Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    better to be talking about it in March than in the Summer!

That's true but you would think a manager at intercounty level would have the know how to say "right we obviously have a problem and here's how we fix it" rather then spend 35 minutes just standing there and watching your team get absolutely destroyed.

It might have happened in this form this time and may not happen again in this exact same way as lessons hopefully have been learned but it could happen again in some way or other, that's the worry. If the management cannot react to another managers tactics then whats the point in us even having a manager? I'm not trying to be overly critical but when your team lets in 4-14 WITHOUT REPLY then something is seriously lacking in the tactical department and I'd be worried about the managers response time for the future.

Anyway hopefully it was a once off and wont happen again

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    better to be talking about it in March than in the Summer!

Absolutely, hopefully we'll be laughing about it come September! Stranger things have happened...

As it stands we're in the relegation game. If we get a win vs Kilkenny then Tipp are defo in the relegation game and could be joined by Kilkenny (which would be so good if it happened). If we get a draw and other results go against us we're still in the relegation game. If Tipp beat Dublin by less than 5... yeah calculators may well be needed.

quintain wrote: »
    Oh I'd say Ropaire would love to be talking about it in the summer as well !!

Excuse me for not accepting mediocrity from a panel that is capable of so much more :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Brick Walsh, Steven Daniels, Darragh Fives, Liam Lawlor, Brian O'Halloran, Shane Walsh, Richie Foley, Jamie Barron.......

When these lads are back on the panel I'll be very disappointed if there was another display like the one Sunday in Ennis.....Granted it was a terrible first half performance but they know now what to expect. Clare are setting the benchmark, fair enough it was a poor enough reaction by the management as Clare scored 4-14 without reply but when you look at the bench what could they have done? Maurice Shan is still not fit and Stephen Roche is only after making 3 inter county appearances for the Senior team. Barry Coughlan good defender, damage was already done by the time he made it onto the pitch. As I said already, it's March and we have the 8 lads above to come back and maybe Stephen Bennett

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

robopaddy wrote: »
    Just watched the recorded clare game as I missed it on sunday (albeit it fast forwarded through much of it). It really is a game which leaves us with more questions than answers. A couple of lads I think who were going well up until now were found out a bit. Next weekends team selection will be interesting as I think it will start to look a lot more like our championship team. Or should do anyway. But I think a lot of lads who havent featured in the league will come into the reckoning come the championship.
    I would think if liam lawlor and steven daniels are back fit they will be in contention for the full back line. Richie Foley and Brian O halloran aswell. Stephen Bennett will be thereabouts aswell given our lack of goalscoring options. Its good to have blooded some of the lads that we have but I think we saw on sunday some of them are a bit off championship pace yet. Because thats the mode clare were in for that first half.

1 bad game and u ready to drop most of the full back line , I thought De burke had a decent enough game considering the overall team performance and Fives has done little wong since nailing down a starting place last year, in truth the full back line we given very little cover much of the problems came from the middle third where Clare were coming through at pace ,
    Our lack of ball winners up front and our lack of vision/ movement are ultimately the main issues and while Stephan Bennet is a serious prospect he is still going to find it a big step up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭quintain

Ropaire wrote: »
    Excuse me for not accepting mediocrity from a panel that is capable of so much more :rolleyes:

Well if you're asking me to excuse you, you'll be disappointed. Your tone on here is sniping, cynical and unhelpful. We all know how disappointing Sunday was, but most of us are here to SUPPORT the current team, not be proven right on some stupid little point.

Derek and the boys left it behind them against tipp and after 2 great wins had a wreck of a day in Clare. You come on here banging on about Michael Ryan a year after the event.....grow up and move on.

The lads have a bloody tough task ahead of them on Sunday and the VERY least we can do is get behind them, not spout on here about the previous management team, with your smart ar$e tone about "learning experience", go on away with ye !

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I'd be very hesitant to blame any of the full back line for Sunday. When you have 60 yards of space in front you can't play from the front so you're in trouble against players of the pace of McGrath and O Donnell. Waterford needed to keep one player sweeping in front and any of the half back line would be comfortable in the role. I thought it very unfair to replace Shane Fives so early, he hadn't a chance with that defensive set up. Actually it reminded me a bit of Jerome Maher and Darragh Fives in the 2011 Munster Final.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 avonmore

Lads, just one thing.

For God's sake, please give Stephen Bennett a chance to breathe.

This stuff about Stephen being the panacea for all our troubles is just lazy analysis. The lad is only 19 years of age and has had two major hip operations.

The whole thing smacks of the s**te Flynner was put through from 1993 on.

Stephen, for all his brilliant qualities, isn't a quick fix and I have an idea that Derek and his team know that as well.#

We are a work in progress and patience is key.

quintain wrote: »
    Well if you're asking me to excuse you, you'll be disappointed. Your tone on here is sniping, cynical and unhelpful. We all know how disappointing Sunday was, but most of us are here to SUPPORT the current team, not be proven right on some stupid little point.

Derek and the boys left it behind them against tipp and after 2 great wins had a wreck of a day in Clare. You come on here banging on about Michael Ryan a year after the event.....grow up and move on.

The lads have a bloody tough task ahead of them on Sunday and the VERY least we can do is get behind them, not spout on here about the previous management team, with your smart ar$e tone about "learning experience", go on away with ye !

Jesus tonight, did i hurt your feelings? I wouldn't fancy being in the same half backline as a lad like yerself! Thanks for sayin i was proven right by the way, even if you didn't realise it :P

Anyway, the same players have to be given their game, esp in the fullback line. Dropping them now would totally slaughter their confidence and as its a 1 week turnaround they'll be better off in the longrun if they can get it out of their systems with a good showing against Kilkenny. Brick in at center back should offer some protection too. The big worry i'd have about actually winning the game is at the other emd of the field though, we don't look like scoring goals and we'll more than likely need one or two to put them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Couple of points i would like to make:

Our lack of goal threat has alot to do with the ability of some of our forwards to actually look up and see the fellas making the runs in the better positions. This has been a problem throughout our 3 games to date where i could name several examples of different players making quality runs but wrong options being taken the whole time.Compare this to the Clare forward line and their movements and decision making and it will show you why they're scoring so many goals.

Stephen Bennett will be at least another 6 weeks out with his injury. That means he will NOT be playing any part in the league or for the Cork game realistically. We will be doing well to have him right for the u21. And id say if his medical bill isn't paid we might be waiting longer to see him!! Crazy the pressure being put on this youngfella's shoulders and he not having played any game at this level yet.

Yes the management must take responsibility for Sunday,not placing at least one extra defender in the defense against the wind in the first half was criminal. Against what is a fabulous Clare team if you allow them space they will destroy you. Lessons definitely to be learned from it,thank god it was only March it happened in.

Finally it was lovely to hear Davy being as courteous as ever on Sunday when his side were 4.14 to 4 pts up he was shouting" Drive it in to the c**ts,we'll quieten them b*****ds once and for all". Classy as ever!! Long year there yet😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

If Davy is abusing other teams with language and names like that, how come it not been reported?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

First half on sunday was very depressing, but so be it, its gone and done, and hopefully we have learned from it, and how likely we have now got the swing from being potential All ireland winners,due to two wins against poor sides, to the world is ****ed type ****e after this current result, Yeah you would prefer not see it, but you learn more about your set up,players and yourself in defeat, even in the second half last sunday you saw guys with a bit of Character stand up and push on.
    I'll tell you what i took from it, tadgh burke, Shane fives and noel connors were hung out to dry, Shane fives was taken off, when it was clear that the problem stemmed from no cover to Jamie nagle , Kevin moran and to a lesser degree philip mahony and both midfielders being pulled all over the place and the ball that was going in to young o'donnell was almost posted in with stamps on it, he did not have to leave the ground 90% of the time and it was coming at pace[He is some talent, i thought it was hype after seeing the two previous games but he picks some angles, and he has some belief and stickwork],Now you get that ball and your home and hosed, nothing a relatively new full back line could do, i also thought putting jake [who looked either injured or over trained?] out midfield was crazy , thought so when i saw them lining up at the start, not that i question jakes work rate, seen enough of him over two/three years now to realise he works as hard as anyone, but he lacks pace his game is work and intelligence and against a wind, versus the All ireland champs at their home , put molumphy where you at least know he will break things up.
    Also our forwards were winning nothing and i mean nothing, ball going in wasnot great, but you still had two Clare men competing for every ball and really wanting it, Clare will take beating this year.
    Positives Tadgh Burke, Maurice shanahan and to a lesser extent Brian sullivan[still not sure about him], Soky could not be Blamed for any of the goals but his puck outs again , hitting the eye of a needle kind of stuff, but at least he had the balls to try, and a good wake up call for everyone else, you will find on sunday we will be much better, shows how important brick is, I think Shane fives has done enough to start again, i thoght Barry coughlan showed however there is a bit about him too, We need now to get all our injured players back, and then judge , as we were not just missing good hurlers but huge men interms of leadership and character, would not be too depressed, it happened and its gone, now off to beat kilkenny and its there for us, you know it is, and then we will see where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

Also can we not act so surprised , When our former manager is again caught on tape roaring an balling at the opposition ? , and just move on from this discussion , He was at it in Waterford and we had no problem with it untill we lost games and a leopard and all that, it really is very funny that certain people are still carrying that around, let it go, and than you'll come to the conclusion it really does not matter at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Also can we not act so surprised , When our former manager is again caught on tape roaring an balling at the opposition ? , and just move on from this discussion , He was at it in Waterford and we had no problem with it untill we lost games and a leopard and all that, it really is very funny that certain people are still carrying that around, let it go, and than you'll come to the conclusion it really does not matter at all.

I agree with you,it goes on the whole time at games but why i brought it to yer attention was just the fact of him coming out in to the public domain preaching about bullying etc and he goes on with this caper himself! I was behind him on Sunday listening to him and all i could do was laugh because even the Clare supporter beside me said he was embarrassed with the stuff he's at. He did actually want it known that Paul Kinnerk is the man behind these tactics,that he is the brain behind the tactics of counteracting the Kilkenny game style and that it would be worth seeing the training he does with them. They don't have hugh forwards or ball winners like ourselves but they did develop a style to suit the type player that they do have and it is a joy to watch and great credit is due to them. I would say they are probably 2 years ahead of us in terms of development and game plans so it is really up to us to do the same.
    It isn't going to happen overnight for us and there will be alot of bumps along the way but we're not that bad at all,we have a great bunch of players coming through in the next 2-3 years,hopefully management will have learned from last Sunday and lets see what the reaction will be from both players and management next Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭seananigans

anyone else at the dub thing tomorrow ? Be interesting to see Derek's analysis and the backlash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

anyone else at the dub thing tomorrow ? Be interesting to see Derek's analysis and the backlash

I'm going as was unable to make the last one in the red cow. It appears to be a fund raising initiative according to http://waterfordhurlers.com/en so will be interesting to see how it pans out.

cul beag wrote: »
    I agree with you,it goes on the whole time at games but why i brought it to yer attention was just the fact of him coming out in to the public domain preaching about bullying etc and he goes on with this caper himself! I was behind him on Sunday listening to him and all i could do was laugh because even the Clare supporter beside me said he was embarrassed with the stuff he's at. He did actually want it known that Paul Kinnerk is the man behind these tactics,that he is the brain behind the tactics of counteracting the Kilkenny game style and that it would be worth seeing the training he does with them. They don't have hugh forwards or ball winners like ourselves but they did develop a style to suit the type player that they do have and it is a joy to watch and great credit is due to them. I would say they are probably 2 years ahead of us in terms of development and game plans so it is really up to us to do the same.
    It isn't going to happen overnight for us and there will be alot of bumps along the way but we're not that bad at all,we have a great bunch of players coming through in the next 2-3 years,hopefully management will have learned from last Sunday and lets see what the reaction will be from both players and management next Sunday.

He used to embarrass us roaring and bawling on the sidelines as well, its intolerable the stuff he comes out with. Commentators and the majority of people seem to see him like a child acting up in a toy store and laugh it off cos he's no relation. Then the hypocritical stuff he comes out with in interviews after the match is hilarious after what went on before it. A Clare lad I was standing beside said something about him wearing a heart monitor at matches, which wouldn't surprise me looking at his antics.

Spot on in relation to finding a game plan and tactics that suit us as well, we're seeing a changing of the guard though and that might dilute how long it takes us to get a system in place that suits the personnel. Having said that we have a serious panel at the minute and although we're not at Clare's level we're definitely not 20 odds points worse than them, hopefully we get another pop at them come championship and we're better prepared for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭seananigans

tonc76 wrote: »
    I'm going as was unable to make the last one in the red cow. It appears to be a fund raising initiative according to http://waterfordhurlers.com/en so will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Silly location that, glad it was changed

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Deise_abu

Is there an entrance fee on the door Thursday night or just mandatory purchase of tickets for the Deise draw

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭enoughtaken

Deise_abu wrote: »
    Is there an entrance fee on the door Thursday night or just mandatory purchase of tickets for the Deise draw

No Entrance fee or mandatory purchase of deise draw ticket. Will post details of event later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tramore84

No Entrance fee or mandatory purchase of deise draw ticket. Will post details of event later.

Venue: Mont Clare Hotel (corner of Trinity College)
    Date : Thursday, March 20th
    Kick-off time: 7pm

Presentation by Derek McGrath (Waterford Senior Hurling Manager) and Q + A session with Dan Shanahan (team selector) and John Mullane.
    Oisin Langan of Newstalk will be MC for the evening.

All Deise supporters welcome. There will also be a raffle with some tasty prizes (including a tin of USA biscuits) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭enoughtaken

Invite Derek sent out
    All are welcome

Friends of Waterford Senior Hurlers

Dublin Launch
    I am delighted to personally invite you to a Friends of Waterford Senior Hurlers meeting:

WHEN: Thursday 20th March, 2014 @ 7pm
    WHERE: Yeats Room, Mont Clare Hotel, Dublin

RSVP: Please reply to this email to RSVP or email [EMAIL="derekmcgrath@waterfordhurllers?subject=Thursday%2029th%20March%2C%202014&body=RSVP%20to%20Dublin%20Launch%20of%20Friends%20of%20Waterford%20Senior%20Hurlers"]derekmcgrath@waterfordhurlers.com[/EMAIL]

We have a Q&A session with Waterford greats Dan Shanahan and John Mullane, chaired by Oisin Langan of Newstalk fame.

I will also personally outline in detail my own thoughts, plans and expectations six months into my new role as Waterford Senior Hurling Manager.

What is becoming more obvious to me daily is the huge hurling talent we have available to us here in the county. My job is to maximise this talent to ensure it achieves its full potential.

I look forward to you joining me on Thursday 20th March for what promises to be a great sporting evening and to outline how together we can be the difference for Waterford hurling.

I would also encourage that you invite as many friends and family to come along as well and please share across your social networks.

Best wishes,

Derek McGrath,
    Waterford Senior Hurling Manager

Friends_of_Waterford_FACEBOOK_LOGO.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25 fizzyboy

Is the game on TG4 on Sunday? I've been checking their website but it still doesn't say what games they are showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

Yes it is.. They tweeted someone the other day saying it was

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Just out of interest, is there any particular reason why its 'Friends of Waterford Senior Hurlers' rather than 'Friends of Waterford GAA' or even just 'Hurling'?

You're well entitled to set up your own club and do as you see fit by the way, no issue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

hardybuck wrote: »
    Just out of interest, is there any particular reason why its 'Friends of Waterford Senior Hurlers' rather than 'Friends of Waterford GAA' or even just 'Hurling'?

You're well entitled to set up your own club and do as you see fit by the way, no issue with that.

I would imagine its due to the fact the hurling(& Senior in particular)has a much larger following in the county than football and its always easier to collect money and gain support if its clear where it is going, would not think that there is a great deal of faith in the country board which in turn will not lead to much support, The minor/ development squads already undertake on their own fund raising initiatives and are always clear that the money is for the running of the squads and not just a general Waterford Gaa fund

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Deise189

fizzyboy wrote: »
    Is the game on TG4 on Sunday? I've been checking their website but it still doesn't say what games they are showing.
    Brad1234 wrote: »
    Yes it is.. They tweeted someone the other day saying it was

Is it live or deferred?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Deise189 wrote: »
    Is it live or deferred?

Live Waterford v Kilkenny
    Defered Tipp v Dubs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Cake Man

So how did that meeting in Dublin go, anyone at it? What was said by Derek and Dan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

hardybuck wrote: »

The team and manager are putting in the time and effort to raise money for the Senior Hurling team so I guess they are not making any bones about where the money is going. They have asked the Supporters club to help fund the training trip and in fairness are getting involved in fund raising as they know the county board doesn't have the cash to fund a senior Hurling campaign. If we are to have any hope of keeping up with other counties then we need to be able to provide the facilities that have become the norm.
    Have to give credit to Derek McGrath for the way he has got stuck into this from the emails/letters he has sent out to the supporters club

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement