Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you care about uniting Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

timthumbni wrote: »
    As a unionist it's something I wouldn't want. It only takes a look through a few posts to see why unionists are so against it.

If certain republicans on here are saying that "real Irishmen" want a united Ireland and use the term west Brit etc about people I assume are all Irish then what hope would there be for unionists? How would these uber republicans describe us in any new imaginary united ireland?

In fairness, if you look at the poll results - you can see most of us aren't headbanger lunatics

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭fartyarse

Methinks that you need to go back to school and learn your history.

And a bit of spelling too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

If there wasnt such an annoying bunch of extremists/scum on both sides with scant regard for life, there would probably be a much better chance of a united ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

Irishmen want a united Ireland , free staters and west brits want the status quo, no surprise with the poll results though

Irishmen want jobs, homes for their families, financial security, dependable healthcare, social lives, reliable cars on decent roads, holidays, a hot shower, nice clothes, clean underpants and a good night's sleep.

A united Ireland (island) is little more than totemistic, romantic nonsense. Should it happen it will ruin the dream for republicans everywhere. I used to be into the idea and think it was important but grew up. What is the point and what would be the tangible benefits?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dublinbhoy88

Methinks that you need to go back to school and learn your history.

Plenty of lies taught in schools

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

NinjaK wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/most-people-in-state-still-favour-a-united-ireland-but-don-t-expect-one-any-time-soon-1.1476386

There you go, told you boards doesnt represent the average Irishman/woman. Thankfully the majority still have some patriotism left in them.

So the average Irishman/woman is an Irish Times reader?
    Cause from what I can see, they only polled their own readers to get those results.

If there wasnt such an annoying bunch of extremists/scum on both sides with scant regard for life, there would probably be a much better chance of a united ireland
    very little murders nowadays thankfulky, seems to be more in Dublin than in the north

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Plenty of lies taught in schools

In the school you attended obviously.
    They appear to have taught you that the Free State is still in existance.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    A prime example how poll results can be skewed. The issue obviously DOES matter to a lot of people - just not in a positive fashion.

Sounds like a cowardly thing to say, so in the case where the majority of folk in NI felt like unification with the South you'd bury your in the sand because you're afraid of a few scumbags. Yep we can sign all the peace agreements down here, but when it comes to actually doing something the majority want - no thank you.

So if the majority of Nigerians wanted to move here we should let them?

Of course you're against that. is it because they're black? Or where they were born? Either way it's racist.

This is the Republic of Ireland. We get a say on who is let in. It's not cowardly to leave the ****hole that is NI by itself. They've spent the last 40 years blowing each other up, we don't want them. It's like giving the keys of your house to your scumbag neighbours who play crappy music at 5am in the morning and have screaming matches in their garden.

If they want in, they can grow the fcuk up and act like adults. But until that time, they can be someone elses problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Shenshen wrote: »
    So the average Irishman/woman is an Irish Times reader?
    Cause from what I can see, they only polled their own readers to get those results.
    No, they commissioned the poll but it was carried out by an independent market research company, I'd imagine (and hope) it was an accurate sample of the population and not simply a reader poll.
    An Irish Times/Ipsos MRBI poll last November shows a majority want a united Ireland and are prepared to pay more taxes for it, but don’t expect it to happen for a long time.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/most-people-in-state-still-favour-a-united-ireland-but-don-t-expect-one-any-time-soon-1.1476386

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

as someone who is regulary attacked on here for saying even vaguely pro Brit things, I'm amazed by the maturity of the responses in this thread.

On a PERSONAL level, I'd be perfectly happy to live either in the Republic as it is now, or in a United Ireland, (assuming that the Americans gave everyone a million $ to get really pissed together and get to get on!) but realistically I'm in the minority.

a Prod brit who's open minded enough to know that most of King Billy's merceneries were Catholic, and that if it wasn't for the presbyterians the Irish language would have been long dead......? and that while the Paras DID a completely loose the plot and shoot innocent folks at Bloody Sunday, I personally know a RUC officer at Altnagelvin Hospital who took a blast bomb from the pocket of one of the wounded protesters.....

Nah, there aren't many like me!

if there was an Irish and British government brave enough to try it there would be a massive strike in the North like in the 70s... still remember that one.... and a blood bath.

thing up here are a LOT more settled than they were for a LONG time,even with the fleggers but I reckon we would need 50 years of stability before a political unification would be possible.....

long enough for memories to fade and former terrorists (on both sides) to die off and get out of Government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

The idea of a united ireland is good but in practice it would be terrible. Ignoring that the majority of people living there want to remain as they are, the UK has to employ a lot of people in the public sector and pumps money into it. Unless you havent noticed we dont really have the money to afford this.

Then there are the people that had a hissy fit over a flag, the changes would of made them like the rest of the UK but they need to be able to tell they are in the UK at any moment or they get confused. Keeping this under control will cost money which again we dont have.

Parcel motel lets me get cheaper shipping to belfast and they send it on to me so having this available is handy for me.

Personally I have nothing to gain, taxes going elsewhere and having to pay more for shipping.

Say im not a true irishman all you want but i have achieved enough to be happy with myself so dont need to use which random rock I was born on to define me. Im assuming all these true irishmen play GAA 3 nights a week, can name every player from the past 10 years, play traditional irish music,are world renowned irish dancers, only eat food produced in ireland? Enjoy sticking a flag to your penis to swing around and compare but I have no interest in joining in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Grayson wrote: »
    So if the majority of Nigerians wanted to move here we should let them?

Of course you're against that. is it because they're black? Or where they were born? Either way it's racist.
    Stupid analogy. Or can you point out when we voted for a Good Friday type agreement with Nigeria?

In the school you attended obviously.
    They appear to have taught you that the Free State is still in existance.:D
    rebranded as a ' quasi republic',just a name change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Like a United Ireland.

Can see why lot of people dont in NI

Once there is peace and nobody hurt I dont care if New Zealand own it.

I think I'd prefer if New Zealand owned it, only because it's a more interesting country than the UK.

Fact is, it is stolen land, it should be ours, but do I think it's worth it? Nope. Time to burry the hatchet and move on. It'd do no good causing another war over 6 counties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

cantdecide wrote: »
    AN independent NI would be best at this stage.
    +1...I used to be all for a united, 32 county Ireland as a young, naive man, having gone through the hunger strike campaigns as an active member of the 'Youth Against H-Block' committee & being a former member of Na Fianna Eireann.

As I have aged & seen first hand the atrocities committed by both sides in the name of nationalism/loyalism, my youthful ardour for 'The Cause' has long since been replaced with give peace a chance FFS, if only for the sake of the up & coming generations so that they may know peace.

fartyarse wrote: »
    And a bit of spelling too...
    Not another spelling policeman, how nerdy, what an insult to a sectarian monarch with my 'rong speling'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

What could materialise in NI could be a Nationalist dominated state due to demographics yet still part of the UK due to the spectre of Unionist unrest and terrorism and the Dublin administration unwilling to take on the cost and hassle of reunification.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

The idea of a united ireland is good but in practice it would be terrible. Ignoring that the majority of people living there want to remain as they are, the UK has to employ a lot of people in the public sector and pumps money into it. Unless you havent noticed we dont really have the money to afford this.

Then there are the people that had a hissy fit over a flag, the changes would of made them like the rest of the UK but they need to be able to tell they are in the UK at any moment or they get confused. Keeping this under control will cost money which again we dont have.

Parcel motel lets me get cheaper shipping to belfast and they send it on to me so having this available is handy for me.

Personally I have nothing to gain, taxes going elsewhere and having to pay more for shipping.

Say im not a true irishman all you want but i have achieved enough to be happy with myself so dont need to use which random rock I was born on to define me. Im assuming all these true irishmen play GAA 3 nights a week, can name every player from the past 10 years, play traditional irish music,are world renowned irish dancers, only eat food produced in ireland? Enjoy sticking a flag to your penis to swing around and compare but I have no interest in joining in.

Sensible, even-handed post

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Skinnykenyan

Britain are mad into this self determination crap with Gibraltar and the Falklands so why not let the people of NI determine for themselves who they want to be. Give them a choice between staying in the union, reunification with Ireland or independent sovereignty. In an ideal world I'd have a reunified Ireland but it dosnt bother me either way.

It shouldn't come down to what the Irish or the Brits want. It should be a democratic decision which is upheld on both sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Stupid analogy. Or can you point out when we voted for a Good Friday type agreement with Nigeria?

It was never on offer. And if it was, we'd vote no.

And if part of the good friday agreement was that we'd have to take NI, we wouldn't have voted for it either. We voted on an agreement that gave us a vote at a later date. We never voted to merge with NI. And polls show that a majority of people in the republic never want to. So it will never happen.

It might if they could behave themselves.

But as someone pointed out, through their sectarianiam and hatred, they have separated themselves from both the average british person and the average irish person. Travelling up north is weird for most irish people. Once you get into towns and cities that have any kind of diverse population you see people with a seige mentality. Culturally, most irish people have more in common with the Scots,Welsh or even english than they do with Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

All they do up the North is annoy each other.
    All the politicians do is have meetings, discussions, meetings about discussions, discussions about meetings, talks, dialog, more meetings, and say the word "sitchy-A-chun" a load of times in every sentence.

It's a No from me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

The one reason I would like to see unification would be - how wonderful would it be to create a peaceful union of the two states/cultures after centuries of conflict, belligerence and intolerance. The North has been a stand-out example (along with Israel/Palestine) to the world of intractable, territorial tribal/religious conflict, so wouldn't it be nice for it to have a peaceful, equitable ending.

I know many are against it, but I'd wonder how much of that is a "I'm alright Jack" mentality. i.e. "I live on the peaceful side of the partition, who cares what happens to those on the other side as long as it doesn't affect me".

As regards how to craft such a state that both sides would accept, and to make such a state economically sustainable...... I'll get back to you. I'm just washing my hair....

What do you think will happen in the months following a united ireland?

you saw their reaction over a poxy flag
    one easy step at a time, they Will get over the fleg issue in time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I'm comforted by the fact that it's not going to happen in my lifetime, given that Shinners seem to be more pre-occupied with the latest Celtic jersey than worrying over unification

oldyouth wrote: »
    I'm comforted by the fact that it's not going to happen in my lifetime, given that Shinners seem to be more pre-occupied with the latest Celtic jersey than worrying over unification
    And sheep are more concerned with their EPL red rags

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I would much rather that North and South are seperate and the people on both sides of the border can live in peace.

The truth of the matter is that nationalists in the Republic get very worked up about a united Ireland, while Nationalists in the North are unlikely to accept our economy, health service, infrastructure, taxation, gombeen politicians etc if it ever gets offered to them.

And sheep are more concerned with their EPL red rags

No idea what that is :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

a passport is just a piece of plastic document to move around imaginary lines around the globe

So, why are "Real" Irishmen concerned about "imaginary" lines on "stolen" land, when all that's going to tie it to them is piece of paper stipulating an imaginary line on a globe?

Advertisement