Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Going by this thread I'm surprised how many far right types listen to PK show.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Honestly once you started pimping Obama and defending why he’s not open to scrutiny I stopped reading. This is what the Irish media does all day. Bill, Biden, Hillary and Obama can do no wrong.

I never said they can do no wrong.

The difference they'd admit they do wrong but Trump just goes on about what a fantastic and beautiful job he's doing in tweets sent out from his bunker.

Also my opinion of them is not based on the media but his own actions.

His marathon press conferences recently over Covid showed how narcissistic he is and what a poor leader and diplomat he is.

That's based purely on what I see not on media coverage.

Also don't see how I've been pimiping Obama. I just said he's not as divisive as Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,145 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

This is the sort of divisive rubbish that we've come to. People throwing out terms like far right, far left, populist etc. The usual language of division.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

murpho999 wrote: »
    I never said they can do no wrong.

The difference they'd admit they do wrong but Trump just goes on about what a fantastic and beautiful job he's doing in tweets sent out from his bunker.

Also don't see how I've been pimiping Obama. I just said he's not as divisive as Trump.

Are you insane, Bill, Hillary, Obama, Biden, they’d admit they were wrong, seriously are you that far gone you see them as saints, they never admitted any wrong doing so therefore they didn’t do anything wrong. There sick puppies you just can’t see it.

You said, “ Unlike Obama he is a divisive figure and therefore warrants scrutiny by the media and questioning by politicians.”

What do you mean, Obama is a but thick so he doesn’t warranty scrutiny.

You think Trump is actually making his own tweets...gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Are you insane, Bill, Hillary, Obama, Biden, they’d admit they were wrong, seriously are you that far gone you see them as saints, they never admitted any wrong doing so therefore they didn’t do anything wrong. There sick puppies you just can’t see it.

You said, “ Unlike Obama he is a divisive figure and therefore warrants scrutiny by the media and questioning by politicians.”

Oh whatever you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

Obama was more popular around the world than Trump. That's what I meant by less divisive.

As for Trump's tweets, they're all sent out in his name so therefore reflect him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Are you saying that American president allows someone to make statements in his name that he doesn't agree with?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

He is absolutely making his own tweets. There may be times when he is tweeting on advice but I am as close to as sure as I can be without looking over his shoulder that he is clicking send on them.
    There is no way it would have not gotten out if some of the stuff which has made him look so bad had been coming from someone else.
    That person would have been hung out to dry long ago.

All RTÉ, Independent, Irish Times, Newstalk are the same all journalists presenters are on the same bandwagon. Orange man bad day in day out it’s tiresome they all backed the wrong horse championing Hillary and are still moaning. You’d question how much the left has penetrated our media that we have ended up in a situation where everyone has to say and think the same. It’s lame.

Apart from Ivan Yates, (George Hook (formerly but pricking up a bit on Twitter lately)) Niall Boylan, Ian O'Doherty, Mary Kenny, to name just a few.

People weren't aghast that Hillary lost, they were aghast that Trump won. There is a massive difference and the last 3 years has for once shown that those who said he would be a dangerous disaster were 100% correct.

Look around you, protests in many countries worldwide at the inherent injustice suffered by many in the US and the direction that that country has taken in recent times. Ignoring that or lamenting that the 'Left' has penetrated media shows your true feelings about the grievances people feel.

Many complained about protests in Ireland with statements like 'there's enough to protest about at home and they don't do it' but guess what, when people protested demanding climate action, for nurses pay, on direct provision, on the housing crisis etc these Boards were full of the same people decrying those actions.

The last few years have shown Trump to be selfish, money focused, unable to build a consensus, wanting to undermine the role of the media and most dangerously, undermining the importance of science in guiding public strategy. Again, we have seen people echo those views on Boards while lamenting 'the Left' and 'PC gone mad' and all the other buzzwords but thankfully thus far has been limited to Peter Casey getting 23%.

It's just bizarre that as America finally (seems) to be realizing what a mess Trump has made of the country, there are some in Ireland who at the same time are wishing we had someone like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ahwell

All RTÉ, Independent, Irish Times, Newstalk are the same all journalists presenters are on the same bandwagon. Orange man bad day in day out it’s tiresome they all backed the wrong horse championing Hillary and are still moaning. You’d question how much the left has penetrated our media that we have ended up in a situation where everyone has to say and think the same. It’s lame.

A poll in Ireland prior to the US election had support for Clinton here at 82%, Trump 6% and 12% undecided. That fact that our media reflects this is hardly surprising.

You are trying to shoehorn the American notion of the "left" into an Irish context, it doesn't work. What they laughably refer to as the left would encompass our entire political system. Pat Kenny is not of the left. He does think that Donald Trump is blatantly unsuited to the role of President of the United States, I agree with him. I also strongly suspect if a poll was taken now in Ireland on Trump's suitability for the role the results would be quite similar to the poll results above.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PuddingBreath

i'm not trying to goad or troll you, i have a genuine question as to how trump has been such a disaster ? I only sort of keep an eye on it so maybe i'm really uninformed. They were doing well with joblessness over there till covid. we were told over here he'd start WW3, launch nuclear bombs and wreck the world economy, those that hate him would say just give him enough time, those that love him will say he does no wrong, i'd be just meh about him, he's just more "boombastic" (nicest way i can put it, lol) about the horrible things the USA administration does.
    Ireland doesn't seem to have been affected at all by his presidency. One thing he's done well is shining a light on China, unfortunately we're all learning the hard way about China's honesty issues.
    Obama might have been great, i dunno, but it seems he kept the war mongering going around the world and he didn't close Guantanamo Bay after 8 years. maybe he tried, maybe there was reasons... but at the end of the day every US president of modern times(including Obama) is a war criminal IMO. I would paint them all with the same brush. I was hoping maybe sanders would become next US president as they might change their war mongering policies, but from listening to a guy on youtube called Jimmy Dore it now seems he duped people into believing he was something he isn't.
    I can't listen to Pat Kenny any more, if he was even handed about all sides in the USA I might have a shred of respect for him, maybe it's a newstalk thing. maybe he's on a bonus for bashing trump, lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,596 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

It's gas isn't it.

Anytime I log in to boards and there's a couple of pages on this thread, I know there's been something about racism somewhere, and the lads have popped into the thread to decry the coverage of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Does anyone think the great Obama would have being elected president if he was white, would he hell, a clown who couldn't string a sentence together without pausing after every two or three words while reading from a script or auto cue.

And i have zero time for Trump by the way but hes calls it like he sees it, a typical example of that was when he told Prince Harry and Megan that the would have to pay for their own security when the moved there, do you think the likes of Obama of Clinton would have done it, not likely.

i'm not trying to goad or troll you, i have a genuine question as to how trump has been such a disaster ? I only sort of keep an eye on it so maybe i'm really uninformed. They were doing well with joblessness over there till covid. we were told over here he'd start WW3, launch nuclear bombs and wreck the world economy, those that hate him would say just give him enough time, those that love him will say he does no wrong, i'd be just meh about him, he's just more "boombastic" (nicest way i can put it, lol) about the horrible things the USA administration does.
    Ireland doesn't seem to have been affected at all by his presidency. One thing he's done well is shining a light on China, unfortunately we're all learning the hard way about China's honesty issues.
    Obama might have been great, i dunno, but it seems he kept the war mongering going around the world and he didn't close Guantanamo Bay after 8 years. maybe he tried, maybe there was reasons... but at the end of the day every US president of modern times(including Obama) is a war criminal IMO. I would paint them all with the same brush. I was hoping maybe sanders would become next US president as they might change their war mongering policies, but from listening to a guy on youtube called Jimmy Dore it now seems he duped people into believing he was something he isn't.
    I can't listen to Pat Kenny any more, if he was even handed about all sides in the USA I might have a shred of respect for him, maybe it's a newstalk thing. maybe he's on a bonus for bashing trump, lol

There's so much I could say about this but I'll leave it to this.

Ireland is affected in much of the rhetoric which Trump has enforced is happening more and more in Irish circles now.
    Distrust of the media is one thing. And a growing cohort of people eager to dismiss scientific guidance in terms of the medical situation or the environment believing that bluster and keeping your hand in the sand is the right approach is another.

mgn wrote: »
    Does anyone think the great Obama would have being elected president if he was white, would he hell, a clown who couldn't string a sentence together without pausing after every two or three words while reading from a script or auto cue.

And i have zero time for Trump by the way but hes calls it like he sees it, a typical example of that was when he told Prince Harry and Megan that the would have to pay for their own security when the moved there, do you think the likes of Obama of Clinton would have done it, not likely.

Do you know what happens if everyone "calls it like they see it"?

Do you think that would be constructive?

Do you think diplomacy is a useless concept and everyone should just going around saying whatever they like?

There's so much I could say about this but I'll leave it to this.

Ireland is affected in much of the rhetoric which Trump has enforced is happening more and more in Irish circles now.
    Distrust of the media is one thing. And a growing cohort of people eager to dismiss scientific guidance in terms of the medical situation or the environment believing that bluster and keeping your hand in the sand is the right approach is another.

Mainstream media should reduce coverage of Trump then ?

Oh wait, he's good for ratings.

Mainstream media should reduce coverage of Trump then ?

Oh wait, he's good for ratings.

He's currently the single most controversial/significant/impactful individual person on the planet at a time when the country in which he is President is experiencing the worst pandemic since the spanish flu, the worst employment since the great depression and possibly the worst racial tensions since the 1968 race riots.

Anyone who thinks he shouldn't be discussed either has no knowledge/interest in current affairs, or just doesn't like to see him get bad press.

I've thought you had a strong dislike of Pat Kenny, maybe it is more that you don't want a light shone on Trump's incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

How did you come to that conclusion? Trudeau did tell them to pay their own bills and I really don't know why anyone else would cover the bills for British millionaire royals. And frankly how anyone would act around Harry and Megan is completely irrelevant. What is relevant is Iran nuclear deal, health care in America, global warming, Brexit... I'm not saying everything Trump did is bad but he does produce an awful lot material to laugh at or to be horrified by it.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Do you know what happens if everyone "calls it like they see it"?

Do you think that would be constructive?

Do you think diplomacy is a useless concept and everyone should just going around saying whatever they like?

Have a look at our own politicians in the main party's going around like robots being told what to say, you mean to tell me that's healthy for society, the likes of Leo Varadkar gets away without any scrutiny in the media because hes gay and reporters are terrified to say say anything negative about him.
    Every radio and TV station on about Trump and the USA for the past week, what about all the problems we have this country.

meeeeh wrote: »
    How did you come to that conclusion? Trudeau did tell them to pay their own bills and I really don't know why anyone else would cover the bills for British millionaire royals. And frankly how anyone would act around Harry and Megan is completely irrelevant. What is relevant is Iran nuclear deal, health care in America, global warming, Brexit... I'm not saying everything Trump did is bad but he does produce an awful lot material to laugh at or to be horrified by it.

Whats America health care got to do with this country, look at the state of our own, as for global warming, we are only a dot in the Atlantic ocean compare to what other countries are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I like Pat I thought he actually deserved the big money in RTE but this constant anti Trump attack everyday is tiresome and doesn't reflect well on him as a broadcaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,915 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It is tiresome, only because Trump himself is tiresome. Every day it's like oh what the actual fück has he done today.

It is tiresome, only because Trump himself is tiresome. Every day it's like oh what the actual fück has he done today.

It would be irresponsible to stop covering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Ffs! "calls it like it is" the biggest excuse for defending racism in the history of the World.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Malcolm Byrne (possibly Ireland's shortest ever serving Td) was tweeting about Hong Kong. Jaysus Malcolm come out of the fog. You couldn't pick it on a map

• Registered Users Posts: 15,915 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    It would be irresponsible to stop covering it.

Not saying it doesn't need to be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The crux of the matter is that the entire MSM in Ireland is left leaning and many people’s legitimate views and concerns are not being represented anymore.

Mention Foreigners, Travellers, Asylum seekers, Permanent SW beneficiaries, free houses etc. And you are silenced..

A bit of balance is good, but I reckon PK is muzzled in that regard also. Except when it comes to other countries..then he can let fly.

A bit of balance here would be good, but it is not allowed re Ireland anyway.

Ffs! "calls it like it is" the biggest excuse for defending racism in the history of the World.

The ones that keep shouting racism are the very ones that never experienced it but it makes them feel better to call other people racist in their sad little world.

Not saying it doesn't need to be covered.

I was agreeing with your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Who’s defending Racism? It’s perfectly fine to crack down on a minority when they step outside of civility. If the guards cracked down on minority’s here for showing 0 respect for the rule of law would you call them racist. Would Leo be racist for ordering them to do their job?

I really don’t know what the point of Kenny’s chat was about this morning, I’m starting to think he deliberately wanted to be called out as nobody is doing it here, he’s smart enough to know who he’s going to be chatting to and their opinion. He’s got it wrong on the bleach clip though, he never watched the start, Trump was just giving them what they wanted. Fake News.

• Advertisement

He's currently the single most controversial/significant/impactful individual person on the planet at a time when the country in which he is President is experiencing the worst pandemic since the spanish flu, the worst employment since the great depression and possibly the worst racial tensions since the 1968 race riots.

Anyone who thinks he shouldn't be discussed either has no knowledge/interest in current affairs, or just doesn't like to see him get bad press.

I've thought you had a strong dislike of Pat Kenny, maybe it is more that you don't want a light shone on Trump's incompetence.

Oh again, you mistakingly assume some sympathy for Trump because I didn't come out with the usual Trump rantings from people that don't like him.

Of course he can be discussed, but Irish issues should always dominate on Irish media.

There is increasingly little international news coverage now in Irish media. Our version of international news is Trump and Brexit and that's it.

Advertisement