Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

Clashmore have totally got out of jail there. Don't know how they managed to pull that one off not like their a traditional hurling powerhouse or anything.

Id say Timmy knows how :D.
    What are the odds on no team relegated this year? Whole thing a farce.
    Why didn't Abbeyside stay up so or why weren't St Marys, Colligan or Geraldines moved up. As much entitlement as Clashmore to play Intermediate. Now I have nothing against Clashmore, a fine club in fairness but the way it has been dealt with ...embarrassing one for the Western Board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

When is the first round of the Junior championship do you know, Cornerstoner?

And is there an A and B or just and one Junior competition? Have they done away with the Junior (Intermediate attached) teams altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Congrats on your win Sunday

Delighted for genuine grass roots die hard fans like yourself

Said do this for you
    Teams

Waterford 1-9 cork 0-11
    Munster senior football semi final lismore
    Waterford team

Dinny corcoran
    Mark dingley
    Michael prendergsst
    Jim power
    Tommy power
    Michael connolly
    Tomas o riordain
    Montgomery guiry
    Jj Hewitt 0-2
    Michael kirwain
    Paddy sweeney 0-3
    Justin spratt
    Martin Kennedy 0-1
    Tom Mcgrath 0-2
    Tom kirwain 1-1

Cork
    Liam power
    Donal hurley
    Con o sullivan
    Anthony sullivan
    Paul o sullivan
    Eric Ryan
    John o mahony
    Niall Fitzgerald
    Brian Studdart
    George white
    Eugene maccarthy
    Vinnie Barrett
    Sean Murphy
    Joe o sullivan
    Hugo casey
    Subs

Timmy o callaghan for Brian Studdart
    Harry de long for George white

Referee
    D o connell tippereary

Man of the match was meant be Michael prendergast at full back according to reports
    Nice bit of continuity from 1960 to the present day in the fact that Michael Prendergast's grandson played in the Match last week at midfield - Tommy Prendergast, his brother Stephen also on the panel- their dad Tom would also have played for the county as well back in the 1980's. What's it they say- "an ounce of breeding is worth a tonne of feeding!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Congrats on your win Sunday

Delighted for genuine grass roots die hard fans like yourself

Said do this for you
    Teams

Waterford 1-9 cork 0-11
    Munster senior football semi final lismore
    Waterford team

Dinny corcoran
    Mark dingley
    Michael prendergsst
    Jim power
    Tommy power
    Michael connolly
    Tomas o riordain
    Montgomery guiry
    Jj Hewitt 0-2
    Michael kirwain
    Paddy sweeney 0-3
    Justin spratt
    Martin Kennedy 0-1
    Tom Mcgrath 0-2
    Tom kirwain 1-1

Cork
    Liam power
    Donal hurley
    Con o sullivan
    Anthony sullivan
    Paul o sullivan
    Eric Ryan
    John o mahony
    Niall Fitzgerald
    Brian Studdart
    George white
    Eugene maccarthy
    Vinnie Barrett
    Sean Murphy
    Joe o sullivan
    Hugo casey
    Subs

Timmy o callaghan for Brian Studdart
    Harry de long for George white

Referee
    D o connell tippereary

Man of the match was meant be Michael prendergast at full back according to reports

Cork team was munster senior football champions in 1956 and 1957 but only Liam power from 1957, had munster senior medal and Eric Ryan and niall Fitzgerald who had two medal from 1956 and 1957.

I hope ye beat ucc Saturday be good for Waterford football and ye need win more but billy Morgan doesn't do sentiment In football

Many thanks for the above info.

Just looking at the Waterford team, there are many well known footballing surnames there.

Just wondering Is Michael Prendergast from Kilrossanty and Jim Power the well known Jimineen Power from the same club?

Montgomery Guiry is the great Monty from Kill who also played for Munster for about four or five years. Brilliant, never knew where the name Monty came from. What a moniker.

I presume the Kirwans are the of the same dynasty that later produced Vinny of the now infamous - on here at least- John Mitchell's.

Just wondering is the Michael Connolly the one and the same Mick Connolly who hurled for Fourmilewater back in the day. A great sticksman also if it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Jarjohn wrote: »
    Id say Timmy knows how :D.
    What are the odds on no team relegated this year? Whole thing a farce.
    Why didn't Abbeyside stay up so or why weren't St Marys, Colligan or Geraldines moved up. As much entitlement as Clashmore to play Intermediate. Now I have nothing against Clashmore, a fine club in fairness but the way it has been dealt with ...embarrassing one for the Western Board.

Look the whole thing needed to be rejigged and in fairness they have got it pretty right this time. Bar Clashmore who should have had to go down and abbeyside should have stayed up in their place. Has there been any reason given as to why they were allowed to stay up?

• Advertisement

Alf Tupper wrote: »
    Many thanks for the above info.

Just looking at the Waterford team, there are many well known footballing surnames there.

Just wondering Is Michael Prendergast from Kilrossanty and Jim Power the well known Jimineen Power from the same club?

Montgomery Guiry is the great Monty from Kill who also played for Munster for about four or five years. Brilliant, never knew where the name Monty came from. What a moniker.

I presume the Kirwans are the of the same dynasty that later produced Vinny of the now infamous - on here at least- John Mitchell's.

Just wondering is the Michael Connolly the one and the same Mick Connolly who hurled for Fourmilewater back in the day. A great sticksman also if it is.

http://alltheyoungblues.ie/2015/01/20/the-vault-1-roving-waterord-half-forwards-main-danger-to-the-kerry-posts/

Match report from 1960 here and a team photo that answers some of your questions. Hadn't heard of this website before - all the young Blues - two thumbs up to whoever dug this up!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

When is the first round of the Junior championship do you know, Cornerstoner?

And is there an A and B or just and one Junior competition? Have they done away with the Junior (Intermediate attached) teams altogether?

I'm not sure as it says dates and venues TBC. Going on previous years Id say end of April same as intermediate. No they havnt. That's still there with the second string teams of intermediate and junior teams plus cappoquins 2nd string as they wouldn't be strong enough for Junior A as its now called.
    Stumbling block abbey side were always to be relegated. There was a vote this time last year and the outcome was that 2 teams be relegated from intermediate because there wernt enough teams in junior and also too many teams in intermediate. You can just sweep clashmore under the rug just cause the structure has changed. They could have changed structure including clashmore in it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

Slobbery wrote: »
    What is mcglincheys history? Previous experience etc?

He managed Tipp a few years back if memory serves me right. Think he done an ok job with what was at his disposal.

He was over Cahir this year and they made the county final which was a pretty huge achievement given the talent at his disposal. I think he could suit a team like Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

He managed Tipp a few years back if memory serves me right. Think he done an ok job with what was at his disposal.

He was over Cahir this year and they made the county final which was a pretty huge achievement given the talent at his disposal. I think he could suit a team like Waterford.

Took on limited resources team in past so he's not glory hunter nut real gaa man believes work ethic spirt etc cohesion

Was charge tipp thar drew cork munster final eleven or so year ago but lost replay but Tipp should won munster final as cork played extra player

He charge limerick minors and under twenty one also limerick under twenty ones ran cork close

Played clyds rovers cork so he knows essence of sum of parts is greater significant in a team that individual values

He will do good with Waterford as much can be expected

• Registered Users Posts: 48 brickeyvalley

Under-21 Football Match tonight, Bricfkey Rangers vs Balinacourty throw in @bushypark @7:30. Interesting to see how it'll fair, both had players involved with the Waterford minor footballers during the week, will be a good encounter if anyone wants something to do tonight. Under 90's free entry. :D

Also, does anyone know how the county minor footballers faired during the week?

• Advertisement

Under-21 Football Match tonight, Brickey Rangers vs Balinacourty throw in @bushypark @7:30. Interesting to see how it'll fair, both had players involved with the Waterford minor footballers during the week, will be a good encounter if anyone wants something to do tonight. Under 90's free entry. :D

Also, does anyone know how the county minor footballers faired during the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcork blue

Does anyone know if the hurlers are playing this weekend?

If yes when and where please.

UCC (Cork clubs unless stated): M Martin (Nemo Rangers); J Davis (Douglas), J McGuire (Listowel Emmets, Kerry), D Culhane (Ballylongford, Kerry); C Dorman (Bishopstown), S White (Clonakilty), T Clancy (Fermoy); I Maguire (St Finbarr’s), G O’Sullivan (Listry, Kerry); S Keane (Legion, Kerry), L Connolly (Nemo Rangers), É Ó Conchúir (An Ghaeltacht, Kerry); T Hickey (Castleisland Desmonds, Kerry), C Cox (Listowel Emmets, Kerry), D Harrington (Adrigole).

Subs: P McCarthy (Rathmore, Kerry), P O’Connor (Legion, Kerry), F McNamara (Austin Stacks, Kerry), B O’Driscoll (Tadhg Mac Cárthaigh), P Geaney (Dingle, Kerry), S Kiely (Ballincollig), C Horgan (Nemo Rangers), A Spillane (Templenoe, Kerry), E Dennehy (St Finbarr’s), K O’Sullivan (Kenmare Shamrocks, Kerry), K Histon (Cobh), A O’Donovan (Nemo Rangers), R Murphy (Beaufort, Kerry), K Davis (O’Donovan Rossa), P Scanlon (Glin, Kerry), F Courtney (Beaufort, Kerry), K Fulignati (Nemo Rangers), F O’Connor (Knocknagree), C Hyde (Naomh Aban), K Hayes Curtin (Douglas), P Shanahan (Carbery Rangers), S Power (Clonmel Commercials, Tipperary), P Looram (Clonmel Com

Strong team ucc names for Mcgrath cup final

Christ above what's subs bench

Bod. Geaney , horgan, kiely, Histon, Spillane

Talk about game changers

How do people see this going????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Any reason why Geaney would be on the bench, is he only just back?

Waterford should compete well at the very least. I don't think there is any favourites tag pressure in a game like this, think they'll be looking forward to it if anything and enjoying their football with 3 wins on the bounce and just after beating Cork. Plenty of good footballers there, the O'Gorman twins, Shane Ahearne, Tommy Prendergast, Liam Lawlor and Podge Hurney and the exciting young talent there such as Gavin Nugent, Ray O Ceallaigh and Michael O Halloran. In my mind the outstanding young footballer in Waterford for the last couple of years has been Paul Whyte and he actually missed the game against Cork which is an even further positive endorsement of the performance. Would imagine it's unlikely he'd be available this weekend.

UCC have a game against CIT on Tuesday for the start of the Sigerson so it's quite conceivable Morgan will have one eye on that. I'll go for a narrow Waterford win.

Any reason why Geaney would be on the bench, is he only just back?

Waterford should compete well at the very least. I don't think there is any favourites tag pressure in a game like this, think they'll be looking forward to it if anything and enjoying their football with 3 wins on the bounce and just after beating Cork. Plenty of good footballers there, the O'Gorman twins, Shane Ahearne, Tommy Prendergast, Liam Lawlor and Podge Hurney and the exciting young talent there such as Gavin Nugent, Ray O Ceallaigh and Michael O Halloran. In my mind the outstanding young footballer in Waterford for the last couple of years has been Paul Whyte and he actually missed the game against Cork which is an even further positive endorsement of the performance. Would imagine it's unlikely he'd be available this weekend.

UCC have a game against CIT on Tuesday for the start of the Sigerson so it's quite conceivable Morgan will have one eye on that. I'll go for a narrow Waterford win.

Saw white with ul once he's awesome

Hard know as that ucc team don't be shocked could change before throw in

Asked a few of the lads and one particular father roped into driving players down about the County minor football challenge vs WIT. Was supposedly a decent game, minors lacked key players like Conor Prunty, David Looby and John Elsted (all Balinacourty), Darragh Lyons (Dungarvan) but played great in the first half supposedly. Darren McGuckian (Stradbally) played was standout at full back, was the driving force in Stradbally last year when they got to the county minor final. Darragh O' Grady (Brickey Rangers) was tidy at corner back as was his opposite corner back Cormac Dwyer (Balinacourty). Was a rotational match so they had about 30 odd, Dean Kearns (DLS) and Paul Whelan (Brickey Rangers) faired decently as a midfield pairing. Prunty would be a loss but the two were good getting up and down the field, didn't fair greatly under the high ball, but made up for it with moving ball and defensively. Good balls were played into the full forward line from the midfielders and Dylan Guiry, centre forward, (The Nire), Waterford dominated the game for the first half getting 3-4 in 15 odd minutes. Dylan Guiry was a stand out as normal, good few scores. The starting Full Forward for the minors was a standout scored 2-2 but don't know his name unfortunately. Waterford Minor Conor Murray played for WIT and got the majority of there scores, some player. Tim Lenehan made full use of his 30 man squad but the game fell from the minors when they rotated nearly the whole team. However great to see such preparation being done for footballers. 4 years ago I think the minor footballers trained six times before a championship match, things are slowly turning in the football front as a 1/4 of what would be the starting Waterford team blitzed WIT in the first half. The only downside apparently was a lot of the players on the Waterford team not knowing each other's names. This years team from the list of players in my head should be challenging Munster title. If Lenehan emulates the big men partnership in the middle of the field like last year which was Cormac Curran (yes I know, Curran again) and Conor Prunty this year with Paul Whelan and Conor Prunty, two big 6ft 4 men who can win aerial ball, and can move, Waterford football minors could have the best team yet. Was seen last year Curran and Prunty won the kick outs, held possession and released it, very little counties will have people able to match them in aerial ability and kicking. What I'd love to see however is this man who played the first half at full forward and scored 2-2, would expect a college full back to be better than this. This WIT team don't think it'll challenge for anything if they are struggling to match players who are just back into club training a few weeks. Certain things if there played there often will come like winning kick outs which they lacked was down to rustiness I say cause Kearns was sensational at the u16 tournament for kickouts he was leaving the Kerry lads stranded throughout the game and Whelan very seldomly misses clean balls catches.

On club news: Brickey Rangers and Balinacourty included minors playing the first half and under-21's the second, although a few minors played under-21 aswell. Brickey minors dominated the first half, winning the first half in the process, the under-21 second 40minute half saw great play, not great fitness on either side. Brickey's used their height of 6ft 4/5 men around the middle of the park, with Martin and Lar Houlihan sand Paul Whelan winning kick outs. With Maurice Daly and Cormac O' Grady winning the breaking ball. Brickey's deserving winners. Unfortunately there was no Cormac Curran to pluck ball from around the middle of the park, he has senior hurling training. :D hopefully we will have him back in time for the under-21 championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Asked a few of the lads and one particular father roped into driving players down about the County minor football challenge vs WIT. Was supposedly a decent game, minors lacked key players like Conor Prunty, David Looby and John Elsted (all Balinacourty), Darragh Lyons (Dungarvan) but played great in the first half supposedly. Darren McGuckian (Stradbally) played was standout at full back, was the driving force in Stradbally last year when they got to the county minor final. Darragh O' Grady (Brickey Rangers) was tidy at corner back as was his opposite corner back Cormac Dwyer (Balinacourty). Was a rotational match so they had about 30 odd, Dean Kearns (DLS) and Paul Whelan (Brickey Rangers) faired decently as a midfield pairing. Prunty would be a loss but the two were good getting up and down the field, didn't fair greatly under the high ball, but made up for it with moving ball and defensively. Good balls were played into the full forward line from the midfielders and Dylan Guiry, centre forward, (The Nire), Waterford dominated the game for the first half getting 3-4 in 15 odd minutes. Dylan Guiry was a stand out as normal, good few scores. The starting Full Forward for the minors was a standout scored 2-2 but don't know his name unfortunately. Waterford Minor Conor Murray played for WIT and got the majority of there scores, some player. Tim Lenehan made full use of his 30 man squad but the game fell from the minors when they rotated nearly the whole team. However great to see such preparation being done for footballers. 4 years ago I think the minor footballers trained six times before a championship match, things are slowly turning in the football front as a 1/4 of what would be the starting Waterford team blitzed WIT in the first half. The only downside apparently was a lot of the players on the Waterford team not knowing each other's names. This years team from the list of players in my head should be challenging Munster title. If Lenehan emulates the big men partnership in the middle of the field like last year which was Cormac Curran (yes I know, Curran again) and Conor Prunty this year with Paul Whelan and Conor Prunty, two big 6ft 4 men who can win aerial ball, and can move, Waterford football minors could have the best team yet. Was seen last year Curran and Prunty won the kick outs, held possession and released it, very little counties will have people able to match them in aerial ability and kicking. What I'd love to see however is this man who played the first half at full forward and scored 2-2, would expect a college full back to be better than this. This WIT team don't think it'll challenge for anything if they are struggling to match players who are just back into club training a few weeks. Certain things if there played there often will come like winning kick outs which they lacked was down to rustiness I say cause Kearns was sensational at the u16 tournament for kickouts he was leaving the Kerry lads stranded throughout the game and Whelan very seldomly misses clean balls catches.

On club news: Brickey Rangers and Balinacourty included minors playing the first half and under-21's the second, although a few minors played under-21 aswell. Brickey minors dominated the first half, winning the first half in the process, the under-21 second 40minute half saw great play, not great fitness on either side. Brickey's used their height of 6ft 4/5 men around the middle of the park, with Martin and Lar Houlihan sand Paul Whelan winning kick outs. With Maurice Daly and Cormac O' Grady winning the breaking ball. Brickey's deserving winners. Unfortunately there was no Cormac Curran to pluck ball from around the middle of the park, he has senior hurling training. :D hopefully we will have him back in time for the under-21 championship.

Thanks for the minor football updates, it's great to see they have a set up that's give it a fair go, no reason why we can't be competitive in munster...It's turning that way hopefully over the next few years.

Very little talk regards Waterford biggest football game in while
    How do people see tonight going

Kevin how do you see game going???,

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

Who's trainung Modeligo and clashmore?

Is Pa Kearney gone from Modeligo?

Is Pa Kearney gone from Modeligo?

Yes to Erin's Own in Cork. Due to work commitments couldn't commit to Modeligo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭deisedude

Saviours clubhouse burnt to the ground last night. Sickening that some lowlife would do that. All the best to the club

• Registered Users Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭deisedude

Saviours clubhouse burnt to the ground last night. Sickening that some lowlife would do that. All the best to the club

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Hurlers playing Tipp next Friday night in Fraher Field.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

deisedude wrote: »

Passed there earlier,what a sickening sight. You would have to feel for the club because it was a first class facility that provided so much opportunities for their community. Hope they get the perpetrators and deal with them accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

Yes to Erin's Own in Cork. Due to work commitments couldn't commit to Modeligo

Good opportunity for him. Cork championship is way more open than ours.

Strange fact that Modeligo and Cappoquin both win their respective Munster championships and both lose their trainers.
    Who's taking over both those anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Deise189

Waterford 2-6 UCC 1-7 at halftime

3-12 to 1-9, waterford winners of McGrath cup. Hopefully the start of a new chapter in waterford football, as has been said many times the talent is there it's just a matter of putting the right structures in place to facilitate it

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

3-12 to 1-9, waterford winners of McGrath cup. Hopefully the start of a new chapter in waterford football, as has been said many times the talent is there it's just a matter of putting the right structures in place to facilitate it

Best of luck to the cornerstone men tomorrow. Make it a terrific weekend for Waterford GAA. Heard ye have a Midleton man lined up for this year best of luck with him aswell he's a good addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭N20

cul beag wrote: »
    Passed there earlier,what a sickening sight. You would have to feel for the club because it was a first class facility that provided so much opportunities for their community. Hope they get the perpetrators and deal with them accordingly.

Unbelievable, desperate news for a club and community

Was there twice before for Tony Forestal and treated very well by club

I hope GAA gets behind them and helps them regroup

• Advertisement

Well that was an enjoyable evening in a cold Fraher Field. Hadn't seen the footballers in a while, Shane Aherne is some man to catch a ball, was very impressed with him, Liam Lawlor another who played very well, nice to see a Waterford Captain speak after lifting a bit of silverware, hope they can do well now and try and do well in division 4.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement