Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo v Donegal Sunday 4th Aug @ 4pm

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

bohsboy wrote: »
    So you'd prefer an empty Croke park for games?
    Good thinking by gaa who are struggling to get crowds this year.
    No need for the paranoia.

Struggling to get crowds? I read that attendances in both football and hurling are up on last year. Hurling massively so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,141 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Expected mayo to win but not in the manner they did obviously.
    We've been here before tho....think 96, 97 in particular as well as 2006, mayo had very impressive outings in croker only to fall short in the end. I wouldn't begrudge mayo the win but horan has q job to do keeping the mayo support in check

It's not his job keep the support in check

No doubt about him keeping the players in check though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

roshje wrote: »
    dont really, were they in both semis?
    Amprodude wrote: »
    So true. Nothing for Cork last year when both the hurlers and footballers made semi finals. Nothing in 2010 or 2008 either when both our teams made semi final stages. We have a journey to travel too unlike Dub fans.
    There most certainly was a deal for the Cork fans last year on gaa.tickets.ie. I remember because I was considering buying it but would've been unable to go to Cork - Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Gaa looking after the dubs again, special prices for them because two teams in the semis

Didn't you get the memo. GAA are 100% biased towards Dublin. Look at all the All Ireland medals falling out of our pockets.

I reckon you'd be lucky to get 40k at Croker next week for Dublin V Cork. GAA looking to make money and not catering to Dublin.

Back to today. Mayo were frightening. If they beat Tryone and if Dublin beat Kerry then I think Mayo will win Sam

They have a physiological edge over Dublin. We can't beat them in the big games.

Get your shackles on Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

gosh if they are worried about an empty croke park from dubs fan who only have to fall into the door ,god help us

Ah yes, here we go again with the idea that every Dublin fan lives on either Clonliffe Road, Jones Road or the North Circular Road. Yes, every Dublin person on the planet lives within 10 minutes walk from Croke Park. Sorry to give you this shock (probably the worst since you found out about Santa) but we don't. There are parts of Kildare, Meath and Wicklow that are closer to Croke Park than parts of Dublin are. In any other subject about Dublin we'd get the "half of Dublin lives in Wexford" kind of line, along with the "Dublin's full of culchies" line. There are plenty of non-Dubs that actually do live within 10 minutes of Croke Park and plenty of Dublin fans that regularly go to Croke Park that travel some distances from other parts of the country and beyond. That Dublin fans only have to fall into Croke Park is a myth. JK Rowling couldn't write anything more fictional than that. My sincerest apologies if you didn't know about Santa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭roshje

Flukey wrote: »
    Ah yes, here we go again with the idea that every Dublin fan lives on either Clonliffe Road, Jones Road or the North Circular Road. Yes, every Dublin person on the planet lives within 10 minutes walk from Croke Park. Sorry to give you this shock (probably the worst since you found out about Santa) but we don't. There are parts of Kildare, Meath and Wicklow that are closer to Croke Park than parts of Dublin are. In any other subject about Dublin we'd get the "half of Dublin lives in Wexford" kind of line, along with the "Dublin's full of culchies" line. There are plenty of non-Dubs that actually do live within 10 minutes of Croke Park and plenty of Dublin fans that regularly go to Croke Park that travel some distances from other parts of the country and beyond. That Dublin fans only have to fall into Croke Park is a myth. JK Rowling couldn't write anything more fictional than that. My sincerest apologies if you didn't know about Santa.

wow im sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Struggling to get crowds? I read that attendances in both football and hurling are up on last year. Hurling massively so.

Huge amounts of empty seats in croker every game this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

yop wrote: »
    Donegal are still on the celebratory bus from last year

Hardly. Since the Down game they've looked like they barely have the energy to stand for 70 minutes, never mind play a game of football.

The team is enormously fatigued and looked uninterested after the 1st goal went in.

wow im sorry

Apology accepted. To make up for the Santa shock, I am sure we can organise a whip round here amongst the crew and get you that bike you were hoping to get next Christmas. Next year you can cycle to Croke Park on it and save yourself a fortune in transport costs. If you see any Dublin lads thumbing for lifts, give them a crossbar.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Hardly. Since the Down game they've looked like they barely have the energy to stand for 70 minutes, never mind play a game of football.

The team is enormously fatigued and looked uninterested after the 1st goal went in.

And thats what I said! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

yop wrote: »
    And thats what I said! :rolleyes:

Can't see where? I thought you were implying they were just complacent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭roshje

Apology accepted. To make up for the Santa shock, I am sure we can organise a whip round here amongst the crew and get you that bike you were hoping to get next Christmas. Next year you can cycle to Croke Park on it and save yourself a fortune in transport costs. If you see any Dublin lads thumbing for lifts, give them a crossbar.

I suppose they will be thumbing now there is a bus strike, and no Santa? now you have burst my bubble, will never recover from that relevation...........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭MfMan

blueser wrote: »
    Agreed. Stamping on the back of someone's head while they're lying defenceless on the ground. The act of a coward.

'twas actually on the shoulder blades, thankfully.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Can't see where? I thought you were implying they were just complacent.

Nope.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

MfMan wrote: »
    'twas actually on the shoulder blades, thankfully.

That's true, it was a stamp high on the back but not the head, we need to watch this space next we'll get language like '' he drove his foot through the downed players head ''

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

After all McGuinness's comments about possible serious injuries and one of his players does that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭harpsman

Well done Mayo. Looked awesome-go finish the job now.Thanks to Jim and the boys for a great run-i ll never forget 2012.
    Dissapointing level of bitterness toward a team that oulled itself up by its bootstraps to win an all ireland in not inconsiderable style. the keyboard warriors on here not fit to lace their boots.
    Once again-thanks for the memories Jim and the boys.

I suppose they will be thumbing now there is a bus strike, and no Santa? now you have burst my bubble, will never recover from that relevation...........

It hasn't spread to Bus Éireann or Irish Rail yet, so a large amount of Dublin fans will not be affected. If it spreads to those as well, it will make it a bit more difficult for the Dublin fans travelling from all around Ireland to Croke Park next Sunday for the Hurling. However, for the many Cork people living in Dublin it shouldn't be too much of a problem even if Dublin Bus are still out. After all, they'll only have to walk for about 10 minutes and fall in to Croke Park.

Brace yourself for another shock: There were Dublin fans at the Kerry v Cavan and Donegal v Mayo matches. Shocking, isn't it? Whatever about Santa, the revelation that some Dubliners actually go to Croke Park when Dublin aren't playing must be mind blowing for some. I did enjoy both of my trips, even though they took me more than 10 minutes each. Moving into that 11th minute is a killer. I know how marathon runners who hit the wall feel now.

Back on topic, I was glad to see Mayo win. If we don't win it, I would like to see Mayo bring Sam back west again. I don't think any of the 31 counties and London and New York would begrudge it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭mattser

You're not a Dub. It's a "Crosser".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Dana. Daniel o donnell. Mary coughlan. Your boys are taking one hell of a beating

Dana :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Congrats to Mayo. They were phenomenal today with AO'S a well deserved MOTM. They absolutely blew us away and it ended up as an embarrassing result. I sincerely hope they now go on and win it.

I laugh at the nonsense spouted on here about how Donegal have destroyed football, how it's great they were embarrassed today and how Jim McGuinness has finally been found out.

Donegal's "system" was essentially team work and lots of hard work. Hardly destroying football. Of course, you keyboard warriors basing your opinion on the Dublin match from 2011 won't care about that. The hatred of McGuinness baffles me & I can only put it down to good old fashioned Irish begrudgery since he got himself a great job at a club most of Ireland creams themselves over.

Again, congrats Mayo & I really do hope you manage to get over the line this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Also, although no real surprise that it was McGee who lost his cool, he's a disgrace for that stamp.

Be frustrated at being outplayed & hammered all over the pitch but for the love of jaysus, go out with a little bit of class.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

harpsman wrote: »
    Well done Mayo. Looked awesome-go finish the job now.Thanks to Jim and the boys for a great run-i ll never forget 2012.
    Dissapointing level of bitterness toward a team that oulled itself up by its bootstraps to win an all ireland in not inconsiderable style. the keyboard warriors on here not fit to lace their boots.
    Once again-thanks for the memories Jim and the boys.

I'll tell you why there is bitterness, Jim did a great job last year built around his players. I never liked how Donegal went about their business but I understand it and respected it.

IMHO This year was completely different Jim lost it for Donegal with the hypocritical premeditated media conversations trying to influence the officials.

It turned many neutrals against him.
    I'm not talking about the stamp, the lad was frustrated, it was the moaning and the poor mouth talk that never goes down well the in GAA.

I was delighted for Horan today.
    I'm delighted that the carry on we saw from Donegal was used to inspire Mayo, I'm delighted that the ref paid no attention to it.
    I'm delighted that Donegal and others will see that it was not a good thing, that other management teams will not copy it, including Donegal who have some cracking players and were as you say well worth their success last year.

mattser wrote: »
    You're not a Dub. It's a "Crosser".

I know it's a crosser, but give me some credit. If I started using words like that, none of the readers from the rest of the country would have a clue what I was talking about. It's a bit like when someone crosses the border into Cork, they are presented with a phrase book and a dictionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

THFC wrote: »
    There most certainly was a deal for the Cork fans last year on gaa.tickets.ie. I remember because I was considering buying it but would've been unable to go to Cork - Donegal.

Apologies. I wasnt at the hurling semi last year only the football.

Lapin wrote: »
    Dana :confused::confused::confused:

Come on, if you were from Derry, would you want to claim her? Donegal don't want Daniel and we certainly don't want Jedward. Any county that wants to claim them are welcome to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Kilkenny has already played four championship matches in Croke Park this year. :)

No they haven't. They haven't played any at all.

V Dublin was in Portlaoise

V Tipp was in Nowlan Park

V Cork was in Thurles.

Ps why isn't O Shea suspended for the semi?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

2 yellows is not suspension.

Straight red is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Neeson wrote: »
    2 yellows is not suspension.

Straight red is.

Ah right. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

I enjoyed reading this thread :D But hey its only a win into another semi final for this very good Mayo side. Grudge match has been well and truly sorted though and fair play to McGuiness for his graciousness in defeat after all his ****e talk in the week. Maigh Eo abu

Advertisement