Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 sizing europe

Cappoquin 1-08 O Donovan Rossa 2-12

The quinners lack of size and physicality really evident on today's game. Molumpy sent off mid way through the first half but deservedly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Hard luck to Cappoquin, it sounded like that fought hard against a very strong team - one of the most successful teams in Antrim...
    Cappoquin really played this year smart and had the juvenile club players heavily involved in all of their big days, they didn't make Crome park this time round, but you never know the young lads who were present at their games this year and playing at half time may get them there one day

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Desparate news for St Saviours that their club house was burned down over the weekend. And the local youth club was also burned down Friday night as well. Hopefully resources will be made available to this community to ensure these crucial buildings are rebuilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Desparate news for St Saviours that their club house was burned down over the weekend. And the local youth club was also burned down Friday night as well. Hopefully resources will be made available to this community to ensure these crucial buildings are rebuilt.

And catch the fukers who torched both places.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 leerushon

Asked a few of the lads and one particular father roped into driving players down about the County minor football challenge vs WIT. Was supposedly a decent game, minors lacked key players like Conor Prunty, David Looby and John Elsted (all Balinacourty), Darragh Lyons (Dungarvan) but played great in the first half supposedly. Darren McGuckian (Stradbally) played was standout at full back, was the driving force in Stradbally last year when they got to the county minor final. Darragh O' Grady (Brickey Rangers) was tidy at corner back as was his opposite corner back Cormac Dwyer (Balinacourty). Was a rotational match so they had about 30 odd, Dean Kearns (DLS) and Paul Whelan (Brickey Rangers) faired decently as a midfield pairing. Prunty would be a loss but the two were good getting up and down the field, didn't fair greatly under the high ball, but made up for it with moving ball and defensively. Good balls were played into the full forward line from the midfielders and Dylan Guiry, centre forward, (The Nire), Waterford dominated the game for the first half getting 3-4 in 15 odd minutes. Dylan Guiry was a stand out as normal, good few scores. The starting Full Forward for the minors was a standout scored 2-2 but don't know his name unfortunately. Waterford Minor Conor Murray played for WIT and got the majority of there scores, some player. Tim Lenehan made full use of his 30 man squad but the game fell from the minors when they rotated nearly the whole team. However great to see such preparation being done for footballers. 4 years ago I think the minor footballers trained six times before a championship match, things are slowly turning in the football front as a 1/4 of what would be the starting Waterford team blitzed WIT in the first half. The only downside apparently was a lot of the players on the Waterford team not knowing each other's names. This years team from the list of players in my head should be challenging Munster title. If Lenehan emulates the big men partnership in the middle of the field like last year which was Cormac Curran (yes I know, Curran again) and Conor Prunty this year with Paul Whelan and Conor Prunty, two big 6ft 4 men who can win aerial ball, and can move, Waterford football minors could have the best team yet. Was seen last year Curran and Prunty won the kick outs, held possession and released it, very little counties will have people able to match them in aerial ability and kicking. What I'd love to see however is this man who played the first half at full forward and scored 2-2, would expect a college full back to be better than this. This WIT team don't think it'll challenge for anything if they are struggling to match players who are just back into club training a few weeks. Certain things if there played there often will come like winning kick outs which they lacked was down to rustiness I say cause Kearns was sensational at the u16 tournament for kickouts he was leaving the Kerry lads stranded throughout the game and Whelan very seldomly misses clean balls catches.

On club news: Brickey Rangers and Balinacourty included minors playing the first half and under-21's the second, although a few minors played under-21 aswell. Brickey minors dominated the first half, winning the first half in the process, the under-21 second 40minute half saw great play, not great fitness on either side. Brickey's used their height of 6ft 4/5 men around the middle of the park, with Martin and Lar Houlihan sand Paul Whelan winning kick outs. With Maurice Daly and Cormac O' Grady winning the breaking ball. Brickey's deserving winners. Unfortunately there was no Cormac Curran to pluck ball from around the middle of the park, he has senior hurling training. :D hopefully we will have him back in time for the under-21 championship.

I thinks it's time to create a Brickeys Rangers Page separately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Senior hurling and football groups announced tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Under discussion tonight is a proposal to reduce the senior championship from 12 to 10 teams in 2016 - for both Hurling and Football

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

We have to be happy with the group. Between ourselves and Mt.Sion to top the group I would think. Lismore v Cappoquin in the first game will be tasty!!

archieknox wrote: »
    We have to be happy with the group. Between ourselves and Mt.Sion to top the group I would think. Lismore v Cappoquin in the first game will be tasty!!

What are the groups in full

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

What are the groups in full

FMW, Ballygunner, De La Salle, Tallow, Ballyduff Upper, Abbeyside

Mount Sion, Dungarvan, Cappoquin, Lismore, Passage, Roanmore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

FMW, Ballygunner, De La Salle, Tallow, Ballyduff Upper, Abbeyside

Mount Sion, Dungarvan, Cappoquin, Lismore, Passage, Roanmore

Could well be dungarvans year.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

Slobbery wrote: »
    Under discussion tonight is a proposal to reduce the senior championship from 12 to 10 teams in 2016 - for both Hurling and Football

What proposal got voted through tonight?

What proposal got voted through tonight?

Retain the 12 teams, sense prevailed.

Retain the 12 teams, sense prevailed.

So all the rumours of 2 senior teams being relegated are not true, essentially the senior championship will remain the same as the last few years?

So all the rumours of 2 senior teams being relegated are not true, essentially the senior championship will remain the same as the last few years?

Yes, it was voted on and rejected

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

Pity lot of bad teams in Senior in name only a culling of two teams wouldn't go astray.. Some teams love senior status but aren't really.. Looking at it Ballygunner Dungarvan DLS and Sion are competitive the rest are just window dressing..

Brad1234 wrote: »
    Pity lot of bad teams in Senior in name only a culling of two teams wouldn't go astray.. Some teams love senior status but aren't really.. Looking at it Ballygunner Dungarvan DLS and Sion are competitive the rest are just window dressing..

look at any senior club championship across the country and tell me its not the same. Is it not logical to expect that 3/4 clubs will be stronger than a good few of the others? Especially if you take into account the population/ pull of some of the clubs and compare them to some smaller more rural clubs. Theres bound to be some teams more stronger than others, saying otherwise dosent make sense. What would you prefer, a championship of 5 or 6 teams???

In saying all of that then why dont the top 4 teams win it every year?? Passage springs to mind 2 years ago, tallow got to the final in 2011. Of course if you and your attitude got its way then neither of these things would of been alloweed to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

Yes I would like to see a 6-8 team championship played on a league basis and it would be unreal competitive.. Push the crap down to Intermediate make that a county champ and then standards would rise and so on.. Push the bad intermediate teams down to Junior and make a decent county junior championship.. You have teams in Senior its a one year job take hidings from the rest might hold on in a relegation final and do the same the following year. The four I've named and passage as you said deserve it.. Probably FMW due to their consistency of being in and around semis quarters over the last period Ballyduff upper but the rest haven't a snowballs chance in hell of being competitive no mind winning it.. This way every game will be really competitive and we wont have this farce of a championship till end of august where nobody goes to the may games due to the nature of them.. You say passage which was great for other clubs but outside of BG DLS and Sion over last twenty years how many of the other sides have got a run at it.. Ballyduff in 07 springs to mind but im sure someone else will point it out to me..

It means hurling in Waterford will get stronger as teams play to their level.. One team up and one team down in each division will mean teams are prepared to go up and teams going down be a good scalp..

Not doing it to troll people or clubs but all these clubs would have been delighted to keep 12 sides in senior to say 'we're a senior side but in reality a lot of them are decent intermediate teams.

Realistically you're right. The league section will produce alot of shadow boxing by the big 4,the rest will scramble to make sure that they're not relegated firstly,and then hope to make a q/final maybe even a s/final and it will go down as a successful year for them. Reduce it to 10 teams and automatically the standard will rise as there's alot more at stake but this format was never going to be introduced,it would be like turkeys voting for Xmas! Tell me if i am wrong here but,barring a catastrophe the 4 semi finalists will be Ballygunner,Mt.Sion,DLS and Dungarvan. Outside of that the only game i am looking forward to is Cappoquin v Lismore as both will see it as a chance of getting 2pts on the board and a huge chance to stay up. Have to give Cappoquin a huge chance in this one the way things are in Lismore at the moment.
    We have a tricky opener against Passage and it won't be at all easy but i would be hopeful we'll come out on top. Barring that and the Mt Sion game we have nothing to fear from the other 3 games.

6-8 teams isn't a championship to me, and I'm not sure that these teams are going to flourish at intermediate level and come back stronger.

One very simple way of making it immediately more competitive, have the top 2 teams go straight to semi finals and 2nd and 3rd in each group go to quarters. Mount Sion lost their first 3 games in a row in 2012 and still made the semi final (and fairplay to them but...). That I think is the main issue that some teams aren't at their best the whole way through. Ballygunner were an exception to that this year. But 4 teams being capable.of winning a competition is actually quite competitive.

• Advertisement

Realistically you're right. The league section will produce alot of shadow boxing by the big 4,the rest will scramble to make sure that they're not relegated firstly,and then hope to make a q/final maybe even a s/final and it will go down as a successful year for them. Reduce it to 10 teams and automatically the standard will rise as there's alot more at stake but this format was never going to be introduced,it would be like turkeys voting for Xmas! Tell me if i am wrong here but,barring a catastrophe the 4 semi finalists will be Ballygunner,Mt.Sion,DLS and Dungarvan. Outside of that the only game i am looking forward to is Cappoquin v Lismore as both will see it as a chance of getting 2pts on the board and a huge chance to stay up. Have to give Cappoquin a huge chance in this one the way things are in Lismore at the moment.
    We have a tricky opener against Passage and it won't be at all easy but i would be hopeful we'll come out on top. Barring that and the Mt Sion game we have nothing to fear from the other 3 games.

Hmm...just because those were the semi finalists last year does not mean it would be impossible for one of them not to make it this year. I would be pretty confident last year was the first year ever those 4 teams were all in the semi finals.

You need to get over Dungarvan a little bit by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Ye talk about ballygunner, dls, dungarvan and sion being a foregone conclusion but where is the evidence to back it up? Before mount sion got to a final this year they were hopeless for a good few years only barely escaped relegation against Ardmore a couple years back. De la salle have underachieved badly the past 2 seasons and Dungarvan haven't really done anything since coming up senior bar getting to one co. final where they were hammered out the gate the same day. There seems to be an arrogance amongst some of the bigger clubs that the lower ranked senior teams are miles behind them it may look like it on paper but the facts haven't backed this up. Waterford hurling needs as many senior teams as possible and at a time when intermediate hurling is starting to get stronger particularly in the west it would have made no sense to cut back the number of teams now.

What might freshen it up would be maybe just the top 3 in each group to qualify. The 2 group winners going direct into the semis and have just 2 quarter finals between 2nd and 3rd in each group. Then have 4 teams, the bottom 2 in each group play off to avoid relegation. This would make the group stages way more competitive and open. To say that there are 2 many senior teams is nonsense. Its the structure that needs tweaking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

One very simple way of making it immediately more competitive, have the top 2 teams go straight to semi finals and 2nd and 3rd in each group go to quarters. Mount Sion lost their first 3 games in a row in 2012 and still made the semi final (and fairplay to them but...). That I think is the main issue that some teams aren't at their best the whole way through. Ballygunner were an exception to that this year. But 4 teams being capable.of winning a competition is actually quite competitive.

Great minds think alike ;-)

Ye talk about ballygunner, dls, dungarvan and sion being a foregone conclusion but where is the evidence to back it up? Before mount sion got to a final this year they were hopeless for a good few years only barely escaped relegation against Ardmore a couple years back. De la salle have underachieved badly the past 2 seasons and Dungarvan haven't really done anything since coming up senior bar getting to one co. final where they were hammered out the gate the same day. There seems to be an arrogance amongst some of the bigger clubs that the lower ranked senior teams are miles behind them it may look like it on paper but the facts haven't backed this up. Waterford hurling needs as many senior teams as possible and at a time when intermediate hurling is starting to get stronger particularly in the west it would have made no sense to cut back the number of teams now.

What might freshen it up would be maybe just the top 3 in each group to qualify. The 2 group winners going direct into the semis and have just 2 quarter finals between 2nd and 3rd in each group. Then have 4 teams, the bottom 2 in each group play off to avoid relegation. This would make the group stages way more competitive and open. To say that there are 2 many senior teams is nonsense. Its the structure that needs tweaking

Couldnt agree more with this post. The arrogance of some of the lads on here amazes me, you would swear dungarvan was a hot bed of Waterford hurling going on archieknox's comments. In reality they have only been a senior club a couple of years, other lads then saying the senior championship should be reduced to 6 teams. What a load of nonsense.

I keep up to date with every club championship across the country and let me tell ye the Waterford championship is just as if not more competitive than other counties. Way more competitive than the cork or tipp championship for a fact! If lads here had they're way it would be 4 city clubs plus dungarvan on the championship. Nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Sliabh gCua1

A bit harsh, but I would be in favour of cutting numbers myself to maybe 8 in both hurling and football.

Hmm...just because those were the semi finalists last year does not mean it would be impossible for one of them not to make it this year. I would be pretty confident last year was the first year ever those 4 teams were all in the semi finals.

You need to get over Dungarvan a little bit by the way.

I simply express my opinions on here mountainlad i am not like other posters that hide behind pseudo names and not have the balls to come forward and not be ashamed of their clubs and speak favourably about them. Brickeyvalley gets slated on here but at least he has the guts to pin his colours to the mast. Cornerstoner is the same. What are ye all hiding for? I will live by my posts on here whether proven right or wrong. Sizing Europe has a pop at me for posting alleged lies but yet he hasn't come forward with the so called truth? He can't and that is the real truth! I know i am putting myself up there to be ridiculed if what i have predicted fails but so what?
    Can anyone predict 4 other teams that will win the championship in their opinion?
    ...................Sizing Europe i am still waiting but i would imagine if you hold off long enough it will be all solved and then you will have your say!! Come on the old boro!!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Sliabh gCua1

Over the past few years if memory serves me right, if you allowed only the top 3 teams advance to the knockout stages of the championship, the three places would be grabbed before the last round of games and maybe even after three rounds of games. At least with 4 teams from each group advancing, at least you have some little bit of competition for the last place in the group when it comes to the fifth round of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 cookey123

in regards the culling of the number of senior teams I would personally be against it as you would have fewer players playing at a high standard. I see peoples points in regards competitiveness but the perceived weaker senior teams players will develop better playing against the stronger teams not playing against intermediate teams who they may be more comfortably, as a player you learn more in defeat then in victory often so how would sending 30 odd players to play at a lower grade be of benefit to the development of hurlers.

In regards the structure would looking a model where the league and championship are amalgamated to make for more competitive games for teams be an idea, have your 2 groups of 6 run off on a league basis between april and august, the top 2 teams in each group are auto in the quarters with the remaining with bottom 4 teams from each group playing the against eachother on a seeded basis to decide the remaining 4 quarter finalists.
    The losing 4 then play a relegation semi and final, resulting in more competitive games and every game having a value and an increased number of competitive games for all teams

I simply express my opinions on here mountainlad i am not like other posters that hide behind pseudo names and not have the balls to come forward and not be ashamed of their clubs and speak favourably about them. Brickeyvalley gets slated on here but at least he has the guts to pin his colours to the mast. Cornerstoner is the same. What are ye all hiding for? I will live by my posts on here whether proven right or wrong. Sizing Europe has a pop at me for posting alleged lies but yet he hasn't come forward with the so called truth? He can't and that is the real truth! I know i am putting myself up there to be ridiculed if what i have predicted fails but so what?
    Can anyone predict 4 other teams that will win the championship in their opinion?
    ...................Sizing Europe i am still waiting but i would imagine if you hold off long enough it will be all solved and then you will have your say!! Come on the old boro!!

You are aware that this is an anonymous forum whereby everyone who posts "hides under a pseudo name" right ?? So excuse me if I don't "have the balls" to reveal what club I am from, but i prefer a more subtle posting technique!!
    God you must "great balls" coming on here talking up dungarvan, fair play to you!!

• Advertisement

After you've gotten over Dungarvan, then get over yourself.

Feel free to talk about Dungarvan as appropriate, but there is no evidence to support the claim that they are untouchable and that it would take a catastrophe, as you put it, for them to not make the semis next year. Sure who gave Passage a chance?

All I know is if you reduce the number of teams from 8 to 12 by definition you've less teams capable of winning it, so a less competitive championship. I would wonder, as was pointed out, would Dungarvan be in favour of this circa 2008/2009 when they were still intermediate? I doubt it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement