Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Anyone else noticed that the YouTube app is a bit shakey? YouTube casting (or whatever it's called) to my ps3 (wired) & chromecast (one floor up) is perfect but casting YouTube on the now TV box is dodgy i.e. Takes a while to register on my phone (ps3 & chromecast visible immediately) and when selected takes a while to kick in on the box and once running buffers so much that I quit my experiment early (have 120 Meg UPC and the box is literally 5 feet from the router; an Archer C7, so wifi reception has never been an issue on the box). Anyway more of an observation in case anyone else is seeing similar but didn't have an alternative reference. Still it's a great addition, hopefully a future update will stabilize it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Anyone having trouble with Now TV at the moment? It bombed out on me about 20 minutes ago and now it won't play any Sky content.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Wasn't NowTV supposed to launch officially in Ireland in 2013 or something?

What ever happened to that?

NowTV definitely seems like a handy alternative to Sky Multiroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

bajer101 wrote: »
    Anyone having trouble with Now TV at the moment? It bombed out on me about 20 minutes ago and now it won't play any Sky content.

Yep, my first day viewing and I aint streaming any content.

This a regular thing?

Mallagio wrote: »
    Yep, my first day viewing and I aint streaming any content.

This a regular thing?

Not really, but it has happened before. It is definitely not as reliable as Netflix. It's Sky, so the support is also shít. On the plus side, when it has happened before they gave a free month's subscription to users affected. It's a bit of a pain though. I have two Now TV boxes and one Smart TV with the Now TV app, so I rely on it a lot. I just checked and it's still down for me and not a word about the problem on their twitter or blog feed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Box is done for me also...I'll be looking for me moolahs back for this month's worth!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/08/internet-routers-hitting-512k-limit-some-become-unreliable/

1149.strip.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Mine is working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Think I'm gonna buy this as I heard that you can now get a 7 day sky sports sub for £11.99, anyone else hear the same ? Be great for the Ryder Cup soon, if true I'll be able to watch the entire thing for under €15 which is a lot cheap than paying for several day passes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Think I'm gonna buy this as I heard that you can now get a 7 day sky sports sub for £11.99, anyone else hear the same ? Be great for the Ryder Cup soon, if true I'll be able to watch the entire thing for under €15 which is a lot cheap than paying for several day passes

Yeah, there's now a week pass available for £10.99. See link below.
    http://www.nowtv.com/sports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,311 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Wondering if the Sky Sports 24 passes on Ebay are still worth buying? I can't see a place to enter the vouchers on the website anymore?

EDIT: I was wrong. There is still the option to input a voucher.

NowTV went off the air for a couple of hours on Friday and there have been intermittent problems since then. It went off the air again last night and there are still problems and their support has been terrible. I had cancelled my Netflix subscription as I couldn't justify paying for both Netflix and NowTV. I liked the NowTV box as it allows me to run Plex, but after these recent problems and their lack of response to my support calls, I decided that I would cancel NowTV and resume my Netflix subscription. I tweeted this on the NowTV twitter feed and they promptly deleted my tweets. What the hell was I thinking in even subscribing to a News International service in the first place! Fúck you Sky.

"@nowtvhelp When my current subs expire I am cancelling and moving back to #Netflix."

"@nowtvhelp #Netflix support = How can I help you? #NowTV support = Shut up and get over it."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

I tweeted this on the NowTV twitter feed and they promptly deleted my tweets. What the hell was I thinking in even subscribing to a News International service in the first place! Fúck you Sky.

"@nowtvhelp When my current subs expire I am cancelling and moving back to #Netflix."

"@nowtvhelp #Netflix support = How can I help you? #NowTV support = Shut up and get over it."
    No - your tweets are still there - sent by you bout an hour ago (presuming you are ***** *****).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    No - your tweets are still there - sent by you bout an hour ago (presuming you are ***** *****).

shhh, it's a secret! :p

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    vibe666 wrote: »
    shhh, it's a secret! :p

Gone from my view - even in incognito view.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

You can now side load smoothstreams onto it.

Beta Released
    Download https://github.com/jayjays66/smooothstreams.roku/releases/download/1.0/smoothStreams.zip
    Project https://github.com/jayjays66/smooothstreams.roku

for now this needs to be sideloaded to Roku/NowTv. See http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/08/sky-now-tv-plex/ for how to do this but upload the smoothstreams.zip instead.

Courtesy of 'jayjay66'
    Invitations closed btw and will never be open publicly again.

califano wrote: »
    You can now side load smoothstreams onto it.

Do you have a link? Is smoothstreams still invitation only?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

yep will try later...i think this can be done from settings menu. i actually have 2 boxes and they're both giving unavailable channel store.

I've no subs with nowtv. I did have vpn with unotelly while it was free but not anymore...wonder was this the problem?? kinda happened round the time that ran out.

it was vpn related why I couldn't see the channel store...i got another free month fom unotelly and no problems now

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

Hey guys, my nowtv box completely died yesterday, no power, no lights, not being picked up by the TV etc. Sent a message to customer services and within 5 minutes of giving them the serial number they've organised for me to get a new box for free :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

Using the Sky Sports pass here and the Picture Quality is amazing compared to the satelitte feed I have.

If they ever bring in a month pass I'll ditch the satellite sub for Sky Sports on sat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Just loaded the Youtube app. Able to push video from android device to Roku NowTV box. This box is becoming an essential peice of kit for any Living Room!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

When xbmc can be loaded onto this box they will sell a shed load of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

reni10 wrote: »

XBMC is for people who've never heard of plex. :pac:

Also, they've already sold several shed loads of them. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

But Plex ain't half as good as XBMC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

Plex needs a server running so is not nearly a good as xbmc in that regard!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Technophobe Stupid Question Alert

Can I use this box with a Netflix account on a non internet TV?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭dogtoffee

Technophobe Stupid Question Alert

Can I use this box with a Netflix account on a non internet TV?

Thanks.
    No can't be done yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Thank you

reni10 wrote: »

You could be waiting a looong time, firmware is encrypted with a per device key. Some very bright people have been at this for over a year and all they have so far is uart boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

They are both differing things. XBMC is a media center and plex is a dlna media streamer albeit with media center features too but no where near as complete as xbmc.

XBMC can take plex streams as it can interpret DLNA and play them no bother a long with a mile long list of other things it can do.

Also see: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Add-on:PleXBMC

Advertisement