Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Aren't most radio guests on the likes of the PK, Today show on to flog something?

No.
    Callan57 wrote: »
    But they aren't allowed dictate the terms of the interview are they?

There is no proof that he was allowed.
    I agree, they shouldn't be, but I think the only suggestion that he was was a comment made here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Callan57 wrote: »
    But they aren't allowed dictate the terms of the interview are they?

I have no idea, but if I was appearing on a show to flog my latest book or whatever, I'd assume I wouldn't just be ambushed with questions about current politics or family, no matter how interesting they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭maebee

serfboard wrote: »
    I think that any reasonable listener, hearing that Stanley Johnson is coming on, would expect that questions about the current political situation in the UK would be asked. Even if he was not the Prime Minister's father, he is a former MEP, a former European Commission employee, a general election candidate in the UK as recently as 2005 and he supported Remain in the 2016 referendum.

He also has some of his own daft opinions which he could have been asked about too.

Great comeback from George Galloway on Stanley's daft opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bossdrum

serfboard wrote: »
    I've never thought that about Pat Kenny.

As others have said, the lack of a more thorough questioning may have been as a result of terms and conditions around Stanley Johnson being interviewed.

If that wasn't the case, Pat should have questioned him more thoroughly. If it was the case, then Pat should never have agreed to do the interview.

Either way Pat, your fans are disappointed!

Bertie Ahern has been on with Pat numerous times over the years sharing his wisdom with us.
    He has never been questioned about bank accounts, bookie winnings, digouts or tribunals etc.
    It's a bit late to be disappointed him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭elperello

bossdrum wrote: »
    Bertie Ahern has been on with Pat numerous times over the years sharing his wisdom with us.
    He has never been questioned about bank accounts, bookie winnings, digouts or tribunals etc.
    It's a bit late to be disappointed him now.

If Bertie was to spend the first 10 minutes of every interview defending his indefensible position on personal finances it would become very tedious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bossdrum

elperello wrote: »
    If Bertie was to spend the first 10 minutes of every interview defending his indefensible position on personal finances it would become very tedious.

Just one 10 minute segment would be enough to remind people.
    With the answers he'd give, no credible station or interviewer would go near him again for a serious discussion.

bossdrum wrote: »
    Just one 10 minute segment would be enough to remind people.
    With the answers he'd give, no credible station or interviewer would go near him again for a serious discussion.

All you need to know is readily available with a quick search

If nobody interviewed him we would miss a lot of useful insight that he has gained from a lifetime in politics.

I'd trade off seeing him squirm for 10 minutes to be able to listen to his take on today's politics and stories from his time in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Ahwell

All you need to know is readily available with a quick search

If nobody interviewed him we would miss a lot of useful insight that he has gained from a lifetime in politics.

I'd trade off seeing him squirm for 10 minutes to be able to listen to his take on today's politics and stories from his time in power.

Even if you try and put aside the Mahon Tribunal findings and his role in our economy going off a cliff in 2007, the defence mechanism he spent his "lifetime in politics" perfecting, Bertiespeak, makes him a particularly poor contributor on any topic. There is nothing to be gained by having Ahern on the show.

Ahwell wrote: »
    Even if you try and put aside the Mahon Tribunal findings and his role in our economy going off a cliff in 2007, the defence mechanism he spent his "lifetime in politics" perfecting, Bertiespeak, makes him a particularly poor contributor on any topic. There is nothing to be gained by having Ahern on the show.

I'm not putting aside any aspect of BA's career or defending him.

I'd rather hear different opinions on the radio and make my own mind up than have Newstalk do it for me.

I always find him an interesting contributor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Ahwell

I always find him an interesting contributor.

I don't. I think he spent so many years trying to be deliberately incoherent it's now ingrained. Making him extremely tedious to listen to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Ahwell wrote: »
    I don't. I think he spent so many years trying to be deliberately incoherent it's now ingrained. Making him extremely tedious to listen to.

I disagree...despite having reservations about his character he is a very canny operator and astute political commentator... and.now that he's out of the game I'd certainly afford his contributions more time than I might have done in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Pat still talking about a Trump rally from 3 days ago.

Is Pat spent at this stage as a broadcaster?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

Pat still talking about a Trump rally from 3 days ago.

Is Pat spent at this stage as a broadcaster?

Nope. Trump is spent as a President though.

That's what the best radio broadcaster in Ireland is showing by highlighting that car crash of a "rally"

daithi7 wrote: »
    Nope. Trump is spent as a President though.

That's what the best radio broadcaster in Ireland is showing by highlighting that car crash of a "rally"

What is the relevance of that event to us though, especially days after it happened.

It's like Pat doesn't even bother now. Just the same stuff and topics every day, Trump being the main item. Same stuff being said about Trump each day, read out texts and rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

I listened to Pat earlier talking to Colm Toibin about Trump and his supporters (again)...yawn. The sneering was dripping from the radio.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

When Trump gets re-elected Pat should just retire. Surely he doesn't have it in him to get so worked up for another 4 years?

As I heard it Colm Toibin gave a very good interview with some thoughtful insights into life in Covid USA.

Regarding Trump it's kind of hard to do an interview of that type without referring to him.

Toibin clearly has no time for him and his supporters and said so clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Cole wrote: »
    I listened to Pat earlier talking to Colm Toibin about Trump and his supporters (again)...yawn. The sneering was dripping from the radio.
    When Trump gets re-elected Pat should just retire. Surely he doesn't have it in him to get so worked up for another 4 years?

Yeah, I still can't figure out how they spend so much talking about the single most eventful politician of most of our lifetimes. On a current affairs show.

I mean it doesn't make sense...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

As I heard it Colm Toibin gave a very good interview with some thoughtful insights into life in Covid USA.

Regarding Trump it's kind of hard to do an interview of that type without referring to him.

Toibin clearly has no time for him and his supporters and said so clearly.

Fair enough..maybe I'm being a bit harsh...but I just get weary with Pat's almost daily hobby horse.

Fair enough..maybe I'm being a bit harsh...but I just get weary with Pat's almost daily hobby horse.

The same stuff being said since 2016. Over and over again.

And then he reads out the Trump texts which I have a feeling are written by his researchers to sound more controversial than they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,595 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

The same stuff being said since 2016. Over and over again.

And then he reads out the Trump texts which I have a feeling are written by his researchers to sound more controversial than they are.

?

The president's handling of a worldwide pandemic, and his election 2020 rallies are the same stories as in 2016?

They...well, they aren't. They just...they aren't!?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

To be fair I think it's more of a case of Pat / Newstalk getting sucked into the massive empty vessel that is the media furore around Trump....prior to his election, but most certainly 6 months into his presidency it was clear what his character was....he made no mystery of how he felt regarding honesty, integrity, gaslighting etc. etc.

He and his campaign's biggest achievement has been managing to keep the media feeding off of the b**ls**t he comes out with on a daily basis. Yes his political decisions have consequences but much of what he does / says is a juvenile sideshow done solely to get attention. If they reported in the most factual way possible on the policy issues and ignored the other nonsense I wonder would it raise the hackles of people as much...

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    ?

The president's handling of a worldwide pandemic, and his election 2020 rallies are the same stories as in 2016?

They...well, they aren't. They just...they aren't!?

The U.S. President?

Yes, they discuss them topics but it always comes back to the same points. Hillary, "his base", his chances of winning the 2020 election, which is months away. Yada yada.

Maybe it makes Irish people feel superior now? Because I'm not sure how to explain this current obsession with Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

The U.S. President?

Yes, they discuss them topics but it always comes back to the same points. Hillary, "his base", his chances of winning the 2020 election, which is months away. Yada yada.

Maybe it makes Irish people feel superior now? Because I'm not sure how to explain this current obsession with Trump.

Maybe it Trump was less of an idiot would give PK less to talk about him.

salonfire wrote: »

Many of us are screaming out to hear more about how European countries are dealing with the reopening of their economies and we hear absolutely nothing about it on Irish media. We hear some of Britain and loads and loads from America.

Are we just a sad little America obsessed country?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭maebee

salonfire wrote: »

We all know that Trump is an idiot but PK is overkill on him, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

Many of us are screaming out to hear more about how European countries are dealing with the reopening of their economies and we hear absolutely nothing about it on Irish media. We hear some of Britain and loads and loads from America.

Are we just a sad little America obsessed country?

Not all of us. Just some.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The EU should be advising us now. Not quite as cohesive as I thought it might be, but Sweden is a member remember. Don't want to rock the boat.

Feck Trump and PK. I wouldn't worry about that at all. That's just because PK can comment from afar and no problem there either, Trump is a dolt anyway. Everyone knows it and the Emperor has no clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Many of us are screaming out to hear more about how European countries are dealing with the reopening of their economies

Agree. It's far easier to send a reporter to the next school, business or sports club on the list to regurgitate the same story about how they're dealing with the crisis...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,746 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Word on the grapevine is that Pat Kenny is getting a statue of Luke O'Neill built so that he can put it in his Dalkey garden next to his rose bush.

Advertisement