matter of luck which players survived to the final on the the Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

Hutchinson gone to St Judes Dublin. Twomey is off to Canada. Cappoquin no idea

Hutchinson a loss to ballygunnar, Philip Mahony will slot into no 6... I hurled with a guy from St Jude's.. Some mad man on the field I hope they aren't all like that up there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

cul beag wrote: »

The Cappoquin situation is some farce.. How they could f*ck it up so quickly is a more stunning achievement then anything they did on the field last year.
    Their best players the Murrays have left (one on senior panel although that panel may not be finalised yet) but the club are trying to block the transfers. Messy
    The other senior clubs will be delighted as they will go straight back down, they spent most of the last 50 years intermediate and that's where they will be staying
    The good hurling men up there would want to make a stand for their club - they will be a laughing stock facing lismore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Hutchinson a loss to ballygunnar, Philip Mahony will slot into no 6... I hurled with a guy from St Jude's.. Some mad man on the field I hope they aren't all like that up there!

They would have plenty of timber on the sidelines in Judes...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,072 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The Offaly match has been moved to sat 7th match

I'd say the Offaly county board done that so that our fitzgibbon cup lads will still be tired, not sure Offaly have any players in the fitz semi finals

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement