Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

RustyP wrote: »
    Yeah it's as simple as that! I'm going to buy a pass myself for the Ryder Cup

yep...all he'll need to do is put in his wifi password...he won't even need to login to your nowtv account as it'll login automatically.

hopefully he has a decent broadband connection with no download limits - just something to beware of!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭Doodah7

The Ryder Cup was the exact reason I got the Now TV box. The box, a three month entertainment pass and a weekly sports pass is still cheaper than one month's subscription!!

Having Sky Sports News in another room away from the main Sky box is another plus for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

Thanks for the replies guys. He said that his broadband speeds are good. Good point to ask him about the download limit - I have forgotten about things like that since moving provider myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Can you access existing sky sub through these boxes? Likely answer is no but half hoping you can!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

WHL wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys. He said that his broadband speeds are good. Good point to ask him about the download limit - I have forgotten about things like that since moving provider myself :)

I loan mine to the in-laws sometimes who I think have 1MB Eircom and it's fine but they've a 10gb monthly limit so could go over that quite easily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

dahat wrote: »
    Can you access existing sky sub through these boxes? Likely answer is no but half hoping you can!

You cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

rochestown wrote: »
    It being a UK box does it require a UK IP address for it to work with the 24 hour sports passes? Thanks...

as i've already said....
    vibe666 wrote: »
    Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CoffeeAnathema

Hi,

I'm just checking whether you absolutely need this box to get a Sports DayPass, as the website seems willing to let me pay for one, in full cognisance of the facts that I don't have a NowTV box and am in Ireland.

Also, I'm not sure this works out any better than a subscription. Say I just want to watch the Pro12 matches. There are 69 match days (22 rounds of 3 plus 3 for the playoffs). At the current rate (which doesn't hold out until November btw) of 6.99GBP - about €8.77 - that makes over €600. Even a 7-day pass (about €13.78 for 24 weeks) works out at 330.72. That's not much better than a Sky Sports subscription for the same 9 months, especially if you take the box and its reshipping through Parcelmotel into account. Am I right, or am I missing something here?

Either way, I'm not looking forward to giving more money to Sky (has to be said). The subscription will mostly go to waste, because I'm not interested in much more than rugby :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Hi,

I'm just checking whether you absolutely need this box to get a Sports DayPass, as the website seems willing to let me pay for one, in full cognisance of the facts that I don't have a NowTV box and am in Ireland.

Also, I'm not sure this works out any better than a subscription. Say I just want to watch the Pro12 matches. There are 69 match days (22 rounds of 3 plus 3 for the playoffs). At the current rate (which doesn't hold out until November btw) of 6.99GBP - about €8.77 - that makes over €600. Even a 7-day pass (about €13.78 for 24 weeks) works out at 330.72. That's not much better than a Sky Sports subscription for the same 9 months, especially if you take the box and its reshipping through Parcelmotel into account. Am I right, or am I missing something here?

Either way, I'm not looking forward to giving more money to Sky (has to be said). The subscription will mostly go to waste, because I'm not interested in much more than rugby :(

You don't need the box really, they offer apps for mobile and Xbox among others. So you can still watch without the box. I think the apps are region locked to the UK though.

Most people will see the benefit by only ordering Sky Sports for certain matches or say for the Ryder Cup etc. Instead of paying for the whole season you have the advantage of picking and choosing what you want.

The same goes for movies of TV shows. Say your a Game of Thrones fan, you could order the TV pass for the 3 months of the show and then cancel after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭rochestown

DubDJ wrote: »
    You don't need the box really, they offer apps for mobile and Xbox among others. So you can still watch without the box. I think the apps are region locked to the UK though.

Most people will see the benefit by only ordering Sky Sports for certain matches or say for the Ryder Cup etc. Instead of paying for the whole season you have the advantage of picking and choosing what you want.

The same goes for movies of TV shows. Say your a Game of Thrones fan, you could order the TV pass for the 3 months of the show and then cancel after that.

Is there a box that will allow Sky Sports and BT Sports to be ordered on a 24 hour basis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Is there anywere I can get cheap sports passes for Now tv box? Just want it for the Ryder Cup. Looked on ebay, not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

toby2111 wrote: »
    Is there anywere I can get cheap sports passes for Now tv box? Just want it for the Ryder Cup. Looked on ebay, not great.

Id say pick up a SkySports week pass if you want to catch all the action works out at about 15 euro.

Sounds good. Do I get that week pass from the Now tv site? And do they email the code straight away?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

toby2111 wrote: »
    Sounds good. Do I get that week pass from the Now tv site? And do they email the code straight away?

No email, it gets added to your account and when you use the NowTV app you can activate it and start watching.

Can only see Sport Day Passes for £6.99 on Now tv site , no sign of the week pass....

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

Sports passes are good but the service has gone down for important events. (Major games, Prem league last day etc). The lack of HD could be another turn off for others but thanks to NOWTV ive enjoyed Skysports very cheaply for the past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

Does anyone experience a lot of buffering on now tv? The iplayer etc works fine but the now tv app buffers a lot.

Does anyone experience a lot of buffering on now tv? The iplayer etc works fine but the now tv app buffers a lot.

The live channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

No it buffers on the box sets as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Very rarely does mine buffer.

Maybe if im downloading a few torrents at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Yes I gave up on it, There would be no issue with netflix, iplayer, 4od. Nowtv would either buffer like bejaysus and/or switch to 200mb divx quality. Tons of posts on their forum of people with 100meg+ connections and buffering. Its not a connection or QOS issue seems to be supersensitive to jitter and keeps renegotiating the bit rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭TheInspector

Has anyone else noticed the problem with 4OD when you click on collections and try to view the ch4 shorts (the very first one) the box claps up and returns you to the channels page?

Everything on 4OD works fine just the short collection.

the only 4OD issue i have is all the mountains of the same fecking adverts over and over and not being able to skip them, even if you're coming back to a program you have semi-watched previously.

EDIT: aha! :D

managed to cut down on 4OD ads by about 90% by blacklisting two addresses on my router. :)

"realmedia.channel4.com" and "216.120.238.16"

now I just get a single short ad for another 4OD show and sometimes another quick (5 second) one if the show is sponsored by someone (like webuyanycar for come dine with me). much more watchable now! :D

if you don't have a router that allows you to blacklist certain URL's or IP's then touch sh!t! (just kidding! :D). You could probably do it by using openDNS on your router and putting filters in your openDNS config. :)

as I find other stuff that is full of ads I'll include those too, although I do already have a pretty comprehensive ad/spam/phishing blocking script on the router, but you need to have the ability to add scripts to your router config (which usually means using a 3rd party firmware like tomato, ddwrt or openwrt) for it to work, so it's not a universal solution for everyone, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

is sports in hd on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Thinking of getting one of these (and slowly reading through this entire thread) but I have a quick question,

When I buy a monthly pass for movies, does the month start from the date purchased, or do I have to input a code to validate it and the months viewing starts from them?

I'm going away on holidays in a fortnight and wondering if i can hold back on starting my months viewing until I get back from hols, if I buy the box and monthly pass today will I have any issues? There wont be any problem starting my months viewing til I get home from hols will there?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

I'd be very interested in implementing the adblocking on my router.

I'm running a DD-WRT router as my main router with a UPC router in bridge mode.

Would you mind sharing the full commands you have that are allowing 4OD ad's to be blocked?

If you don't mind me asking the "ad/spam/phishing blocking script" you mentioned, what else do you have in there? :-)
    the only 4OD issue i have is all the mountains of the same fecking adverts over and over and not being able to skip them, even if you're coming back to a program you have semi-watched previously.

managed to cut down on 4OD ads by about 90% by blacklisting two addresses on my router. :)

now I just get a single short ad for another 4OD show and sometimes another quick (5 second) one if the show is sponsored by someone (like webuyanycar for come dine with me). much more watchable now! :D

if you don't have a router that allows you to blacklist certain URL's or IP's then touch sh!t! (just kidding! :D). You could probably do it by using openDNS on your router and putting filters in your openDNS config. :)

as I find other stuff that is full of ads I'll include those too, although I do already have a pretty comprehensive ad/spam/phishing blocking script on the router, but you need to have the ability to add scripts to your router config (which usually means using a 3rd party firmware like tomato, ddwrt or openwrt) for it to work, so it's not a universal solution for everyone, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭bromley52

Moyglish wrote: »
    Thinking of getting one of these (and slowly reading through this entire thread) but I have a quick question,

When I buy a monthly pass for movies, does the month start from the date purchased, or do I have to input a code to validate it and the months viewing starts from them?

I'm going away on holidays in a fortnight and wondering if i can hold back on starting my months viewing until I get back from hols, if I buy the box and monthly pass today will I have any issues? There wont be any problem starting my months viewing til I get home from hols will there?

Thanks

365 days for the sports passes. Not sure about the others. Would made a nice stocking filler.

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Save-sports-pass-for-later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭bromley52

Would you mind sharing the script you are using as I would love to add it to my dd-wrt router?
    Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

rogercross wrote: »
    I'd be very interested in implementing the adblocking on my router.

I'm running a DD-WRT router as my main router with a UPC router in bridge mode.

Would you mind sharing the full commands you have that are allowing 4OD ad's to be blocked?

If you don't mind me asking the "ad/spam/phishing blocking script" you mentioned, what else do you have in there? :-)

here's the ad-blocking script from my router.

i have it in the "WAN Up" script section of the router config, so to refresh it (which takes a couple of minutes) all I need to do is release and renew the WAN IP for a couple of seconds from the main config page to reload it, which is handy.

you can also edit it with a few options like using a static image in place of ads so you can see what is actually getting blocked instead of them just being missing and that kind of thing, but I don't bother.

I use the tomato firmware on a linksys e3000, not dd-wrt so yours may be slightly different, but as far as i know it also has an option for adding various scripts, so it *should* work but i'd follow the url at the top of the script (http://goo.gl/mhykQ) to the forum thread about it if i were you, just to confirm before you try it.
    ## ALL-U-NEED Ad Blocking v3.9e
    ## http://goo.gl/mhykQ
    ## Original script by YAQUI
    ## Updated by ~nephelim~, Syl, jochen, groosh, ng12345, ray123, mstombs
    ## base64 decoder by Danny Chouinard's

sleep 10

ADB="/tmp/ADBLOCK.sh"
    {
    cat <<'ENDF' >$ADB
    #!/bin/sh

OPTIMISE="Y"
    GETS="1 2 3 4 5 6"
    TRIM_BEGIN=1
    S1="http://www.malwaredomainlist.com/hostslist/hosts.txt"
    S2="http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/serverlist.php?hostformat=hosts&mimetype=plaintext"
    S3="http://hosts-file.net/ad_servers.asp"
    S4="http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.txt"
    S5="http://sysctl.org/cameleon/hosts"
    S6="http://hosts-file.net/hphosts-partial.asp"

USEWHITELIST="Y" # N/Y/R for remote
    WURL="http://example.com/whitelist.txt"
    WHITE="intel.com""facebook.com"
    BLACK="realmedia.channel4.com" "216.120.238.16"

USEPIXELSERV="N"
    PXL_IP=192.168.1.2
    PXL_EXE="/tmp/pixelserv"
    PXL_URL="http://example.com/pixelserv"

UPLOAD="N"
    FTP_SERVER="example.com"
    FTP_USER=""
    FTP_PASS=""
    FTP_PORT=21
    FTP_PATH="/gen"

ADD_CONF="N"
    USEHOSTS="N"
    ROUTER="Y"

NIP="0.0.0.0"

ENDF
    }

UPDATE="Y"
    AUP() {
    if [[ "$UPDATE" == "Y" ]] ; then
    if [[ "$(cru l | grep AdUpd | cut -d '#' -f2)" != "AdUpd" ]] ; then
    cru a AdUpd "0 4 * * * $ADB"
    fi
    fi
    }

#### DO NOT EDIT BELOW ####

b64="openssl enc -base64 -d"
    [[ "$(echo WQ==|$b64)" != "Y" ]] && b64="b64" 

b64(){
    awk 'BEGIN{b64="ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789+/"}
    {for(i=1;i<=length($0);i++){c=index(b64,substr($0,i,1));if(c--)
    for(b=0;b<6;b++){o=o*2+int(c/32);c=(c*2)%64;if(++obc==8){if(o)
    {printf"%c",o}else{system("echo -en \"\\0\"")}obc=o=0}}}}';}

{
    cat <<'ENDF'| $b64 |gunzip >>$ADB
    H4sIAJn5fk4CA61Xe2/aSBD/359iuvHFkKsx5Jq7KtSRCI+ASgCBc+kpJBG1F1gV
    bGo7j17od7/ZWRsMJG2kXpMq693Zmd+8Zyv9s4Gt72ln9Y7NrHi+sCbcZ5pz3ks+
    Yz5fMK3a7TSSDTfwx0xrdgfOINmZBlEcMe2y0WrXk62HqYg50/CfGMPVFegVlANv
    bCjC9TUsl3KP6blFBEuYhHwBJgfDNCVvI90y/OBz4H0z8gxsGxjDm2WIp9zXwjmY
    Y9ARc2HuHWU/Z6Mo1sZCCq62+7k8PGVO0yUqly6lXuma8Gvf5d3epzbdVeCZfjGo
    91qf6u1Bvf+3QvNPBo6iegPmI+h487b+qb4+fJjwGMzu+oQWF/225k7ngQe/ry9J
    4GIsbSAm8DksHhfVUau3ApJbCC8Yw0I88lnEw/sd22zJafXA9CWvMkQzjkYtQRnk
    VYAvYjYDc9A6uxj0S7DLuQwE55VytVkwmfAQKrXTdrf6Eer9frd/DO7I94MYongU
    xuvbmvyj8fvRDFin1bMTqEwaAH/JBZ0qeeCiU6s37KI2DkIQIHzpSGdQBi8AxeAu
    nNlsqA90wUDrlWw9x91pADruLyHiHhjR8mYax4ur6Prg2LKubqzrg2HOKhwM8/py
    WFoaea3582vDnLqYx4vpNYnpUWIqwSH8ITFpsZjzlBeGNGvWKzX0RAmajtOzSoXS
    MBz6TcyXY9Cb9FENfJ+7sQh8tNYsiLjcZEvNd8F8gCNJBu+LS5UkAtoY4OZ54Imx
    4N7xMg7B9IANQ5YnX6GrJAQmU016JwmKzyEffSGHeoHPNyntDUpl7xLRKotIqpMT
    yi6fPygGioNOxKjnV7RAymArGYmRIs9up+TaeU3aHrM4upuvj5fuXUyK4Y85LuUB
    6Q636BDMLlmiGXJViuHqcKXcVowegx+AOx35Ex5BJHyXA0GTCr8F/ihi4U8K2eoi
    9Zf7SZzO77MnmQJEAez0W+cUwjKaTIH1TYus4R6Gj2Xh6qZ0+NewUKTf0hUM4+sD
    2lfLhOb4OHs0C9zRTBZbeWrd6JZnqGJG8moDkrabKDt5Iq1EZUlGu6xNJpbcdSTB
    CXGFjeqmCzAnHA9Qq9vT+lmrsy45cg/I0e4oVndPTlTF3ba4lKiy/4f1IgWnpRGr
    LDpwcvknDIWjzVDYDoMEcqZFyKazv0964G0ZGXqOsCbneVLmF4IEm02ZvpLSRpmD
    ok5WTSqta+3LprPdWy6bLafebg2c3d4i3RlhLyWPEh0aJAkpYFZatiTJUpUta1iw
    hvh/YuQtjyk3kA357GWR/UwHWYfHJbap5+ODeiW8kFbU/GciSjikaGWLTxIAVplg
    qO0kmFUL3tBZ+YkO8r+g+msibhu3ynKSwvTTdqX6kUEqKUnLoY/C1F6iQxr55Oxu
    b9PX+N06bw3qu37etmEUhDKygGarQqGQDReavXZZyCtg3oEZqBwkGKT56OELmA0w
    CgYYlLtP3T4Ob+z7E5o6J+xOoyxOimVhmvlFKHzUX7A9VlZrhu3ou6ESTYpYrtjt
    bbEre4CQfkO2YpwTvscfc3rxrZd/Y5f29zuNN3Yx/+TZejFhrJsmCtYUBFpvgmAF
    possCEShSpN0y7bByFBkNu4VMtV5ZQlySLWjHOJ0HawhD9hjZ/CBzvO7tQqJgPtx
    KHikbjec3kVvM3l77W6l9tJIyPR+98Kp959J63ixuCNv6cj0Fp3aB3OhPnqVwQDM
    XvLR7TtqJWdPpEpInGbGv777v/HLTGCNWmdwvl2qXog9d5GWWxxYJEky3f757l26
    kakCOFotDR0nP5z1jWfOSwKbY6GIPyVYNb0VIamcUEtWciAbeV7Io8i29i3FeGms
    9FFlt9o4e50uQF3M4rFreX40H0VfC3Ikp8Sm54I8Tj/gw4d6t6GheN+kCLTXLyJN
    nhDYlxlmIVZqtW2QuHUrxTwD8hV6qAEbedqElWXHbtpF6TRzrzRqnCUKeVN3YY7u
    4mkQingUi3uphDvlZiT+5fZh8d17mS7mKPrmu/YRabqy9Gn7YzL3hPcC+2WiND4C
    gsVrYKf06jlojsWMKwUU/mePs3Zs0CBEFlq/L43k2s7rElKx2+mfyhERhHe+j8X4
    R20Eo0++cWTJTp2MRTtZrqDhmCDflvJ1g/OaHGhoHpBlSfYK+ktFRvtpBaHspLBO
    AocMj8rT81cK0v4De76CG9wPAAA=
    ENDF
    }

chmod 775 $ADB
    $ADB
    AUP

I also have an entry in DNSmasq to assign specific DNS servers to the now TV.

just replace XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX with the MAC address of your nowTV(s) for iplayer etc.

remove any unused extra lines, or add new ones as required depending on your number of devices and any DNS requests from devices in the list (but only those devices) will get sent to the DNS servers of your choice. the ones listed there are for unblock-us, but change them to whatever you prefer using.

this will not affect DNS requests for any other device on your network, so you can keep using your regular DNS for other hosts.
    # Assign alternate DNS for select hosts
    # Set Specific Clients to be affected
    dhcp-mac=set:altdns,XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX #PC 1
    dhcp-mac=set:altdns,YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY #PC 2

# Set Alternate DNS
    dhcp-option=tag:altdns,option:dns-server,208.122.23.22,208.122.23.23

Advertisement