Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August weather ONLY MOD NOTE : #213

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Did i read that ken predicted a dry wkend?, well all i know is its dry here in bantry all morning pretty sunny now too, could ken be right about the wkend heres hoping:D

Well met eireann are forecasting rain, but more in the east than the west so we might miss the worst of the rain on the west coast.

I hope the east get the rain, only because I am in the west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

relaxed wrote: »
    Well met eireann are forecasting rain, but more in the east than the west so we might miss the worst of the rain on the west coast.

My younger sisters 21st is at home in Kilkenny tomorrow and I for one hope the East stays dry!
    East side :D

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

Any more details on Dublins weather tomorrow? Looked fine for days but now met are predicting rain :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

And long may that continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

And long may that continue.

It's lovely and sunny in west Galway this morning. :)

• Advertisement

Birroc wrote: »
    It's lovely and sunny in west Galway this morning. :)

Great evening out west, at least where I am, nothing but blue sky's.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Wet again today in Limerick between the sunny spells.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Any indications of weather for the 23rd - 25th August?. I've a festival to run and with total Irish optimism the majority of events are outside!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Kenring

Any indications of weather for the 23rd - 25th August?. I've a festival to run and with total Irish optimism the majority of events are outside!
    If you email me on ken@weatherman.co.nz I am happy to help. I don't wish to attract the type of negative comments I have had already when I answer requests of this sort. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

@smallwonder - if Ken tries to charge you, let the mods know as he's not allowed to tout for business at all here.

If he gives you a free "forecast", also let the mods know just to clear up any possible misinterpretation of Ken's post above.

• Advertisement

Popoutman wrote: »
    @smallwonder - if Ken tries to charge you, let the mods know as he's not allowed to tout for business at all here.

If he gives you a free "forecast", also let the mods know just to clear up any possible misinterpretation of Ken's post above.
    I am mindful of the rules and the constant attempts to entrap me. I have already had one email regarding this date and whilst I have replied in as helpful way as I felt I could, I have neither delivered a regular forecast nor charged anything. The correspondent may or may not wish to identify themselves and confirm that, that is their business. But it does highlight some interesting points about whether the rules apply for all posters here, many of whom draw wages from meteorological activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is there anything at all to suggest we could get another blast of heat before the end of the Summer?

Thargor wrote: »
    Is there anything at all to suggest we could get another blast of heat before the end of the Summer?
    I would say definitely. The exact dates are carried in most Irish newspapers that have interviewed me over the past month. May I suggest you google it. cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Well that's it for the weather, we may as well close down this forum until maybe a gale in October :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Well that's it for the weather, we may as well close down this forum until maybe a gale in October :D

Unfortunately I agree with you, even MetE last night were fairly certain that unsettled weather will remain all through this week and through next weekend.
    That will bring us to nearly half way through August a far cry from mid July this year.:(

JM Skipton wrote: »
    Unfortunately I agree with you, even MetE last night were fairly certain that unsettled weather will remain all through this week and through next weekend.
    That will bring us to nearly half way through August a far cry from mid July this year.:(
    My forecast has always been for driest weather this August between 14th-20th and 24th-31st. Summer perigeal full moon typically brings showers because of build-up of extra daytime heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

Can anybody direct me to some charts for rainfall levels nationwide for the past week or so please?

Kenring wrote: »
    My forecast has always been for driest weather this August between 14th-20th and 24th-31st. Summer perigeal full moon typically brings showers because of build-up of extra daytime heat.

You also said there may be less than a handful of wet days for any one county. (it's now day 6 and I think there has been rain in every county ever day!)
    You also said it would be dry and summery (it's been wet, fresh and autumnal so far)
    You also said we can expect some very warm days around the 7th.(no sign of that at the moment)
    You also said driest 12th-20th, now it's 14th-20th, yet you don't change forecasts once you make them, so why this time?

So far everything you have forecasted for august seems to be completely wrong.

I hope things do pickup with drier weather around 14th-20th, and warm again around 21st, but I just can't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

12z run on GFS is bringing up some nice charts :D - could be too early yet to write the month off :)

You also said there may be less than a handful of wet days for any one county. (it's now day 6 and I think there has been rain in every county ever day!)
    You also said it would be dry and summery (it's been wet, fresh and autumnal so far)
    You also said we can expect some very warm days around the 7th.(no sign of that at the moment)
    You also said driest 12th-20th, now it's 14th-20th, yet you don't change forecasts once you make them, so why this time?

So far everything you have forecasted for august seems to be completely wrong.

I hope things do pickup with drier weather around 14th-20th, and warm again around 21st, but I just can't see it happening.
    Depends what your criterion of a wet day is. Is it continual rain or just a passing shower in 24 hours? Usually I say "mostly dry" for a dry day, and that can accomodate anything up to 0.4mm. I deal with trends, not specific falls at certain times on certain roofs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

I just got a nice email from Ken dealing with my specific query with no touting

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

gihj wrote: »
    Can anybody direct me to some charts for rainfall levels nationwide for the past week or so please?

Met Eireann will has monthly data here ,so August total will give you rainfall for last week. Its a short term answer anyway :)

http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-data.asp

Any mention of Met Eireann could equally be perceived as touting for business for a professional service that many recieve wages from.
    Whatever I tell people in my emails is also not this thread's business, in the same way that people who are posters here are also free to buy things from ebay without telling the mods for boards.ie.

To be fair Ken the term "driest" is only a comparative term. For example we could have 100mm of rain between the 1st to the 13th August and then only 95mm of rain from 14th-20th August. So yes in theory the 14th-20th is drier, but its still horribly wet for most people. I enjoy your forecasts in a lighthearted way and I don't think you deserve some of the derogatory comments that have been directed at you here however your language and terminology are cleverly designed and written in a way that makes you technically correct no matter what weather we get. As a complete amateur I am going to say the 14th-20th of August is going to be sunny with scattered showers temperatures between 18-21 degrees cooler on western coasts:)

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Hoochiemama

I am mindful of the rules and the constant attempts to entrap me. I have already had one email regarding this date and whilst I have replied in as helpful way as I felt I could, I have neither delivered a regular forecast nor charged anything. The correspondent may or may not wish to identify themselves and confirm that, that is their business. But it does highlight some interesting points about whether the rules apply for all posters here, many of whom draw wages from meteorological activities.

I got an email off Ken which was nothing but polite and in no way trying to sell me anything.

..your language and terminology are cleverly designed and written in a way that makes you technically correct no matter what weather we get.
    I give information on trends and not specifics, although one does require a focus point. The oft made mistake is that focus points are misconstrued as being predictions of certainties, and this is a sometimes deliberate obfuscation by skeptics in order to denigrate me and my work. If you think 14th-20th is going to be dry with scattered showers then you have no need for my opinions. I only work for those who do not have a clear idea of weather in a time frame that is important to them. If you think that my predicting 18 months ago in my writings that a 30C heatwave would arrive on 9 July (with this information picked up by many Irish media and repeated in January), and that my prediction of a cool wet spring would be followed by my prediction of a mild June and my prediction of a hot July, followed by my prediction of floods in the last week of July, is ALL fluke, coincidence and "cleverly designed writing in a way that makes me technically correct no matter what weather we get", then it stretches logic somewhat. By all means hold an opinion, but at least explain how I managed to get the year's trends correct enough for the media to get so excited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I give information on trends and not specifics, although one does require a focus point. The oft made mistake is that focus points are misconstrued as being predictions of certainties, and this is a sometimes deliberate obfuscation by skeptics in order to denigrate me and my work. If you think 14th-20th is going to be dry with scattered showers then you have no need for my opinions. I only work for those who do not have a clear idea of weather in a time frame that is important to them. If you think that my predicting 18 months ago in my writings that a 30C heatwave would arrive on 9 July (with this information picked up by many Irish media and repeated in January), and that my prediction of a cool wet spring would be followed by my prediction of a mild June and my prediction of a hot July, followed by my prediction of floods in the last week of July, is ALL fluke, coincidence and "cleverly designed writing in a way that makes me technically correct no matter what weather we get", then it stretches logic somewhat. By all means hold an opinion, but at least explain how I managed to get the year's trends correct enough for the media to get so excited.

Are we in for a cold or mild winter Ken ?

Ken as I said I still enjoy your forecasts and I genuinely wish you well:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

I think Ken has been spot on. Its actually quite lovely in Galway for the past few days. The odd shower yes but low rainfall amounts. I have been swimming every day since Saturday too. I love this "real" summer weather.

• Advertisement

Ken as I said I still enjoy your forecasts and I genuinely wish you well:)
    Okay, sorry, I misconstrued what you said.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement