Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo v Donegal Sunday 4th Aug @ 4pm

Options
  • 02-08-2013 3:10pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ladies and gentlemen,
    Sunday will present to us the eagerly awaited rematch of the 2012 AI finalists.

In the red (and green) corner we have Jimmy "Shark Eyes" Horannnnnnnnnnnn.
    Says very little, but when he does he means it.

In the Green (and gold) corner we have Jimmy's "Whinging Matches" McGuinnesssssss.
    Used to say very little but for the last few weeks sounds like someone has stolen his man bag and someone wants it back.

Mayo, if you ignore the previous opposition in Connacht look to be favorites, after a garden stroll into the QF's. This could bitterly bite them in the bum come Sunday.
    The return of Vaughan and COC to the starting lineup and the continued recovery of Andy Moran will aide the Mayo mens campaign to return Sam (not the fireman) to its rightful place.

Donegal, slid past Tyrone, tripped past Down and smashed their faces on the ground against Monaghan in Ulster didn't seem to be clicking, a poor league campaign before this, but a good solid performance against Laois will set them up to for this vital match.
    The return of Lacey is a massive boost, how fit he is, time will tell.
    Mc Hugh will be a loss, but they need Murphy "the messi" and the silky left peg of McFadden to push them along.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

***Keep it clean, no punching below the belt, no personal abuse or I set my granny on you ************

Result 143 votes

Mayo
    0% 0 votes
    Donegal
    74% 106 votes
    Draw
    25% 37 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Revenge for last year's final and the fact that they are on a mission could see Mayo through. They do have a good team. The two goals at the start of the final last year was the big thing. Mayo came back at them for the rest of that half. They won't make the same mistake again. Donegal don't look as good as they did last year, though not to be underestimated. Mayo to scrape through.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

yop wrote: »

In the red (and green) corner we have Jimmy "Shark Eyes" Horannnnnnnnnnnn.
    Says very little, but when he does he means it.

Is you 'aving a bit of a larf with that bit? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

A match up of a team that wants to win against a team afraid to lose .. the weight of Sam will be lifted from Donegal - Mayo quite comfortably 4-6 points

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Jimmy's "Whinging Matches" McGuinnesssssss.

Haw haw haw, jolly god quip young chap :rolleyes:

All the abuse is just going to make it so much sweeter when we beat you again on Sunday :P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Right guys, lets try keeping the sniping out of this and discuss the game. I know what has been said by both camps in the press this week has received a lot of publicity but let's try and put that to bed here and concentrate on the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

I think what's going to be a big factor is the number of players likely to feature at some stage who are carrying knocks/injuries/playing hurt.

Basically it seems that there is a high number of lads on both sides who you would say arent 100% match fit.

I can't help but wonder if further down the line this may come back to haunt the eventual winner of this game.

A case of winning the battle but losing the war.

In terms of the game itself I'm leaning towards Mayo as I think Donegal have been pretty poor this year and I really don't see them being able to suddenly switch it on. Any time they have played a Division 1 team this year they havent looked convincing (in both the league and the Championship) and that's before you consider the fact that Monaghan beat them.

Basically I think people tipping Donegal are doing it based on last year's performances as opposed to this years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

The more I think about this, the more I think Mayo will win, comfortably in the end.

Mayo by 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

It'll be tight but I'd say Mayo by 2 points. Don't know what happened Donegal this year but I think Mayo will bring the best we've seen this year out of them. Still think will Mayo have the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Mayo by about 5- wouldn't be surprised to see this game develop into a farce though with yellow cards everywhere and the ref struggling to keep a lid on things

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Focus_sligo

Donegal to step up to the mark and win by 2-3 points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

Mayo will win this by the largest margin of any of the weekend games imvvhaho

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Think the players off the bench could be as important as the starting 15. If this game is going to be played at high intensity and both funnelling back players then it will be difficult to maintain a full 70 minutes.

Hope the game doesn't turn into a farce of yellows. Weather conditions not meant to be great so could be a relatively low scoring game.
    Hoping Mayo by 2 but we need to stop Donegal getting a start on us and need to score a few goals.
    Mayo have kept a clean sheet in all championship games this year where Donegal have yet to score a goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Donegal have yet to score a goal.

Donegal scored a two goals against Tyrone and they kept a clean sheet against Tyrone,Down,Monaghan and Laois. Any change of adding a (who will win) poll to this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭EmmaThomas

Hi,

Been to croke park many of times but never been up in the upper tier so I was wondering if Section 703 row Q is good place to watch the game on sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

EmmaThomas wrote: »
    Hi,

Been to croke park many of times but never been up in the upper tier so I was wondering if Section 703 row Q is good place to watch the game on sunday?

As often mentioned, there are no bad seats in Croke Park.

Lower Cusack/Hogan are the best but you have a great view from everywhere.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Donegal scored a two goals against Tyrone and they kept a clean sheet against Tyrone,Down,Monaghan and Laois. Any change of adding a (who will win) poll to this thread?

Jaysus! I would swear I read that during the week in one of the papers! Must look at that again!

1. Robert Hennelly - Breaffy
    2. Tom Cunniffe - Castlebar Mitchels
    3. Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
    4. Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
    5. Lee Keegan - Westport
    6. Donal Vaughan - Ballinrobe
    7. Colm Boyle - Davitts
    8. Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
    9. Seamus O'Shea - Breaffy
    10. Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
    11. Richie Feeney - Castlebar Mitchels
    12. Alan Dillon - Ballintubber
    13. Cillian O'Connor - Ballintubber
    14. Alan Freeman - Aghamore
    15. Andy Moran - Ballaghaderreen (Captain)

16. Brendan Walsh - Ballintubber
    17. Shane McHale - Knockmore
    18. Michael Walsh - Ardnaree
    19. Kevin Keane - Westport
    20. Barry Moran - Castlebar Mitchels
    21. Enda Varley - Garrymore
    22. Chris Barrett - Belmullet
    23. Cathal Carolan - Crossmolina
    24. Darren Coen - Hollymount/Carramore
    25. Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
    26. Jason Gibbons - Ballintubber

Donegal team -
    Durcan, McGrath, N. MeGee, E. McGee, McGlynn, Lacey, Thompson, Gallagher, Kavanagh
    Bradley, R. McHugh, David Walsh, McBrearty, Murphy, McFadden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Stick me down for a Richie Feeney hat-trick.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

As stated on a different thread, Mayo by 6 or 7. Too much hunger compared to Donegal IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Stoner wrote: »
    As stated on a different thread, Mayo by 6 or 7. Too much hunger compared to Donegal IMHO.

Six or seven would be nice!

I really cant call this one. I bit the bullet and watched the final from last year. There really wasn't a whole lot in it. Mayo really put it up to them after the two goals. We were guilty of missing chances at the start of the second half and kicked far too many long balls which donegal mopped up with ease, especially when aiden o Shea was moved into full forward.

Both sides have niggling injuries. It's also a concern that we went through connacht without a test, even though the main reason was us being clinical, which ain't a bad thing.

Heart says mayo by 2, head says don't put down any bets because it could go either way. Hopefully we come out alive Sunday..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Six or seven would be nice!

I really cant call this one. I bit the bullet and watched the final from last year. There really wasn't a whole lot in it. Mayo really put it up to them after the two goals. We were guilty of missing chances at the start of the second half and kicked far too many long balls which donegal mopped up with ease, especially when aiden o Shea was moved into full forward.

Both sides have niggling injuries. It's also a concern that we went through connacht without a test, even though the main reason was us being clinical, which ain't a bad thing.

Heart says mayo by 2, head says don't put down any bets because it could go either way. Hopefully we come out alive Sunday..

A draw would be nice..

..for Roscommon :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Syferus wrote: »
    A draw would be nice..

Are you looking forward to the FBD league already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Astala

A draw would be nice..

Are Roscommon really that bitter about Mayo? The fact that the main rivalry in Connacht is Mayo v Galway, and that Mayo are far superior to Roscommon, must be irritating for you, but I do believe that as mayo are the only Connacht county left in the race for Sam Maguire, ye should all support us. The vast majority of Galway fans support us, as we supported them last Saturday.

Astala wrote: »
    Are Roscommon really that bitter about Mayo? The fact that the main rivalry in Connacht is Mayo v Galway, and that Mayo are far superior to Roscommon, must be irritating for you, but I do believe that as mayo are the only Connacht county left in the race for Sam Maguire, ye should all support us. The vast majority of Galway fans support us, as we supported them last Saturday.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

I'd like to see Mayo win, but their biggest problem will be the lack of any sort of competitive match. They look good but are essentially coming into this match cold. It may work in their advantage, it may not. No one really knows, probably not even the team themselves know what to expect.

curry-muff wrote: »
    As often mentioned, there are no bad seats in Croke Park.

Lower Cusack/Hogan are the best but you have a great view from everywhere.

I'd be bigging up the seating too usually but you'll be drowned in this weather if your're too close to the front. I think row Q is far enough back to avoid a trip to waterworld.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Astala wrote: »

If the rossies were the last connacht team left would i support them? Would i ****. Galway i can take or leave but rossies? no way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Mayo by 3 or 4 points. 14/15 points will be enough to win this one (maybe less if weather is very poor) and I think Mayo are capable.

I wouldn't be shocked to see someone sent off in the first half for two relatively soft yellow cards. McQuillan will probably throw them around like confetti in the first 10 mins when any sort of big hits go in to try keep control. Hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't be shocked...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

I'd be bigging up the seating too usually but you'll be drowned in this weather if your're too close to the front. I think row Q is far enough back to avoid a trip to waterworld.

It's the upper stand. Depends which way the wind blow.

Advertisement