Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WINTER WEATHER 2013/2014 - See Mod Note First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Anybody else noticed the sky has turned purple! Random

Yeap my wee one is glued to the window!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 glenmac

Purple here in the Wicklow mountains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

I haven't see the latest runs as of yet but it's only one run, I'll wait until this evening/tonight's runs before I start crying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

The gfs 12 z is very disappointing indeed but then again it's early days yet and I for one ain't going to get to down beat over one run. It's only mid nov and we are already getting some great charts so I'm very optimistic about this coming winter....Roll on Ecm:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

glenmac wrote: »
    Purple here in the Wicklow mountains
    reddish-purple in arklow too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭snowstorm2013

I promised I wouldn't get carried out with the talk of November snow but alas today, which was what I would consider a fantastic late autumn day, checking I had shovels etc in car. I unblocked drains around of leaves . Felt all good about seeing a few flurries at least.... but that latest run has destroyed my hopes. I know its to early in the season but I can feel the depression of no snow setting in... I not as chirpy as earlier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

It's only one run and I'm sure things will change over the next 72hrs we might just get wat we want :) I love cold and snow lots of snow but at least we are getting a good cold blast of air. Better then wet mild shyte ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

ECM says no even to wintry showers Tuesday Wednesday with the coldest uppers missing Ireland completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

ECM has gone the same way as the GFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Give it a few weeks. I think this part of the Northern Hemisphere is better set up for cold in the coming weeks than I could have imagined a few days ago. This might be a busted flush for some unique early cold, but sit tight for the reload.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

dopolahpec wrote: »
    Give it a few weeks. I think this part of the Northern Hemisphere is better set up for cold in the coming weeks than I could have imagined a few days ago. This might be a busted flush for some unique early cold, but sit tight for the reload.

Major downgrade for cold on the 12z ECM just rolling out now with the colder -8 temps missing Ireland altogether (though might skirt the East coast).

However, it was never going to be snowmageddon so we have to put things into perspective. Still a cold week ahead nonetheless and it shows once more the danger of putting too much trust in the weather models. The atmosphere is a fickle thing :D

D

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

He was predicting snow before christmas last year which never materialised. Anyway my money is on a white christmas this year and he could be right this time:D

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

the snow ploughs were all lined up in work today(airport)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

Model Output - probably a wobble, Service will resume again tomorrow, Weather Models are allowed to wobble from time to time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Model Output - probably a wobble, Service will resume again tomorrow, Weather Models are allowed to wobble from time to time

So true

And lads, we have the pub run to come !!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Well if its any consolation the 12z is an warm outlier when compared to the ensemble mean (regarding Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday). Lets hope that its not going to set the trend for the few next runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Really enjoyed the last few pages of posting... ah the highs so swiftly followed by the lows.

I agree though, weather charts are allowed to have a wobble or two... but no more than that!! lol :D

Will wait for the pub run.

Looking better THUS FAR concerning early days on next week. 84hr -8 over Ulster and Northern Leinster

Ireland just misses out again. This happens every time -8 uppers over most of England after 102hrs.

• Advertisement

Cogsy88 wrote: »
    Ireland just misses out again. This happens every time -8 uppers over most of England after 102hrs.

-8 uppers covering the majority of Ireland 90hrs. Did you fail to see that? Given how much it changes from run to run it's encouraging it's better that the last GFS output

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

Weathering wrote: »
    -8 uppers covering the majority of Ireland 90hrs. Did you fail to see that? Given how much it changes from run to run it's encouraging it's better that the last GFS output

Pub run, however I will take that for a start.

Upgrades... :)

Weathering wrote: »

Yea for all of 12 hours. Ideally we need to see higher heights over Greenland for anything interesting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭shell820810

Could anyone advise which day is likely to be least effected by snow for travel from Derry to Belfast from Tuesday to Thursday?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

GFS Pub run slightly better than 12z but still nothing special. ECM is always my go to for trends so hopes for next week not that high after their 12z output. Still interesting model watching ahead with the key not to get too excited at anything beyond 7 days.

The earlier the beast from the east arrives the better. If it's to late the streamers won't contain much moisture cause sea temps are too low. Usually snow events in February or March are frontal.

In terms of reliability what are peoples views on the CFS model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

In the grand scheme the 'downgrade' doesn't change much, still a cold, mostly dry and calm week ahead with overnight frosts. Unless everything falls perfectly into place and there's a sustained cold feed then snow isn't very likely this early in the season so there's little point stressing over the details, I'l gladly take a clear frosty week to get winter up and running
    Cogsy88 wrote: »
    In terms of reliability what are peoples views on the CFS model.

CFS isn't a built as a day to day model, its used for forecasting long range trends like monthly temperature anomolies so its no good watching it for next weeks weather. From my sporadic viewing it does seem to have a general grasp of longer range forecasts though I have no idea on its verification stats. Its main claim to fame on here is that it likes to come up with some extreme cold solutions so its great for the FI thread!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

Harps wrote: »
    In the grand scheme the 'downgrade' doesn't change much, still a cold, mostly dry and calm week ahead with overnight frosts. Unless everything falls perfectly into place and there's a sustained cold feed then snow isn't very likely this early in the season so there's little point stressing over the details, I'l gladly take a clear frosty week to get winter up and running

CFS isn't a built as a day to day model, its used for forecasting long range trends like monthly temperature anomolies so its no good watching it for next weeks weather. From my sporadic viewing it does seem to have a general grasp of longer range forecasts though I have no idea on its verification stats. Its main claim to fame on here is that it likes to come up with some extreme cold solutions so its great for the FI thread!

Wouldn't frosty weather help cool the seas? Very little power in that Sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

no the frosty weather would not have much of an effect on cooling the sea

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement