Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you care about uniting Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

As usual there's a lot of ignorance and/or willful misrepresentation of what is meant by a united Ireland going on here.
    It is not a 32 county free state. It's a brand new republic, with change all over, a chance for all the people of the nation to get together and build the country we want to see.
    Economic stabs in the dark about "we cant afford it" are empty and pointless becaase the fact is the proper research has not been done into what it would or wouldnt cost.
    Obviously, it would be a process that would take place over a period of years, it's not just going to happen one morning so all this hysteria about there suddenly being 100,000 unemployed civil servants is stupid. If anything else one of the advantages of a UI would be allowing us to streamline services and do something about the bloated public sector in the north. How this would be done I cant say exactly, possibly in phases including voluntary redundancies, retirements and recruitment freezes but what I do know is that a load of people wont just be fired and shipped over to the dole office.
    As well as stamping out all the idiotic duplication we have on the island a UI also provides a wealth of exciting opportunities to improve the country. For one thing it would allow us to address the stupid positioning of hospitals, schools, police stations etc... whereby people in the north are closer to one in the south but cant use it and vice versa.
    It would also be a big help to SMEs, particularly in border area, who often complain of the cost and complications caused by attempting to operate across two jurisdictions.
    It would be an endless assistance to our biggest industry, agri-food, which is constantly being held back by the border wether its in terms of disease control, pricing or exports.
    There's a huge number of reasons it could make life better for people, I cant go into them all but the general idea would seem to be wouldnt it be better to have the whole island working together to attract business/investment/tourism etc... rather than having two jurisdictions competing against each other.

As I say, those are just some musings, I dont have all the answers, nobody does and some proper research is needed before people go spouting their "facts" about what a UI would cost/mean/result in.

MOST importantly of all, and I cant stress this enough, it would mean 02 would no longer have an excuse to lubelessly bum rape me every time I tried to use my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Absolutely last thing on earth I could possibly give a **** about.

Don't want or need either sides hatred and bigotry down here.

Aye, seems like you have enough hatred of your own to be dealing with

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dublinbhoy88

I'm not the one trying to create standards for what makes people Irish. I know i'm Irish and don't feel a need to prove my Irishness to anyone.

There's nothing wrong with it. It's Celtic fans who deem that following Celtic makes them somehow more Irish i have a problem with.
    never heard a celtic fan saying that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

never heard a celtic fan saying that

Funny that, given you were criticising people only a few pages ago for supporting EPL teams.

Absolutely last thing on earth I could possibly give a **** about.

Don't want or need either sides hatred and bigotry down here.
    plenty of bigotry down here against travellers, black people and muslims

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭ONeill2013

the amount of threads on this topic is getting ridiculous.

No I don't particularly care as what's the point in caring about something that may not happen until 2 or 3 generations down the line?
    As long as people don't call me Northern Irish I am ok with the way things are.

Economically life is grim on both sides of the border, life in the UK doesn't make getting jobs any easier.

Funny that, given you were criticising people only a few pages ago for supporting EPL teams.
    how did i criticise them, its football rivalry, its competitive, but most of these epl fans here stick two fingers up at the english national team when they are playing, which is odd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Reading posts by the likes of dublinbhoy makes me not want a united ireland. I would in general, welcome ui, provided there is no bloodshed, murder, sectarianism etc. But it seems that the people who do want it are the most backward, sectarian people who dont care that innocent lives have been lost, yet all the while screaming about equal rights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

if you dont know why irish people support celtic you obviously know zero about football

Celtic actively promote the whole Irish link to help sell jerseys to internet republicans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

how did i criticise them, its football rivalry, its competitive, but most of these epl fans here stick two fingers up at the english national team when they are playing, which is odd

You described them as sheep in red rags, hardly a compliment.

• Advertisement

You described them as sheep in red rags, hardly a compliment.
    ive heard them call celtic fans a lot worse

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Exactly. We've got enough of it already without adding Loyalist and Provo types to the mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭ONeill2013

crockholm wrote: »
    When I was younger I did,but no longer.To the point where I could understand how an Irish Government would baulk at the thought of re-unification.Strange to say,but what little interaction I have had with "Nordies",I much preferred my time with the Unionists,a better class of people going on my limited experience.

Let it stay within the Union,best for all of us IMO

your experiences have definitely been limited, try branching out and mingle with the nationalists and you'll realise we are not all the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bullhits

Reading posts by the likes of dublinbhoy makes me not want a united ireland. I would in general, welcome ui, provided there is no bloodshed, murder, sectarianism etc. But it seems that the people who do want it are the most backward, sectarian people who dont care that innocent lives have been lost, yet all the while screaming about equal rights

In a UI, I'd have as much of a problem with Unionists as I do currently with British people who live in the 26 counties, i.e. no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

This song's for all you armchair republicans out there

oldyouth wrote: »
    Celtic actively promote the whole Irish link to help sell jerseys to internet republicans
    How dare a football club have an identity

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    This song's for all you armchair republicans out there
    have ya got one for the armchair west brits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭justforlaugh

no to uniting Ireland, not worth the hassle...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

have ya got one for the armchair west brits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

if you dont know why irish people support celtic you obviously know zero about football

its the go to team for republican bigots?? It cant be because of the quality of their football , a mediocre team in a really sh1t league...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Dont forget Dubs

• Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If the two did unite, would what are now UK taxpayers become liable for helping to pay off Ireland's massive national debt of which they played absolutely no part in creating?

How could this be sold to them in a positive light?

returnNull wrote: »
    its the go to team for republican bigots?? It cant be because of the quality of their football , a mediocre team in a really sh1t league...
    who the team for west brits bigots, Liverpool , united?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

who the team for west brits bigots, Liverpool , united?

People don't support Liverpool or United for political reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

awec wrote: »
    If the two did unite, would what are now UK taxpayers become liable for helping to pay off Ireland's massive national debt of which they played absolutely no part in creating?

Did West Germany object to reunification on the basis of the cost of the failings of Communism in the East?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bullhits

awec wrote: »

As opposed to paying off Britain's national debt? :pac: The taxes are paid by those in the six counties would effectively cover part of the cost of running the six counties because they run at a deficit.

People don't support Liverpool or United for political reasons.
    so Irish epl fans never spew out bigotry against travellers Muslim and black people, I hear it all the time... So its pot and kettle

• Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

bullhits wrote: »
    As opposed to paying off Britain's national debt? :pac: The taxes are paid by those in the six counties would effectively cover part of the cost of running the six counties because they run at a deficit.

The national debt per head in the UK is significantly lower than Ireland.

The 6 counties run at a significant deficit. Can Ireland maintain that? The deficit won't magically disappear in unification.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

It would be great to see it in my lifetime. But, I don't think we could handle the chaos that would come with it as effectively as the lads running things up there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

Not in the slightest. I`ve no emotions or feeling about it either way. I see patriotism as a strange state of mind as your place of birth is accidental/co-incidental and nothing to be either proud or ashamed of.

I see no reason to fight over invisible borders when both Ireland and England are relatively free countries with first world living standards that people are free to travel, work and live in either.

Advertisement