Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭prunudo

Oh again, you mistakingly assume some sympathy for Trump because I didn't come out with the usual Trump rantings from people that don't like him.

Of course he can be discussed, but Irish issues should always dominate on Irish media.

There is increasingly little international news coverage now in Irish media. Our version of international news is Trump and Brexit and that's it.

Agree, we get very little news about whats happening in Europe. And before someone jumps in 'what about covid' I mean actual news of whats going on in individual countries unless there's some atrocity or disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,594 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Oh again, you mistakingly assume some sympathy for Trump because I didn't come out with the usual Trump rantings from people that don't like him.

Of course he can be discussed, but Irish issues should always dominate on Irish media.

There is increasingly little international news coverage now in Irish media. Our version of international news is Trump and Brexit and that's it.

Yeah, I can't think of any examples of China, Spain or Italy having been in the news over the past couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭boardise

Hitler?

Which Hitler ...Maximilian , Kurt or Franz ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Trump (right now) and Brexit are two of the biggest current affairs events in my life time to this point.

What international stories have taken place over the recent months which you felt received no coverage on Irish media?

Bear in mind, that not so long ago, Irish media discussing current affairs (anywhere) was only a few hours a week on one radio and one TV station whereas now there are vastly more resources dedicated to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭monstermag

To quote Black rapper and activists Killer Mike "l love CNN but l gotta say to CNN right now. Karma's a mother. Stop feeding fear and anger every day. Stop making people so fearful and give them hope" it was an incredible speech and a real slap in the face to CNN.
    Fear sells, division sells, anger sells, war sells and we all know media organisations are in the businesse of selling.
    It's all a bit murcky for my liking. Partisan news outlets are never a good idea and l include Fox news in that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,138 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Trump (right now) and Brexit are two of the biggest current affairs events in my life time to this point.

What international stories have taken place over the recent months which you felt received no coverage on Irish media?

Bear in mind, that not so long ago, Irish media discussing current affairs (anywhere) was only a few hours a week on one radio and one TV station whereas now there are vastly more resources dedicated to it.

Did you not live through the economic crash? The Celtic Tiger? The American led Middle East wars in the 2000s? The Troubles?

You just display a certain arrogance about American matters. I suppose arrogance is a trait of most Americans - their president and their news is the most important.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Yeah, I can't think of any examples of China, Spain or Italy having been in the news over the past couple of months.

We got very little coverage from southern Europe. Yes there was nightly reports.. about 2 minutes. That was it. Hardly any people on the ground giving reports to radio programmes.

I realise there is a language issue and it's easier with American journalists because they speak English. But I think more effort needs to be applied so we hear more from the Continent and less from New York or where ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Ol' Donie wrote: »

He has a point. Irish media is very much preoccupied about what is going on in English speaking countries. Maybe it's because I come from small country but the news I would follow there would cover a lot more countries. They wouldn't be positive about Trump though.

For example I checked world news section in newspaper I sometimes read (standard daily). Among others it covers tensions on border between India and China, protests in France, house where Hitler was born becoming police station, government in Kosovo and gas dispute between Greek and Turkish side in Cyprus... I'm not saying I read all of it but there is a lot more narrow focus in Irish media.

Why Trump? American presdents are voted in every 4 years and he is hardly the only rehab elected. If anything Obama's election was much more significant. Similarly refugee crisis, economic crisis, Arab spring, Syria, Lybia and fall of Gadafi, rise of populist politics, abortion referendum, gay marriage, Venezuela and so on. I could probably think of some more. There is very much anglo American bias in your assessment what's the most significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ahwell

It's not as if they don't have ways of gauging which topics attract listeners and which don't. They have the JNLR figures and they have the listeners responses. Just because you personally aren't that interested in Trump or Brexit doesn't mean everybody else thinks the same. Is there really a big appetite for the type of international news coverage you're calling for? I'm sure your ideal radio show would be worthy and all...but I would doubt that you would get many people tuning in to it. There is a reason why TV stations stick Euronews on in the middle of the night and not during the prime time hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭monstermag

Ahwell wrote: »
    It's not as if they don't have ways of gauging which topics attract listeners and which don't. They have the JNLR figures and they have the listeners responses. Just because you personally aren't that interested in Trump or Brexit doesn't mean everybody else thinks the same. Is there really a big appetite for the type of international news coverage you're calling for? I'm sure your ideal radio show would be worthy and all...but I would doubt you would get many people tuning in to it. There is a reason why TV stations stick Euronews on in the middle of the night and not during the prime time hours.

Judging by the exit polls in the last general election brexit wasn't something that overly concerned people in fact just 1% said it was an factor in how they voted.
    I actually think Euronews is one of the better news channels, covers a wide range of topics. Personally l think France 24 is head and shoulders above our own homebased news channels, excellent content.

Did you not live through the economic crash? The Celtic Tiger? The American led Middle East wars in the 2000s? The Troubles?

You just display a certain arrogance about American matters. I suppose arrogance is a trait of most Americans - their president and their news is the most important.

I did live through them.
    And they received their due attention and analysis while they were occurring.
    But, as I said, Trump (right now) and Brexit are hugely significant news items.

I'm laughing here at you accusing me of being arrogant when you are so perturbed at the top news item in the world being discussed on an Irish radio station.

Not to mind, did you see the rest of the running order on todays PK show, travelling around Ireland, international flying rule changes, gardening, the impact of Covid-19 on leaving certs and on schools in general were all covered. Seems like it there was once again plenty in it for an Irish audience.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Why Trump? American presdents are voted in every 4 years and he is hardly the only rehab elected. If anything Obama's election was much more significant. Similarly refugee crisis, economic crisis, Arab spring, Syria, Lybia and fall of Gadafi, rise of populist politics, abortion referendum, gay marriage, Venezuela and so on. I could probably think of some more. There is very much anglo American bias in your assessment what's the most significant.

A couple of things about this.

A - All the above received comparable coverage on media as they were occurring.
    B - You dismiss Trump yet mention the rise of populist politics as being an item of more significance when he is the eptiome of this phenomenon in recent times.
    C - If you think that the topic which most of the world is paying close attention to right now and Brexit which has massive implications for Ireland is a sign of Anglo-American Bias, I don't know what to say to that. It's hardly surprising that people are going to pay more attention to that which affects them or is likely going to rather than a magazine piece which is somewhat entertaining but of no material impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ahwell

monstermag wrote: »
    Judging by the exit polls in the last general election brexit wasn't something that overly concerned people in fact just 1% said it was an factor in how they voted.
    I actually think Euronews is one of the better news channels, covers a wide range of topics. Personally l think France 24 is head and shoulders above our own homebased news channels, excellent content.

I wasn't having a go at the quality of Euronews, my point was it doesn't have a huge audience.

A couple of things about this.

A - All the above received comparable coverage on media as they were occurring.
    B - You dismiss Trump yet mention the rise of populist politics as being an item of more significance when he is the eptiome of this phenomenon in recent times.
    C - If you think that the topic which most of the world is paying close attention to right now and Brexit which has massive implications for Ireland is a sign of Anglo-American Bias, I don't know what to say to that. It's hardly surprising that people are going to pay more attention to that which affects them or is likely going to rather than a magazine piece which is somewhat entertaining but of no material impact.
    You mentioned two topics, both are current and you said are the most significant topics in your life. I didn't say they should be not discussed but I certainly think describing election of Trump as one of the two most significant events of your life is a bit weird. Bush went to war in Iraq that dragged on and on and had huge geopolitical consequences. Brexit will have them too but Trump is not that significant unless you get your news from a Twitter feed. He rattles a lot but he is just one of the symptoms of wider trends...so yeah you are subscribing higher importance to anglo american events when there is shifting of power towards China (nothing to do with Corona).

And I bet you Brexit is not the topic most of the world is paying attention to. Europe is not that important anymore. You can claim that from Irish perspective but don't assume your perspective is most of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

Pat expressing surprise at the amount of pro Trump texts coming in :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

Micheál Martin is showing his ineptness again this morning. Rambling on, talking a lot but answering nothing. The prospect of him leading a government is depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Renno123 wrote: »
    Rambling on, talking a lot but answering nothing.

Isn't that what most of them do?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

Isn't that what most of them do?

in my opinion, no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

5555555555 wrote: »
    Doonbeg cúnts probably.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Communist scum on the radio ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Communist scum on the radio ATM.

Murphys a tool but I'll take him over a fascist any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,745 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Paul Murphy when asked what the police in the US should have done when they came across looters (for example the likes of the looting of the Louis Vuitton store), he said they should have taken the knee.

Basically his point is that the police are at fault for the looting.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

BPKS wrote: »
    Paul Murphy when asked what the police in the US should have done when they came across looters (for example the likes of the looting of the Louis Vuitton store), he said they should have taken the knee.

He didn't say that , he said that looting comes about from other actions and he spoke about some police taking the knee in alliance with protestors.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,745 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

murpho999 wrote: »
    He didn't say that , he said that looting comes about from other actions and he spoke about some police taking the knee in alliance with protestors.

Kenny asked him a direct question about what exactly the police should have done in situations where the rioters were looting stores.

Murphy answered that the police should have taken the knee.

Listen back to yourself Paul:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Kenny asked him a direct question about what exactly the police should have done in situations where the rioters were looting stores.

Murphy answered that the police should have taken the knee.

Listen back to yourself Paul:D

Ok that's not what I heard but fair enough.

I thought it was a poor interview by him full of double standards and it's just him jumping on a populist bandwagon and no real substance behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

And then duly ignored all but one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

I don't think he said that either...but not far off.
    murpho999 wrote: »

That's how I heard it, but he did seem to suggest that the police should just back off from the looters. Pat made the distinction between legitimate protesters and rioters/looters and Murphy couldn't bring himself to advocate for any kind of police intervention against the latter...then going on to imply that undercover police were acting as instigators in the looting.

I was waiting for Pat to lay into him, but it was probably best to just let him keep talking. Easily one of the most cringe inducing interviews from a politician I've ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Cole wrote: »

I was waiting for Pat to lay into him, but it was probably best to just let him keep talking. Easily one of the most cringe inducing interviews from a politician I've ever heard.

Even worse then when he was on about nationalising the airlines because what does Willie walsh know about flying planes.

• Advertisement

Usual stunt to overstate the support of Trump in Ireland to give the impression of division.

Advertisement