Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo v Donegal Sunday 4th Aug @ 4pm

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Ciaran Kilkenny :cool:
    31370791.jpg
    kraggy wrote: »
    No they haven't. They haven't played any at all.

V Dublin was in Portlaoise

V Tipp was in Nowlan Park

V Cork was in Thurles.

Ps why isn't O Shea suspended for the semi?

One must read all the thread :cool::)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

MfMan wrote: »
    'twas actually on the shoulder blades, thankfully.
    Fair enough; I stand corrected. Still the act of a coward though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Some of them were a bit hard to listen to today. Jeering the Donegal supporters for leaving with 10 minutes left.
    They have short memories it seems.

Mayo supporter here, yeah I was very disappointed with a handful of Mayo supporters today, goading the vanquished Donegal supporters.Donegal were worthy champions last year and so many wished us well for the remainder of the season, go on and win it.I detest unsporting behaviour from any quarters.I recall well how decent the fans from the Kingdom were after the 2004 and 2006 finals.Never easy to lose a game by any margin, we've had our fair share of disappointments and I'd hate our traditionally great relations with our friends in wee Donegal to be ruined by a vocal minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Congrats to mayo. big win, and deserved the margin too, they obviously feel that they have been underselling themselves with performances over the past year or 2 to go out and do that.

Wasnt a dirty game, despite what people are thinking. Disappointed that Mcgee did what he did in the 2nd half. It was obnoxious rather than dangerous if you look at it-there was no high speed collision, but it was quite ugly nonetheless.

Can Mayo win Sam?? honestly, trends are there to be bucked. Tradition is a nothing in the modern game. I think on their day they will give any team their fill of it, i wonder was that one of the best displays of football in croke park ever yesterday??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

eddie73 wrote: »
    i wonder was that one of the best displays of football in croke park ever yesterday??

Has to be one of the greatest displays I have ever seen. There was a stage during the first half - the last 15 mins I think -where Donegal couldn't even lay a hand on ball or man.

It was mesmerising stuff. If Mayo play at even 60% of that pace, they will still beat Tyrone.

A final is an altogether different prospect for Mayo, but on the basis of that display yesterday, you would have to make them favourites.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

No one can deny mayo played well but no way was it the same donegal team they met in last years all ireland final.

Mayo still havent been tested this year to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

well done Mayo, super performance but that was the poorest ever defence of an All ireland by a team in many many years.donegals body language was just awful from the word go and they were horrific. leitrim or london would have beaten donegal yesterday.

the hype that went with them though was just unreal. win one all ireland and suddenly there had never been a team like them before.

No one can deny mayo played well but no way was it the same donegal team they met in last years all ireland final.

Mayo still havent been tested this year to be fair.

Sorry, but I don't buy this...Donegal had 13 starters of the 15 who started last years AI final.

Donegal was a massive test for them yesterday, and I don't think anyone would have disagreed with that before throw in.

The fact that Mayo passed the test with flying colours doesn't mean it wasn't a test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

realies wrote: »
    One must read all the thread :cool::)

One is on a phone and has bad eyesight.

Thanks. Figured it was something smart alright, like the minors or something. Should've thought of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

keith16 wrote: »
    Sorry, but I don't buy this...Donegal had 13 starters of the 15 who started last years AI final.

Donegal was a massive test for them yesterday, and I don't think anyone would have disagreed with that before throw in.

The fact that Mayo passed the test with flying colours doesn't mean it wasn't a test.

But surely you can see donegal did not play well this year or to anywhere near the standard of last year.

• Advertisement

well done Mayo, super performance but that was the poorest ever defence of an All ireland by a team in many many years.donegals body language was just awful from the word go and they were horrific. leitrim or london would have beaten donegal yesterday.

the hype that went with them though was just unreal. win one all ireland and suddenly there had never been a team like them before.

Again, I would say it's a bit of a dis-service to Mayo to say London or Leitrim would have beaten Donegal. With that performance, Mayo made Donegal look very very ordinary.

Donegal didn't turn up or didn't provide a test or performed poorly or lost because of any Donegal perspective you care to put on it - it was simply because Mayo absolutely murdered them.

Agree that the hype surrounding Donegal was a bit much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I hope Mayo wipe the floor with Tyrone. Can't stand Mickey Harte and his high horse. More importantly, at least Mayo played football yesterday. Unlike other teams who are ruining the sport.

Football really needs this year's championship to be won by a footballing team. The sport has almost gone to the dogs.

But surely you can see donegal did not play well this year or to anywhere near the standard of last year.

Ok yes, I would agree with that - but playing badly and getting to quarter finals is what good team are capable off.

Donegal would have been looking at that game yesterday and saying, "you know what, we're not playing the best but here we are against a team we beat in a final last year"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

No, if it was a straight red he would.

it's not much of a deterrent to stop the cynical fouling

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

it's not much of a deterrent to stop the cynical fouling

Neither of his wins were cynical

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

yop wrote: »
    Neither of his wins were cynical

Not too sure what you're on about. I asked the question would O Shea be banned for the next match and somebody answered. Is this what you are referring to? I never mentioned anything about anyones wins being cynical. Who is the "his" you mentioned?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Just heard a man on Mid West Radio say 'We'll keep our feet on the ground, but this is the year' :pac: Gotta love contradictory statements.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I think it's fair to say that this Donegal team and management team were a completely different kettle of fish compared to last year, they should come back strongly from this.
    However this Mayo team is also a lot further down the road from the team Donegal defeated last year.

Neil Gallagher in the form he was in last year would have given AOS a good game yesterday.

There is a definite cycle here Cork had their close run before 2010.
    Dublin had the Cork game in 2010 before winning in 2011.
    Donegal had Dublin in 2011 before winning in 2012,
    Mayo had Donegal in 2012 before......

In all the last three examples the managers were all new enough or were on year one of a new system.
    It does look like it's Mayo's turn now, few would begrudge it to them, Donegal can live off 2012 for a couple of years like most fans would.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Yeah hopefully we can keep the nonsensical hype in check, nothing win yet.

Is the hype and excitement not a part of it, once the team is kept in check :) It was great driving through villages in cavan last week and even dare I say it up in Donegal last year, IMO mayo should go all out and show there support in there villages and towns all over there county and likewise to the other teams left including my Dublin;)

Yeah hopefully we can keep the nonsensical hype in check, nothing won yet.

• Advertisement

realies wrote: »
    Is the hype and excitement not a part of it, once the team is kept in check :) It was great driving through villages in cavan last week and even dare I say it up in Donegal last year, IMO mayo should go all out and show there support in there villages and towns all over there county and likewise to the other teams left including my Dublin;)

No problem realies with showing support for one's county, but some Mayo supporters have tended to start counting their chickens after one good performance.The majority are more realistic in managing their expectations.I suppose the previous All Ireland losses have taken their toll.

seligehgit wrote: »
    No problem realies with showing support for one's county, but some Mayo supporters have tended to start counting their chickens after one good performance.The majority are more realistic in managing their expectations.I suppose the previous All Ireland losses have taken their toll.

:( It could be worse, In Dublin the sec they win leinster some people & all the national media put Dublin down as favorites to win that year :( It wrecks me head.

Anyway good luck to all & well done yesterday, yis were mighty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Donegal didn't turn up or didn't provide a test or performed poorly or lost because of any Donegal perspective you care to put on it - it was simply because Mayo absolutely murdered them.

lets not forget, the same Donegal team scored 7 points in 70 minutes in the Ulster final a few weeks back, against a fairly limited Monaghan side.

add in 3 goals yesterday that came from basic handling errors and youve got a resounding win for Mayo that is not all down to Mayo themselves. something just isnt right for Donegal and this was exposed yesterday

Mayo will beat Tyrone, but Tyrone are limited also. I wouldnt be putting Mayos name on Sam Maguire just yet, they will need to play like yesterday 2 more times this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

lets not forget, the same Donegal team scored 7 points in 70 minutes in the Ulster final a few weeks back, against a fairly limited Monaghan side.

add in 3 goals yesterday that came from basic handling errors and youve got a resounding win for Mayo that is not all down to Mayo themselves. something just isnt right for Donegal and this was exposed yesterday

Mayo will beat Tyrone, but Tyrone are limited also. I wouldnt be putting Mayos name on Sam Maguire just yet, they will need to play like yesterday 2 more times this year.

Or how about Donegals tactics were found out by superior tacticians????? And calling Monaghan limited? They could and should have beaten Tyrone who are seen as one of the countries best teams?

:confused::confused::confused:

Donegal, had they got to another final could be seen as a great team. Now, at the minute (next year to come) they are a once off.

McGuiness might be getting the sack from Celtic after it. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Or how about Donegals tactics were found out by superior tacticians?????

I don't understand why, as a Mayo fan, you would want to make the victory into more than it was.

It was a complete performance that exposed every weakness of a physically and mentally exhuasted team struggling with injuries and fatigue.

Surely that's how a realistic and sensible Mayo fan would want to measure it? It's clear that a lot of fans were bent on revenge, but Mayo did not beat the Donegal of last year and for their own sake, should acknowledge that fact.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

I don't understand why, as a Mayo fan, you would want to make the victory into more than it was.

It was a complete performance that exposed every weakness of a physically and mentally exhuasted team struggling with injuries and fatigue.

Surely that's how a realistic and sensible Mayo fan would want to measure it? It's clear that a lot of fans were bent on revenge, but Mayo did not beat the Donegal of last year and for their own sake, should acknowledge that fact.

Why would they be exhausted?????? They weren't exhausted v Tyrone. Tyrone didn't know how to play them.

The other side of the coin is that is Donegal must be hugely concerned with the decline of their team inside 12 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

The other side of the coin is that is Donegal must be hugely concerned with the decline of their team inside 12 months?

I wouldn't be hugely concerned but there are issues. My main worry would be the lack of options, especially in the half forward line where the best teams have exceptionally good players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I sincerely hope that the All Ireland Final is Dublin v. Mayo. Going on form and how both teams play good, attacking football: it would promise to be a cracker.

Even a Kerry v. Mayo final would be a good spectacle.

Obviously, I'm hoping that one of the 4 remaining gets their clock cleaned in spectacular fashion by Mayo (not naming names now...).

As a Dub fan, I obviously want to see Dublin winning the All Ireland. But if Dublin can't win it, I'd sincerely hope that either of Mayo or Kerry do. If Tyrone win it, it will vindicate and validate their tactics and their cynical nature. Dublin, Mayo and Kerry all play good, decent football.

If Dublin have to get beaten by anyone, at least if they get beaten by Kerry or Mayo it will have been through playing football, not by playing a hybrid of GAA and Rugby League.

Fair play to Mayo too, (to get back on topic). They played a master class of fluid, attacking football and it could only be admired. This really could be their year. I don't think anyone in the country would begrudge them their first All Ireland in 60-odd years. And seeing as the grandfather was from Mayo (via New York), I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world if they won it and Dublin didn't! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Eamonn McGee having a spat with a few lads on twitter now, you'd think he'd keep his head down after his act of thuggery yesterday - as if he hasn't disgraced himself enough already this weekend.

Advertisement