Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Deise189

Waterford 8 Cork 7.. great result for the footballers!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Well done to the footballers. Fantastic result.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 logbox

Is there still football played in Waterford? Didn't that mighty man from the West, Magoo, propose that every football in the county be punctured? He wasn't far wrong.

Great display today by the Footballers .Ye may forget about punchering the footballs now after this performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 brickeyvalley

Been saying it all along potiental to be a good football county. Footballers in the McGrath final, hurlers out of it til the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Been saying it all along potiental to be a good football county. Footballers in the McGrath final, hurlers out of it til the league.

Get Cormac Curran on that football panel asap. Hurling is a waste of his talent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

#waterfordforsam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Unbelievable achievement for the footballers to win the All Ireland today...
    Unfortunately it's not all good as Cork footballers are making a move to poach Cormac Curran now to solve their problems... But only if Munster Rugby don't get there first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    From what evidence is he the best full back in the Co.? Played one time there in an u21 game in 2013

I've been watching him play since he was a kid he's an outstanding fullback. He has played there at club Colleges and county level. His most natural position is in the half backline but I do beleive hes our best option at fullback this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 culbaire666

Any sign of Stephen Daniels returning to the team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

McGrath cup final 2015, Waterford v UCC, Saturday Jan 24th, 6pm, Fraher Field Dungarvan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

McGrath cup final 2015, Waterford v UCC, Saturday Jan 24th, 6pm, Fraher Field Dungarvan.

Is it being televised?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DLS2THECORE

Anyone have thw full list of transfers that took place in Waterford? I believe they were printed in the News & Star but don't have access to get a copy unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Hurling man

Lads wat chance have Cappoquin this weekend I hear they are down a few players with injuries. Aaron o Sullivan not right yet and Finan murray a major doubt surely if that's true they will be up against it

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Waterford last beat Cork in a competitive senior football game in the 1960 Munster championship in Lismore. Waterford won by 1-9 to 0-11, the goal coming from a penalty after the Cork goalie fielded a high ball into the goalmouth and was then adjudged to have thrown the ball out of the square under pressure from the Waterford forwards.

It was almost a red-letter day for Waterford football as the minors drew with Cork 2-4 to 1-7 (they lost the replay). Waterford wore the jerseys of reigning minor football champions Abbeyside as the county board didn't have a second set of county jerseys. Abbeyside had beaten Tramore in the 1959 minor final by a single point to no score, surely the lowest ever score in a Gaelic football game.

I travelled to those games by train. How times have changed!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,916 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

for the footballers to gain promotion from division 4 and to beat Clare (away) in the championship and give Kerry a good game in Dungarvan in the semi final and maybe win a few all ireland qualifers it would be a fantastic year

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Just as a matter of interest and now that ye have come down of yer morally high ground over transfers in the county,i was wondering where ye all stand on outside trainers within your club? Is it ok to pay an outsider but god forbid if you lose a player to another club?. I got verbally attacked recently by a fellow clubman of our trainer about what cheek we had of taking him to try and win a county for us but yet that same club this year is supplying trainers to 3 different teams inside and outside the county! Double standards?? Comical to think they had a clubman of there own lined up to take on their senior team but the minute modeligo and"expenses" came into the picture he jumps ship!! Another one of them training clashmore and another one training a senior team in Limerick!! Honestly, i have never seen anything like it where they can't get anyone from within their own club to take the manager's job but they can supply coaches to other clubs for expenses! Personally i am not complaining as our man has/will bring us to another level with his professional approach but how all these fellas are allowed to do this is beyond me!!

archieknox wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest and now that ye have come down of yer morally high ground over transfers in the county,i was wondering where ye all stand on outside trainers within your club? Is it ok to pay an outsider but god forbid if you lose a player to another club?. I got verbally attacked recently by a fellow clubman of our trainer about what cheek we had of taking him to try and win a county for us but yet that same club this year is supplying trainers to 3 different teams inside and outside the county! Double standards?? Comical to think they had a clubman of there own lined up to take on their senior team but the minute modeligo and"expenses" came into the picture he jumps ship!! Another one of them training clashmore and another one training a senior team in Limerick!! Honestly, i have never seen anything like it where they can't get anyone from within their own club to take the manager's job but they can supply coaches to other clubs for expenses! Personally i am not complaining as our man has/will bring us to another level with his professional approach but how all these fellas are allowed to do this is beyond me!!

I think it is a blight on the game nationwide at club level that guys are taking money to coach teams and leaving their own club in the lurch.
    Underage teams are also suffering as guys who would make great coaches for young players are going elsewhere for the cash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

PTH2009 wrote: »
    for the footballers to gain promotion from division 4 and to beat Clare (away) in the championship and give Kerry a good game in Dungarvan in the semi final and maybe win a few all ireland qualifers it would be a fantastic year

It's Tipp in the championship. Would be a lot to achieve in one year but good start anyway.

Archie, we've had the club debate before. Lismore can't throw stones with respect to bringing in Tomás Mulcahy and blaming other teams like DLS in 2013 for them not making quarter finals etc. Dungarvan aren't infallible either but at the end of the day you can nitpick over different things that go on in any club, but having a debate on here is petty and far from constructive, achieving absolutely nothing.

A club should not be tainted by individuals choosing for their own benefit to manage teams. It's no reflection on Lismore where members choose to go and offer their coaching services. The decision is the business of the individuals alone and they are more than entitled to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

archieknox wrote: »

Who's trainung Modeligo and clashmore?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Waterford last beat Cork in a competitive senior football game in the 1960 Munster championship in Lismore. Waterford won by 1-9 to 0-11, the goal coming from a penalty after the Cork goalie fielded a high ball into the goalmouth and was then adjudged to have thrown the ball out of the square under pressure from the Waterford forwards.

It was almost a red-letter day for Waterford football as the minors drew with Cork 2-4 to 1-7 (they lost the replay). Waterford wore the jerseys of reigning minor football champions Abbeyside as the county board didn't have a second set of county jerseys. Abbeyside had beaten Tramore in the 1959 minor final by a single point to no score, surely the lowest ever score in a Gaelic football game.

I travelled to those games by train. How times have changed!

Congrats on your win Sunday

Delighted for genuine grass roots die hard fans like yourself

Said do this for you
    Teams

Waterford 1-9 cork 0-11
    Munster senior football semi final lismore
    Waterford team

Dinny corcoran
    Mark dingley
    Michael prendergsst
    Jim power
    Tommy power
    Michael connolly
    Tomas o riordain
    Montgomery guiry
    Jj Hewitt 0-2
    Michael kirwain
    Paddy sweeney 0-3
    Justin spratt
    Martin Kennedy 0-1
    Tom Mcgrath 0-2
    Tom kirwain 1-1

Cork
    Liam power
    Donal hurley
    Con o sullivan
    Anthony sullivan
    Paul o sullivan
    Eric Ryan
    John o mahony
    Niall Fitzgerald
    Brian Studdart
    George white
    Eugene maccarthy
    Vinnie Barrett
    Sean Murphy
    Joe o sullivan
    Hugo casey
    Subs

Timmy o callaghan for Brian Studdart
    Harry de long for George white

Referee
    D o connell tippereary

Man of the match was meant be Michael prendergast at full back according to reports

Cork team was munster senior football champions in 1956 and 1957 but only Liam power from 1957, had munster senior medal and Eric Ryan and niall Fitzgerald who had two medal from 1956 and 1957.

I hope ye beat ucc Saturday be good for Waterford football and ye need win more but billy Morgan doesn't do sentiment In football

• Advertisement

Who's trainung Modeligo and clashmore?

Seen as you were fast enough to correct me Sunday on cork thread for just saying most though cork would win, seen as your true expert Waterford football you won't mind me asking you and Kevin here also please for year views on Waterford v ucc game football wise and how ye think the game will pan out Saturday and will ye win
    I'm sorry now for asking in advance game but it's easy be wise after

Thanks in advance

Seen as you were fast enough to correct me Sunday on cork thread for just saying most though cork would win, seen as your true expert Waterford football you won't mind me asking you and Kevin here also please for year views on Waterford v ucc game football wise and how ye think the game will pan out Saturday and will ye win
    I'm sorry now for asking in advance game but it's easy be wise after

Thanks in advance

I commented on your tone towards waterford which other posters agreed was inappropriate. Didn't care who you thought would win

I commented on your tone towards waterford which other posters agreed was inappropriate. Didn't care who you thought would win

Now now your so fast to criticise you do better

Bit no surprise you either haven't knowledge regards Waterford football or you just rather sit fence snipe others that as it was pointed out by many and sure many here felt my view before cork game.,, that cork huge favourite

My arrogance was never there be fair you just perceived it be
    Wasn't arrogance but confidence I expected cork with six more all Ireland medal winner senior and under age munster winners to beat Waterford
    Difference between arrogance and confident

I leave it there I think I have made my point

Best luck Saturday in game if I'm going I'll shout for Waterford with cork man in charge

Bit no surprise you either haven't knowledge regards Waterford football or you just rather sit fence snipe others that as it was pointed out by many and sure many here felt my view before cork game.,, that cork huge favourite

Wasn't arrogance but confidence I expected cork with six more all Ireland medal winner senior and under age munster winners to beat Waterford

Best luck Saturday in game if I'm going I'll shout for Waterford with cork man in charge

What is mcglincheys history? Previous experience etc?

People have agreed with my post even highly respectable posters such mountain lad I think I mad my point

Lads wat chance have Cappoquin this weekend I hear they are down a few players with injuries. Aaron o Sullivan not right yet and Finan murray a major doubt surely if that's true they will be up against it

O donovan rossa won the Ulster senior championship about 6 or 7 years back if memory serves me right. They went down intermediate last year but have come straight back up on the first year. They will be a serious outfit. We saw with Creggan kickhams in the junior last year the strength of Antrim club hurling. Best of luck to cappoquin anyway hope they can do it

People have agreed with my post even highly respectable posters such mountain lad I think I mad my point

I think you will find highly respected posted here and other cork thread disagree your point

Be fair mountain Lad who I agree is respected poster didn't actually agree with you he actually said I get lot unfair criticism and making points regards my view hurling

As said you don't like my view then have common courtesy make prediction before game itself

Anway I saying no more issue

Made my point enough said

The groups and round robin fixtures for intermediate with dates TBC:

Group One: Modeligo, Ballysaggart, Tourin, Shamrocks, Ardmore.
    Group Two: An Rinn, Clashmore/Kinsalebeg, Brickey Rangers, Stradbally, Ballinameela.
    Round One:
    Ardmore vs Modeligo.
    Ballysaggart vs Shamrocks.
    Tourin vs BYE.
    Ballinameela vs An Rinn.
    Clashmore/Kinsalebeg vs Stradbally.
    Brickey Rangers vs BYE.
    Round Two:
    Modeligo vs BYE.
    Ardmore vs Shamrocks.
    Tourin vs Ballysaggart.
    An Rinn vs BYE.
    Ballinameela vs Stradbally.
    Brickey Rangers vs Clashmore/Kinsalebeg.
    Round Three:
    Modeligo vs Ballysaggart.
    Ardmore vs BYE.
    Tourin vs Shamrocks.
    An Rinn vs Clashmore/Kinsalebeg.
    Ballinameela vs BYE.
    Brickey Rangers vs Stradbally.
    Round Four:
    Shamrocks vs Modeligo.
    Ballysaggart vs BYE.
    Tourin vs Ardmore.
    An Rinn vs Stradbally.
    Clashmore/Kinsalebeg vs BYE.
    Brickey Rangers vs Ballinameela.
    Round Five:
    Modeligo vs Tourin.
    Ballysaggart vs Ardmore.
    Shamrocks vs BYE.
    An Rinn vs Brickey Rangers.
    Clashmore/Kinsalebeg vs Ballinameela.
    Stradbally vs BYE.

Think it's a disgrace that clashmore have been allowed to stay up after being relegated.
    Whole can of worms opened because you can be sure whoever get relegated in 2015 will ask for the same treatment!!

The groups and round robin fixtures for the junior with dates TBC:
    Group One: Geraldines, Kilgobinet, Lismore, Abbeyside, Tallow.
    Group Two: St Marys, Colligan, Dungarvan, Fourmilewater, Ballyduff Upper.
    Round One:
    Geraldines vs Kilgobinet.
    Tallow vs BYE.
    Lismore vs Abbeyside.
    St Marys vs Colligan.
    Ballyduff Upper vs BYE.
    Dungarvan vs Fourmilewater.
    Round Two:
    Geraldines vs BYE.
    Tallow vs Abbeyside.
    Lismore vs Kilgobinet.
    St Marys vs BYE.
    Ballyduff Upper vs Fourmilewater.
    Dungarvan vs Colligan.
    Round Three:
    Tallow vs Geraldines.
    Kilgobinet vs Abbeyside.
    Lismore vs BYE.
    Ballyduff Upper vs St Marys.
    Colligan vs Fourmilewater.
    Dungarvan vs BYE.
    Round Four:
    Abbeyside vs Geraldines.
    BYE vs Kilgobinet.
    Lismore vs Tallow.
    Fourmilewater vs St Marys.
    BYE vs Colligan.
    Dungarvan vs Ballyduff Upper.
    Round Five:
    Geraldines vs Lismore.
    Kilgobinet vs Tallow.
    Abbeyside vs BYE.
    St Marys vs Dungarvan.
    Colligan vs Ballyduff Upper.
    Fourmilewater vs BYE.

Restructuring of junior definitely a positive, can only improve the standard with more games. Last years 4 team face done away with

• Advertisement

Clashmore have totally got out of jail there. Don't know how they managed to pull that one off not like their a traditional hurling powerhouse or anything. Looking at those junior groups they would have really struggled to come up out of it.

On the plus side the junior grade looks really strong now. Some cracking local derbys to look forward to. Much better setup the structure as it was was a complete nonsense.

Also mad to see clubs like modeligo and ballysaggart fielding second string sides. They'll have to get the parish priest and all to tog out I'd say! But great credit due and a sign of the massive work that has gone into underage in these clubs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement