Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General FPL Chat Season 2013/14

Options

Comments

8-10 wrote: »
    Least I got this right! Haha oh well, rollercoaster of a last GW but that's how they fall.

Hard luck dude, still some good work getting to the final. Was rooting for you (even though I wanted a 0-0 or a 0-1!).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

unlucky lad I thought that last minute jovetic shot(kolarov assist) was going to do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

unlucky lad I thought that last minute jovetic shot(kolarov assist) was going to do it for you.

Same as. 1-0 was best for me but was hoping Kolarov would score or assist and equaliser, thought that was it.

Congrats on a hell of an achievement....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

A pretty good display from the Irish lads in the overall rank.
    We currently occupy 4 of the 5 top spots.... but not the top one unfortunately!

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/303/standings/

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Marty09

Can't believe FPL did'nt give any bonus points to Mata last night!!
    The guy was outstanding...
    Where they watching a different game!!?

• Advertisement

Marty09 wrote: »

No but I think you may have been:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

????? Mata was not playing last night! He played on Saturday and got 2 Bonus points

I can only assume you mean Matic....... ???

Mata got his bonus points on Saturday, from what I seen last night, I don't think Matic was ever in the reckoning for bonus points.

Edit: The new(?) bonus points system has changed this year, even if he had put in a brilliant performance, it would have been fairly impossible for him to pick up a point in a 1-0 win due to 4 main rules of thumb:
    - He didn't score
    - He didn't assist
    - He wasn't on of the 6 (Luis) defensive players where on the pitch that got CS bonuses
    - He is not Yaya

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Marty09

Can't believe FPL did'nt give any bonus points to HAZARD last night!!

Apologies...meant Hazard....no bonus points hard to believe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

Apologies...meant Hazard....no bonus points hard to believe

I agree. Hard to beileve, but as posted above, once he didn't score or assist his chances of bonus points were very limited

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Hazard had 3rd best ESP and tied worst BPS lol. Probably because he lost the ball/incomplete passes after some of his dribbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

G1032 wrote: »
    I agree. Hard to beileve, but as posted above, once he didn't score or assist his chances of bonus points were very limited

But then how the hell did Yaya get one! !

FHFC wrote: »
    But then how the hell did Yaya get one! !

By having a stormer in terms of possession, passes complete, tackles made, goal chances attempted and created.

Very unusual and very annoying.
    Zab and Kol also nearly crept in which would have been nuts too

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

PARlance wrote: »
    By having a stormer in terms of possession, passes complete, tackles made, goal chances attempted and created.

Very unusual and very annoying.
    Zab and Kol also nearly crept in which would have been nuts too

Also there's different metrics for the EA PPI and BPS, for example where the EA PPI deducts for chances missed, BPS is -1 for 3 missed shots.

This can lead to the opposing ratings in the two systems.

Also there's different metrics for the EA PPI and BPS, for example where the EA PPI deducts for chances missed, BPS is -1 for 3 missed shots.

This can lead to the opposing ratings in the two systems.

Yip, was aware of the differences alright, but saying that, while I have a decent understanding of how the new BPS system works I wasn't familiar with the old one.

I just know that the two can be/are very different, with Ivan 3, Ramires 2, Hazard 1 being the Bonuses given out under the old system for last nights game.

Seems to favour defenders..... Think I'll go 5 at the back :D:D (That's a joke going back to the start of the season when we were all parking the bus due to an unusually high % of clean sheets making us think it was the only way to go)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

PARlance wrote: »
    Yip, was aware of the differences alright, but saying that, while I have a decent understanding of how the new BPS system works I wasn't familiar with the old one.

I just know that the two can be/are very different, with Ivan 3, Ramires 2, Hazard 1 being the Bonuses given out under the old system for last nights game.

Seems to favour defenders..... Think I'll go 5 at the back :D:D (That's a joke going back to the start of the season when we were all parking the bus due to an unusually high % of clean sheets making us think it was the only way to go)

The old system was heavily weighted to attackers. The new system is more likely to reward defenders in the event of a clean sheet.

It's better than the old days of a subjective ruling from someone sent to the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Neoulous

In fairness I think the current BP system is the best I ever played with.

The first one I came across to was given by a couple of pundits I think (I remember Charlie Adam was a BP magnet with Blackpool that very year, no matter the result :pac:). It wasn't necessarily the 3 best players in the real game who got the BPs and I remember many were complaining about it.
    Last year the ESPN one was a bit of a joke. Hard to know what were the criteria. It was over-favouring attackers IMO.
    If the current one is not perfect (but which system would be?) it has 2 main advantages in my opinion:
    1. it is balanced (defensive tasks are included in the calculation)
    2. it is transparent enough. We know the criteria
    Players score BPS points based on the following statistics (one point for each unless otherwise stated):

• Playing in a game
    • Playing over 60 minutes
    • Scoring goals
    Goalkeepers and defenders (4 points)
    Midfielders (6 points)
    Fowards (8 points)
    • Assists (3 points)
    • Goalkeepers and defenders keeping a clean sheet (4 points)
    • Saving a penalty (5 points)
    • For every 3 saves
    • For every 3 open play crosses
    • Creating a big chance (a chance where the receiving player should score)
    • For every 8 clearances, blocks and interceptions (total)
    • For every 8 recoveries
    • Providing 3 key passes
    • Making 3 successful tackles (net*)
    • Scoring the goal that wins a match
    • Pass Completion (after making at least 30 passes)
    70% completion (1 point)
    80% completion (2 points)
    90% completion (3 points)

*Net successful tackles is the total of all successful tackles minus any unsuccessful tackles. Players will not be awarded negative BPS points for this statistic.

Players lose BPS points based on the following statistics (one point for each unless otherwise stated):
    • Conceding a penalty
    • Missing a penalty (-2 points)
    • Yellow cards
    • Red cards (-3 points)
    • Own goals (-2 points)
    • Missing a big chance
    • Making an error which leads to a goal
    • Every 2 errors leading to an attempt at goal
    • Being tackled 3 times
    • Conceding 2 fouls
    • Being caught offside 3 times
    • Missing the target with 3 shots
    All that to say I'm not surprised at all Hazard didn't get any BP yesterday and Yaya did. Hazard didn't assist nor scored. So he basically did nothing BP-wise. On the contrary Yaya was immense in midfield and did pretty much everything to get BPs. It may not be a good representation of what the real game was about but since FF is all about stats I think it is fair enough FF-wise to go with the stats for the BP attribution.

And that's a non-Yaya owner who's talking here :D!

Neoulous wrote: »
    The first one I came across to was given by a couple of pundits I think (I remember Charlie Adam was a BP magnet with Blackpool that very year, no matter the result :pac:).

There's been a few players like that. Certain players were just gifted bonus points to justify their price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

There's been a few players like that. Certain players were just gifted bonus points to justify their price.

I remember Richard Dunne one year getting 3 bonus for just pulling on the jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,534 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Laudrup gone from Swans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

KevIRL wrote: »
    Laudrup gone from Swans

Any particular reason given? I can see him at Spurs in the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,534 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Lemlin wrote: »
    Any particular reason given? I can see him at Spurs in the Summer.

Sacked.

From beeb
    Swansea City and manager Michael Laudrup have parted company, the Premier League club confirms.

"It is a decision we have taken reluctantly,'' says Swansea City chairman Huw Jenkins. "It is the first time in nearly 10 years that the club has parted with a manager in this way, but we had to remove the constant uncertainty surrounding the club and Michael's long-term future with us."

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

Good manager but something went amiss when he started getting interest from bigger clubs. New manager could be good from a FPL point of view. Swans are well capable of a top half finish under the right man, especially with Michu on his way back.

I feel bad for him. He didn't have the squad for a European campaign as well as PL, never mind that their best player has been injured half the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

His agent has been causing a mess behind the scenes

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Did he not have a poor enough record before Swansea? I got laughed at on here before for saying both Swansea (last season) and Newcastle (the season before) were very ordinary teams overperforming.

Guess I'm having the last laugh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Did he not have a poor enough record before Swansea? I got laughed at on here before for saying both Swansea (last season) and Newcastle (the season before) were very ordinary teams overperforming.

Well it's pretty standard for teams who have an exceptional season to have a quieter season the next. Also considering that both teams mentioned played the Europa league the following season may be a causation or merely a correlation but it means squads become stretched and naturally attention gets divided between the 2.

Swansea had an in form Michu last year and Newcastle a Ba and then a Cisse. In Both cases the purple patch ended on top of a number of injuries.

Swansea have been dire from an FPL point of view this season so maybe a change will be good from that point of view. Laudrup I believe has a record of doing well in his first season before looking for his next step on the ladder. This is anecdotal evidence of what's in my head from memory but makes sense.

It's no surprise Liverpool are stronger this season and not rocket science that the Europa league is a scourge for teams with small squads and for FPL managers looking for assets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Michael Laudrup has been successful in every single job he has been in other than his reign at Spartak Moscow.

newcastle have been decent again this year. I think the two teams dont have the squads to play in europa league and thats one of the main reasons for a dip in league form. Liverpool this year are much better off for not having to play europa league thursday night.

• Advertisement

Suarez v Sturridge

So, I've been meaning to look at this again since Sturridge has come back from injury.

Personally I took a gamble on opting to pick Sturridge over Suarez a few weeks ago, if I could turn back time, I would have planned it differently and I would have probably worked both of them into the team (along with RVP...Aguero injury being the big spanner in my differential move).
    My differential punt (needed) was RVP + Sturridge over Suarez + Aguero.

Anyway, someone else was considering the Suarez v Sturridge move so I've safety in numbers now :eek: And here are the numbers.

This season, the pairing have played together in the league on 11 occasions.
    GW's 6-12 and 21-24 inclusive

Points over those 11 games
    Suarez 106
    Sturridge 84

Points Average per game
    Suarez 9.64
    Sturridge 7.64

Exactly 2 points per game in the difference.

Now, this is where I may to skew things in my favour...but I think I'm being fairly reasonable.

Suarez has played all but 2 mins of those 11 games.
    Sturridge has missed 187 mins over 4 of those 11 games.

Now, I'm not including 2 of those games as he was subbed off in them, total from these games 44mins off the pitch. I'm not including as I think it's a given the Sturridge will get a little less gametime over the normal course of events.

But, I've taken the liberty to adjust for 2 games.
    The Everton game where he picked up his injury missing 78 mins
    And his return game versus Stoke were he missed 65 mins.

These 143 mins translated into games is 1.6 games

If we divide Sturridges total by 9.4 instead of 11

Sturridge's Adjusted Average is 8.94
    Thus closing the gap to 0.7 points

I said I'd throw this up here, it may be some food for thought for some crazies like myself (even though I would still say that people should go for both, personally it would take too much changing for me, I made my bed a few weeks ago when I transferred Suarez out before the Aguero injury)

Advertisement