Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you care about uniting Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

wesf wrote: »
    At this stage I couldn't care if it broke off and floated over to the UK.

Bet the UK wouldn't mind if it floated off tn the far side of Iceland.Who the hell wants to deal with the bitterness,hatred and pettyness of the place.I mentally switch off as soon as I hear the words Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Irishmen want a united Ireland
    NinjaK wrote: »
    Thankfully the real Irishman isnt represented on boards.ie,.

I assume Irishwomen are too busy boiling bacon and cabbage and darning pinafores to have an opinion on reunification?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

A prime example how poll results can be skewed. The issue obviously DOES matter to a lot of people - just not in a positive fashion.
    Foxhound38 wrote: »
    It's not just the currency and police uniform that we'd be sharing - we would also likely be sharing the burden of their bloated public sector, not to mention their "security situation"...

As much as a civil war with multitudes of enraged fleggers (who at that point would be in full mayhem mode) sounds both fun and like something we can afford right now, I think I'll pass if it's all the same...
    Sounds like a cowardly thing to say, so in the case where the majority of folk in NI felt like unification with the South you'd bury your in the sand because you're afraid of a few scumbags. Yep we can sign all the peace agreements down here, but when it comes to actually doing something the majority want - no thank you.
    crockholm wrote: »
    When I was younger I did,but no longer.To the point where I could understand how an Irish Government would baulk at the thought of re-unification.Strange to say,but what little interaction I have had with "Nordies",I much preferred my time with the Unionists,a better class of people going on my limited experience.
    Disgusting statement
    wesf wrote: »
    At this stage I couldn't care if it broke off and floated over to the UK.
    Geography (political and physical) fail.
    ronan45 wrote: »
    I was told by a teacher in Secondary School that if the UK was to hand over the north to the republic it would cripple our country?!? Is that true?
    Ie to pay their welfare.. public sector etc...
    The reason why the Irish Government dont really want the north is that reason. Is there any truth in that?
    Excuse doesn't wash. There's lots of areas within this country that are heavily subsidised and expensive to run. Should we also drop the West of Ireland because we can't afford it either?

Tbh, I wish teachers would have a better grasp at teaching economics, accounting and business studies - since it is partially a poor understanding of these that has "crippled" us in recent times, not some hypothetical reunion with the North.
    LordSutch wrote: »
    Do I care about a united Ireland? No not really, specially as most folk in Northern Ireland don't want to leave the UK.
    Just an honest question, how would Unionists feel in the unlikely event of Scotland leaving the UK? Obviously there's a lot of links between Scotland and NI. Would it be as equally accepted as NI being separate from the rest of Ireland here, or would people care about uniting the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Irishmen want a united Ireland , free staters and west brits want the status quo, no surprise with the poll results though

Lol. Wondered how long it would take for some neanderthal to come out with the 'west brit' thing. Username says it all. Celtic fan not even old enough to remember the murders and massacres

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What is Ireland anyway? Does it really matter how much land we have? Nationalism is a created idea, that somehow because we all live in the same island we all have to be part of the same thing.

With globalisation is nationality really a thing anymore?

lets say we achieve a united Ireland, then what? What difference will it actually make to the day to day lives of normal people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Irishmen want a united Ireland , free staters and west brits want the status quo, no surprise with the poll results though

Are you this lad by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Lol. Wondered how long it would take for some neanderthal to come out with the 'west brit' thing. Username says it all. Celtic fan not even old enough to remember the murders and massacres

How bout for six months of the year the UK could have it , ourselves for the remaining six months and every Leap year we could maybe give it the French , Polish , Israeli's, anyone who's interested .

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭claypigeon777

Why would a guy or girl from Cork want to be a Garda or Irish Defence Forces members patrolling a loyalist area of Northern Ireland and in danger of a gun or bomb attack?
    The loyalists would undoubtedly fight against unification and we would have blood bath on our hands as loyalists and republicans threw themselves at each other all over again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

a passport is just a piece of plastic document to move around imaginary lines around the globe

Imaginary lines such as the border between NI and the republic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Just an honest question, how would Unionists feel in the unlikely event of Scotland leaving the UK?

Big (massive) question for another day.

• Advertisement

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Sounds like a cowardly thing to say, so in the case where the majority of folk in NI felt like unification with the South you'd bury your in the sand because you're afraid of a few scumbags. Yep we can sign all the peace agreements down here, but when it comes to actually doing something the majority want - no thank you.

What majority? The majority of the people in Northern Ireland wish to remain in the UK - every poll to date has shown that. I have no wish to force these people to join our grand republic against their will - that's lunacy.

As for the fleggers - it's not a question of being afraid of them, it's a matter of not wanting to deal with the hassel. So lets say a UI happens, and the loyalists start causing bloody mayhem - we have to spend what scarce resources we have tooling up the DF and Gardai to stomp on them before another Troubles happens. And for what? Some romantic notions of manifest destiny? To paint the nordie postboxes green?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur.

While it's a nice idea, I really don't think it would be worth the hassle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dublinbhoy88

which murders, the ones carried out by the free state army or British army or the IRA?

which murders, the ones carried out by the free state army or British army or the IRA?

Tell us about the ones you remember that the free state army committed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

NinjaK wrote: »
    Thankfully the real Irishman isnt represented on boards.ie, as an Irish man who knows his history then of course I want a United Ireland. All stolen land should be returned.

No true Scotsman Irishman

mattjack wrote: »
    Tell us about the ones you remember that the free state army committed ?
    you ever here of the civil war, after Ireland was partioned on religious ground, a sectarian partition

you ever here of the civil war, after Ireland was partioned on religious ground, a sectarian partition

:pac: give over , will ya ?
    Next you'll be rattlin' on about leprechauns and Fairy forts.

Yeah, that sounded like great craic when you read about it in school did it?

What a great idea it would be to unite the island for literally no good reason and have another one of those, eh? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I dont see any point in a UI at all. The only reason some people want it is for purely romantic reasons. Some people seem to believe that once we get a UI everything will be rosy and we'll live happily ever after when the reality would probably be a lot different.

There doesnt seem to be much appetite for it on this island excluding a vocal minority in any case and i can't ever see it happening now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

We already have 32 County GAA and an all island rugby team. What more do we need?

Yeah like an all Ireland soccer team will make a difference...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Not a big fan of civil wars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Lol. Usual crap from the usual underclass. I condemn all murders and massacres. I dont pick and choose which ones i prefer. And whats the freestate? Jesus wept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

In that they represent the views of Irishmen and Irish women

The "Free State" and it's institutions has not existed since 1937.

mattjack wrote: »
    :pac: give over , will ya ?
    Next you'll be rattlin' on about leprechauns and Fairy forts.
    Living in denial of the truth, typical 'free state ostrich mentality'.. Heads buried in the sand with their feathered arses pointing towards Ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

As a unionist it's something I wouldn't want. It only takes a look through a few posts to see why unionists are so against it.

If certain republicans on here are saying that "real Irishmen" want a united Ireland and use the term west Brit etc about people I assume are all Irish then what hope would there be for unionists? How would these uber republicans describe us in any new imaginary united ireland?

Methinks that you need to go back to school and learn your history.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

anncoates wrote: »
    lol

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/most-people-in-state-still-favour-a-united-ireland-but-don-t-expect-one-any-time-soon-1.1476386

There you go, told you boards doesnt represent the average Irishman/woman. Thankfully the majority still have some patriotism left in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Living in denial of the truth, typical 'free state ostrich mentality'.. Heads buried in the sand with their feathered arses pointing towards Ulster

What do you think will happen in the months following a united ireland?

you saw their reaction over a poxy flag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    What majority? The majority of the people in Northern Ireland wish to remain in the UK - every poll to date has shown that. I have no wish to force these people to join our grand republic against their will - that's lunacy.

As for the fleggers - it's not a question of being afraid of them, it's a matter of not wanting to deal with the hassel. So lets say a UI happens, and the loyalists start causing bloody mayhem - we have to spend what scarce resources we have tooling up the DF and Gardai to stomp on them before another Troubles happens. And for what? Some romantic notions of manifest destiny? To paint the nordie postboxes green?
    So you're prepared to follow the wishes of the folk in NI now because it suits your political leanings but in the case (I'll bold that since you seem to have missed it the first time) of the majority voting for UI you wouldn't care about those wishes anymore.

As for 'fleggers', who says that these will necessarily be the Union Jack waving type - say the UI flag was changed from the tricolour? Anyway it is not the Gardaí's job to pick their policing to suit a budget. And what makes you think we'll be "stomping" on them before another Troubles happened - that course of action was attempted before and it proved unsuccessful.

As for myself, I'd like to see a UI (for many of the same reasons many prefer a UK). I think we'd be much stronger economically, regardless of what many might say. I reckon NI could make a much stronger impact if it were forced to actually contribute as a major part of this country, rather than depending on handouts from a British govt it will never make any meaningful difference to. I also don't see people up there as being fundamentally different to us here, no more so than an inner-city Dub and someone from West Kerry.

However I do accept that the majority wish to remain part of the UK, that's OK I can live with that, but it still doesn't mean that I should stop caring about the welfare of people born closer to me than many other areas on this island. Statements like "cut them loose and let NI float away" are stupid, pointless and bring nothing to the debate.

Advertisement