Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

culbaire wrote: »
    In all probability he was nailed by the referee in his report. Perhaps the referee needs a pair of glasses. The sight mustn't be too good with him. That does not exonerate the so called disciplinary committee from responsibility for an idiotic decision. There was video evidence available to show that this was innocuous.
    Even a simpleton could see that. The clowns who made the decision should resign. It will be interesting to see how this committee deals with any disciplinary problems involving Tipperary, Cork, Kilkenny or Dublin this year. Will be watching carefully to see is there consistency. Who are the"geniuses" who made this decision?

Apparently, he was banned for "striking with minimal force". Bit of an oxymoron that sentence. How exactly would they describe Pat Horgan's rescinded red card last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Apparently, he was banned for "striking with minimal force". Bit of an oxymoron that sentence. How exactly would they describe Pat Horgan's rescinded red card last year?
    Its a stupid decision made by idiots who should resign. It will be interesting to see the record of this committee this year in relation to any transgressions by players from the strong counties like Cork, Tipperary, Kilkenny. This must be appealed if possible. Time for the Waterford County Board to speak out on this. Will there be a media outcry about this? Of course not. We are only little Waterford!!! Hopefully this will motivate the Waterford players for the championship. It would be interesting to know who the committee members are. Bosco the Clown would have more common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Its a stupid decision made by idiots who should resign. It will be interesting to see the record of this committee this year in relation to any transgressions by players from the strong counties like Cork, Tipperary, Kilkenny. This must be appealed if possible. Time for the Waterford County Board to speak out on this. Will there be a media outcry about this? Of course not. We are only little Waterford!!! Hopefully this will motivate the Waterford players for the championship. It would be interesting to know who the committee members are. Bosco the Clown would have more common sense.

Already waas appealed, it failed at the hearing on Monday.

Good point as regards Pat Horgan. Sad to see all avenues of appeal exhausted.

Already waas appealed, it failed at the hearing on Monday.
    According to Hogan Stand he can take his case to the Disputes Resolution Authority http://www.hoganstand.com/Waterford/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=214260

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭seananigans

think it would be good to give them a kick, we cant be the whipping boys on AND off the field

https://twitter.com/JohnFogartyIrl/status/456549952458469377

Significant Waterford #GAA story in tomorrow's @ExaminerSport

I suspect it's gonna be Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

mullane to come back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

I thought it was Tomy as well....

But...

The Waterford County Board have taken the extraordinary decision to cancel all of the senior hurlers' training until after the May Bank Holiday weekend.
    More at IrishExaminer.com

27 days without training as a unit in April/May... The insinuation in the article is that it is to keep costs down.

Slobbery wrote: »
    I thought it was Tomy as well....

But...

The Waterford County Board have taken the extraordinary decision to cancel all of the senior hurlers' training until after the May Bank Holiday weekend.
    More at IrishExaminer.com

27 days without training as a unit in April/May... The insinuation in the article is that it is to keep costs down.

Time for the co board to maybe think about stepping aside themselves at this stage. This farce is going on with 3 years

• Advertisement

the last time a manager took it easy was McCarthy in '08 and we all know how that ended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

hurling panel not allowed to train until 6 May !

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/deise-halt-training-as-board-puts-clubs-first-265651.html

some muppets in the county board

robopaddy wrote: »
    Time for the co board to maybe think about stepping aside themselves at this stage. This farce is going on with 3 years

I a away so don't know the ins and out of it but I saw on twitter the county board patting themselves on the back a few weeks ago for reducing the debt.
    Initially I thought fair play, but as I thought about it more I thought where is the money coming from?
    Someone here might know but is it a case that the county board are bleeding the clubs dry to service the debt?

It appears that the county board are in disaster recovery mode with regard to the finances. I could be open to correction on this but aren't the same guys that got us into this mess still in charge and trying to get us out of it?

They have proven themselves incapable, time to move aside.

Slobbery wrote: »
    I a away so don't know the ins and out of it but I saw on twitter the county board patting themselves on the back a few weeks ago for reducing the debt.
    Initially I thought fair play, but as I thought about it more I thought where is the money coming from?
    Someone here might know but is it a case that the county board are bleeding the clubs dry to service the debt?

It appears that the county board are in disaster recovery mode with regard to the finances. I could be open to correction on this but aren't the same guys that got us into this mess still in charge and trying to get us out of it?

They have proven themselves incapable, time to move aside.

If reports are true that the players on the shc panel were not permitted to play football with their clubs by management for the upcoming games then that is completely wrong. Maybe on second thoughts the co board have case here.

Either way its another bloody mess. This could get ugly yet....

robopaddy wrote: »
    If reports are true that the players on the shc panel were not permitted to play football with their clubs by management for the upcoming games then that is completely wrong. Maybe on second thoughts the co board have case here.

Either way its another bloody mess. This could get ugly yet....

I cant believe that the management would enforce that, no player could refuse to play a championship game with their club, for a management team to do that would be immediate suicide, it would not under any circumstances be allowed to happen.

know if you told me that the senior management had pushed to get one of the football championship games to be called off so they could have access to the players for that week that I could understand.

27 days not meeting up as a squad os way to long, taking a month out before the session has even started

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

Waterford trained on last Sat morning in Fraher Field, and trained in Walsh Park last Tues evening, those papers will print anything they are told. Take the "27 days" with a pinch of salt lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Waterford trained on last Sat morning in Fraher Field, and trained in Walsh Park last Tues evening, those papers will print anything they are told. Take the "27 days" with a pinch of salt lads.

They trained last Saturday morning at 9am in fraher field but did not train Tuesday nite the players received a text explaining the situation. Basically the club championship both football/hurling is on for next 2/3 weeks so it's no surprise that there not training with the county so it's back to their clubs. its always more less been this way. And it might not be a bad thing least when there back it might seem to freshen it all up again an give much needed confidence to the squad. But again its Just more bad press for us. this needs to be kept out of national papers were forever in the news for the wrong reasons. We're like an empty can making most noise on silly matters

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Have a good look at the situation in Wexford. Hurling one week, football the next. They are useless at both codes now. Nobody is going to be forced to play football by the Country Board. The quicker you understand that the better. In Kilkenny which has a small population base they concentrate on hurling. Result is that they win All Irelands in hurling. They just laugh at the set up in Wexford which is now a joke in hurling and football at Inter County level.

Wexford was a traditional football county long before hurling got a look in.

In recent years in football, they've thrown away a couple of Leinster finals to the best team in the country - Dublin, and contested a Div.2 national league final.

That's not too bad in a competition where 33 teams play the competition as opposed to just 15 who are playing for Liam McCarthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

hardybuck wrote: »

In recent years in football, they've thrown away a couple of Leinster finals to the best team in the country - Dublin, and contested a Div.2 national league final.

That's not too bad in a competition where 33 teams play the competition as opposed to just 15 who are playing for Liam McCarthy.

Wexford have always been a strong hurling county, they beat Limerick in the 1910 hurling all ireland and there are more hurling clubs than football clubs in Wexford.

In fairness the standard of football in lenister has been muck for the last 10 years with one team winning it every year. Their emphasis to be an all rounder at all sports means they are average at all which is ok if you want to get to the odd provincial final in both codes but never having a realistic chance of going all the way in underage or adult competitions.

If you were been honest do the 33 teams that compete for the football all ireland every year have a realistic chance of winning it or are they simply fullfilling the fixtures for the strongest 15 counties that play gaelic football.

Do you think our friends across the suir have this same discussion in wanting to be average at all sports or has their focus on one sport paid dividends for them. The reality is we cannot be successful at all sports given the size of the county and that is the problem wexford is faced with. Therefore if you were been honest then focusing on one sport increases the chances for a small county of winning an all ireland whether they be kilkenny or kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

hardybuck wrote: »

You seem to be confusing competitiveness and no. of teams participating in a competition. Just because there are more teams taking part doesn't necessarily mean it's more competitive. The classic example being the Leinster senior football championship which is littered with lightweights, as the fact Wexford got to a couple of finals, demonstrates perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheBomber14

You seem to be confusing competitiveness and no. of teams participating in a competition. Just because there are more teams taking part doesn't necessarily mean it's more competitive. The classic example being the Leinster senior football championship which is littered with lightweights, as the fact Wexford got to a couple of finals, demonstrates perfectly.

Laughable to think ben brosnan was seen by many to be a serious footballer,just cause he kicked 8 points against longford, carlow or westmeath. A classic example of how bad the leinster football championship has been in last couple years

Wexford have always been a strong hurling county, they beat Limerick in the 1910 hurling all ireland and there are more hurling clubs than football clubs in Wexford.

In fairness the standard of football in lenister has been muck for the last 10 years with one team winning it every year. Their emphasis to be an all rounder at all sports means they are average at all which is ok if you want to get to the odd provincial final in both codes but never having a realistic chance of going all the way in underage or adult competitions.

If you were been honest do the 33 teams that compete for the football all ireland every year have a realistic chance of winning it or are they simply fullfilling the fixtures for the strongest 15 counties that play gaelic football.

Do you think our friends across the suir have this same discussion in wanting to be average at all sports or has their focus on one sport paid dividends for them. The reality is we cannot be successful at all sports given the size of the county and that is the problem wexford is faced with. Therefore if you were been honest then focusing on one sport increases the chances for a small county of winning an all ireland whether they be kilkenny or kerry.

If you're quoting the 1900's, Wexford footballers won 4 All Irelands in a row in that era! Up at the north of the county, there wouldn't be too much hurling played at all - mostly football.

Waterford have been pouring resources into hurling for the last 20 odd years have they not? Has football ever got anything above the bare minimum of cash? Waterford were a poor team for decades, and we're an average team again despite all that money spent.

In the last 20 years, 6 different counties have won an All Ireland hurling.

In the last 20 years, 10 different counties have won an All Ireland football.

Which is more competitive? There are four provincial championships in football instead of two in hurling. In hurling you've got over 50% of the teams making the quarter finals, so realistically you need to be fairly off the pace to not make them.

The Leinster teams are all pretty competitive outside of Leinster at the back of it. Dublin being an absolute juggernaut at the moment masks that.

However, 6 counties have won the Leinster Championship in the last 20 years.

Further to my recent post on All Ireland winners, of the last 20 titles, the breakdown is:

5 Leinster
    6 Ulster
    2 Connacht
    7 Munster

Contrast that to hurling, which only has Leinster and Munster winners in that period, with 12 Leinster and 8 Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Have a good look at the situation in Wexford. Hurling one week, football the next. They are useless at both codes now. Nobody is going to be forced to play football by the Country Board. The quicker you understand that the better. In Kilkenny which has a small population base they concentrate on hurling. Result is that they win All Irelands in hurling. They just laugh at the set up in Wexford which is now a joke in hurling and football at Inter County level.

Small counties like Waterford, Wexford cannot play both games equally well. There is plenty of mediocrity in Wexford now. Look at Kerry. Football is much better treated in Waterford than hurling is in Kerry. Kerry concentrates on football. It wins All Irelands. Cork is a dual county. It has a huge population base. Not even Cork can win Senior Football All Irelands on a regular basis. Not even Dublin with its huge population base can win All Irelands in both codes. Remember this: We lack the population base and financial resources to be a successful dual county. Sure our Country Board is all but bankrupt.

In fact a huge effort will be required if we are to bridge the gap at hurling. Clare has jumped far ahead of us in terms of basic skills. There seems to be a huge assumption in Waterford that we have a large number of skilful young hurlers. We have some but not enough. We need to win an ALL Ireland in minor hurling every five or six years if we are serious about dominating Senior Inter County hurling. At best out of the 2013 Minor team we will probably get four or five players. In fact it may be less. Who knows?
    ON AVERAGE according to Paul Flynn you would be lucky to get anymore than 2 off a sucessful minor team to play senior

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭waterfordgirl

Beat fm just put a post on facebook to say that Tony Browne had just announced his retirement

Beat announced on FB Tony retired :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

Thank you Tony.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/tony-browne-retires-1421172-Apr2014/?utm_source=twitter_self

THE GREAT WATERFORD hurler Tony Browne has announced his retirement this evening.
    In a statement issued through the Gaelic Players’ Association, Browne said: ”I have loved and embraced every moment wearing the Waterford jersey from my earliest days. However, I know the time is now right for me to bring the curtain down on my county career.
    “I am so proud in knowing I have given my all to Waterford hurling. It is now time for others to enjoy and cherish the same honour and pride that I felt over the past 23 years representing Waterford.”
    More to follow.

My only wish is to buy that man a pint sometime

Sometimes you don't want to be right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Thanks for everything Tony, best wishes in the future.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement