Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manbag: yes or no?

Options
  • 08-08-2013 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

So, in these modern times I find I often don't have enough pockets to carry all the things I'd like to carry with me - phone, charger, eReader, usb keys, pen knife, car key, house keys, work keys, spare contact lenses, cigarettes, lighter, vaseline, paracetemol, a pen, etc, etc.
    I guess I could get away with it to and from work but I'm not so sure I could get away with it bringing it to the pub - maybe on a Friday evening on the way home from work?

How do you feel about manbags? Are the acceptable yet or still considered a bit of a no no?

Somthing like this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004RLXHLM/ref=s9_simh_gw_p309_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1E5SV4Y1ADG8BPN58DA5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=418445227&pf_rd_i=468294

Would you use a manbag of the type shown in the OP? 80 votes

Yes, I'm confident enough in my masculinity to carry such a bag.
    0%
    No, I'm not a girl.
    100%
    tiborjdStarkgurramoksuper_furryneGevZhaneBacchusKilOitneacy69keano_afcShinyTar.AldarionsweetiebikoGenghiz CohenSinfoniathemacdaddykrudlerec18 80 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Aint nothing wrong with a backpack, always carry one myself.

That bag in the link is fine, thought you meant like a leather number with a nice chain...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Isn't that a laptop bag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I shove everything into my laptop bag.

But if I'm on holidays somewhere and out for the day, I will usually take a man-bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

You just need to ask yourself one question:

Q. Am I Jack Bauer?

If the answer is no, then you aren't going to be able to pull it off the way you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Nohting there a laptop gag or good backpak couldn;t do...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

No...just no.

Back pack = good

Man bag = Bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Manbags are handbags. Men cannot walk around with handbags as a severe and merited beating will occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Manbags are stylishly cool and therefore you too will look cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I follow a simple rule;

If it doesn't fit down my boxers I don't need it on a night out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

No, I'm not a girl.
    What you linked too isn't a man bag, it's closer to a back pack than a woman's hand bag. It's perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭nowimtalking

I don't know anyone who doesn't carry a bag in the city these days, either a backpack or satchel. Man-bags are acceptable in urban areas or with anyone who uses public transport. That being said, if I carry a bag to town when I'm at home in rural Monaghan, I get some slagging.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

You just need to ask yourself one question:

Q. Am I Jack Bauer?

If the answer is no, then you aren't going to be able to pull it off the way you want.

That's how I justify mine - if it's good enough for Bauer...

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

No, I'm not a girl.
    If you need a bag to carry stuff, yes. If it is a fashion accessory, get a grip of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭cottz2006

Plazaman wrote: »
    Manbags are stylishly cool and therefore you too will look cool

It's a satchel!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Its a satchel, indiana jones wears one!! *I say go for it, ya will look great!

*may not be good advice....

I have a satchel that I would regularly use. I've had it for years and it comes in perfectly handy for when I purchase things that can be fitted in small bags; anything bought from a pharmacy, video games, DVDs, the odd item bought from Penney's. When I'm walking, for the most part I hate having to carry any additional bags in my hands, so it's perfect for things like that. It's especially great for when you're carrying things you don't necessarily want other people to see.

Oh I forgot to add that a satchel is excellent when I'm going somewhere to read, say a park, and I want to throw my book, a snack, and a bottle of water in it. If the grass is wet, I can then use it as a seat to keep myself dry. It also can be great for putting my wallet, keys, and phone in when I have particularly loose pockets.

Question is, How much stuff is the OP bringing with him??

I mean I have a jacket with multiple pockets.

I only carry a phone, lighter, cigs, wallet, license.... hmm thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

That's why I'm asking, I live in rural north county Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

No, I'm not a girl.
    That bag is like a courier satchel. Only the most threatened of people could have a problem with it. Having said that, you are carrying more stuff than my wife, and you need to look at that.

I carry a bag most of the time, for my glasses/sunglasses (whichever I'm not wearing), two phones, keys, wallet. I could put them all in pockets, but then I'd need to be wearing a jacket or those stupid cargo pants.

Only once have I had "queer" yelled at me, though an elderly gentleman told me it looked good on me once :confused:, but mostly I don't think anyone cares - even in Tallaght, where I work. Go on the continent for hols and I fit right in :D

• Advertisement

yeppydeppy wrote: »

But I'm asking you how much stuff are you bringing..Is this for everyday travelling?

Do you really need to bring a pen like? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

There shouldn't even be a yes option.

I can't stick carrying anything that wasn't a school bag on my back

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Why are you carrying so much sh*t around with you? You're not f*cking MacGyver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Nemeses, it's that time of the year when it's too warm for a jacket most of the time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Backpack for day to day things. When going out all is needed are pockets.

phone, charger, eReader, usb keys, pen knife,car key, house keys, work keys, spare contact lenses, cigarettes, lighter, vaseline

Be grand sure.

Nemeses, it's that time of the year when it's too warm for a jacket most of the time.

What country are you living in??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Totally fine in my opinion. Its functional. We are so slow to accept anything here, give it 5 years and we will have accepted them. in the interim lads will just continue to beat the shape out of their jeans by shoving too much in pockets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

In which case your best bet is to wrap it up with an old fertiliser bag and some bailing twine. Should keep the locals happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I implore of you all not to become one of those cunts that walks around with a record bag as if they just happen to be on their way to do a hipster vinyl set at 8:30AM on a Monday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

No, I'm not a girl.
    Do you really care what others think about whether you have a manbag or not? Others are not going to carry stuff around for you...so if its practical for you, why not?

Let all the Gok Wan Wannabe's complain all they like!

Advertisement