Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo v Donegal Sunday 4th Aug @ 4pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

DazMarz wrote: »
    Mayo have a habit of knocking out the previous years' winners.

2013: knocked out Donegal (for all intents and purposes; the game is over)
    2012: knocked out Dublin
    2011: knocked out Cork

could this be their year, finally? It will be a most interesting 3 games that remain, whatever happens.

My unlcle who is always full of usefull info and mostly useless information just told me the last time mayo knocked out the 3 previous winners was 1951.
    I have not had the chance to look myself but I'm sure some gaa history buff on here will find out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

Syferus wrote: »
    McGuinness wasn't found out, nor was his system.

They got beat by a hungrier, better team. You don't 'get found out' when you already have an AI fresh in your pocket. The edge not being there this year was a very natural result of last season's heroics.

Now sit down and stop hurling stones from the ditch.

Yes they were found out!

It's obvious when Murphy and McFadden don't get the ball they struggle.

Stop making excuses like so many others, "looked tired/not as hungry". Donegals tactics were no use this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

LowOdour wrote: »
    IMHO,Id rather see Mayo face Kerry than Dublin, cus I feel the Dubs have the beating of Mayo. I understand that Tyrone are decent opponents, but Mayo should have more than enough for them in the SF(despite A O'S missing, stupidly).

A O'S won't miss the semi final as per previous posters above

Really hope Mayo can go and do it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭elefant

Delighted for Mayo, and very happy that it was Donegal that were on the end of that performance. I honestly got the impression that the Donegal players, from the very start, were playing with chips on their shoulders about their misguided feelings of not being protected by officials. Every tackle and free they seemed more interested in whinging to the referee than with getting on with football.

Also, Aidan O Shea. Wow, what a performance. I can't think of a more complete display that I've seen in a long, long time. Surely a shoe-in for player of the year if he can manage even close to that in his remaining games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

jimini0 wrote: »
    My unlcle who is always full of usefull info and mostly useless information just told me the last time mayo knocked out the 3 previous winners was 1951.
    I have not had the chance to look myself but I'm sure some gaa history buff on here will find out
    Well then we must have played an A versus B game and knocked ourselves out

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,660 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The stamp by McGee was the act of a coward. Stamping on a man lying on the ground unable to defend himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Who can forget back in 2010 they were knocked out by Longford up in Pearse Park?

This was mentioned today to me by a friend and that's why James Horan deserves all the credit he gets, he has elevated Mayo football to a place it hasn't been in a long time, even above the level that it was in the 2004 and 2006 All-Irelands, there's every indication that Mayo are playing at a higher level than they have in a long time I don't think any team will be glad to play them, there's certainly no sign that they will suffer defeats like they did at the hands of Kerry in the two deciders, Mayo will be favourites against Tyrone and close favourites against Kerry or Dublin if they get that far.

The West's Awake!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

In a way I'm glad Donegal got hammered today.

Just for the fact that the crap can now stop being spouted...

Donegal have an unbeatable system.
    Jim McGuinness is the greatest manager/tactician ever.
    Donegal will win the next 10 all Ireland's.
    They train harder and better than any team ever did before.
    Etc, etc...

Donegal were lucky last year with injuries. Take nothing from them...they were excellent last year and fielded almost the same team in every game and well deserved that all Ireland. However mayo today were brilliant and I don't even think that Donegal at full tilt would have beaten them.

As a Tyrone man I reckon we'll do well to stay within 6 or 7 points of mayo in the semis. In saying that...no team will be less begrudged an all Ireland than mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

This was mentioned today to me by a friend and that's why James Horan deserves all the credit he gets, he has elevated Mayo football to a place it hasn't been in a long time, even above the level that it was in the 2004 and 2006 All-Irelands, there's every indication that Mayo are playing at a higher level than they have in a long time I don't think any team will be glad to play them, there's certainly no sign that they will suffer defeats like they did at the hands at Kerry in the two deciders, Mayo will be favourites against Tyrone and close favourites against Kerry or Dublin if they get that far.

The West's Awake!
    Iv said it all year Mayo 2013 comfortably beats Mayo 2012 But it might not be enough But full credit to Horan, progress and maximising ability is all you can ask for

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Haven't seen any condemnation yet from Donegal for McGee's scandalous stamp today. Disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

blueser wrote: »
    Haven't seen any condemnation yet from Donegal for McGee's scandalous stamp today. Disappointing.

If he did it on the street he'd get six months in jail.

bohsboy wrote: »
    If he did it on the street he'd get six months in jail.
    Agreed. Stamping on the back of someone's head while they're lying defenceless on the ground. The act of a coward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Agreed. Stamping on the back of someone's head while they're lying defenceless on the ground. The act of a coward.

"Duty of care".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

Anyone got s link? Was it bad? Hope Mayo kick on but I fancy Tyrone to do it now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭mikerodgers96

SM746 wrote: »
    Anyone got s link? Was it bad? Hope Mayo kick on but I fancy Tyrone to do it now

mayo need to be careful against tyrone

they need to anticipate tyrones gameplan

and do a "doublethink"

i think mayo will do it this year finally....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Expected mayo to win but not in the manner they did obviously.
    We've been here before tho....think 96, 97 in particular as well as 2006, mayo had very impressive outings in croker only to fall short in the end. I wouldn't begrudge mayo the win but horan has q job to do keeping the mayo support in check

We've been here before tho....think 96, 97 in particular as well as 2006, mayo had very impressive outings in croker only to fall short in the end. I wouldn't begrudge mayo the win but horan has q job to do keeping the mayo support in check
    Nearly impossible. As someone said earlier, there'll be green and red sheep, green and red kerbstones, green and red painted VW Beetles, green and red hairstyles etc etc!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭mikerodgers96

Nearly impossible. As someone said earlier, there'll be green and red sheep, green and red kerbstones, green and red painted VW Beetles, green and red hairstyles etc etc!

dunno

i'd say we're 'cautiously' optimistic given events of the last 20 years in mayo

the old days of goin' apshi1t for the semis are well gone i'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Does O Shea miss the next game as he got that red card at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭roshje

Gaa looking after the dubs again, special prices for them because two teams in the semis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Does O Shea miss the next game as he got that red card at the end?

No, if it was a straight red he would.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

From what I understand, if you get 2 yellow cards in a game, you only miss the next game, if you have received 2 yellow cards in the same game, in the preceding 12 months. So Aidan needs to make sure he is a very, very good boy in the semi, or he'll be out for the AI final if Mayo make it that far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

roshje wrote: »
    Gaa looking after the dubs again, special prices for them because two teams in the semis

So you'd prefer an empty Croke park for games?
    Good thinking by gaa who are struggling to get crowds this year.
    No need for the paranoia.

bohsboy wrote: »
    So you'd prefer an empty Croke park for games?
    Good thinking by gaa who are struggling to get crowds this year.
    No need for the paranoia.

gosh if they are worried about an empty croke park from dubs fan who only have to fall into the door ,god help us

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

How are the GAA struggling for crowds this year. 70,000 in Croke Park yesterday and 63,000 today. Not much of a struggle there.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,655 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Some of them were a bit hard to listen to today. Jeering the Donegal supporters for leaving with 10 minutes left.
    They have short memories it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Ah would yeh cut out the shíte, Cork had the same last year in case yeh don't remember.

THFC wrote: »
    Ah would yeh cut out the shíte, Cork had the same last year in case yeh don't remember.

dont really, were they in both semis?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

So true. Nothing for Cork last year when both the hurlers and footballers made semi finals. Nothing in 2010 or 2008 either when both our teams made semi final stages. We have a journey to travel too unlike Dub fans.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

What a day and a performance. Totally wiped Donegal on the floor. Great powerful and pacey display.
    AOS was an animal possessed in midfield and some of the best fielding displays in a lot of years. Everything went for us today, will need to take this onto the Tyrone game and don't leave this as our AI performance.
    Surprised AOS was left on, Moran should have got a run. Thought the replacements did very well. Moran i thought had a quite game in the corner as had Freeman.
    Donegal stamp was disgraceful, all this holier than thou and Jimmy grabbing Lee Keegan on the sideline underlined they hypocrisy of their talk all week.
    Not sure what McQuillans game was but he lended to Donegal much to much on that game, would love to know what constitutes a free in his mind.
    Donegal are still on the celebratory bus from last year, we have learned that we have the ability to clock scores as have been proved all year, but no let up on pace and pressure now.
    Would have preferred if we kept the pressure on and didn't allow them anyway back, 60 minutes i hear before they scored their first point from play?

A great day, BUT....

Advertisement