Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo v Donegal Sunday 4th Aug @ 4pm

Options

Comments

Eamonn McGee having a spat with a few lads on twitter now, you'd think he'd keep his head down after his act of thuggery yesterday - as if he hasn't disgraced himself enough already this weekend.

To be fair though you'll have alot of keyboard warriors launching cowardly attacks on him which isnt right either. I dont condone what he done but he should be dealt with by the powers that be and it left at that rather then cowardly morons attacking him over the Internet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

To be fair though you'll have alot of keyboard warriors launching cowardly attacks on him which isnt right either. I dont condone what he done but he should be dealt with by the powers that be and it left at that rather then cowardly morons attacking him over the Internet.

1. He doesn't have to read it.
    2. He doesn't have to be on Twitter.
    3. He doesn't have to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

True - but he needs to ignore them and understand why he's getting stick. He stood on Varley's neck, very deliberately, he knew exactly what he was doing. There's no comeback from that so he'd be better off lying low for a while instead of goading people to come down and face off with him in Gweedore.

1. He doesn't have to read it.
    2. He doesn't have to be on Twitter.
    3. He doesn't have to respond.

Probably shouldnt read or respond to it but the fact is that these clowns that are filling his twitter feed with bait really need to get a life. They have no right to harass people the way they are no matter what they do on the field. They wouldnt say it to his face.

And i dont see why he shouldnt be on twitter. It would be better they werent in terms of mental preparation but amateur athletes make enough sacrifices without having the choice to do what they wish off the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

True - but he needs to ignore them and understand why he's getting stick. He stood on Varley's neck, very deliberately, he knew exactly what he was doing. There's no comeback from that so he'd be better off lying low for a while instead of goading people to come down and face off with him in Gweedore.

He very deliberately stood on his upper back with not a whole lot of force - an inexcusable action which deserves at least a 3 match ban, but let's keep the incident in perspective here.

• Advertisement

Perhaps he is right to calling the bluff of these cowards. Of course the brave men all go missing then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Probably shouldnt read or respond to it but the fact is that these clowns that are filling his twitter feed with bait really need to get a life. They have no right to harass people the way they are no matter what they do on the field. They wouldnt say it to his face.

And i dont see why he shouldnt be on twitter. It would be better they werent in terms of mental preparation but amateur athletes make enough sacrifices without having the choice to do what they wish off the field.

He can be on twitter all he wants without using his real name. People in the limelight putting themselves on a pedestal like twitter can expect to get abuse. There will always be idiots on the internet full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

keith16 wrote: »
    There will always be idiots on the internet full stop.

HALLELUJAH!!!! Read any thread on any topic on any forum

He can be on twitter all he wants without using his real name. People in the limelight putting themselves on a pedestal like twitter can expect to get abuse. There will always be idiots on the internet full stop.

Why is there this assumption that all these GAA players need to hide away under pseudonyms, etc while useless numpties who never achieved anything of note in their lives can just log on and say what they like?

Id be very critical of some of my own county men from time to time but im not going to post abuse to them on twitter. Why would anyone do it only they are a good for nothing idiot and good for nothing idiots should be censored to be quite honest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

He very deliberately stood on his upper back with not a whole lot of force - an inexcusable action which deserves at least a 3 match ban, but let's keep the incident in perspective here.

It was very clearly his neck, not his "upper back". The first part of Varley to go down was his head because that's what McGee hit first with his boot as he stood on his neck.

It was shameful stuff.

• Advertisement

Why is there this assumption that all these GAA players need to hide away under pseudonyms, etc while useless numpties who never achieved anything of note in their lives can just log on and say what they like?

Id be very critical of some of my own county men from time to time but im not going to post abuse to them on twitter. Why would anyone do it only they are a good for nothing idiot and good for nothing idiots should be censored to be quite honest

Fully agreed, and what better way to censor them by ignoring them? I never said that all players should use a pseudonym. That is an option open to them of course.

However, any high profile person is going to attract these idiotic comments from trolls. They should know better than to rise to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

He's being criticised on twitter for threatening to wreck Ronan O'Neill's (who'd recently recovered from a cruciate injury) knee in the league game in Omagh. O'Neill himself retweeted one of their tweets. I wouldn't call it trolling really. A bit unnecessary though I suppose.

It was very clearly his neck, not his "upper back". The first part of Varley to go down was his head because that's what McGee hit first with his boot as he stood on his neck.

It was shameful stuff.

No, it was his upper back, between the shoulder blades. It's very clear from the angle shown at around 9:02.

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10187018/

No, it was his upper back, between the shoulder blades. It's very clear from the angle shown at around 9:02.

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10187018/

oh well that's ok then.

oh well that's ok then.

See my previous post.

???

They don't HAVE to play GAA.

Also they get plenty back off it too! The gains are greater than the deductions.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭okioffice84

Anyone have a link to the full match??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

???

Also they get plenty back off it too! The gains are greater than the deductions.

They deserve every bit of the gains they make considering the sacrifices they make.I am quite sure that inter county footballers are training to a level not too dissimilar to professional athletes.IMO it is only the players from the elite/successful counties that benefit to any great degree.Anyhow monetary gain is way down the priorities of these players.Their primary motivations are without doubt attaining success for their home club/county,pride in the jersey is what the GAA is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Just back from the match.

Absolutely delighted! DELIGHTED!

McGuinness has been found out. His style has been found out. Once again, stop McFadden and Murphy and there's no Donegal.

I have to say Aidan O Shea was incredible. I also have to point out the disgraceful acts of Donegal trying to get O Shea sent off. Was pulling and lashing out off the ball trying to rile him.

yeah those sneaky / nasty Donegal players tried their best and forced him to put in a high tackle iate in the game to get himself sent off :D

seligehgit wrote: »
    They deserve every bit of the gains they make considering the sacrifices they make.I am quite sure that inter county footballers are training to a level not too dissimilar to professional athletes.IMO it is only the players from the elite/successful counties that benefit to any great degree.Anyhow monetary gain is way down the priorities of these players.Their primary motivations are without doubt attaining success for their home club/county,pride in the jersey is what the GAA is all about.

Any athlete makes sacrifices?

Also it's more than monetary. They are recognised figures around the country.

• Advertisement

afro man wrote: »
    yeah those sneaky / nasty Donegal players tried their best and forced him to put in a high tackle iate in the game to get himself sent off :D

Yeah.

???

I never said they did but they deserve to be given due respect for doing so. They dont get paid for what they do and they spend alot of time away from families on top of having to fit it in around their professional lives. The gains are mostly intrinsic. These lads train like pro's. Some clubs and counties will never win the top honours and yet lads still turn out to give their all.

I never said they did but they deserve to be given due respect for doing so. They dont get paid for what they do and they spend alot of time away from families on top of having to fit it in around their professional lives. The gains are mostly intrinsic. These lads train like pro's. Some clubs and counties will never win the top honours and yet lads still turn out to give their all.

Yeah respect, but shouldn't be given pity and not take the bad with the good of being in the public eye.

Yeah respect, but shouldn't be given pity and not take the bad with the good of being in the public eye.

No by right they shouldnt get abuse if there was normal people in society no matter what happens on the field. Its up to the good people to pour scorn on these muppets who think they are entitled to say and do what they like.

No by right they shouldnt get abuse if there was normal people in society no matter what happens on the field. Its up to the good people to pour scorn on these muppets who think they are entitled to say and do what they like.

Why aren't people allowed to tell them what they think of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Astala

Because they're amateurs, giving their time and utmost dedication to represent their county. They deserve respect, not passive-aggressive comments from people who like to think they know GAA.

Astala wrote: »
    Because they're amateurs, giving their time and utmost dedication to represent their county. They deserve respect, not passive-aggressive comments from people who like to think they know GAA.

Spot on. Tools taking the moral high ground on how to behave and yet here they are themselves harassing people over the internet. Tools i might add, who have probably never kicked or pucked a ball in anger

Well unfortunately there is nothing to stop them but you'd want some brass neck in all honesty to ironically be critical of players the way they conduct themselves in a given situation and yet here they are themselves harassing them like some stalker/bully.

Thats the problem with society today. You have these pretentious clowns with their twitter or facebook accounts thinking that its a token to say whatever poison springs to their warped minds to people. A pathetic attempt at crying out for attention while the harsh harsh truth is that they are irrelevant wasters and that no one gives a flying f*ck about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

DazMarz wrote: »
    I sincerely hope that the All Ireland Final is Dublin v. Mayo. Going on form and how both teams play good, attacking football: it would promise to be a cracker.

Even a Kerry v. Mayo final would be a good spectacle.

Obviously, I'm hoping that one of the 4 remaining gets their clock cleaned in spectacular fashion by Mayo (not naming names now...).

As a Dub fan, I obviously want to see Dublin winning the All Ireland. But if Dublin can't win it, I'd sincerely hope that either of Mayo or Kerry do. If Tyrone win it, it will vindicate and validate their tactics and their cynical nature. Dublin, Mayo and Kerry all play good, decent football.

If Dublin have to get beaten by anyone, at least if they get beaten by Kerry or Mayo it will have been through playing football, not by playing a hybrid of GAA and Rugby League.

Fair play to Mayo too, (to get back on topic). They played a master class of fluid, attacking football and it could only be admired. This really could be their year. I don't think anyone in the country would begrudge them their first All Ireland in 60-odd years. And seeing as the grandfather was from Mayo (via New York), I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world if they won it and Dublin didn't! :P

I watched the Kerry game live and to say they play decent football is nonsense! During yesterdays game i took a picture from high in the Cusack stand of one Kerry man in the opposition half, and thanfully Ciaran Whealan pointed this out in the sunday game last night, the only difference in his montage is that Kerry had ALL 15 behind the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭corny

Well unfortunately there is nothing to stop them but you'd want some brass neck in all honesty to ironically be critical of players the way they conduct themselves in a given situation and yet here they are themselves harassing them like some stalker/bully.

Thats the problem with society today. You have these pretentious clowns with their twitter or facebook accounts thinking that its a token to say whatever poison springs to their warped minds to people. A pathetic attempt at crying out for attention while the harsh harsh truth is that they are irrelevant wasters and that no one gives a flying f*ck about them.

Such emotive language for such a trivial matter.

Eamonn Magee receives some ****e talk and responds in kind. Big deal.

Advertisement