Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

Cake Man wrote: »
    So how did that meeting in Dublin go, anyone at it? What was said by Derek and Dan?

Nothing to change the world it was good banter a few injokes, some reminiscing, and a request for funds. derek even threw a dig at muller for retiring saying he might be back .

about 70 turned out , the mahony's were there fergal hartley , and a table of lads i dont know with a helmet off and without a number some retired some still with us.

They put food on,, and had a free raffle, so i will be using my family pass on the skyline this summer :-) .

lad i got the train back came back with a hamper,smiles all round .

decided to contribute myself, hope others do too,

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

Nothing to change the world it was good banter a few injokes, some reminiscing, and a request for funds. derek even threw a dig at muller for retiring saying he might be back .

about 70 turned out , the mahony's were there fergal hartley , and a table of lads i dont know with a helmet off and without a number some retired some still with us.

They put food on,, and had a free raffle, so i will be using my family pass on the skyline this summer :-) .

lad i got the train back came back with a hamper,smiles all round .

decided to contribute myself, hope others do too,
    Good man Sean. I won two tickets to Sundays match in the raffle and made a contribution as well. Other notables there were William Maher - tall dark haired chap at the players table in the blue suit and red tie. And of course Stephen Frampton. Tom Cunningham is, shall we say, a less than impressive speaker.

zoPFKzh.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

So how did that meeting in Dublin go, anyone at it? What was said by Derek and Dan?

Just home from it and must say it was an the chairman of the committee explaining what the friends of Waterford hurling is about which is essentially a fundraising vehicle for the team. That was followed by a 30 minute presentation by Derek outlining the plans and processes that are being implemented for not only the 3 year term of the management team but the future of hurling in the county. The presentation included lots of info including player welfare, mentoring, personalised training programmes and tactics to name but a few and included match footage and analysis.

There followed a 10 minute break with platters of food served to the tables and a free raffle with 2 jerseys (one signed by the team) 2 large hampers, 3 pairs of tickets for the kk match and 2 pairs of family tickets for the croke park skyline tour (possible more prizes too). Flyers were handed out with options to set up monthly standing orders of 15, 25, 50 or a value of your own choosing. An option to make a once of payment via cheque was also included as well as donations on the night.

Dan and John then took questions from Oisin Langan for 20 mins and then questions from the floor for another 10 mins. Questions about the prospects of the team, Dan's involvement, proudest moments for each, the 2008 final, the minor win last year etc.

Also in attendance were Stephen Frampton, Fergal Hartley and Dave Bennett who are all lending support as well as Philip Mahony who is currently works in Dublin.

All in all a very enjoyable evening attended by 70-80 people. It was an honest refection of where the team is and what it will take to bring the process forward.

As I said there was a lot of information to take in and I've only touched on upon some of our but I for one will be setting up a standing order tomorrow.

Deise Abú

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Cheers lads. That standing order you mentioned, is that a donation or what do you get for it?

• Advertisement

Cheers lads. That standing order you mentioned, is that a donation or what do you get for it?

Donation. Access to training is the only thing I remember from a list of about 10 things but its more about helping fund the team than a "what do I get out of it" scenario. It should also be said that all money goes to the team fund.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

tonc76 wrote: »
    Donation. Access to training is the only thing I remember from a list of about 10 things but its more about helping fund the team than a "what do I get out of it" scenario. It should also be said that all money goes to the team fund.

Thanks tonc. Finally, how do you go about making a donation? What info is there on those flyers that were handed out?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

Thanks tonc. Finally, how do you go about making a donation? What info is there on those flyers that were handed out?

There is a friends of Waterford senior hurling web page

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Derek McGrath may be a good organiser and I hear great reports about the training sessions but my concerns about his tactical nous and ability to react to things during games were further deepened last Sunday. I had hoped that his two fellow selectors might make up the deficit but the signs aren’t good.

McGrath saying that it was a learning experience isn’t good enough. You wouldn’t see a juvenile coach making the mistakes he made last Sunday. Apart from not using a sweeper when Clare took over the midfield after ten minutes, his deployment of the team in the second half defied belief.
    We had the wind and gained control in midfield and the half back line, but still never once managed a goal threat. Our only ball-winning forward, Seamus Prendergast, was out on the wing rather than at the edge of the square. Maurice Shanahan, whose greatest strength is running at defences from the half forward line, was in the the corner. Time and again when the ball went in around the Clare goal area there were only one or two Waterford forwards and three or more Clare defenders. At one stage in the second half Stephen Molumphy sent in a ball from his own 45 metre line and the only player inside the Clare 45 metre line was a Clare defender, completely on his own 20 metres out from goal.

On a side issue, I am equally worried about MacDara Mac Donncha being a selector on the Under 21 team based on his commentary on TG4. He repeatedly talked about the Waterford defence being in trouble without mentioning that the real problem was further out the field. When Ray Barry was taken off he expressed surprise, saying that the real problem was in the defence which was ridiculous. Taking off Shane Fives first was like a junior hurling team taking off the corner forward when the team is being beaten up a stick out the field. It made no difference with Noel Connors instead getting the roasting that Fives had been getting in the face of perfect ball being played in from midfield where Clare had free reign.

Clare had complete control of the midfield area in the first half due to their greater urgency and physicality and the fact that they usually had several extra men in the area when the ball dropped, including Podge Collins who was untracked and did massive damage. Shane O’Sullivan and Jake Dillon hardly touched the ball after the first ten minutes, but O’Sullivan put in a good shift in the second half. Dillon was poor throughout and should have been substituted.

The Clare half backs repeatedly worked the ball to the midfielders who then drove the ball over the Waterford half backs taking them out of the game. The Clare players always looked up before striking the ball, whereas Waterford kept hitting the ball blind. The latter happens to a team that is under pressure. In the second half, when Waterford got on top, their passing and combination play was much better.

Clare have also figured out that goals are easy to come by if you have pacy players running into position and others aware enough to give them the ball. This is a major defect in Waterford’s forward play at the moment.

Apart from Clare’s excellent power play, Waterford did themselves no favours due to a very high error rate, including fumbles, poor ball control, misplaced passes, losing possession, balls given away and poor shooting. I counted 25 such errors in the first half alone. Things improved in the second half but 15 errors were still too much. Waterford could easily have got 25 or more points in this game.

Stephen O’Keeffe should have stayed on his line for the first two goals, which were hit from a narrow angle. He also hit a puckout straight to a Clare player who put it back over the bar. Ray Barry lacks the physicality to mix it at this level.

On the bright side, Tadhg Bourke again showed his great promise, Barry Coughlan looked handy enough and Maurice Shanahan made a big impression when he came on. Pauric Mahony also played well in the second half until he got injured. I felt sorry for Ryan Donnelly who got five clear scoring chances and only converted one. As they say, better to be making chances and missing them than not to be making them at all.

Davy was clearly out to bury Waterford, and Derek McGrath should have prepared them for the onslaught. The last thing we want is for the team to lose faith in his selections and tactical abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,804 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

what is the story with Tony Browne ???

We could be seeing Nowlan Park on the 30th as well as our relagation playoff/Quarter final could be played there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    what is the story with Tony Browne ???

Not a word. He hasnt announced his retirement anyway. I hope he hasnt just disintegrated out of the reckoning. But tbh should have just retired a couple years back

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

When is the team for Sunday to be named?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

Team named tonight after training in Carriganore at 7.30. Expect to see Shane Walsh in with a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 brianobarron

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback and attending last night. I've attached the brochure which has the Standing Order form on the back - if you post that to the BOI address on the form we'll look after the rest.
    Also our Bank account details are on that form for one off payments.
    100% of all monies go directly to the Senior Hurling Team.
    Find us on Twitter @Waterfordabu on Facebook Friendsofwaterford and our website is up but not fully operational http://waterfordhurlers.com/en

We'll be launching in Waterford and abroad soon so if you've any questions or comments the social media pages or email is easiest way to get us.
    Brian
    PRO.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Deise_abu

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Derek McGrath may be a good organiser and I hear great reports about the training sessions but my concerns about his tactical nous and ability to react to things during games were further deepened last Sunday. I had hoped that his two fellow selectors might make up the deficit but the signs aren’t good.

McGrath saying that it was a learning experience isn’t good enough. You wouldn’t see a juvenile coach making the mistakes he made last Sunday. Apart from not using a sweeper when Clare took over the midfield after ten minutes, his deployment of the team in the second half defied belief.
    We had the wind and gained control in midfield and the half back line, but still never once managed a goal threat. Our only ball-winning forward, Seamus Prendergast, was out on the wing rather than at the edge of the square. Maurice Shanahan, whose greatest strength is running at defences from the half forward line, was in the the corner. Time and again when the ball went in around the Clare goal area there were only one or two Waterford forwards and three or more Clare defenders. At one stage in the second half Stephen Molumphy sent in a ball from his own 45 metre line and the only player inside the Clare 45 metre line was a Clare defender, completely on his own 20 metres out from goal.

On a side issue, I am equally worried about MacDara Mac Donncha being a selector on the Under 21 team based on his commentary on TG4. He repeatedly talked about the Waterford defence being in trouble without mentioning that the real problem was further out the field. When Ray Barry was taken off he expressed surprise, saying that the real problem was in the defence which was ridiculous. Taking off Shane Fives first was like a junior hurling team taking off the corner forward when the team is being beaten up a stick out the field. It made no difference with Noel Connors instead getting the roasting that Fives had been getting in the face of perfect ball being played in from midfield where Clare had free reign.

Clare had complete control of the midfield area in the first half due to their greater urgency and physicality and the fact that they usually had several extra men in the area when the ball dropped, including Podge Collins who was untracked and did massive damage. Shane O’Sullivan and Jake Dillon hardly touched the ball after the first ten minutes, but O’Sullivan put in a good shift in the second half. Dillon was poor throughout and should have been substituted.

The Clare half backs repeatedly worked the ball to the midfielders who then drove the ball over the Waterford half backs taking them out of the game. The Clare players always looked up before striking the ball, whereas Waterford kept hitting the ball blind. The latter happens to a team that is under pressure. In the second half, when Waterford got on top, their passing and combination play was much better.

Clare have also figured out that goals are easy to come by if you have pacy players running into position and others aware enough to give them the ball. This is a major defect in Waterford’s forward play at the moment.

Apart from Clare’s excellent power play, Waterford did themselves no favours due to a very high error rate, including fumbles, poor ball control, misplaced passes, losing possession, balls given away and poor shooting. I counted 25 such errors in the first half alone. Things improved in the second half but 15 errors were still too much. Waterford could easily have got 25 or more points in this game.

Stephen O’Keeffe should have stayed on his line for the first two goals, which were hit from a narrow angle. He also hit a puckout straight to a Clare player who put it back over the bar. Ray Barry lacks the physicality to mix it at this level.

On the bright side, Tadhg Bourke again showed his great promise, Barry Coughlan looked handy enough and Maurice Shanahan made a big impression when he came on. Pauric Mahony also played well in the second half until he got injured. I felt sorry for Ryan Donnelly who got five clear scoring chances and only converted one. As they say, better to be making chances and missing them than not to be making them at all.

Davy was clearly out to bury Waterford, and Derek McGrath should have prepared them for the onslaught. The last thing we want is for the team to lose faith in his selections and tactical abilities.

After last Sundays performance I think we all have concerns regarding how slowly the sideline reacted, it was refreshing to hear Derek say last night that he had a meeting with some of the players on Tuesday night and actually held up his hand that mistakes were made on the line and that they froze for aperiod. In fairness he didn't specifically call it out as a learning experiencebut did say in no uncertain terms that they got a lesson.

I would have shared similar sentiments to yourself regarding how the team were setup in the second half, again last night Derek went some way to explaining the reasoning behind this, it may not have looked like it at times but there was a plan and it will need a few things to click before we see any benefit.A lot of what he talked about was basically forcing opposing defenses to loose there shape and commit players further out the field so once primary possession is gained space should exist inside. He also talked about the decision making onceprimary procession has been gained, identifying the presence of a sweeper infront of the opposing goal and taking the correct option to either take a point or let the ball in. So this is obviously heavily based on the Clare plan and Mullane in his own unique fashion asked Derek how do you counter act the current Clare plan, both Mullane and Derek were in agreement that you require your forwards to mark the Clare forwards once they roam into midfield or your own half backline.

All this was well and good, it showed me that Derek was very capable of breaking down the Clare game plan and how it could be potentially adopted or countered. The area he stopped short if outlining was his own plan, he is obviously adopting many of the Clare tactics based on what was outlined but did adhere to the fact that emulating this would not necessarily bring success, he briefly mentioned playing to our own strengths but never expanded on what these were in his opinion, this for me is the critical question. In fairness I would not expect him to be outlining his plan at a fund raiser but lets hope it exists given as you point out the hurler on the ditch would not see Seamus or Maurice strengths being utilized in the second half last week

In order to beat Clare or KK come championship time he will need to bring more to table then a game plan that Clare have perfected, there was a comment that you need to play them at their own game, which is fair enough but if you wantto beat them I believe on top of that he will need to bring something unique that makes otherteams deviate from their own game plan, patience may be required as rarely are big changes evolved in 1 year.

Any once off payments/cheques can be made payable to:
    Friends of Waterford
    Senior Hurlers, AIB Bank,
    Clonskeagh, Dublin 4.

Or Online:The Friends of Waterford Senior Hurlers - Account Number: 34969064, Sort Code: 93-11-87
    IBAN: IE02 AIBK 9311 8734 9690 64, BIC/SWIFT: AIBKIE2D

STANDING ORDER FORM - ATTACHED CAN BE POSTED TO
    Friends of Waterford
    Senior Hurlers,
    AIB Bank,
    Clonskeagh,
    Dublin 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Deise_abu

Is the Waterford Dublin supporters club being disbanded as a result of the creation of the Friends of Waterford group?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kkid

What are the Blaa thoughts on this Sunday?

• Advertisement

zoPFKzh.jpg?1

Tom is looking up for it. there on the right

STANDING ORDER FORM - ATTACHED CAN BE POSTED TO
    Friends of Waterford
    Senior Hurlers,
    AIB Bank,
    Clonskeagh,
    Dublin 4.
    You can also set up a STANDING ORDER online using our Bank Account details and save filing out the form.

And no we are alongside the Waterford Dublin Supporters Club in promoting Hurling in Waterford. The 2 groups are separate but complimentary.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback and attending last night. I've attached the brochure which has the Standing Order form on the back - if you post that to the BOI address on the form we'll look after the rest.
    Also our Bank account details are on that form for one off payments.
    100% of all monies go directly to the Senior Hurling Team.
    Find us on Twitter @Waterfordabu on Facebook Friendsofwaterford and our website is up but not fully operational http://waterfordhurlers.com/en

We'll be launching in Waterford and abroad soon so if you've any questions or comments the social media pages or email is easiest way to get us.
    Brian
    PRO.
    Deise_abu wrote: »

After last Sundays performance I think we all have concerns regarding howslowly the sideline reacted, it was refreshing to hear Derek say last nightthat he had a meeting with some of the players on Tuesday night and actuallyheld up his hand that mistakes were made on the line and that they froze for aperiod. In fairness he didn't specifically call it out as a learning experiencebut did say in no uncertain terms that they got a lesson.

I would have shared similar sentiments to yourself regarding how the teamwere setup in the second half, again last night Derek went some way toexplaining the reasoning behind this, it may not have looked like it at timesbut there was a plan and it will need a few things to click before we see any benefit.A lot of what he talked about was basically forcing opposing defenses to loosethere shape and commit players further out the field so once primary possessionis gained space should exist inside. He also talked about the decision making onceprimary procession has been gained, identifying the presence of a sweeper infront of the opposing goal and taking the correct option to either take a pointor let the ball in. So this is obviouslyheavily based on the Clare plan and Mullane in his own unique fashion askedDerek how do you counter act the current Clare plan, both Mullane and Derekwere in agreement that you require your forwards to mark the Clare forwards oncethey roam into midfield or your own half backline.

All this was well and good, it showed me that Derek was very capable ofbreaking down the Clare game plan and how it could be potentially adopted orcountered. The area he stopped short if outlining was his own plan, he isobviously adopting many of the Clare tactics based on what was outlined but didadhere to the fact that emulating this would not necessarily bring success, he brieflymentioned playing to our own strengths but never expanded on what these were inhis opinion, this for me is the critical question. In fairness I would not expect him to be outlining his plan at a fund raiser but lets hope it exists given as you point out the hurler on the ditch would not see Seamus or Maurice strengths being utilized in the second half last week

In order to beat Clare or KK come championship time he will need to bringmore to table then a game plan that Clare have perfected, there was a commentthat you need to play them at their own game, which is fair enough but if you wantto beat them I believe on top of that he will need to bring something unique that makes otherteams deviate from their own game plan, patience may be required as rarely are big changes evolved in 1 year.

He also said if you try and copy someone you can only be second best and to take something from everyone from the 2 meetings I can tell he takes inspiration from philosophy religion psychology , and other sports especially rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tramore84

tonc76 wrote: »

That's right - all money donated goes to fund the team. What a great evening - really enjoyed it, was surprised at the level of detail of Derek's analysis - eye opening stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Strong KK team for Sunday

E Murphy
    P Murphy JJ Delaney J Holden
    B Kennedy J Tyrrell C Buckley
    P Walsh R Hogan
    W Walsh C Fennelly H Shefflin
    JJ Farrell M Kelly E Larkin
    Subs
    D Herity T Keogh M Walsh C Fogarty T Walsh B Hogan K Joyce L Ryan R Power TJ Reid A Fogarty

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

KevIRL wrote: »
    Strong KK team for Sunday

E Murphy
    P Murphy JJ Delaney J Holden
    B Kennedy J Tyrrell C Buckley
    P Walsh R Hogan
    W Walsh C Fennelly H Shefflin
    JJ Farrell M Kelly E Larkin
    Subs
    D Herity T Keogh M Walsh C Fogarty T Walsh B Hogan K Joyce L Ryan R Power TJ Reid A Fogarty
    ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

The Waterford team to play Kilkenny in this Sunday's pivotal game was announced after training tonight.

Best of luck to all concerned and hope to see a large Deise support in Nowlan Park.

1. Stephen O'Keeffe Ballygunner

2. Tadgh de Burca Clashmore/Kinsalebeg

3. Shane Fives Carrigtwohill

4. Noel Connors Passage

5. Jamie Nagle Dungarvan

6. Michael Walsh Stradbally Captain

7. Philip Mahony Ballygunner

8. Kevin Moran De La Salle

9. Shane O Sullivan Ballygunner

10. Jamie Barron Fourmilewater

11. Pauric Mahony Ballygunner

12. Stephen Molumphy Ballyduff Upper

13. Maurice Shanahan Lismore

14. Brian O Sullivan Ballygunner

15. Jake Dillon De La Salle

Not too many surprises really

Am I right in thinking this could possibly be the last game before the munster chship?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

robopaddy wrote: »
    Waterford team:
    Sok, connors, fives, bourke, nagle, brick, mahony, moran, sully, barron, paudie, molumphy, shan, dillon, o'sullivan

Am I right in thinking this could possibly be the last game before the munster chship

No, one way or the other we have at least one more game (next weekend), either a relegation play off or a quarter final. Hopefully a quarter final (then a semi and final ;))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

forgetting the relagation play off
    :pac::pac::pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement