Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Improvements that are needed in GAA

2456713

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48


    Live coverage online to allow viewership and interest in the game grow outside Ireland. People in Ireland will watch it on regular RTE/TV3 anyways. So there is no issue of loss of regular tv viewers to internet viewers.
    With a decent internet connection and most tvs soon being hooked up to internet you would make some impact on the situation where people abroad don't even know what the sport looks like.
    Plus I'm sure there is possible revenue sharing possibility from local based ads ran abroad in host countries.
    "This content is not available in your country" - makes no sense for RTE or the GAA. Does anyone know why GAA content on the RTE player is locked?
    Agreement with premier sports to carry content?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude


    Galway should compete in Leinster hurling at underage level too.

    Players who wave a wide should be given a yellow card. It drives me crazy to see players trying to influence an umpire's decision. It can be very difficult for an umpire sometimes. Players who make that more difficult should be punished.


  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek


    Dublin playing all their games at home needs to be stopped. Although thats unlikely given the numbers on the cash register


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey


    freddiek wrote: »
    Dublin playing all their games at home needs to be stopped. Although thats unlikely given the numbers on the cash register

    It is because of the numbers on the cash register that Dublin rarely get to play matches at home. If they increase the capacity of Parnell Park by 40,000 or 50,000 or so, then maybe Dublin might get to play a few games at home. Of course that is highly unlikely to happen. Us Dublin fans would love to get a few games at home, but they've even gone as far to deprive us of our league games at home in recent years and if that wasn't bad enough they tried to inflict Jedward on us too! I have never seen so many people head for the shops and the loos at once, not even half time on an All-Ireland final day.

    Oh by the way Freddiek, here's your spoon back. You'll need it to do a bit more stirring. Try getting your facts right before you do though. The reason we win Leinster is because we are the best team in those years, not where we play. We've lost it when other teams were better than us, and lost those games in Croke Park too. With the exception of 2001 and 2011, we've been knocked out of the All-Ireland championship in Croke Park every year this century. In 2003, 2004 and 2010 we were knocked out of Leinster in Croke Park, by better teams.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic


    freddiek wrote: »
    Dublin playing all their games at home needs to be stopped. Although thats unlikely given the numbers on the cash register

    Most Dublin fans would love to travel down the country for games? its not their fault their games are at Croke Park.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005


    Martin567 wrote: »
    Not meaning to be facetious but, after Thurles last night, umpires with proper eyesight is an urgent requirement.
    .

    to be honest, i can recall another similar incident in that exact same goal in the 1998 Munster minor final.

    must be something in the way that goal is designed - the stansion should be raised to prevent a 3rd incident.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey


    Galway should compete in Leinster hurling at underage level too.

    I disagree. Galway should compete in the Connacht Championship. The fact that there isn't one and nothing is being done about it is the real problem, not Galway. Galway is the one county in Connacht capable of winning an All-Ireland, yet it is they, not the other four counties, that are regarded as the problem. Even with Galway not in it, why hasn't the Connacht Championship been resurrected? Antrim play in Leinster and there is an Ulster Championship. With or without Galway, there should be a Connacht Hurling championship. Put London and New York into it too, like the football.


  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek


    flukey seems to inhabit a fantasy world where games at Croke Park are not homers for Dublin


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey


    The GAA while good at many things are atrocious at promoting their games.

    Very true. They miss so many opportunities. There are so many tourists around on match days around the country that don't even know about the games. Take St. Patrick's Day. Dublin is full of foreign tourists. Thousands line the route of the parade or take part in it. When it is over, they are on the lookout for other things to do as an experience of Irish culture. The bit of Irish culture that most do end up seeing is the pub culture. Meanwhile, minutes from the main viewing platform in O'Connell Street and nicely timed after the parade for people to get there, you have the All-Ireland Club finals. It is one of the very few days of the year when you have both a Hurling match and a Gaelic Football match being played there. There are thousands of empty seats, that many of those tourists would gladly fill, if they knew about it. What more special bit of Irish culture could you find in Dublin on that afternoon, yet few people know it is even happening?

    Right now we have thousands of young students here. You do see some groups of them at matches, but there certainly could be a lot more. A lot of foreigners that do end up at matches have found out by chance. They just happen to be in the area, see the crowds and ask what is going on and then decide to go. It is nothing the GAA have done to promote their games that got them there. If they did promote the games more to tourists, then just add up all those people across all venues throughout the summer and the GAA would make an awful lot more money. It wouldn't take a degree in marketing to make it happen, just a degree of common sense.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1


    cripes freddie and flukey, I've just been reading your posts on the Ciaran Kilkenny thread and I come over here and ye're still at it! Have to agree with freddie though, even in top level pro sport home advantage has always proved beneficial & surely no one could deny that Croker is a home venue for the Dubs.

    The fact they haven't won much over the years merely means that, ahem, they haven't been very good...

    Although of course the Dub fans would have no problem travelling down the country and we would more than welcome youse all :pac:


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner


    I'm in the middle of a house exchange at the moment. We met the American couple beforehand and told them to attend the Meath Dublin game.
    They knew nothing about the game beforehand. On my phone here but I'll go and grab the text and paste the email in here about what they thought of the experience , it points at rules and how the game needs to be advertised. I'm getting a picture from them and I'm going to send it into the garda to include in their newsletter if they like the story.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey


    freddiek wrote: »
    flukey seems to inhabit a fantasy world where games at Croke Park are not homers for Dublin

    Croke Park is in Dublin, but it is not Dublin's home ground. All counties have many venues in their counties, but only one is the county ground. In Dublin's case that is Parnell Park. Croke Park is no more Dublin's home ground than Cappawhite's ground is Tipperary's home ground or Confey is Kildare's home grounds. In fact Croke Park is no more Dublin's home ground than Thurles is Dublin's home ground or Casement Park is Dublin's home ground. There are about 2500 clubs in Ireland and that many and more pitches, but of them all, Parnell Park is the only one that is Dublin's home ground. Fact, not fantasy.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude


    Flukey wrote: »
    I disagree. Galway should compete in the Connacht Championship. The fact that there isn't one and nothing is being done about it is the real problem, not Galway. Galway is the one county in Connacht capable of winning an All-Ireland, yet it is they, not the other four counties, that are regarded as the problem. Even with Galway not in it, why hasn't the Connacht Championship been resurrected? Antrim play in Leinster and there is an Ulster Championship. With or without Galway, there should be a Connacht Hurling championship. Put London and New York into it too, like the football.

    So you want a senior connacht hurling championship with Galway in it? Or are you just referring to underage???

    I have often wondered why a connacht "B" championship without Galway never materialised.


  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner


    Here is the text

    I have played, and watched just about every sport a lad can in our country but must confess that what we saw today looked like the most fun of any. Continuous action and comparetively few rules. Great game!
     You'll be happy to know that Dublin, heavily favored, did win 20-14 +/-. However Meath was winning well into the second half...........so it was a good game. We only got in at half time because we were late. The most curious custom here.........if you have an extra ticket you give it to a member of the Garda. The game was sold out but everyone said ask the Garda. Which we did but because we were late and because it was a big game all of the police had given their tickets away. So we were leaving and decided to ask one more policeman. He gave us two tickets, midfield, next to the team! After the match we found him and thanked him again and got a picture with him. He will surely find his rightful place on our 'Wall of Fame'.
     Mary wanted to kiss the captain of the Dublin team. He was sooo cute....
     Hope all is well


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey


    cripes freddie and flukey, I've just been reading your posts on the Ciaran Kilkenny thread and I come over here and ye're still at it! Have to agree with freddie though, even in top level pro sport home advantage has always proved beneficial & surely no one could deny that Croker is a home venue for the Dubs.

    The fact they haven't won much over the years merely means that, ahem, they haven't been very good...

    Although of course the Dub fans would have no problem travelling down the country and we would more than welcome youse all :pac:

    Freddie likes to travel and brings his spoon with him everywhere he goes. He was here before me stirring hard. Dublin fans do travel. There is the league. As for the championship, our hurlers travel a lot and our fans and footballers would like to get out of Croke occasionally, either for a home game in Parnell Park or somewhere else. It doesn't happen often, but it is not the team or the fans that decide the venues, though we do seem to get the blame anyway. We enjoy travelling. We've seen lots of parts of Ireland this year already. At this stage of the year, with the big matches coming, it is unlikely we will get a home or an away game, and we'll be stuck in a neutral venue, namely Croke Park, for the rest of the year, however long it is. If we take Sam and/or Liam, it will be down to ability, not location.


  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek


    Flukey, you're a gas man. You're not the P.R.O for Dublin County Board by any chance?


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey


    So you want a senior connacht hurling championship with Galway in it? Or are you just referring to underage???

    I have often wondered why a connacht "B" championship without Galway never materialised.

    Ideally senior. It is the very fact that it is crazy that is the problem. The GAA should be doing something about it, something to improve the quality in the other Connacht counties. The reason for moving Galway was because of the problems in Connacht, yet since moving Galway, nothing has been done in Connacht. There should be a Connacht Hurling Championship, just like the other three provinces. Ideally Galway should be in it, with hard work going on in the other counties and even if they move Galway to Leinster, it should be continued. Roscommon, Mayo, Leitrim and Sligo are the issue, but Galway is seen as the problem. Moving Galway into Leinster ignored, not solved the real problem. It is like going into the doctor with an injured arm and coming out with the doctor having put a bandage on your head. Galway aren't and never have been the problem.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo


    Martin567 wrote: »
    Not meaning to be facetious but, after Thurles last night, umpires with proper eyesight is an urgent requirement.

    Thankfully the ref was alert enough to recognise that the penalty had been scored. It absolutely beggars belief that two umpires could stand within a few feet of the goal and remain oblivious to what had happened. There were a couple of other very controversial incidents last night but this one stands alone as it is a recurring problem. Too many umpires are either unfit to hold the position due to their poor vision or else they are simply not paying attention. Last night's incident was simply inexcusable and the fact that the correct decision was ultimately made does not change that in the slightest.

    Umpires unable to get even the basics right should stand aside and allow competent individuals to take their place.

    Wasn't just the umpires that missed it, commentator also did.

    One problem for umpires is the positioning of umpires, very difficult to judge a point when standing right beside the post. Being 1--15 feet back would give a better vantage point (impossible to enact of course). One help would be for linesmen to be used to judge, they often have a perfect view if a shot is taken from the wing and the linesman is right behind the player.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey


    freddiek wrote: »
    Flukey, you're a gas man. You're not the P.R.O for Dublin County Board by any chance?

    No I am not. They'd like a few home games too though. Decisions on our venues are usually taken above the county board's head, as indeed is the case for a few other counties too. Dublin's footballers and fans would love a few more away games, and maybe, just maybe, even a home game once in a while.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo


    Galway should compete in Leinster hurling at underage level too.

    Players who wave a wide should be given a yellow card. It drives me crazy to see players trying to influence an umpire's decision. It can be very difficult for an umpire sometimes. Players who make that more difficult should be punished.

    Even if the player is right and the umpire is wrong?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter


    Stay civilised. I can see this thread getting potentially heated so lets call this a polite warning :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3


    Stoner wrote: »
    Here is the text

    I have played, and watched just about every sport a lad can in our country but must confess that what we saw today looked like the most fun of any. Continuous action and comparetively few rules. Great game!
    You'll be happy to know that Dublin, heavily favored, did win 20-14 +/-. However Meath was winning well into the second half...........so it was a good game. We only got in at half time because we were late. The most curious custom here.........if you have an extra ticket you give it to a member of the Garda. The game was sold out but everyone said ask the Garda. Which we did but because we were late and because it was a big game all of the police had given their tickets away. So we were leaving and decided to ask one more policeman. He gave us two tickets, midfield, next to the team! After the match we found him and thanked him again and got a picture with him. He will surely find his rightful place on our 'Wall of Fame'.
    Mary wanted to kiss the captain of the Dublin team. He was sooo cute....
    Hope all is well


    Stoner, pity that those Americans did'nt attend the match in Limerick.!!
    imagine the story they would tell about the pitch invasion after the final whistle.:P


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC


    I'd like to see a rule whereby when a player is fouled he has to take the free himself.


  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner


    washman3 wrote: »
    Stoner, pity that those Americans did'nt attend the match in Limerick.!!
    imagine the story they would tell about the pitch invasion after the final whistle.:P
    I thought I'd better leave the hurling for their return visit.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo


    BNMC wrote: »
    I'd like to see a rule whereby when a player is fouled he has to take the free himself.

    same as, esp in football. Like the mark in Aussie rules, it would 'force' all players to improve their kicking

    To see a keeper coming up to take 45s isn't a great sign of the ability of the outfield players at the elite level.

    Ban allowing a point from a handpass is another I'd like to see brought in


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo


    Hidalgo wrote: »
    same as, esp in football. Like the mark in Aussie rules, it would 'force' all players to improve their kicking

    To see a keeper coming up to take 45s isn't a great sign of the ability of the outfield players at the elite level.

    Ban allowing a point from a handpass is another I'd like to see brought in

    The purpose of awarding a free is to punish the opposition though, so its a bit different from the mark in that respect.

    With such a rule you would effectivley be reducing (on average) the penalty for fouling which might end up being counter productive I feel.

    The hand passed point I would love rid of though.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow


    There are a few I'd like to see. Propper action in the first moments of a game. For example the hit on Iarla Tannian in the replay last year was a disgrace and should of been a straight red. Even if the referee had seen it then it probably wouldn't of been a yellow. It's very rare I've seen decisive action early on.

    I'd like to see the umpires given more influence whereby they can communicate or highlight a point to the referee. The umpire could tell his side of the story and the referee could act on that. Instead of this rubbish where they are afraid to make the big call.

    Also the issue of unfit referees throwing in the sliotar becuase a fowl has been committed and the referee is so far behind the game they don't know for which team so they just throw the sliotar back in.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir


    Also the issue of unfit referees throwing in the sliotar becuase a fowl has been committed and the referee is so far behind the game they don't know for which team so they just throw the sliotar back in.

    There should be two refs in hurling, one in each half. The sliotar takes a few seconds to travel the length of the pitch, how is a ref meant to get there?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow


    Padkir wrote: »
    There should be two refs in hurling, one in each half. The sliotar takes a few seconds to travel the length of the pitch, how is a ref meant to get there?

    Obviosuly it's not easy but I'm talking about nearly being at the other end of the field.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic


    BNMC wrote: »
    I'd like to see a rule whereby when a player is fouled he has to take the free himself.

    they had that years ago when when free kicks taken from the hand was introduced...also had a rule at a free kick if you bounced a solo-ed the ball before the free kick was taken the ref threw the ball up...obviously that didnt work.

    i said it yesterday in a different thread that added on time is a sham in games...always 2 minutes added on at the end of a game even though there are so many stoppages in the 2nd half..especially with subs coming on.


Advertisement