Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General FPL Chat Season 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Honestly, I find the romanticising of Michael Turner quite funny but it's come to a point where I went him to break both of his knees.

I'm not sure if the theory that he will rake in points is a joke or actually serious but I wouldn't go near him.

Although, I'm very open to be proven wrong and would actually enjoy the banter if he starts to get points every week.

But I'd just go with 3 defenders of at least 5 overall. Coleman, Vidic and Zabaleta for me.

BLASPHEMY!!

Nah, he's my 4th choice defender who just happens to be getting a run out this weekend. There are other good options out there but as a bench guy who you can throw in if the fixtures are right, he does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

BLASPHEMY!!

Nah, he's my 4th choice defender who just happens to be getting a run out this weekend. There are other good options out there but as a bench guy who you can throw in if the fixtures are right, he does the job.

Perfectly accept that!

Myself, I have Chester and Ward filling the gaps. I do get pipped sometimes though with this strategy. But not enough to change yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Honestly, I find the romanticising of Michael Turner quite funny but it's come to a point where I went him to break both of his knees.

I'm not sure if the theory that he will rake in points is a joke or actually serious but I wouldn't go near him.

Although, I'm very open to be proven wrong and would actually enjoy the banter if he starts to get points every week.

But I'd just go with 3 defenders of at least 5 overall. Coleman, Vidic and Zabaleta for me.

I guess I'm the one who has kept the bandwagon rolling along and it's part bringing a bit light-hearted fun to the forum but on a more serious note he's also very reasonably priced at 4.5. Look at his CB partner Bassong at 5.0 just because he managed to pick up two extra assists and played a few extra games and therefore clean sheets because he wasn't injured.

This tells me he has the same level of goal threat and ability to pick up a clean sheet for .5 less in price. Norwich last season were very steady at home especially and have strengthened this year which makes his price and place in a squad of 15 an even better choice. Sure you may not want to play him every week but he's not somebody to be dismissed either especially with the way the BPS is playing out. If I/anyone expected him to get little to no points why would we have him in our teams? In my eyes he's under-priced and will get the same clean-sheets that Ruddy and Bassong will get while having an equal goal-threat as Bassong.

Whittaker is a promising player at RB and I was worried he'd do something of note to put Turner under-pressure early in the season with Bassong not being fit and that has happened but we have only had one game and there's still 37 GWs to go.

We all have different strategies which is what makes this game so interesting/exciting/addictive. I don't like investing a whole pile into defense so when I see a player at a good price and with the "potential" to do well I like to give him a go. It's just nice to have a bit of fun along the way with him. Having a cult hero has never really hurt anyone and nobody has to pick him either obviously.

I appreciate somebody raising this because to me while I really enjoy the little jokes and fun with others over him I personally think he's a very good player/option to have in a squad and isn't purely a joke in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Right so for me it's either a 4-4-2
    Boruc
    Turner Mertesacker Reid Zabaleta
    Mirallas Nolan Coutinho Walcott
    Soldado (c) Dzeko (vc)

Or same but stick Hazard in off my bench for Reid and switch to a 3-5-2

Ideas/opinions more than welcome!

And long live the humour in the forum!

I can't deny the logic in what you say one bit.

I must say though. I'll be one of the first to shed a smile when he scores his first goal of the season! Let's hope that comes before any potential red cards and/or injuries though ha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

Goalkeeping headache for me this week.

Vorm away to Spurs
    Marshall home to Man C

Any advice? At the moment I'm thinking Vorm.

Stevecw wrote: »
    Boruc
    Soldado (c) Dzeko (vc)

Hazard must not be left on the bench in my opinion. Especially for Reid/Turner.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hazard must not be left on the bench in my opinion. Especially for Reid/Turner.

Hazard could easily score against United.

Stevecw wrote: »
    Boruc
    Soldado (c) Dzeko (vc)

You've paid 9.5m for Hazard because he can score points against the best teams, that's why he's the price he is. If it was me, he'd be in.

What ye all say does make sense....Hazard is in instead of Reid.
    Now got 2 reasons why I want Hazard to do damage v Utd!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I've done Hazard > Silva as my transfer. Set Soldado as my captain. Only questions that remains is to start Winston Reid (Newcastle away) or Michael Turner (away to Hull).

On paper, it should probably be Turner. Newcastle were extremely bad on Monday though, they had extremely little going forward. Any thoughts?

I've done Hazard > Silva as my transfer. Set Soldado as my captain. Only questions that remains is to start Winston Reid (Newcastle away) or Michael Turner (away to Hull).

On paper, it should probably be Turner. Newcastle were extremely bad on Monday though, they had extremely little going forward. Any thoughts?

Much of a muchness.......but probably Turner.

Turner...i'm going for anyway...bit its a 51/49 shout really

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

My 4th year playing Fantasy Football, 1st year using the price rise/fall websites.

Did players seriously rise and fall this much after the first gameweek previous seasons. At the moment my team is currently staying around breakeven, every time one goes up, another goes down. Another rise and fall due on the team tonight, with two transfers made.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    My 4th year playing Fantasy Football, 1st year using the price rise/fall websites.

Did players seriously rise and fall this much after the first gameweek previous seasons. At the moment my team is currently staying around breakeven, every time one goes up, another goes down. Another rise and fall due on the team tonight, with two transfers made.

They changed the NTI threshold last season and it meant a LOT of price changes very quickly. Think Michu went up 1 million in a month or so

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Posada

I've been playing for a good few years. I can't remember so many price drops in GW1 before. Increases yes, but drops.. no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

For GK, what's the opinion for this week between Boruc and Mingolet?

karma_ wrote: »
    For GK, what's the opinion for this week between Boruc and Mingolet?

I've both and i'm going with Boruc. Liverpool always struggle v Villa, Benteke ripped them apart last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭carraig2

Toure or Mickey turner to bench?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Steel Dog

carraig2 wrote: »
    Toure or Mickey turner to bench?
    I would play Turner but Toure is dangerous from set-pieces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Steel Dog

Anybody know if Clyne will replace Chambers in the Southampton starting 11 today after been left out last week after coming back from injury?

Brought in Joleon Lescott. One of the best defenders in Fantasy history.

Has at least a month of starts in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Brought in Joleon Lescott. One of the best defenders in Fantasy history.

Has at least a month of starts in my opinion.

Na that mantle will forever be Martin Laurson of Villa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Na that mantle will forever be Martin Laurson of Villa

True but Dunne was up there too - used to be a bonus point magnet..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Invincible

Anyone notice the "Transfer History" is not visible on site today?
    I was looking to see what changes league rivals had made.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Invincible wrote: »
    Anyone notice the "Transfer History" is not visible on site today?
    I was looking to see what changes league rivals had made.

Tis there for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

If someone is playing tomorrow and another is playing today can I lets say play Podolski today and sub him for Hazard on Monday and get points for both?

yomtea98 wrote: »
    If someone is playing tomorrow and another is playing today can I lets say play Podolski today and sub him for Hazard on Monday and get points for both?

No. Your team is set in stone on the Saturday morning deadline. Changes you make after that will only affect your team for the next gameweek.

Someone in one of my private leagues (he's 3rd atm) decided to take a 12 point hit...

McShane>Whittaker
    Downing>Wanyama
    Navas>Nolan
    Lukaku>Soldado

Still has Anelka on his bench too. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Invincible

yomtea98 wrote: »

No, you can't do that.Any team selection you change after 11.30 this morning is for next week. You might be thinking of the World cup fantasy or the Champions league one.

Advertisement