Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manbag: yes or no?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

No, I'm not a girl.
    seamus wrote: »
    Spare contact lenses? Overkill tbh. Once in the 15 years I've been wearing contacts have I had a contact emergency. Even then I just cycled home with one good. Keep a spare pair of glasses in your car and a bottle of saline in work; a good drop of saline will keep you going all day till you can get home and take the lens out.
    I disagree. It's unlikely you're going to lose both contacts at once but it can certainly happen. It's happened to me in a few instances - once when I took a hard knock playing GAA, another time when I was assailed by sudden gust of wind that dried out my eyes instantly and caused my lenses to fall out. On one bizarre occasion I had one tumble out early on in the evening, only to have my ninja friend hit me the eye with a Pringle later on that night, causing me to lose the other.

Pretty unlikey incidences, but I'm -5.00 in one eye and -5.50 in the other - close to functionally blind without a visual aid and competently unable to enjoy myself fumbling around in BlurredLand. You can fit a pair of contacts easily in your johnny pocket so I don't see much point in not bringing them out given that a freak accident can mess your night up. I guess it's worth mentioning that I use disposable lenses, so it's no biggie if I manage to lose them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    Call it insecurity but I like to have my keys with me, I've also been caught out leaving keys in the car and then realising I need them and the car is miles away.
    I like to carry a pen with me to do crosswords.
    I buy cheap contacts and although most of the time they are fine they occasionally go wrong and need to be replaced, I find it very uncomfortable with only one contact.
    I use my phone a fair bit between texts calls and games it can run down at odd times - often when I'm out of the house.
    Pen knife is very handy either at work or for use in the theatre (my hobby is helping out in a local am dram group)
    Vaseline - vital for me anywhere - I have psoriasis and it affect my face.
    So you see, it would be handy to be able to bring all the ****e with me.

Was all going ok untill you went all larry murphy at the end.
    Knife and vaseline?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Phone, wallet, keys.

Anything else ...

Gun?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭Earthwalker

Good suffering Christ, are people really that shallow and/or insecure that they would deem a bag in and of itself to be feminine?? I mean, not even one covered in flowers, but just a mere shoulder bag ffs?!

The amount of men so far saying crap that amounts to: 'all you need is a wallet and a key or you're just not a man'.

Newsflash: Men use laptops/notebooks, umbrellas, read books & magazines, buy gifts they need to get form a to b, they bring lunch to work, food to cinema etc etc e-bloody-tc.

What are they supposed to do with all that stuff? Carry it in their fcuking jeans pocket?? Get the fcuk over yourselves for the love of fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭CatLou

No, I'm not a girl.
    My boyfriend has a sort of courier bag from crumpler, its cool and useful, a lot better to carry than a backpack if you take public transports, for instance. My dad sometimes wears a small satchel when on vacation or dressing more casually. The one you linked seems OK, a handbag with small or no handles may be less practical for a everyday use (and harder to pull with many looks).
    If you think you need one, give it a try, guys wearing bags is perfectly OK, imo. Just make sure it adapts to your style, that should be your only worry :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

No, I'm not a girl.
    Good suffering Christ, are people really that shallow and/or insecure that they would deem a bag in and of itself to be feminine?? I mean, not even one covered in flowers, but just a mere shoulder bag ffs?!

The amount of men so far saying crap that amounts to: 'all you need is a wallet and a key or you're just not a man'.

Newsflash: Men use laptops/notebooks, umbrellas, read books & magazines, buy gifts they need to get form a to b, they bring lunch to work, food to cinema etc etc e-bloody-tc.

What are they supposed to do with all that stuff? Carry it in their fcuking jeans pocket?? Get the fcuk over yourselves for the love of fcuk.

If you could just throw a couple of fcuks into that post it'd be perfect :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Bags are stressful.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

seamus wrote: »

Forward planning, that's all you're missing. Takes two seconds to think, "What do I need in the pub?". Well you don't need spare contacts, a pen knife, a pen, charger, eReader, usb keys, car key, work keys, paracetemol, and hopefully you don't need Vaseline in the pub.

Bags are for people too lazy to plan ahead.

This post couldn't be more wrong. :mad:

You need all those things along with parachord, duct tape, a small torch, basic FAK, gloves, poncho, water, firesteel, n95 mask and energy bars.

All in a British Mark VII Satchel for a bit of authenticity.

Bags are for people who have planned ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

No, I'm not a girl.
    It's grand, it's not got a pattern or a sh!t load of visible zips or bling.
    It doesn't look terribly durable, bit plasticy. Have a near indestructable canvas one.

Thing is, if it had 'Nike', 'Puma' or something similar scrawled across it, all the bag-a-phobes would say nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

No. Just no. Just noooooo. No man should carry a man bag. What you need should fit in your pockets and, if it doesn't, do without! Nothing is worse than a man bag - murder, theft, dad-dancing - all pale in comparison.

I say this as a girl with a two tonne handbag now, but, feck it. We have to shave our legs - we get to carry bags. Them's the rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You carry around too much crap with you, I wouldn't even bring that much stuff with me on holidays. Wallet, phone, keys, that's all you need for any occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I'm still undecided so I've added a poll - lets see how it goes.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Hipster Forum>>>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

ScumLord wrote: »
    You carry around too much crap with you, I wouldn't even bring that much stuff with me on holidays. Wallet, phone, keys, that's all you need for any occasion.
    Exactly. Do the triple tap for the wallet, phone keys. That's all you need unless you're heading abroad.

Not being able to go anywhere with vasaline, paracetamol, spare lenses, usb keys, an e-reader etc is probably some form of OCD.
    I'm the opposite, carry the minimum. I'm with the geordies on this one, a jacket isn't needed on a night out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No, I'm not a girl.
    Yeah i have a medic one, if it was good enough for a soldier in world war II it's good enough for me.
    http://tiwibzone.tiwib.netdna-cdn.com/images/vintage-medic-messenger-bag.jpg
    Comes with great reviews
    http://static.uhpinions.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/VintageRetroMedicMessengerBag.png

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've even got my keys into 3 divisions. My car keys, house keys and work keys can all be separated so I only bring the house keys out with me. House keys stay in the car when I go somewhere so I only need the car key on me. If I could only pay for things with headbuts I could get rid of the wallet too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

No, I'm not a girl.
    I don't have an issue with carrying such a bag if I'm carrying lots of stuff, like beer to party or a laptop.
    Not everyday use though, I have pockets plenty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

ScumLord wrote: »
    I've even got my keys into 3 divisions. My car keys, house keys and work keys can all be separated so I only bring the house keys out with me. House keys stay in the car when I go somewhere so I only need the car key on me. If I could only pay for things with headbuts I could get rid of the wallet too.
    I can't wait until NFC comes here so we can pay for everything with just your phone. I actually can't wait for that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

1ZRed wrote: »
    I can't wait until NFC comes here so we can pay for everything with just your phone. I actually can't wait for that day.
    Or open doors aswell.

Phone...keys...wallet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

No, I'm not a girl.
    There's something seriously wrong with Irish society if people are offended by a guy wearing a messenger bag. If you want to wear one and it's practical for you then wear one. Nobody should judge you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

No, I'm not a girl.
    I have one of these some people said it was girly. So what.

I use all the time and it has lasted about 7 years without anything wrong with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

No, I'm not a girl.
    Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I have one of these some people said it was girly. So what.

I use all the time and it has lasted about 7 years without anything wrong with it.
    I have very little doubt that a high proportion of these people wear ill-fitting jeans with Asics running shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Get your goddamn bag, carry your goddamn stuff around in comfort and anyone who objects needs to sit down and have a frank conversation with themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭dangerus06

no no no no no no no no no and noooooo:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

dangerus06 wrote: »
    no no no no no no no no no and noooooo:P

There's no limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

No, I'm not a girl.
    Pace2008 wrote: »
    I have very little doubt that a high proportion of these people wear ill-fitting jeans with Asics running shoes.
    Yep. Mind you there is normally something else I wearing they take objection to as well.

Other light jokes from friends but that is not real.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

No, I'm not a girl.
    Have something similar like the op linked.
    Have my lunch, tea bags, coffee, pens and some documents. have it all so don't have to buy hot drinks in work and save a absolute fortune, seriously it pays my car tax and insurance for the year!

Lads might laugh at me but i'm laughing at you with your rotten, torn supermarket plastic bag with your squashed lunch inside :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

No, I'm not a girl.
    BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Why are you carrying so much sh*t around with you? You're not f*cking MacGyver

This post doesn't make sense.

Surely not being MacGyver is all the more reason to carry one? Think about it, all MacGyver needs is his trusty Swiss Army knife to save the day...the rest of us mere mortals would need a hell of a lot more gear to be prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

KilOit wrote: »
    Have something similar like the op linked.
    Have my lunch, tea bags, coffee, pens and some documents. have it all so don't have to buy hot drinks in work and save a absolute fortune, seriously it pays my car tax and insurance for the year!

Lads might laugh at me but i'm laughing at you with your rotten, torn supermarket plastic bag with your squashed lunch inside :cool:
    Just re-read that in an Alan Partridge voice...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Horrendously biased poll options. I normally use a draw-string kit bag if I need to carry stuff around, or my school bag if it's bulky/heavy.

Advertisement