Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gotham (Fox) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

^ i am not familiar with these actors or their body of work....are they any good?
    Based on the info though, i wonder if Alfred and young Master Bruce will have a bigger role in this then i think. Perhaps Bruce will be a new damsel in distress for this show?

I'm getting Arrow vibes a plenty.........

http://www.boomtron.com/2014/01/gotham-to-serve-as-origin-story-for-batmans-entire-universe/

• Registered Users Posts: 60,300 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The new Alfred: A tough-as-nails ex-marine from East London.

SeanPertweeinTheSeasoningHouse.jpg

Then in a suit.

sean-pertwee-270496l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Fox also did agents of shield, so im not expecting much.

Fox also did agents of shield, so im not expecting much.

ABC are doing Agents.

But Fox have a huge list of failures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

some fine casting already

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Still along way to go, but I'm intrigued by all the talk of timelessness; sounds like the script's going for an aesthetic that doesn't immediately date events by its use of contemporary technology. I wonder if that'll bleed into the production design.

Sean Pertwee as Alfred could be an inspired choice.

I recognise him now!....he played Inspector LeStrade on Elementary :)

pixelburp wrote: »
    Still along way to go, but I'm intrigued by all the talk of timelessness; sounds like the script's going for an aesthetic that doesn't immediately date events by its use of contemporary technology. I wonder if that'll bleed into the production design.

Pretty sure it will, much like the first Batman movie....it looked like it was set in the 1930's. The did the same thing on The Flash from 1990.

I loved how they merge the old with the new, old cars...wearing hats....art deco sets etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Someone was telling me that the marvel tv show has a small budget due to licencing the name and you wont get cameos for the same reason. Any idea what the licence cost is of the overall budgets?

Jada Pinkett Smith joins the cast.

Sourse

I'm not a fan of I have to say I just hope it's not a staring role.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Could have been worse, could have been Jaden Smith :D

If that press release is accurate though, it reveals more hints about what version of Gotham this will be; it specifically mentioned 'extra-sensory abilities', so it looks like the more science-fictional elements are definitely on the cards

No major surprises who the last two characters announced are.
    Touch’s David Mazouz has been cast as a young Bruce Wayne, thus confirming once and for all the character will exist in the series and that he will be around for more than just the pilot. “Sentenced to a solitary life after the tragic murder of his wealthy parents, young Bruce relies on the guidance and protection of Alfred Pennyworth and James Gordon.”

Freshman actress Camren Bicondova will play a teenage orphan version of Selina Kyle who “is suspicious and wholly unpredictable. A street thief and skilled pickpocket, she’s dangerous when cornered.”

I guess since Alfred was announced as a regular it was only going to be the case that Bruce was as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

its coming together nicely now, more or less all the roles have now been filled, should be interesting to see how they portray bruce wayne in this, im assuming theyll show us from 2 or 3 different perspectives, only alfred will interact with bruce, but also gordon, gordon shouldn't have to much interaction with wayne, and maybe show things from the penguins perspective also,

i wonder how theyll go about training bruce, seeing as their saying he should become batman in the final episode ALA smallville

No major surprises who the last two characters announced are.

I guess since Alfred was announced as a regular it was only going to be the case that Bruce was as well.

^ not familiar with that kid from Touch, was he any good?
    Just guessing here, but i assume young master Bruce will have a series long story arc, building him up and putting in the pieces that will one day make him Batman.

Since Alfred and Gordon are protectors i assume he could be a sometime damsel-in-distress, with Alred ex military he could possibly train Bruce?

They will need to age down some characters, Selina Kyle is a good idea here....we know who she becomes and who her eventual love interest is.

But will they reach a point in say series 4/5 when that actor playing Bruce will have to be replaced with some in their late teens?

It'll be VERY interesting who they cast as Jack Napier/Joker......!!

don ramo wrote: »
    its coming together nicely now, more or less all the roles have now been filled, should be interesting to see how they portray bruce wayne in this, im assuming theyll show us from 2 or 3 different perspectives, only alfred will interact with bruce, but also gordon, gordon shouldn't have to much interaction with wayne, and maybe show things from the penguins perspective also,

i wonder how theyll go about training bruce, seeing as their saying he should become batman in the final episode ALA smallville

^ re: Gordon....if they have him kidnapped or in some danger every few episodes Gordon or Alread will have to save him. The kid is worth billions....and with the Gotham crime problems and weirdos he's a prime target! ;)

I think Alred trains him to a certain extent, because if he's being targeted he'll need to defend himself. They'll give him a certain skill level before he goes off to meet Ras Al Gul and his final training....imo.

I wasn't impressed with the kid in Touch. But then I think he only spoke once in the two seasons other than doing voice overs.

So depending on his role and how big it is he mightn't have much to do here either.

Drew Powell has been cast in a guest starring/recurring role in Fox‘s Batman prequel drama Gotham, which has a series commitment. Based on DC characters from the Batman universe, Gotham explores the origin stories of Commissioner James Gordon (Ben McKenzie) as an idealistic rookie detective in Gotham City, along with Bruce Wayne and the villains who made Gotham City famous. Powell will play Butch Gilzean, the deceptively clever and ambitious second-in-command to sadistic gangster boss Fish Mooney (Jada Pinkett Smith).

via dealine.com

Gotham-Logo.jpg

"Everyone knows the name Commissioner Gordon. He is one of the crime world's greatest foes, a man whose reputation is synonymous with law and order. But what is known of Gordon's story and his rise from rookie detective to Police Commissioner? What did it take to navigate the multiple layers of corruption that secretly ruled Gotham City, the spawning ground of the world's most iconic villains? And what circumstances created them - the larger-than-life personas who would become Catwoman, The Penguin, The Riddler, Two-Face and The Joker?

'GOTHAM' is an origin story of the great DC Comics super villains and vigilantes, revealing an entirely new chapter that has never been told. From executive producer/writer Bruno Heller ('The Mentalist,' 'Rome'), 'GOTHAM' follows one cop's rise through a dangerously corrupt city teetering on the edge of evil and chronicles the birth of one of the most popular super heroes of our time.

Growing up in Gotham City's surrounding suburbs, JAMES GORDON (Ben McKenzie, 'Southland,' 'The O.C.') romanticized the city as a glamorous and exciting metropolis where his late father once served as a successful district attorney. Now, two weeks into his new job as a Gotham City detective and engaged to his beloved fiancée, BARBARA KEAN (Erin Richards, 'Open Grave,' 'Breaking In'), Gordon is living his dream - even as he hopes to restore the city back to the pure version he remembers it was as a kid.

Brave, honest and ready to prove himself, the newly-minted detective is partnered with the brash, but shrewd police legend HARVEY BULLOCK (Donal Logue, 'Sons of Anarchy,' 'Terriers,' 'Vikings,' 'Copper'), as the two stumble upon the city's highest-profile case ever: the murder of local billionaires Thomas and Martha Wayne. At the scene of the crime, Gordon meets the sole survivor: the Waynes' hauntingly intense 12-year-old son, BRUCE (David Mazouz, 'Touch'), toward whom the young detective feels an inexplicable kinship. Moved by the boy's profound loss, Gordon vows to catch the killer.

As he navigates the often-underhanded politics of Gotham's criminal justice system, Gordon will confront imposing gang boss FISH MOONEY (Jada Pinkett Smith, 'The Matrix' films, 'HawthoRNe,' 'Collateral'), and many of the characters who will become some of fiction's most renowned, enduring villains, including a teenaged SELINA KYLE/the future CATWOMAN (acting newcomer Camren Bicondova) and OSWALD COBBLEPOT/THE PENGUIN (Robin Lord Taylor, 'The Walking Dead,' 'Another Earth').

Although the crime drama will follow Gordon's turbulent and singular rise through the Gotham City police department, led by Police Captain SARAH ESSEN (Zabryna Guevara, 'Burn Notice'), it also will focus on the unlikely friendship Gordon forms with the young heir to the Wayne fortune, who is being raised by his unflappable butler, ALFRED (Sean Pertwee, 'Camelot,' 'Elementary'). It is a friendship that will last them all of their lives, playing a crucial role in helping the young boy eventually become the crusader he's destined to be.

'GOTHAM' is based upon characters published by DC Comics and is produced by Warner Bros. Television. Executive producer Bruno Heller ('The Mentalist') wrote the pilot, which will be directed and executive-produced by Emmy Award nominee Danny Cannon (the 'CSI' series, 'Nikita')."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Sounds awesome!

You probably got that synopsis from the Gotham website > http://www.fox.com/gotham/

There is a high chance that this show will go global after being shown on FOX. It would be great to have some plans to show this in Ireland on either RTE or TV3.

it also will focus on the unlikely friendship Gordon forms with the young heir to the Wayne fortune, who is being raised by his unflappable butler, ALFRED [] It is a friendship that will last them all of their lives, playing a crucial role in helping the young boy eventually become the crusader he's destined to be.

Thats the line I was afraid of, unless there is a mini-arc following an enquiry as to why Gordon is spending all his spare time hanging around with a pre-teen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

"It was all part of the day's job for McKenzie, who plays the younger version of the character that James Oldman portrayed in the Christopher Nolan-directed Batman trilogy."

Eh James Oldman ? Fail

• Registered Users Posts: 85,102 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I like the show premise just worried as the network is Fox

Ick, a Daily Mail link. I feel dirty.

Revealing pics though; Gordon looks just as I imagined, in that he looks like a generic cop from every other police procedural on earth, it was Cobblepot that peaked my interest as it'd give some indication on the style and tone of the Rogue's Gallery. Nothing too ostentatious in that respect really, though the clothes are quite old-fashioned, ditto some of the set dressing; that tallies with the script that supposedly leaked out, speaking of a certain timelessness in the setting.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ick, a Daily Mail link. I feel dirty.

Revealing pics though; Gordon looks just as I imagined, in that he looks like a generic cop from every other police procedural on earth, it was Cobblepot that peaked my interest as it'd give some indication on the style and tone of the Rogue's Gallery. Nothing too ostentatious in that respect really, though the clothes are quite old-fashioned, ditto some of the set dressing; that tallies with the script that supposedly leaked out, speaking of a certain timelessness in the setting.

leaked script spoilers ahead http://io9.com/what-we-learned-from-the-script-for-gothams-first-epi-1530515272

wow!....based on that article the script is brutal!

Selina Kyle first look.
    camren-bicondova-gotham-selina-kyle-fox.jpg

More set pics have surfaced, as well as a horrendously airbrushed promotional shot, this time showing Selina Kyle and the young Bruce Wayne. The actor playing Kyle is the spit of Michelle Pfeiffer, I can't imagine that's a coincidence of casting.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/set-pics-from-gotham-reveal-first-look-at-selina-kyle-and-bruce-wayne
    jenjenten wrote: »
    leaked script spoilers ahead http://io9.com/what-we-learned-from-the-script-for-gothams-first-epi-1530515272

wow!....based on that article the script is brutal!

Yeah, that was posted before iirc; tbh I'd never trust any draft of a script prior to shooting considering how much can change before the cameras start rolling; hell things change even when they are shooting. The article also seems to ignore the fact it reads exactly like almost every US pilot conceived. Sure it's not original, but there's nothing in it that doesn't sound like your typical whistlestop tour of whatever world it is the script's establishing. Leave it to the later episodes to establish the subtly.

• Advertisement

She looks about twelve!....and Henry, ooh sorry....Bruce looks like henry from OUAT!

Advertisement