Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Are we playing Clare in Senior hurling Challenge this weekend?

Anyone have a tinme and date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

Regarding the UCC game Boom Boom is right, it was effectively a UCC B team populated with lots of good underage talent from Cork and Kerry. Waterford closed out as 12 points winners and played a really good brand of football with excellent rotation from front to back and vis a versa. I have been to a number of the footballers games over the last 3 years (3 or 4 per year) So far this year I have gone to the UCC and Wicklow games. Its amazing what a bit of confidence does for a team. The performances over the last 3 weeks have been really encouraging. With the possible addition of Shane Walsh and Paul Whyte getting back to fitness the team is likely to get stronger. The game against Offaly on Sunday will tell a good deal as they are a team who will expect to beat us and had a win themselves over the weekend.

The Hurling on Friday night was also a bit better and while lucky to win, in many ways we finally looked like we had a plan. Brick at FF was excellent at getting on the ball (I don't remember Paul Curran winning one ball off him) and there was excellent support running by Brian O Halloran & Donie B to feed off him. The early ball and support from deep led to 4 clear chances of goals in the first half (as in the clare game a 6 weeks ago) Tommy Connors looked ill and was way off the pace. Jamie Barron at midfield looked really sharp,T de Burke was majestic at CB. Kevin Moran swung over some great scores which was also encouraging. Shane Bennett played well in the second half and will push hard for a starting spot. I think we'll have trouble keeping 15 on the pitch if we continue with our current FB (unless he calms down) but good to see Dara Fives back and I hope he gets the number 3 jersey for the league. Right now I hope the team will look something like this come saturday week

Iggy, FB line of Shane Fives, Dara F and Noel,
    HB line of Aussie, T de B and Philip Mahony ,
    Jamie +Donie B (SOS poor on Friday)
    , Moran, Paudie Mahony + Tom Devine
    Brian O Halloran,Brick, Shane Bennett,
    but I expect Barry Coughlin to be FB, SoS to replace Donie B.

It was the first time in 18 months I felt a little bit of hope for the Hurlers, it made for a nice change

Wasn't at the game but agree on SOS from what I've seen over the past year or so. I think McGrath was right to move on without Nagle and Lawlor but should have moved O'Sullivan on aswell. The only 2,guys out of the later 20s early 30s age group that still have a lot to offer are Brick and Moran imo. Molumphy could have stuck around for maybe another year but would have played a bit part role at best

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

Regarding the UCC game Boom Boom is right, it was effectively a UCC B team populated with lots of good underage talent from Cork and Kerry. Waterford closed out as 12 points winners and played a really good brand of football with excellent rotation from front to back and vis a versa. I have been to a number of the footballers games over the last 3 years (3 or 4 per year) So far this year I have gone to the UCC and Wicklow games. Its amazing what a bit of confidence does for a team. The performances over the last 3 weeks have been really encouraging. With the possible addition of Shane Walsh and Paul Whyte getting back to fitness the team is likely to get stronger. The game against Offaly on Sunday will tell a good deal as they are a team who will expect to beat us and had a win themselves over the weekend.

The Hurling on Friday night was also a bit better and while lucky to win, in many ways we finally looked like we had a plan. Brick at FF was excellent at getting on the ball (I don't remember Paul Curran winning one ball off him) and there was excellent support running by Brian O Halloran & Donie B to feed off him. The early ball and support from deep led to 4 clear chances of goals in the first half (as in the clare game a 6 weeks ago) Tommy Connors looked ill and was way off the pace. Jamie Barron at midfield looked really sharp,T de Burke was majestic at CB. Kevin Moran swung over some great scores which was also encouraging. Shane Bennett played well in the second half and will push hard for a starting spot. I think we'll have trouble keeping 15 on the pitch if we continue with our current FB (unless he calms down) but good to see Dara Fives back and I hope he gets the number 3 jersey for the league. Right now I hope the team will look something like this come saturday week

It was the first time in 18 months I felt a little bit of hope for the Hurlers, it made for a nice change

Iggy on goal.. is Soky injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Surely SOK on goal, no? Although in saying that I'd like to see SOK, Iggy and Seanie Barry given a few games each during the league.

It'll be interesting to see what team is named for Limerick on Sat week. There must have been 40 players nearly that have got game time the last few weeks so I hope McGrath and co know what their best team is (or at least the majority of it).

Is there any last challenge game this weekend before the league opener? Hillfarmer mentioned one v Clare, any date, time, venue?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

No Competition in my eyes.. Other two are average keepers..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Are we playing Clare in Senior hurling Challenge this weekend?

Anyone have a tinme and date?

Sixmilebridge. Don't have a time.

Sixmilebridge. Don't have a time.

Saturday, last I heard.

As much as I'd like to reencounter the pervious months where various people on this forum said we would never have a chance in football and slated the footballers I won't bother bringing it :D yes the footballers worked great today I personally didn't think they had it in them to beat UCC the reigning sigersons champions, seeing as people always say the sigersons champions should be able to beat any of the top 6 football counties on anyday it was a great result and so was today. However the chance to be a strong football county isn't that far in the horizon, if they gain promotion McGlinchey will be a happy man. I don't really think there's much in Munster just letting the lads express themselfs and hope to get the Munster semis and if they got to the 3rd/4th round qualifiers it would be a stellar year. Then McGlinchey would need to avoid 2nd year syndrome. And maintain Division 3 for a number of year. And I'll answer the question why remain division 3? Simply because Then McGlinchey is basically waiting for the cavalry to arrive from the current and past minors. People say Waterford football goes nowhere but an actually system has been established where the teams have not been thrown together which is what Waterford lacked of the years, especially at underage, Curran last year and Lenehan this year have established this. And the current minor team should be in the Munster final come the first week in July. Which would be a first every quarter final appears also. Personally I don't really know the minor hurlers panel that well cause I don't know many standout names than Lyons and Prunty and Sully but I know a good bit about the minor footballers, I have seen people before me comment on the minors and what they think they'll look like and I say Lenehan won't go far in changing this squad, maybe 13 of this 15 will start but I will hope there will be no negative responses like last time someone posted a suggested team for the minor hurlers or footballers

1) Kevin Dwane (Balinacourty)
    2) Gavin O' Brien (Gaultier)
    3) Darren McGuckian (Stradbally)
    4) Carthach Barry (Brickey Rangers)
    5) Darragh Lyons (Dungarvan)
    6) John Elsted (Balinacourty)
    7) Michael Phelan (Balinameela)
    8) Paul Whelan (Brickey Rangers)
    9) Conor Prunty (Balinacourty)
    10) Michael Sweeney (Stradbally)
    11) Conor Murray (Rathgormack)
    12) Dylan Guiry (The Nire)
    13) Dean Kearns (Gaultier)
    14) David Looby (Balinacourty)
    15) Seanie Whyte (Del La Salle)

Not sure about 15's club but I think there is talent in this east and saw it at a few u17 games, and the u17's Munster is nothing to go off it didn't include half the proper team, now only I think 4 are on the hurlers of my starting team compared to last year where 12 were on the starting footballers. I ain't sure if the minor footballers are cut yet but I say most people will agree you'd be able to pick your 15 from last years extended panels and the u17 team. And I say Lenehan will be thinking of a team not far from that by this stage.

If Ger Power Combines this minor team with last years minors, which consisted of Jack Guiry, Conor Gleeson, Kieran O' Neill, Jack Mullaney, Michael Cronin, Joe Allen, Edmond O Halloran, Michael Shine and the almighty Cormac Curran (probably too busy with ye auld hurling), with this years minor team and give them three years working together there is no reason why munsters and an all Ireland isn't beyond reach with that talent, don't think anyone on here could say it ain't possible with that talent, Roscommon showed it at u-21 Tipperary done it at Minors, winning and competing all Ireland's and forgetting about the colour of your jersey and just going out playing football, something McGlinchey is implementing, ignoring the colour of your jersey, taking your man-to-man, getting behind the ball and turning it over and sending in direct balls. I even think Waterford did it I. 2003 with the u21's three years together and they win a munster. Hopefully Lenehan and his team prove my point cause I know they'll be thinking the same.

The way I've heard it, none of the co. minor hurlers will be playing co. minor football in 2015. I'd be happy to be correctly informed on that, so if anyone knows for sure.... Any subs in mind for the minor football panel Brickeyvalley?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

The way I've heard it, none of the co. minor hurlers will be playing co. minor football in 2015. I'd be happy to be correctly informed on that, so if anyone knows for sure.... Any subs in mind for the minor football panel Brickeyvalley?

Wouldn't for a second believe that.. someone's having you on Conor Prunty & Darragh Lyons are first two minor dual players come to mind an they will play both codes unless injury prevents them

• Registered Users Posts: 48 brickeyvalley

There are other handy players, I aint sure about them not being allowed play dual, I say if it went that Prunty was to choose he'd go Football and Lyons hurling, a few players are dual like Carthach Barry, haven't spoken to him in a while so aint aware if he is still on the panel. John Elsted and other lads were dropped off the hurling but a number of lads that probably wouldn't make the starting football 15 would be dual. Very less dual players this year compared to last year but still a good few.
    A good few players that ive seen from last year u16 and u17;
    Michael Culloo (Balinameela) (Wing Forward/corner forward)
    Luke O' Connor (Gerdlines) (full back/corner back)
    Darragh O' Grady (Brickey Rangers) (corner back/wing back)
    Ruari Conway (Balinacourty) (Wing back, Full back, corner back)
    Maurice Daly (Brickey Rangers) (Wing Back/centre back)
    Rob Shine (Balinameela) (Corner Forward)
    Shane O'Meara (The Nire) (Wing back/ Wing Forward)
    Kieran Looney (The Nire) (Corner Back/Wing Back/ Wing Forward) (if eligible)
    Jack Skehan (St. Pats/Naomh Brid) (Full back/ Wing Back)
    Diarmuid Curran (Ring) Corner Forward)
    John Ville (DLS) (Wing Back / Centre Back)
    Ciaran Cusack (Stradbally) (Centre back/ corner back)
    Aidan Kirwan (Dungarvan) (wing Back / corner forward)
    I wouldn't know many names of eastern players to be quiet honest, not a reflection on eastern players but I say the best I placed in my 15 and probably John Ville will be on the bench maybe. I say when the panel is cut more it will be 30 - 32 and 8 - 10 from the east.

In reflection to them training and matches they are doing far less than the hurlers due to the CCC but that team of my 15 have been together from u14/u15 + should have a serious crack at Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 brickeyvalley

There are other handy players, I aint sure about them not being allowed play dual, I say if it went that Prunty was to choose he'd go Football and Lyons hurling, a few players are dual like Carthach Barry, haven't spoken to him in a while so aint aware if he is still on the panel. John Elsted and other lads were dropped off the hurling but a number of lads that probably wouldn't make the starting football 15 would be dual. Very less dual players this year compared to last year but still a good few.
    Ryan O' Neill (Brickey Rangers) (Corner Forward)
    I wouldn't know many names of eastern players to be quiet honest, not a reflection on eastern players but I say the best I placed in my 15 and probably John Ville will be on the bench maybe. I say when the panel is cut more it will be 30 - 32 and 8 - 10 from the east.

In reflection to them training and matches they are doing far less than the hurlers due to the CCC but that team of my 15 have been together from u14/u15 + should have a serious crack at Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Ryan O' Neill (Brickey Rangers) (Corner Forward)

To my Knowledge there is no DLS player on the Minor football team

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭carter10

Not a bad team but id make a few positional switches assuming Philip Mahony is fit. When fit id also include Maurice in the half forward line. I'm including Coughlan at FB as he has been there for a number of challenges and it seems McGrath is going with him there. Not sure about left half forward as no one really stands out in that position.

SOK

Shane Fives Barry C N Connors

D Fives TdeB Philip Mahony

J Barron K Moran

A Gleeson P Mahony DB

BOH Brick S Bennett

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭carter10

Forgot about Jake Dillon. Would have him on the team but where to put him, Bennett to lose out?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

carter10 wrote: »
    Forgot about Jake Dillon. Would have him on the team but where to put him, Bennett to lose out?

Dillon not a patch on Shane Bennett. The most over rated player i have seen in the last few years. I am trying very hard to remember the last good game he had for the county and am really struggling. Bennett has pace to burn,maybe wet behind the ears but has still more about him in a forward role than Dillon. When Bennett came on against Tipp Fri night his natural instinct was to attack them them directly and it caused problems for their defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Try Dillon's debut against Clare for a start. He was a one man band up front against Clare in the 21s as well.

Didn't want to say but thought people were getting a but carried away with him as a young player, really struggled his last year minor. But he was impressive in 2013, and maybe it was the long club campaign in 2011 that took its toll because he was excellent for DLS then as well.

So as much as I had thought he was over rated, think he got a raw deal last year especially seen as we was injured for the whole league and only making his way back when thrown in against Cork, was no surprise he struggled. Derek McGrath made a move akin to the 3-3-1 debacle as well by naming him as vice captain.

Would think at this stage that Shane Bennett will pass him out a long the way but think he's further a long in his development at this stage and a better option. Also, is Shane Bennett doing the leaving cert this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Shane Bennett ahead of Stephen Bennett for Waterford? What's the story with Stephen actually? Injured? On the panel?

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Shane Bennett ahead of Stephen Bennett for Waterford? What's the story with Stephen actually? Injured? On the panel?

Stephen is attending a specialist for his hip problems in Santry in Dublin regularly. Very worrying for such a young lad. Already missing the Fitzgibbon with UL will probably miss the league aswell. A bit like last year I think he will struggle to be back in time for the u21 championship

Shane is progressing better at this stage but as someone said he's still only doing the leaving so needs to be minded aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Stephen is attending a specialist for his hip problems in Santry in Dublin regularly. Very worrying for such a young lad. Already missing the Fitzgibbon with UL will probably miss the league aswell. A bit like last year I think he will struggle to be back in time for the u21 championship

Shane is progressing better at this stage but as someone said he's still only doing the leaving so needs to be minded aswell

That sounds very worrying for Stephen.

And Shane's only doing the leaving? Didn't think players got onto senior panels these days while in 6th year... I mean he's clearly talented but would it not be nearly better for him to focus on U-21 for now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Thanks for the underage Football updates, really appreciated as I am an ex-pat and wouldn't be hearing anything otherwise

• Advertisement

archieknox wrote: »
    Dillon not a patch on Shane Bennett. The most over rated player i have seen in the last few years. I am trying very hard to remember the last good game he had for the county and am really struggling. Bennett has pace to burn,maybe wet behind the ears but has still more about him in a forward role than Dillon. When Bennett came on against Tipp Fri night his natural instinct was to attack them them directly and it caused problems for their defence.

How about the U21 against Clare a few years ago when he was one of the best players on the Field - and by far the best Waterford player. Also he was excellent at Full Forward when WIT won the Fitzgibbon.

He just got injured at the wrong time last year - he didn't give himself any recovery time and was back playing way too soon - just shows his desire to play with the county, but he could not have been right, he still did ok last year, a chance to be fully fit he certainly is talented and I think can have an impact in future, he has a lot of hurling ability

Fireball07 wrote: »
    That sounds very worrying for Stephen.

And Shane's only doing the leaving? Didn't think players got onto senior panels these days while in 6th year... I mean he's clearly talented but would it not be nearly better for him to focus on U-21 for now?

Shane is too young and should have been given a chance to develop a bit, he is only just gone minor but I saw him playing a minor county final in 2011, to my knowledge he was 17 playing minor last year so he would have been about 14 playing that county final. imagine the amount of games he has played with Lismore, Waterford minors started playing at 15, in 2013 and 2014 played on the minor teams with the longest seasons for some time for Waterford minors, the Ballysaggart All-Ireland Club Campaign, the BCS Harty team, now the Waterford seniors - does anyone else think this is lunacy? the Guy is only doing his Leaving Cert this year for gods sake!

Look at Stephen this year he came on in goal for Lismore in the U21 - clearly injured, and played a portion of the game full forward - he never should have come on in that match.

Imagine the amount of games they have played already... playing on teams well above there age, sometimes carrying injuries... these lads aren't getting much protection with Club or county - thrown in to as many matches as possible... no harm to hold young lads back and allow them play their age, no matter how talented they are

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gavwaldo

Is Shane Bennet really only doing his leaving this year? I have to admit that I'm really surprised at Dereck McGrath as a teacher in DLS. Bennet is probably doing his pre leaving this and next week. I remember Davy Fitz starting Brian o' Halloran for a debut in an All Ireland semi final and said he would have started earlier only for he was doing the leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Slobbery wrote: »
    Shane is too young and should have been given a chance to develop a bit, he is only just gone minor but I saw him playing a minor county final in 2011, to my knowledge he was 17 playing minor last year so he would have been about 14 playing that county final. imagine the amount of games he has played with Lismore, Waterford minors started playing at 15, in 2013 and 2014 played on the minor teams with the longest seasons for some time for Waterford minors, the Ballysaggart All-Ireland Club Campaign, the BCS Harty team, now the Waterford seniors - does anyone else think this is lunacy? the Guy is only doing his Leaving Cert this year for gods sake!

Look at Stephen this year he came on in goal for Lismore in the U21 - clearly injured, and played a portion of the game full forward - he never should have come on in that match.

Imagine the amount of games they have played already... playing on teams well above there age, sometimes carrying injuries... these lads aren't getting much protection with Club or county - thrown in to as many matches as possible... no harm to hold young lads back and allow them play their age, no matter how talented they are
    Ya it is madness alright that players are expected to turn out for multiple teams, the nature of young lads is that they will ignore injuries to play and for a manager/coach their own focus is the next game for the team they're over, this is where the GAA needs to step in and legislate for it, no point in leaving it in the young lads, or his parents hands.
    Think no young lad who is doing his leaving cert should be allowed be on a senior inter county panel and I think anyone should be only allowed on one inter county panel at a time, so if your on minors can't play u21 or if u21 can't play senior.
    I remember stephen Bennett destroyed limerick at minor when he was 15/16, that's great at the time but if playing that young was a contributing factor to his hip problems then it has done waterford, or more so him, no good in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

How about the U21 against Clare a few years ago when he was one of the best players on the Field - and by far the best Waterford player. Also he was excellent at Full Forward when WIT won the Fitzgibbon.

He just got injured at the wrong time last year - he didn't give himself any recovery time and was back playing way too soon - just shows his desire to play with the county, but he could not have been right, he still did ok last year, a chance to be fully fit he certainly is talented and I think can have an impact in future, he has a lot of hurling ability

Referring to that u21 game he scored 13pts,11of them frees. Yes he was good on the night but not exceptional. Again for W.I.T last year he was good in the Fitzgibbon but not exceptional. My point is there are better,natural forwards than him available at the moment. I am not saying he hasn't a part to play but as an automatic starter i would have my doubts.Dunford again is another guy naturally better than him.

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Ya it is madness alright that players are expected to turn out for multiple teams, the nature of young lads is that they will ignore injuries to play and for a manager/coach their own focus is the next game for the team they're over, this is where the GAA needs to step in and legislate for it, no point in leaving it in the young lads, or his parents hands.
    Think no young lad who is doing his leaving cert should be allowed be on a senior inter county panel and I think anyone should be only allowed on one inter county panel at a time, so if your on minors can't play u21 or if u21 can't play senior.
    I remember stephen Bennett destroyed limerick at minor when he was 15/16, that's great at the time but if playing that young was a contributing factor to his hip problems then it has done waterford, or more so him, no good in the long term.

Stephen Bennett was 15 at the time, in fairness I think that Stephens Hip problems were an issue from a very young age, but of course playing all those games have to be a contributing factor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I see the minor hurlers had to cancel a training session at the weekend as it transpired that they had exceeded the maximum amount of training sessions which you're allowed to schedule at minor level (3).

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Deise189

Stephen Bennett was 15 at the time, in fairness I think that Stephens Hip problems were an issue from a very young age, but of course playing all those games have to be a contributing factor

Stephens hip problems were also made worse by his running technique and the way he rotates his hips while running. I think he is or was attending a specialist to help him develop a different way of running to take some of the pressure off his hips.

hardybuck wrote: »
    I see the minor hurlers had to cancel a training session at the weekend as it transpired that they had exceeded the maximum amount of training sessions which you're allowed to schedule at minor level (3).

Anyone know who is trianing the minor hurlers or have a list of the panel members?

With all the hype on here about the football panel the dogs on the street will know who's on it. must have been posted here about 20 times at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Hurling man

archieknox wrote: »
    Referring to that u21 game he scored 13pts,11of them frees. Yes he was good on the night but not exceptional. Again for W.I.T last year he was good in the Fitzgibbon but not exceptional. My point is there are better,natural forwards than him available at the moment. I am not saying he hasn't a part to play but as an automatic starter i would have my doubts.Dunford again is another guy naturally better than him.

Sorry now Archie but what is your definition of a natural forward. If it's someone with good wrists, quick striking ability of both sides and able to finish then it's unfair to compare jake Dillon to Colin dunford both are good in fairness but dun fords game is based on space and not natural hurling he would admit himself that his striking needs to improve and that his pace has covered over some of his weaknesses in the past. Jake is one of the most natural hurlers we have in Waterford and if he was blessed with the pace dunford has he would be one of the best forwards in the country. I don't think jake is overrated and I think his role in the fitzgibbon last year was immeasurable his work rate a leadership along with the scoring power he showed earned him a fitzgibbon all star. Maybe we should support the lads we have instead of always finding fault with them. Maybe if he joined dungarvan you would appreciate his skills moreðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement