Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you care about uniting Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

so Irish epl fans never spew out bigotry against travellers Muslim and black people, I hear it all the time... So its pot and kettle

What? Probably. Some of them may also be travellers, black, gay, Muslim or even Jedi ****ing knight.

Some may be left handed or short sighted.

None of which has anything to do with them supporting an epl team.

Someone who claims to be a true Irishman and supports a Scottish football team, yet calls someone who supports an English team a west brit is definitely a hypocrite though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bullhits

awec wrote: »
    The national debt per head in the UK is significantly lower than Ireland.

The 6 counties run at a significant deficit. Can Ireland maintain that? The deficit won't magically disappear in unification.

The six counties run at a deficit and that presents a significant challenge in integrating the six counties, but as mentioned by myself and others above, there are economic benefits to the restructuring and a majority in the 26 counties would pay extra taxes to support the unification.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dublinbhoy88

What? Probably. Some of them may also be travellers, black, gay, Muslim or even Jedi ****ing knight.

Some may be left handed or short sighted.

None of which has anything to do with them supporting an epl team.

Someone who claims to be a true Irishman and supports a Scottish football team, yet calls someone who supports an English team a west brit is definitely a hypocrite though.
    west brits is an anglophillic term, not Scots.So you are trying to deny Irish epl are not bigots?

bullhits wrote: »
    The six counties run at a deficit and that presents a significant challenge in integrating the six counties, but as mentioned by myself and others above, there are economic benefits to the restructuring and a majority in the 26 counties would pay extra taxes to support the unification.

There are even more economic benefits to Ireland rejoining the UK.

• Advertisement

west brits is an anglophillic term, not Scots.So you are trying to deny Irish epl are not bigots?

I'm not trying to deny anything, merely that you are talking bollocks.

Why is it acceptable to support a Scottish team, but not an English one?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You are portraying yourself as a bigot, is it only a bad thing when you are able to eliminate yourself because you support a team that plays in a different nations league?

There are even more economic benefits to Ireland rejoining the UK.

Haha good one :pac:

You are portraying yourself as a bigot, is it only a bad thing when you are able to eliminate yourself because you support a team that plays in a different nations league?
    Bigot... When did I abuse people of a different religion or race,keep your own bigotry ti yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I personally know a RUC officer at Altnagelvin Hospital who took a blast bomb from the pocket of one of the wounded protesters.....

He's a liar and people like him are the reason the sectarian vipers nest that was the RUC was effectively disbanded.

• Advertisement

I'm not trying to deny anything, merely that you are talking bollocks.

Why is it acceptable to support a Scottish team, but not an English one?
    I never said was it wasn't accepable,each to their,you can't start pointing the finger of bigotry at Celtic fans without expecting it back.

OSI wrote: »
    It's a bigoted term in my view. Quite ironic given your posts in this thread.
    so saying the Irish Scots English is an act of bigotry now.. Jesus wept

I never said was it wasn't accepable,each to their,you can't start pointing the finger of bigotry at Celtic fans without expecting it back.

Lol.

I haven't called you a bigot. You were claiming to be a true Irishman and claiming people that support English football teams were less Irish than you, yet you too support a British team.

So Are you a west brit as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

ultimately i think its the only longterm solution, and there'll never be true peace on this island until a UI is realised.

will it happen in my lifetime though? i don't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Bigot... When did I abuse people of a different religion or race,keep your own bigotry ti yourself

It's not going to be solely based on Race/Religion/Sex. It's whatever you use to associate and identify people and then judge against everyone you can lump into that box. Which you appear to be doing. You are spouting abuse stereotypically towards a grouping of people on the basis of labelling you apply to identify them with a very weak connection, such as which team they support, or which league/nation a range of teams they support is from. That is the very essence of being bigoted.

OSI wrote: »
    I will in my arse pay more taxes to support unifaction. I'm already planning on leaving this country because of the excessive taxes.
    Swings and roundabouts. I'll be moving back to Ireland where I'll pay less tax than I am currently.

Who says what?

I never said SF represented the views of the majority in the republic.

keep your own bigotry to yourself

keep your own bigotry to yourself

Ehm... you've responded to me on that post already. You appear to have missed my more expressive commentary in reply. Or do you not know what Bigotry is?

• Advertisement

It's not going to be solely based on Race/Religion/Sex. It's whatever you use to associate and identify people and then judge against everyone you can lump into that box. Which you appear to be doing. You are spouting abuse stereotypically towards a grouping of people on the basis of labelling you apply to identify them with a very weak connection, such as which team they support, or which league/nation a range of teams they support is from. That is the very essence of being bigoted.
    Do you attack posters who brand Celtic fans scum and bigots.. Or are you bigoted in your criticism?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

He's referring to an Irish Times/Ipsos poll last year/earlier this year which found a majority of people in the south want a UI, the numbers of those opposed to it had shrunk and that a majority of people would be willing to pay more to make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

A perfect example of what I was talking about earlier. Utter uninformed baseless crap that people spout as if it were fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

add more counties for the govern ment to be in charge of and they would explode so no.no effing way.

Do you attack posters who brand Celtic fans scum and bigots.. Or are you bigoted in your criticism?

Actually a lot of them appear to be questioning why are "EPL" fans being branded scum, while the Celtic fans seem to go untarnished?

If you think my commentary above was bigoted, I'd direct you to an earlier post I made in this thread where I think Politics and Sports shouldn't be mixed in such a manner as they are here. They've very little relevance to each other and of no use. People can support the same team and hold very different political ideals or varying social responsibilities, that are of no relation to the team they support.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

Supporting Celtic is pretty much a microcosm of Irish nationalism. There's loads of singing, shouting and stirred up patriotism but in reality it's of no benefit to Ireland or its people.

Soon after Celtic was established, Brother Walfrid fell out with his co-founders as his idea of a club that would be a part of his charitable works to help the poor and needy Irish immigrants in Glasgow was turned into a business to make money from those people. A hundred years later they erected a statue of him outside Parkhead to reinforce the historical Irish links and ensure the money keeps rolling into Celtic from Irish people. The more money Celtic takes in, the more it contributes to the British state through taxes. Aside from flying a tricolour and having sod from Donegal, the only real connection between Celtic and Ireland is the cash that pours out of this country and into the British PLC's bank account. The powers that be in Celtic would give their right arms to be a part of the EPL but would run a mile from actually contributing something to Ireland by seeking to quit British football and request to join the LOI.

Irish nationalism and supporting Celtic are based on romanticism and skewed history rather than realism. Up Larsson and the ra.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Football really? The debate has sunk to the level of what football team someone considers best?

Utter nonsense about watching English soccer. Chelsea sold out a 60,000 seat stadium in Seattle, Manchester United sells out in China. Here in the western USA we get more live epl matches on tv than they do in england.

Maybe it feels a little incestuous as Ireland is so close to england and you dont realize it but English Football is a multi national corporation that covers the entire world. Its a business. You can debate the reasons for that (and why there isnt better tv coverage of irish football?) but claiming bigotry is way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

ultimately i think its the only longterm solution, and there'll never be true peace on this island until a UI is realised.

What a load of dreck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Can you point out these bigoted comments? The closest thing to bigotry im seeing here is from the true irish brigade who speak english and probably couldnt hold a conversation through irish. Wouldnt surprise me if they cant even remember the last time they went to a GAA match

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

will it happen in my lifetime though? i don't think so.

What is "true peace"? Is this some hocus-pocus republican ideology? Unless there has been some change over the past few hours, N.I. and the RoI are peaceful countries.

Given the differences between the people and the cultures in both countries, a faux amalgamation of sorts would be all that could be achieved. A republican UI is purely theoretical and completely unattainable. Republicans are just going to have to wake up and accept it.

The divisions that exist in N.I. will always remain. As other have said, we in the RoI are closer to the English nowadays, in terms of culture and lifestyle, than we are to the people of N.I..

Advertisement