Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I'm just curious but what are the costs involved with running a training session? I assume post training meals have to be paid for (is this a soup and sandwiches thing or a sit down meal somewhere?) and petrol/mileage costs. Anything else? How much would this approximately come to?

Best of luck to Tony, he's been a legend for us. Thanks for the memories Tony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Cake Man wrote: »
    I'm just curious but what are the costs involved with running a training session? I assume post training meals have to be paid for (is this a soup and sandwiches thing or a sit down meal somewhere?) and petrol/mileage costs. Anything else? How much would this approximately come to?

Best of luck to Tony, he's been a legend for us. Thanks for the memories Tony.

€2000 a session according to the examiner article, presumably petrol/mileage being a major part of this, food, I know players whey protein and stuff was provided under Davy, presumably still the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Slobbery wrote: »
    €2000 a session according to the examiner article, presumably petrol/mileage being a major part of this, food, I know players whey protein and stuff was provided under Davy, presumably still the same

You could double that under davy fitz...

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Teebor15

PTH2009 wrote: »
    i know im being a downer but the cork game could be a hiding for us. getting a training ban for a few weeks while cork are traning away. Things are not looking good this early

In the qulifers all teams will be dangerous and would not be surprised if we got knocked out in the first round. Laois and Antrim will have played 5 games before the 1st Round Qulifers while we could of only played 1 game

Just wondering, even with all this fine weather we are having over the last few days, is that big dark cloud always over your head?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Yea I think it's a good decision also. Training week after week with the same panel can become stale over long periods. They wont be losing fitness as they have club championship to keep them focused. When they come back there will be a freshness and a renewed focus on the championship which should stand to them during the summer.
    You are joking!!!This is a stupid decision by the country board. The pace of hurling at club level is pedestrian in comparison with senior inter country hurling. Do you seriously think this is the approach in Kilkenny and Cork? Do you think Brian Cody would would tolerate such nonsense. This board to put it mildly has little or no interest in hurling.

• Advertisement

culbaire wrote: »
    This board to put it mildly has little or no interest in hurling.

Yeah, its all football, football, football with them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

You are joking!!!This is a stupid decision by the country board. The pace of hurling at club level is pedestrian in comparison with senior inter country hurling. Do you seriously think this is the approach in Kilkenny and Cork? Do you think Brian Cody would would tolerate such nonsense. This board to put it mildly has little or no interest in hurling.

As far as I am aware, Kilkenny do not halt the club championship to accommodate senior intercounty.

Look where that has them.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Club championship is certainly not pedestrian, the joking and messing goes out the window as the panel and management come together to seriously win these games. The board proberly had an eye on cutting training costs with the county team but that included I think there should be a 3 week break at this time of year going forward regardless.

They have been together since January and they need a break after the league to refocus for the championship. My worry with this panel is even though we have good players, some of them are just not skillfull enough or have the same awarness of options around them as some of the top 4 teams have. I also think some of the players on the panel were better hurlers at minor than they are now.

Club championship is certainly not pedestrian, the joking and messing goes out the window as the panel and management come together to seriously win these games. The board proberly had an eye on cutting training costs with the county team but that included I think there should be a 3 week break at this time of year going forward regardless.

They have been together since January and they need a break after the league to refocus for the championship. My worry with this panel is even though we have good players, some of them are just not skillfull enough or have the same awarness of options around them as some of the top 4 teams have. I also think some of the players on the panel were better hurlers at minor than they are now.
    You must be joking. It is a huge step up from pedestrian club hurling to high speed skilful hurling at inter-county level. Ask any Kilkenny player?
    The reality is that the present county board has little if any interest in hurling. That is being charitable . Do you think the current nonsense from Waterford county board would be tolerated by Brian Cody or JBM?
    I know you wish to support the country board. But Don't try and insult our intelligence.

O Riain wrote: »
    As far as I am aware, Kilkenny do not halt the club championship to accommodate senior intercounty.

Look where that has them.
    They are not confronted with football. You dont have Kilkenny hurlers playing two rounds of football a few weeks before the championship. That's why Kilkenny hurling is where it is. Kilkenny club hurling is light years ahead of Waterford club hurling. At that Kilkenny players will tell you that the gap between club and county is massive. Have you ever seen a Kilkenny training session?

• Advertisement

Teebor15 wrote: »
    Yeah, its all football, football, football with them!
    Precisely. It is a football co.board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Precisely. It is a football co.board.

Ah go home boy

Ah go home boy
    What is going on is like sending the Waterford players out to play against Cork with one hand tied behind their backs.

Ah go home boy
    Sometimes the truth is bitter. It is a football board. Not my words but the words of a very prominent football man in the county. They have treated the senior hurlers with contempt. Contrast the preparation of the Cork team with that of Waterford.

Bear in mind they were there when Fitz was in charge and spending ridiculous amounts on the team. Something like 50,000 a month I heard at the time.

If they're a football board, they haven't shown much affection for the sport. Two brilliant minor teams have been sent out without even a week's training, under 21s last year didn't even have 1 training session.

Cop on to yourself a bit. In reality they have taken two weeks off training here as they're all off for the club hurling, as stated you'd have about 10 players training given the injuries we have if it went ahead during the football,

Maybe they have scheduled the fixtures badly, but I don't think this is the scandal it's being made out to be.

Bear in mind they were there when Fitz was in charge and spending ridiculous amounts on the team. Something like 50,000 a month I heard at the time.

If they're a football board, they haven't shown much affection for the sport. Two brilliant minor teams have been sent out without even a week's training, under 21s last year didn't even have 1 training session.

Cop on to yourself a bit. In reality they have taken two weeks off training here as they're all off for the club hurling, as stated you'd have about 10 players training given the injuries we have if it went ahead during the football,

Maybe they have scheduled the fixtures badly, but I don't think this is the scandal it's being made out to be.
    Note Eoin Kelly's comments in this article http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/deise-hurlers-defy-board-training-ban-265819.html

Noted, what's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheBomber14

senior hurling club championship starting this friday any one got any fancies? could someone possibly post up a list of fixtures ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭seananigans

Noted, what's your point?
    You obviously did not read the article. My point and Eoin Kelly's is that the county board has created a fine mess and ruined preparation of the county hurling team.
    Just a few excerpts:
    “Why they are playing four rounds of championship over four consecutive weekends I don’t know, when they could have easily played the first two rounds of the football earlier in the year. There is no need to have them on top of each other."
    “To ask Seamus Prendergast or Michael ‘Brick’ Walsh to play four weekends on the hop and separate themselves from the county scene when, let’s be honest, the county scene is not going well, just baffles me."
    .“They have three weeks to the Cork game when they return and you are not going to do anything the week before the game. So really they have two weeks to prepare and you need a month to prepare for Munster championship."
    Read the full article. http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/deise-hurlers-defy-board-training-ban-265819.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

We beat Tipp off the pitch in general play in the first round of the league in a scrappy game and somehow lost. I had them relegated the same day, they were diabolocal. Now they're in a league final vs Kilkenny and showing signs of improvement while we've completely gone to the dogs with no encouraging signs at all the last few games and weeks. I'll go to support the lads as always, but between the woeful system we're seeing the players saddled with and the lack of training time to implement anything else it's looking more and more like it'll be a very short summer for the county hurlers.

And whoever said we have a football oriented county board, cheers for the laugh. I needed that.

For once its not us in the news for the wrong reasons...

You obviously did not read the article. My point and Eoin Kelly's is that the county board has created a fine mess and ruined preparation of the county hurling team.
    Just a few excerpts:
    “Why they are playing four rounds of championship over four consecutive weekends I don’t know, when they could have easily played the first two rounds of the football earlier in the year. There is no need to have them on top of each other."
    “To ask Seamus Prendergast or Michael ‘Brick’ Walsh to play four weekends on the hop and separate themselves from the county scene when, let’s be honest, the county scene is not going well, just baffles me."
    .“They have three weeks to the Cork game when they return and you are not going to do anything the week before the game. So really they have two weeks to prepare and you need a month to prepare for Munster championship."
    Read the full article. http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/deise-hurlers-defy-board-training-ban-265819.html

He actually makes valid points. But a bit hypocritical considering the leeway he was given in the past but couldnt be bothered to get himself fit. At 32 a fellah of his ability should still be playing at the top level

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Ropaire wrote: »
    We beat Tipp off the pitch in general play in the first round of the league in a scrappy game and somehow lost. I had them relegated the same day, they were diabolocal. Now they're in a league final vs Kilkenny and showing signs of improvement while we've completely gone to the dogs with no encouraging signs at all the last few games and weeks. I'll go to support the lads as always, but between the woeful system we're seeing the players saddled with and the lack of training time to implement anything else it's looking more and more like it'll be a very short summer for the county hurlers.

And whoever said we have a football oriented county board, cheers for the laugh. I needed that.

I think you will find that the majority of the county board come from strong football clubs and I could be wrong but isn't our Chairman's son on the football panel along with Timmy O Keeffes son ?, however the current state of affairs in the county is more down to the general ineptitude our county board other than which code they have a greater interest in,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Waterford County Board should be commended for giving some recognition to the club championships for once. It's rare that I'd be giving them any praise, but a few other counties will be looking on with interest.

Nationally, we're edging closer than ever to professionalism. Counties like Donegal have a setup more serious than the likes of Waterford could fathom, so serious that their manager was taken on by Glasgow Celtic.

However, that approach is causing a lot of unrest up there lately, as the clubs are being increasingly isolated from their players. At the request of the county management a recent round of county LEAGUE games were postponed at short notice.

This has caused a bit of a stir recently, and it's only a matter of time before Croke Park take a very hands on role with fixtures planning and team preparation. Donegal are an example of a county being held to ransom by a manager promising success. However, what's good for that manager at that particular time might not be in the overall good of the county in the long term. Waterford should know all about that following a succession of outside managers who bled us dry.

The county hurler and footballer is now not much different to the Munster or Leinster rugby player. They all technically belong to a home club, but this is mainly a symbolic gesture, and the clubs would do well to see the player once or twice every year. We're moving closer towards that.

People keep mentioning Cork, I'm not sure about JBM, but their football mgmt allow any player not in the starting fifteen for Sunday national league games to play club league games on each Saturday.

Waterford has one of the most pro hurling an anti football boards in the country. Anyone who thinks different would want to cop on.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Waterford County Board should be commended for giving some recognition to the club championships for once. It's rare that I'd be giving them any praise, but a few other counties will be looking on with interest.

Nationally, we're edging closer than ever to professionalism. Counties like Donegal have a setup more serious than the likes of Waterford could fathom, so serious that their manager was taken on by Glasgow Celtic.

However, that approach is causing a lot of unrest up there lately, as the clubs are being increasingly isolated from their players. At the request of the county management a recent round of county LEAGUE games were postponed at short notice.

This has caused a bit of a stir recently, and it's only a matter of time before Croke Park take a very hands on role with fixtures planning and team preparation. Donegal are an example of a county being held to ransom by a manager promising success. However, what's good for that manager at that particular time might not be in the overall good of the county in the long term. Waterford should know all about that following a succession of outside managers who bled us dry.

The county hurler and footballer is now not much different to the Munster or Leinster rugby player. They all technically belong to a home club, but this is mainly a symbolic gesture, and the clubs would do well to see the player once or twice every year. We're moving closer towards that.

People keep mentioning Cork, I'm not sure about JBM, but their football mgmt allow any player not in the starting fifteen for Sunday national league games to play club league games on each Saturday.

Waterford has one of the most pro hurling an anti football boards in the country. Anyone who thinks different would want to cop on.
    After a bad league campaign the preparation time for the county senior team is just not long enough. Its about time the county board takes responsibility for this mess. How the hell can you expect players liked Brick and Seamus Prendergast to be sharp after four club games on the trot? Players have to adjust from football to hurling as well. Also Seamus and Brick have a lot of mileage on the clock. Football is more physical than hurling and knocks more out of the body. Then there will only be two real weeks of full preparation for the full panel. We had a chance against Cork if preparation were adequate. Now???????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭redlead

All the petty squabling that goes on here just symbolises why nothing much ever comes of Waterford hurling. It goes on from the grassroots up to the top level. Absolute petty rubbish. Will it ever change? We are a county full of idiots!

redlead wrote: »
    All the petty squabling that goes on here just symbolises why nothing much ever comes of Waterford hurling. It goes on from the grassroots up to the top level. Absolute petty rubbish. Will it ever change? We are a county full of idiots!
    You probably have point. The first item on the agenda in any walk of life in Waterford is the split. I stand by my contention that the preparation time allowed to the county team is an insult. That's a decision of the county board not of the ordinary club members and fans. We are not all idiots. Eventhough you seem to think so!!! A lot of us don't want to see a return to hammerings at the hands of Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭redlead

You probably have point. The first item on the agenda in any walk of life in Waterford is the split. I stand by my contention that the preparation time allowed to the county team is an insult. That's a decision of the county board not of the ordinary club members and fans. We are not all idiots. Eventhough you seem to think so!!! A lot of us don't want to see a return to hammerings at the hands of Cork.
    I didn't say everyone is an idiot but we seem to have more than our fair share of them. I happen to agree with you on the training issue. What I do have issues with are:

1. The constant east v west rubbish that seems never ending. Sadly this issue does actually exist as evidenced by the gombeenisim within the county board

2. The gombeenisim within the county board

3. Blaming every manager we ever have with all our problems. Case in point is last years minor manager.

4. Players who have achieved nothing ousting a manager (and thinking they have right to) who was doing a decent enough job because he apparently isn't good enough for them.

5. Anyone who questions the decisions of Derek McGrath or the removal of Michael Ryan being called a "scully man" when they probably don't know him from Adam.

• Advertisement

I stand by my contention that the preparation time allowed to the county team is an insult.

I'll tell you what's an insult. Is telling club players who take their sport as serious as County players, that they will have to wait weeks on end during the summer for a decent game while the county players are wrapped in cotton wool in case they break a nail.

You can always tell the people on here that don't play the game themselves. They're the ones who jump on the bandwagon of the county teams for the odd the day out in summer. But no little about clubs or club players and who just don't give a s**t about them. After all that's what the GAA is all about, the elite!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement