Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you care about uniting Ireland?

Options
  • 15-08-2013 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭

Is uniting the island an aspiration you would view as a priority, or is it something you care about at all?

If so, why? If not, why not?

Personally I couldn't give a fiddlers if NI remains in the UK - tbh, I can see a lot of downsides to forcing the sectarian quagmire up there to become our problem (I say force, because poll after poll indicates the vast majority of people up there wish to remain with the UK) and very, very few upsides.

As long as there is an open border and nobody is getting their civil rights disrespected up there, I'm happy with the status quo...

Does a United Ireland matter to you? 237 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 237 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Likewise. They're welcome to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Not bothered. With the bitter attitudes of both sides I think we are as well off as we are.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I'm not Irish myself, but I've lived here a good few years now.
    I honestly can't see what the upsides of a united Ireland would actually be. As I understand, human rights are respected in NI just as they are in the republic (potentially more so in some cases), there's a border that is so open it's pretty much theoretical... is sharing a currency and police uniform really that important?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Like a United Ireland.

Can see why lot of people dont in NI

Once there is peace and nobody hurt I dont care if New Zealand own it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Only if its what the majority want, even if it is the loyalists will resort to whatever means neccessary to stop it, perhaps another covenent.
    I'm satisfied enough to keep the border there so long as anyone who identies as Irish isnt treated like a second class citizen. Unfortunately that has been the case for most of NIs history and events of last year have shown an apartheid mentality still exists in Loyalism but I'm hopeful in time a peaceful arrangement can be made and Loyalism accepts its a bi-culture society

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I specifically do not want a united Ireland, let the UK deal with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'm not Irish myself, but I've lived here a good few years now.
    I honestly can't see what the upsides of a united Ireland would actually be. As I understand, human rights are respected in NI just as they are in the republic (potentially more so in some cases), there's a border that is so open it's pretty much theoretical... is sharing a currency and police uniform really that important?

It's not just the currency and police uniform that we'd be sharing - we would also likely be sharing the burden of their bloated public sector, not to mention their "security situation"...

As much as a civil war with multitudes of enraged fleggers (who at that point would be in full mayhem mode) sounds both fun and like something we can afford right now, I think I'll pass if it's all the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

When I was younger I did,but no longer.To the point where I could understand how an Irish Government would baulk at the thought of re-unification.Strange to say,but what little interaction I have had with "Nordies",I much preferred my time with the Unionists,a better class of people going on my limited experience.

Let it stay within the Union,best for all of us IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Two hundred years ago was the time for a united ireland, that boat has long since sailed.

If 100% of the people wanted it yes, but that's never gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

No interest at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

I was told by a teacher in Secondary School that if the UK was to hand over the north to the republic it would cripple our country?!? Is that true?
    Ie to pay their welfare.. public sector etc...
    The reason why the Irish Government dont really want the north is that reason. Is there any truth in that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Do I care about a united Ireland? No not really, specially as most folk in Northern Ireland don't want to leave the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

It's a shame we aren't united but it's gone too far at this stage. And now would be the worst time ever to try and unite us. I'd say leave it be, just keep impoving relations and stuff.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

ronan45 wrote: »
    I was told by a teacher in Secondary School that if the UK was to hand over the north to the republic it would cripple our country?!? Is that true?
    Ie to pay their welfare.. public sector etc...
    The reason why the Irish Government dont really want the north is that reason. Is there any truth in that?

There might be some truth to that. As I understand it, the UK is pouring substantial amounts of subsidies into NI, and with the Irish budget the way it is at the moment I somehow doubt it wouldn't buckle under the additional load.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

AN independent NI would be best at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

At this stage I couldn't care if it broke off and floated over to the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Absolutley not.
    Cannot think of a single social or economic benifit to a UI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

wesf wrote: »
    At this stage I couldn't care if it broke off and floated over to the UK Britain.

Fixed that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Awaits the shinnerbot mobilisation ............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

In a romantic sense, before rational thought, it would be nice.

On consideration of the logistics of taking that moribund civil service state off the tit of the British exchequer and absorbing it into our own debt-ridden economy?

And the hassle and cost of dealing with the lumpen Loyalist class?

No.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Shakakan

It matters.

I don't think there should be a United Ireland.

In terms of personality, the people in NI have nothing in common with us here in the Republic anymore. We're more similar to Welsh, Scottish and English than anyone else, but the Northies have a personality unto themselves.

They're all, like, sooo intense.

blar blar blarrr norn iron....
    Just relax man will ya

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Thankfully the real Irishman isnt represented on boards.ie, as an Irish man who knows his history then of course I want a United Ireland. All stolen land should be returned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

NinjaK wrote: »
    Thankfully the real Irishman isnt represented on boards.ie,

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,520 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

All stolen land should be returned.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

No, let it be independent or part of the UK, no use to us except as some useless political exercise. Also, there'd be another Troubles if we were united again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Shakakan

Thankfully the real Irishman isn't represented on boards.ie....

Are we just imaginary Irishmen or our opinions don't count? Is democracy open to real Irishmen only?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Thankfully the real Irishman isnt represented on boards.ie, as an Irish man who knows his history then of course I want a United Ireland. All stolen land should be returned.

*checks passport*

Yep, still Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

anncoates wrote: »
    In a romantic sense, before rational thought, it would be nice.

On consideration of the logistics of taking that moribund civil service state off the tit of the British exchequer and absorbing it into our own debt-ridden economy?

And the hassle and cost of dealing with the lumpen Loyalist class?

No.

I'd be the same. Heart says yes but head says no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dublinbhoy88

Shakakan wrote: »
    Are we just imaginary Irishmen or our opinions don't count? Is democracy open to real Irishmen only?
    Irishmen want a united Ireland , free staters and west brits want the status quo, no surprise with the poll results though

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dublinbhoy88

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    *checks passport*

Yep, still Irish
    a passport is just a piece of plastic document to move around imaginary lines around the globe

Advertisement