Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WINTER WEATHER 2013/2014 - See Mod Note First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

I've said it before, the record Winter of 2010/11 with its month long snow from Nov 26th to Dec 26th was a much cheaper Winter with regard to heating bills for us than last year for instance which was snow and iceless for most of us most of the time. ie. 2010/11 was mild mild.....epic snow for a month....mild mild mild mild. In contrast 2012/13 was snowless but cold cold cold cold cold cold requiring the heating on all the time.

However, as much as I enjoyed that month of epic ness. As much as I was very pleasantly surprised that the heating bills for that season were no higher than for a normal Irish mild mucky winter. It did however hit business badly.

Thus MT's forecast for a hape load of mild with a possible week of decent snow is actually music to my ears. I get my snow fix without an accompanying major financial hit.

Tbh I think most people even most snow bunnies would feel the same if they are honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Tindie wrote: »

Okay, so who going start the Xmas Heatwave post ? :P :D
    Bring back Spongebob :) ,i think it was him who started one a couple of winters ago

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

Time will only tell. Long range forecast should be taken with a pinch of salt. While MT could very well be right he could also be wrong as well. Interesting winter ahead. I am going for a mild winter with snow probably in late February,early march. November December and January being well above normal. (p.s the last time I predicted a cold winter I jinxed it Winter 2011/2012 was a mild one:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Someone else is not happy! :D

As for me, while I'd struggle to afford the fuel for an epic winter, I wouldn't mind a dose of epic snow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I think MTC is on the ball with this - we're overdue a wet n' windy winter so I guess the odds are that 2013/14 will be one. Just like we were overdue a decent summer which finally arrived this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I think MTC is on the ball with this - we're overdue a wet n' windy winter so I guess the odds are that 2013/14 will be one. Just like we were overdue a decent summer which finally arrived this year.

Well where i live, our site got Flooded 4-5 times last winter, and 2-3 times the year before, we've lived here nearly 15 years now and never had a problem but over the last 2 years the Field we're in got saturated due to the Rain, so i would disagree that we're overdue more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭starskey77

its jan and feb i hate so cold so depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭starskey77

are we going to have a mild winter then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

starskey77 wrote: »

No one knows. Guessing is as good as it gets

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

starskey77 wrote: »

HOPEFULLY not but all indications are pointing towards that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Loughc wrote: »

What indications are those?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Villain wrote: »
    What indications are those?

See MTC's forecast!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

See MTC's forecast!
    With respect to MTC that's one man's theory and such forecasts are discarded by Met Eireann and the UK Met Office. No-one can tell what will happen next month never mind next January.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Let's not forget that we live in Ireland, where mild/average winters are far more common than the likes of 2009/2010, which were exceptions and not the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Never mind the winter.
    What will Sunday be like, i'm playing golf at 8 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Never mind the winter.
    What will Sunday be like, i'm playing golf at 8 am.

stone45.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

axe2grind wrote: »
    Someone else is not happy! :D

As for me, while I'd struggle to afford the fuel for an epic winter, I wouldn't mind a dose of epic snow :)
    Excellent:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I just hope for an early Spring and a short winter.
    Last winter came in March, April and May...and then the country had a fodder crisis, not to mention the higher heating bill.
    All we can do is hope for is the cold is confined to late December and January and not dragged out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

SNOWING IN SWEDEN!!!! http://webbkameror.se/skidkameror/hemavan/hemavan_1_640.php

Looks heavenly!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Iancar29 wrote: »
    SNOWING IN SWEDEN!!!! http://webbkameror.se/skidkameror/hemavan/hemavan_1_640.php

Looks heavenly!!!

WHY MT WHY?????????

25903973-cry-gif-.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I got so excited when I saw MT Cranium was POTD, then I read it

tumblr_ly4g1stwuh1r0s535o1_400.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Thanks mt... But I hope u are wrong and that we are in for a snow fest

Did someone order a Scandi high?

cfs-4-2-2014.png

• Registered Users Posts: 44 finnbob123

Did someone order a Scandi high?

cfs-4-2-2014.png
    for us non meteorologist this blocking does mean cold weather doesn't it.
    :confused:

finnbob123 wrote: »
    for us non meteorologist this blocking does mean cold weather doesn't it.
    :confused:

If that came off you'd be looking at a cold easterly airflow dominating that month. It's a long range model that changes 4 times a day though, I just posted it for fun. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭pad199207

Ooh nuff of those CFS charts they wud drive anyone mad!

pad199207 wrote: »
    Ooh nuff of those CFS charts they wud drive anyone mad!

Might be the best 'weather' we'll see this winter though. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I knew it was going to be bad when he held off posting his winter forecast. The Fupping Grasshole for issuing a forecast like that:mad:

But seriously, while no one can say with certainty his forecast will be right, his long range forecasts over the last few years have been closer to the mark than most others. I think that suggests there is something to be said for his research methods, rather than it being a case of him being lucky- or perhaps he has mastered time travel:eek:, and in order to not give the game away, he intentionally gets somethings wrong

if a blocking high does take hold in central europe, hopefully, it can meander up to Scandinavia at some stage during the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Kenring

5-6 weeks to go before a snow event that should affect most of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Kenring wrote: »
    5-6 weeks to go before a snow event that should affect most of the country.

Have this marked in the diary for when it doesn't happen :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement